Tools for cutting 3 mm sheet aluminium

Vidar Velle

Sep 14, 2021, 4:24:51 AM9/14/21
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Hi,
I'm looking for the best tool to cut a big 3mm sheet of aluminium into 60x60 cm squares, 8 squares in total. What tools do we have in the workshop that would be suitable for that? The edges need to be smooth as the end result.

-Vidar

Stephen Rodway

Sep 14, 2021, 4:29:43 AM9/14/21
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
A few options I can think of

A) Angle grinder : Annoying to do and easy to slip and mess it up,
probably have to clean the edges manually afterwards

B) Plasma cutter : Quick and simple but noisy and makes a mess, you'll
have to clean the edges by some other method afterwards

C) Getting and fitting a metal-cutting blade to the table saw : Costly,
long setup time, neat and clean result

If you really want a neat, clean edge without putting a lot of effort in
then this might be a job for a commercial shop with a large guillotine
cutter or a laser cutter.

Steve
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/a975d366-0b2e-4fc9-b22c-a6a6bd54fe08n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/a975d366-0b2e-4fc9-b22c-a6a6bd54fe08n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Ian Petrie

Sep 14, 2021, 5:20:25 AM9/14/21
to Reading Hackspace
It doesn't need a metal blade for the table saw. The TC tip blade works fine - and survives the experience unscathed.
Clamp a sheet of plywood to the saw bed and pop the blade up through it so that there is support all round the metal as it is cut - this gives a cleaner finish and prevents chatter - though 3mm aluminium is generally stiff enough.
Wax the blade before each cut
Although an ordinary candle works just fine.
Ear defenders and eye protection of course.

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/61405D75.2050006%40legionelectronics.co.uk.

Vidar Velle

Sep 14, 2021, 6:13:42 AM9/14/21
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Thanks for the tip Ian, but I'm not sure the table saw blade would be that happy about it, so would have to use a knackered blade I guess. I was considering the band saw with metal blade but that wont give me the full width i need...

-V

Andy Noyes

Sep 14, 2021, 6:25:55 AM9/14/21
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace

I find a jigsaw the best DIY type tool for cutting large aluminium sheets, it's quicker than you might imagine and the blades are cheap. Just spray WD40 in a line ahead of where you are cutting to lubricate the blade and stop it gumming up.

A 1.2 x 2.4m sheet would be fairly awkward but possible on the table saw, I doubt the bandsaw would have a big enough throat.

Steve Rodway

Sep 14, 2021, 6:45:39 AM9/14/21
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
That's a good point Andy, I hadn't remembered about the jigsaw. The
little battery one wouldn't be up to the job but there's a mains powered
one in the back of the big metal table. Cobalt blades would go through
aluminium like a knife through butter and aren't overly expensive. You
could rig up a wooden guide rail to keep your cuts straight.

The bandsaw can cut aluminium fine with the proper blade but the
throat's only 460mm so that won't help here.

Steve
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/a975d366-0b2e-4fc9-b22c-a6a6bd54fe08n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/a975d366-0b2e-4fc9-b22c-a6a6bd54fe08n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/61405D75.2050006%40legionelectronics.co.uk
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/61405D75.2050006%40legionelectronics.co.uk>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/3ec78036-999b-4a0d-ba75-31bf36bcebf6n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/3ec78036-999b-4a0d-ba75-31bf36bcebf6n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Vidar Velle

Sep 14, 2021, 7:10:10 AM9/14/21
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Andy,

That's an excellent solution. What kind of blade are we looking at being most suitable?

Vidar Velle
Nordic Glamping LTD
Ph: 07712880021

Vidar Velle

Sep 14, 2021, 7:11:35 AM9/14/21
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Do we have cobalt blades in the space, not sure I know what to look for, or should I buy a pack?

Andrew Carson

Sep 14, 2021, 7:15:05 AM9/14/21
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I used these on some 10mm aluminium plate a while back:

It wasn't exactly easy going, but they'd probably eat their way through 3mm no problem.

Andy

Tim Masson

Sep 15, 2021, 4:11:33 AM9/15/21
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
I have used my Makita sliding mitre saw to cut some 4 & 5 mm aluminium plate.  The TC blade give an excellent burr-free finish.  I used my 'old' blade but have not got around to changing it afterwards yet (its a bit of a pfaff) and it still cuts oak to a fine finish - so I don't think there was any significant damage.  I did spray PTFE dry lubricant, but with hindsight candle wax or machine wax might have been a better choice.

The one draw-back it that my garage workshop was filled with little shreds of Al swarf - and I still find them hiding al round the place.  They aren't very sharp but they will scratch fine surfaces.

I would not use the r-lab table saw unless I could swap to an older blade, and was prepared to spend quite a bit of time cleaning up the swarf and swapping the blade back afterwards.