Rack mount strips

Alex Gibson

Jul 12, 2022, 10:02:09 AM7/12/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

I'm getting rid of a bulky server chassis - landlords giving it to their kid's school - but need something to mount the patch panels and a couple of servers.

Before I let this go, does anyone local have spare rack mount strips?  IE the rail with square holes - so I can mount the kit in a smaller cabinet?

Otherwise I will remove one of the rear strips and cut in half to make a pair of shorter ones.  But it would be better not to compromise an intact chassis!

Cheers
Akex

Lee Hiscott

Jul 12, 2022, 6:59:07 PM7/12/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Lee Hiscott

Jul 12, 2022, 7:02:34 PM7/12/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I do have a wall mount rack, which is going spare, for a small consideration. Probably around 12U but I could measure if you like.
;-)

Alex Gibson

Jul 12, 2022, 8:28:29 PM7/12/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lee, both good options!
Yes please to dimensions of your rack, apologies in advance if I'm fussy, goal is for minimalism - the media rack is a good option.
Plan B is to 3d print rack mount ears to fit 2020 extrusions, but I'm sure a more elegant solution will exist, bare rack strips is the ideal.
Cheers
Alex

David Price

Jul 12, 2022, 11:31:02 PM7/12/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Had you considered a LackRack?

david

Lee Hiscott

Jul 13, 2022, 3:53:57 AM7/13/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I will get the dimensions later today

Alex Gibson

Jul 13, 2022, 6:19:36 AM7/13/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Hi David

Yes, definitely – however the kit I need to fit includes a couple of full length 1U servers, so I’d be into at least 2 Lack units like below…

The server cabinet is making way for a laser cutter, which needs its own stand, support gubbins – so I may as well spend the same money on extrusions and integrate all-metal!

https://wiki.eth0.nl/images/9/99/5x_lackrack.jpg

Alex Gibson

edumaker limited

+44 7813 810 765    @alexgibson3d

Unit 3B Bacchus House, Calleva Park, Aldermaston, READING RG7 8EN

image001.jpg

Lee Hiscott

Jul 13, 2022, 2:11:26 PM7/13/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Not sure the wall cabinet will house all of that lot.

36h x 41d x 54w  (cm)

I also have a couple of floor standing racks...if you'd rather...one about chest high, the other full 42U high.
Looking at pictures, its at least 24U possible 27U high.
It was a server cabinet once, and will need some assistance to get it out of the loft it's currently residing in, and currently it's an open frame, the doors and side panels are around here somewhere...but they got removed to get it up the ladder!

Let me know if you're interested. Not a problem if you're already sorted.
;-)

Alex Gibson

Jul 13, 2022, 2:15:36 PM7/13/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Sorry Lee, that was a stock photo from the Lack Hack website…

I have 2x 1U switches, 2x 1U servers as a minimum, plus a Vodafone router, raspberry Pis etc – 8U would do the trick but anything that would fit under a desk good!

Wall cabinet might be fine if the servers can stick out of the back of it?

Cheers,