Rivendell Nitto Basket Rack

Bill Lindsay

Aug 14, 2019, 7:27:14 PM8/14/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I noticed on www.rivbike.com that they had the new Rivendell Nitto Basket Rack in stock. It looks like a dynamite design.  I was not prepared to make a $250 impulse purchase, but I did the old trick of trying to put 100 in my basket.  The site told me there was ONE in stock.  I went back today to maybe buy it, but it's OUT OF STOCK today.

That looks like a must-have rack for habitual Wald Basketeers.  I'll be on the lookout.

Bill not-if-but-when Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Aug 15, 2019, 12:40:45 AM8/15/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
It’s good to hear your take on the long-awaited Nitto Basket Rack! I’ve been really curious what folks are saying about this rack. I had one set aside for me and was all set to purchase it, but when I saw the photos I realized how similar it looked to my Surly 24 Pack Rack and decided to leave the Basket Rack out of my already-expensive Rivendell order. The Surly is rated to 30 pounds; not sure about the BR. I love Rivendell things and am nearly always brand-loyal to them, so this was a departure for me. I’ve been wondering what everyone else thinks and how Rivendell’s BR might be superior to other porteur-type racks.

Leah

Drw

Aug 15, 2019, 1:03:25 AM8/15/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
250$ was a bit of a letdown for me. There are a lot of racks that have come about to fill this niche in the last couple years, and it’s hard for me to fully grasp how this one is so much better to justify an additional 100$.

A 3 bar pass and stow costs only 30$ more and is essentially a USA made custom rack with pannier capability.

jeffrey kane

Aug 15, 2019, 10:06:44 AM8/15/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Is that $250.00 the firm moving forward price, I wonder?

From my perspective the addition of a traditional tombstone would make this rack way more versatile -- but that's my running complaint about a lot of platform racks on the market today. I get the need for a back stop when attaching a basket ...  but why negate the usefulness of a tombstone as well for anyone looking to run a traditionally configured handlebar bag as an option?

Wally Estrella

Aug 15, 2019, 10:25:28 AM8/15/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah,

I thought the same.  It's just a much nicer looking 24 pack rack and the price to reflect that difference.  I'll stick w/ my Surly 8 Pack rack and the TV Tray for those wide loads.

CHEERS!
Wally

Todd Porter

Aug 15, 2019, 11:28:40 AM8/15/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Anyone have any experience with this rack and/or basket?
https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/blb-rack-basket-combo

Bill Lindsay

Aug 15, 2019, 12:59:12 PM8/15/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think you answered your own question.  The Basket Rack is purpose built for a Wald 139 basket.  If that's your use case, it seems  to me that's a really nice rack to consider buying.  If your use case requires a versatile swiss-army knife rack, then there may be better choices.  Having more choices is always good, in my opinion.  I understand being sad that nice stuff is expensive, and that products manufactured via high-cost, high-quality supply chains tend to be expensive, but for a good front rack that could last you the rest of your life over many bikes, $250 is not really that much money.  $80 tires are guaranteed to be used up in short order.  Your 10-year old front rack will be functionally good as new.  Racks are worth investing in.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

CMR

Aug 15, 2019, 4:53:48 PM8/15/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm fine with the $250 price tag, especially considering the other Nitto racks sell for $175-$220 on the site. Beautiful and thoughtful bends, light mounts, adjustability, matching finish, fillet brazed, Nitto quality. This a Rivendell design, you pay for that too.

Drw

Aug 15, 2019, 5:07:21 PM8/15/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I feel like we saw a prototype of these legs on a marks rack top. I’d be interested to hear if the top platform is interchangeable.

If, so it’d be cool if they sold them separately, so people could retrofit their older racks.

Leah Peterson

Aug 15, 2019, 5:19:01 PM8/15/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Well, regardless, I do really want to hear from folks who bought and are using the new basket racks. And I would love to see photos of their bikes with the rack. Maybe they’ll change my mind and I’ll buy the basket rack. I just would like to know that rack is a big improvement to what I’ve got.

Enjoy, everyone!

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 15, 2019, at 2:07 PM, Drw <drewbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I feel like we saw a prototype of these legs on a marks rack top. I’d be interested to hear if the top platform is interchangeable.
>
> If, so it’d be cool if they sold them separately, so people could retrofit their older racks.

Joe Bernard

Aug 15, 2019, 6:48:44 PM8/15/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ok, call me crazy (YOU'RE CRAZY, JOE!), but after all the months of prototyping and now it's an actual product on a website, shouldn't Nitto have a recommended weight limit by now?

Bill Lindsay

Aug 15, 2019, 8:08:43 PM8/15/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
You get to expect whatever you want to expect, Joe.  What Nitto-recommended load rating do you want out of this rack?

Joe Bernard

Aug 15, 2019, 9:40:36 PM8/15/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I don't have a want for the rack, I'm not much for front loads and not likely to buy it. I just think it's weird Nitto is selling a rack and never bothered to tell anyone what its load limits are.

Bill Lindsay

Aug 15, 2019, 10:02:36 PM8/15/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe thinks it’s weird that Rivendell sold at least one rack prior to Nitto giving them a load limit recommendation.

I feel pretty good about Roman’s 20
Pound swag at it.

BL in EC

Joe Bernard

Aug 15, 2019, 11:40:54 PM8/15/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
No, I think it's weird that Nitto didn't provide Rivendell with the spec. Which I clearly stated.

John Phillips

Aug 16, 2019, 10:44:53 AM8/16/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
    For riding with heavier front loads, the Nitto 34F Big Front Rack still seems like a better basket-rack solution to me: stronger, more stable, able to carry panniers & about the same price I think.

   Ooops, Riv no longer carries the Big Front Rack, but that's where I purchased mine. Does the Big 34F no longer fit on the more recent Riv bike models?

   Otherwise, I love using my Nitto 32F Mini Front Rack for carrying smaller basket and Riv ShopSack loads.

John

CMR

Aug 16, 2019, 2:13:53 PM8/16/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
The basket rack has a wider platform and much better supports the basket, and honestly almost all loads that people throw up front. The 32F is awesome for loaded touring but I think it's overkill for most riding, and looks a bit bulky. I think Riv nailed the design for the basketrack.

Wesley Applequist

Aug 19, 2019, 4:33:37 PM8/19/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
There’s always the RBW51. I’ve been thinking about one for a bit.