Do I need to restart a repository after changing its configuration?

Manuel Fiorelli

Jun 4, 2021, 3:17:04 PM6/4/21
to rdf4j...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I've been experimenting with changing the value of ShaclSailSchema.VALIDATION_ENABLED in the configuration of a repository at runtime. However, I've the impression that the change enters into effect only after restarting the repository. In my experiments, I restarted my application. If I am right, is there a more lightweight approach? Perhaps, calling LocalRepositoryManager.shutdown and then LocalRepositoryManager.init
What about remote repositories? Ontotext GraphDB has a dedicated protocol URI to restart a repository. If I am right and repositories need to be explicitly restarted, I think that there is nothing to do about this in the stock RDF4J server.

Best regards,
Manuel Fiorelli

hmott...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2021, 12:37:20 PM6/5/21
to RDF4J Users

Maybe your usecase is better served by using the new transaction settings. That way you can disable validation on a single transaction, or force the transaction to use bulk validation (load all the data then revalidate the entire database).

Cheers,
Håvard

Manuel Fiorelli

Jun 7, 2021, 6:10:58 PM6/7/21
to rdf4j...@googlegroups.com
Hi Håvard

thank you for the prompt reply.

My use case is to "simulate" the possibility to do a bulk validation of a repository. To this end, I setup the SHACL sail with validation disabled, and then I use the proper TransactionSetting to request the bulk validation and generate a validation report. Interestingly enough, requesting bulk validation works also for a repository for which validation has been disabled. As I am not interested in frequently switching validation on/off from transaction to transaction, I preferred to disable validation altogether when I don't need it.

Best regards
Manuel

Manuel Fiorelli

Håvard Ottestad

Jun 8, 2021, 2:31:48 AM6/8/21
to rdf4j...@googlegroups.com
Hi Manuel,

I’m not sure if I understand what you mean by simulating the possibility to do bulk validation.

One thing to keep in mind is that the transactional validation assumes that the repository is in a valid state. So if you turn on validation again make sure to run a transaction with the bulk validation transaction setting.

What is the reason you don’t want to keep validation enabled all the time?

Håvard

On 8 Jun 2021, at 00:10, Manuel Fiorelli <manuel....@gmail.com> wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "RDF4J Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rdf4j-users/CAGDmdGgCcqPCcT4xQk%2BHGAeXCxfKM8Gq_H1JjGGYmrEb5ci30g%40mail.gmail.com.