HHH ride report

Julian Westerhout

Jul 22, 2020, 9:52:52 PM7/22/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
COVID canceled our plan to tour in the UK on our Bilenky tandem this summer, so in partial compensation today we went for a day ride on the Illinois and Michigan Canal from Lasalle to Marseilles, Il and back on our Rivendell HHH -- about 45 miles. Nice ride, even if the path is very poorly maintained in places -- between Utica and Ottawa the path got rougher and rougher, then there was a missing bridge which required us to take the tandem down a muddy bank and wheel it across an 18" wide bridge some kind sole threw together from some old lumber. We then had to navigate a long section of limestone mud with running water -- fun! We ate lunch at Tangled Roots brew pub in Ottawa, IL (Yum!) and avoided the worst stretches of the path on the return by taking the road for 5 miles. A good day out... even if it isn't quite Cornwall, the British Peak District or Scotland!

Photos here https://flic.kr/s/aHsmPzWJoy   sine Google Groups tells me i can't upload them into the message for some reason.

Julian Westerhout
Bloomington, IL

Eric Norris

Jul 22, 2020, 9:54:41 PM7/22/20
to RBW
Looks gorgeous! Someone from England would probably love to go here on vacation.

What kind of snake is that!?

--Eric Norris
campyo...@me.com
Insta: @CampyOnlyGuy
YouTube: YouTube.com/CampyOnlyGuy

Julian Westerhout

Jul 23, 2020, 7:00:42 AM7/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
That's a Northern Water Snake. Harmless, but looks a bit like a Cottonmouth, which is not.

It is a pretty corridor along the Illinois River in the middle of agricultural lands. It passes through a number of small towns from the 1900s, which have nice old downtowns that are still semi-vibrant.

Julian Westerhout
Bloomington, IL

On Jul 22, 2020, at 6:52 PM, Julian Westerhout <weste...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Mark Roland

Jul 23, 2020, 8:31:11 AM7/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks like a lovely day on the bike, not a bad consolation.

You may have posted this already, but as an experienced tandemist, how are you liking the HHH? I assume the Bilenky is a more traditional road setup with drops? I will be taking possession of a medium HHH shortly. I have a nice 26" Santana that I "converted" to be as HHH-like as possible, with 2.1" tires and Boscos. I'm hoping the HHH takes the easy cruise handling to another, Clem-like level--it's an expensive (and time-consuming) upgrade, and who knows how much longer my son will want to ride attached to dad?!

I should probably start another thread, but can you tell me what hubs, wheels, & tires you are running? Did you build it up yourself? Any tricks I should be aware of? (I have the Riv tandem Silver chainset, some Boscos, not much else) If other HHH owners want to chime in....

Julian Westerhout

Jul 23, 2020, 9:28:16 AM7/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Mark,

We like the HHH a lot. It is indeed a different beast than our Bilenky, which is a 650b S&S coupled drop-bar tourer. The HHH is more upright, and better for rides like this one. we also use it in town (going on a bike club ice cream ride on it tonight). On the road it still performs reasonably well, if not quite as fast as our Bilenky (much of which I put down to the riding position), but it has major fun factor. It rides well -- I also have a Clem H -- it is roughly analogous.

It has a Shutter dynamo front hub, a Velocity tandem rear hub, Alex DM24 rims. Tires are Maxxis Re-Fuse 650 x 2.0 (their mixed labeling) -- they're great for a mix of road and generally hard pack/gravel type riding. The wheels were supplied by Riv. We were in the first batch -- bought most of the parts from Riv, built it up myself. Not too tricky if you're a confifdent mechanic.

Julian Westerhout
Bloomington, IL

Robert Tilley

Jul 23, 2020, 9:56:36 PM7/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm not really an experienced tandem rider but did have a Bike Friday tandem in the past. I just picked up a HHH and built it up myself. I had no issues building it up at all. It went better than any other bike really. I went with Riv's recommended chain lengths and it works fine. I may shorten the drive chain since I'm getting a lot of chain slap. Once built I didn't have to adjust anything. Even the B17 saddle tilt and height was spot on.

The only issue I had was that the rear spacing actually measures 140 instead of 145 as it should be. This makes it a bit of a pain to get the rear wheel in since I did put on a disc drag brake. Riv failed to provide crank bolts with their Silver cranks so check that before you start your build or you could be delayed. I scavenged some from other bikes the garage.

I love the way the bike rides. It's comfortable but still feels very quick. I went with a fairly standard build with the exception of the Jones Loop bars for the Captain. Some pictures of mine are at the link below.

Robert Tilley
San Diego, CA

Sent from my BlackBerry - the most secure mobile device
Sent: July 23, 2020 5:31 AM
Subject: [RBW] Re: HHH ride report

Michael Hechmer

Jul 26, 2020, 9:45:10 PM7/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for the post.  Since you are in the general vicinity, I heartily  recommend the Petit Tran de Nord out of Montreal.  Of course you will have to wait for the border to reopen.  Pat and I did  a four day ride on our bilenkey tandem a few years ago and enjoyed every day.
Michael

Deborah Coffin

Jul 27, 2020, 2:31:27 PM7/27/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for mentioning that! I’m up in Montreal frequently during the summers I spend in the Adirondacks, and I didn’t know about it. Looks fun.