This is second time this happened and I am seriously annoyed. And I would like help to see this doesn't happen again.

567 de afișări
Accesați primul mesaj necitit

Ann L

necitită,
13 iul. 2020, 21:07:2813.07.2020
– RBW Owners Bunch
So I am minding my own business, out for my evening ride on my Appaloosa, when the saddle came off.  I didn't crash but it was not fun.  The bolt was completely sheared off.  But the weird thing is, the same thing happened to me a year ago.  Any idea as to why this keeps happening?  The saddle is a Brooks 67.

Patrick Moore

necitită,
13 iul. 2020, 21:17:0913.07.2020
– rbw-owners-bunch
Ann: This is very weird indeed.

Do you mean the seatpost binder bolt (1) or the bolt that clamps the saddle rails (2)?

Second, who installed and tightened the bolt?

(1)
image.png

(2)
image.png

I've never seen #2 broken, but I've personally broken more than my share of #1 simply by torquing the bolt down too hard (Hah! I did this on Saturday, with the admittedly twee, "lightweight" seat tube collar clamp on the new Matthews.) My own personal motive for doing this is simply insecurity, but someone might overtighten this bolt (again, holding the seatpost in frame) if the post is slightly too small for the seat tube diameter.

Perhaps you can post a photo of the broken bolt and of the spot where it came from?

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 7:07 PM 'Ann L' via RBW Owners Bunch <rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
So I am minding my own business, out for my evening ride on my Appaloosa, when the saddle came off.  I didn't crash but it was not fun.  The bolt was completely sheared off.  But the weird thing is, the same thing happened to me a year ago.  Any idea as to why this keeps happening?  The saddle is a Brooks 67.

Patrick Moore

Nick Payne

necitită,
14 iul. 2020, 07:52:2814.07.2020
– RBW Owners Bunch
On Tuesday, 14 July 2020 11:07:28 UTC+10, Ann L wrote:
So I am minding my own business, out for my evening ride on my Appaloosa, when the saddle came off.  I didn't crash but it was not fun.  The bolt was completely sheared off.  But the weird thing is, the same thing happened to me a year ago.  Any idea as to why this keeps happening?  The saddle is a Brooks 67.

Sounds like you should get a two bolt rather than a one bolt seatpost. The saddle is held firmly in position without either bolt having to be done up as tightly as with a single bolt saddle clamp.

Nick

Mesajul a fost șters

Ann L

necitită,
14 iul. 2020, 09:10:3514.07.2020
– RBW Owners Bunch
It's (2).  I installed and tightened the bolt.

On Monday, July 13, 2020 at 8:17:09 PM UTC-5, Patrick Moore wrote:
[...]

IMG_0402.JPG

Ann L

necitită,
14 iul. 2020, 09:12:1114.07.2020
– RBW Owners Bunch

I have tried several times to attach a picture but it's not coming through.

Mark Roland

necitită,
14 iul. 2020, 09:35:3514.07.2020
– RBW Owners Bunch
Ann--did both times involve the same seat post brand and model? If so, what was it? I assume the bolt and nut are original equipment. The fact that the bolt tightens with a regular nut would indicate a cheaper model--or an old seat post, which is not the case here. Its there something between the nut and the top clamp other than a washer that "locks" it down?

If you still want to use this post, I would recommend getting the strongest grade replacement bolt  you can find--hard to know from a photo, but that bolt looks cheap.

I have never heard of or seen this bolt break in 40 plus years of heavy cycling involvement. If it were me, I would stay away from seat posts that use a nut like that, and instead choose a model where the threads engaging the bolt are integral to the top part of the clamp, or at least interface with it more securely--some have a kind of oblong threaded piece that securely nestles into the top of the clamp. If nothing else, this will reflect a higher quality post overall.

On Tuesday, July 14, 2020 at 9:10:35 AM UTC-4, Ann L wrote:
It's (2).  I installed and tightened the bolt.

Rob Kristoff

necitită,
14 iul. 2020, 10:16:5114.07.2020
– RBW Owners Bunch
Am I seeing a second saddle rail? If so, wouldnt that require a special clamping mechanism? (See Brooks B66 on their page).

I have no experience with sprung saddles like this, but it looks like it would put a lot of pressure on that one bolt.

Rob

James / Analog Cycles

necitită,
14 iul. 2020, 10:47:4414.07.2020
– RBW Owners Bunch
Looks to me like an aftermarket hardware store bolt, which would have dubious strength.  Also 1 bolt posts are known for failure.  The fix is expensive but simple.  A Nitto Jaguar or S83 seatpost, with original bolts.  I've sold hundreds, never seen a failure.
Also make sure the saddle is centered on the clamp.  Pushing it back adds leverage, and can lead to failure.

-James / Analog Cycles

Arthur Mayfield

necitită,
14 iul. 2020, 10:56:5214.07.2020
– RBW Owners Bunch
From your photo, it looks like you have a B-67 saddle (sprung, one clamping rail, one support rail). If I’m wrong and you have one of the double clamping rail saddles like the B-66, you’re using the wrong kind of seat post. If it’s in fact a B-67, the seat post is correct, but the bolt is wrong. It should be a hex/Allen head metric bolt with a washer, not something with a nut. I suspect that the original bolt was lost and an SAE/US bolt was forced/cross-threaded into the top of the clamp, with a nut added to tighten it. I would only do that in an emergency where the only bolt available was SAE and I was a long way from home, realizing that I’d ruined my seat post and would need to replace it as soon as possible. Either way, you should have a bicycle mechanic look at your bike and install a new post that matches your seat design.

Patrick Moore

necitită,
14 iul. 2020, 10:57:5014.07.2020
– rbw-owners-bunch
+1 for getting a well-reviewed new seatpost, like this one Rivendell sells; well, they're out of stock, but the shorter version is available on Amazon and eBay. (I think that the Ritchey post is the same thing as the Nitto S65.)

Despite my natural talent for overtightening things (just snapped an admittedly lightweight seatpost collar the other day) I've never broken one of these. And grease the bolt before installation!

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 7:12 AM 'Ann L' via RBW Owners Bunch <rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

I have tried several times to attach a picture but it's not coming through.

Ann L

necitită,
14 iul. 2020, 13:24:0214.07.2020
– RBW Owners Bunch
I actually have the nitto 65 post on the bike.  I took it by my local bike store this morning and they replaced the bolt.

I'm thinking the first break was a freak accident and the second was caused by me fixing it with a substandard bolt.  Thanks for the responses everyone.  Hopefully, this one will hold.

Joe Bernard

necitită,
14 iul. 2020, 14:27:1014.07.2020
– RBW Owners Bunch
The correct bolt should thread into the top half of the saddle-rail sandwich. What is the reason for the nut you're using?

Ann L

necitită,
14 iul. 2020, 15:40:1214.07.2020
– RBW Owners Bunch
Joe:

Because I rode my bike to work when the original bolt broke.  It broke just as i was pulling in so I had to jury rig a replacement to get home.  The fix seemed to work and so I never got around to replacing it.  The two breaks were about a year apart.  Since the bolt sheared off twice in the same manner I originally thought it might have something to due with my saddle placement or other factors.

Joe Bernard

necitită,
14 iul. 2020, 16:09:2514.07.2020
– RBW Owners Bunch
Oh I see. I have a feeling it's just a matter of that big heavy sprung saddle over-torqueing that one poor bolt, especially if it's slammed all the way back like most of us run Brooks saddles. A two-bolter as others have mentioned might be in the cards. BUT..I have a single-bolt post you can have for free no shipping no charge gratis if you want to try it. It's an unbranded Nitto clone from Riv (probably Kalloy), 27.2, 250mm long. If you can't use the post part I'm fairly certain the head and bolt will fit your post..I'm not feeling super confidant that the bits you have are still reliable after two failures.

Hit me up at joeremi62 gmail com if you want it. Free!

Joe Bernard

20200714_125904.jpg

Ann L

necitită,
14 iul. 2020, 19:44:2414.07.2020
– RBW Owners Bunch
Joe:

This is such a nice offer, but my local bike shop was able to find a bolt to fit the post.  As much as I would like a free seat post, the long term solution appears to be a two-bolt seat post.  You are correct that I like my saddle slammed all the way back.  But again, thank you.

Dave Small

necitită,
15 iul. 2020, 09:53:2615.07.2020
– RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Ann,

If you need to replace the seat post, I'd recommend checking out Velo-Orange's long set-back post, seen here.  It's a 2-bolt design so you don't need to crank it down, it has a set-back that's suitable for Brooks saddles, and it's reasonably priced.

Dave
Boston/Indy

Ann L

necitită,
15 iul. 2020, 14:26:0215.07.2020
– RBW Owners Bunch
Dave:

Thank you.  But I don't think it will work.  I currently have a 26.8 x 250 Nitto 65s seatpost and that one only comes in 27.2.

J L

necitită,
15 iul. 2020, 14:48:3315.07.2020
– rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ann,

I think the bolt fix you did a year ago is keen!  Thank you for posting about this. If I have to do a seat post bolt repair in the wild I will know to look for a high grade bolt. Sorry yours only worked for a year, glad to hear you were not hurt.

A B67 has all kinds of leverage from three sides and built in kinetic spring energy. Add in some poor luck and I can see how this might end up with a bolt sheering off.

Jason

On Jul 15, 2020, at 11:26 AM, 'Ann L' via RBW Owners Bunch <rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Dave:

Thank you.  But I don't think it will work.  I currently have a 26.8 x 250 Nitto 65s seatpost and that one only comes in 27.2.

George Schick

necitită,
15 iul. 2020, 14:49:5015.07.2020
– RBW Owners Bunch
Ann is facing an interesting dilemma, as am I.  One of my bikes is a nearly 50 year old Fuji road bike from the early 70's.  It was in pretty bad shape when I got it and I fixed it up with various more modern components, etc. into a Resurrectio.  But the one constraint is that 26.8 seat post.  I'd like something more modern, something with the two-bolt saddle clamp, as described above.  But it's slim pickin's out there in the component market and I'm pretty much stuck with a cheap old single-bolt, hard to adjust accurately seat post, like it or not.

lconley

necitită,
15 iul. 2020, 14:54:3315.07.2020
– RBW Owners Bunch
Nitto S-83 is a two bolt available in 26.8, I have several.

Laing

Brian Campbell

necitită,
15 iul. 2020, 15:03:5815.07.2020
– RBW Owners Bunch
Quick ebay search shows 4 used, silver, 26.8, 2 bolt posts available ATM. Not really scarce.

On Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 2:49:50 PM UTC-4 George Schick wrote:

George Schick

necitită,
15 iul. 2020, 15:31:5415.07.2020
– RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for the info, gents, but I seem recall doing a search for this sometime in the past and finding very little.  So, to make sure I wasn't just talking through my hat, I got out the calipers and re-measured the one that's on there now.  Turns out that I was (talking through my hat, that is).  It measures 26.5mm.  It's not the original post, but one that fits - it came off an old Schwinn.  That means a 26.6 would probably work, but those are the cheap ones, mainly single bolt that are out there in the market.  I'd measure the original post, but I lost track of it. I recall that it had some strange Greek lettering on it.  But I suspect that .1mm either way would've fit.

Steve Palincsar

necitită,
15 iul. 2020, 15:47:2315.07.2020
– rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

On 7/15/20 2:49 PM, George Schick wrote:
Ann is facing an interesting dilemma, as am I.  One of my bikes is a nearly 50 year old Fuji road bike from the early 70's.  It was in pretty bad shape when I got it and I fixed it up with various more modern components, etc. into a Resurrectio.  But the one constraint is that 26.8 seat post.  I'd like something more modern, something with the two-bolt saddle clamp, as described above.  But it's slim pickin's out there in the component market and I'm pretty much stuck with a cheap old single-bolt, hard to adjust accurately seat post, like it or not.

Actually, you can use one of the nicest microadjusting 2 bolt seat posts ever made, the JPR.  Here's one in 26.8 on ebay right now   https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-JPR-FRANCE-SEATPOST-26-8MM-FLUTED-ALLOY-SEAT-POST-FRENCH-RACE-BIKE-NOS-/303498758881

and who knows, there may be others out there that cost less.  I didn't do a comprehensive search, just listed the 1st hit found.

On Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 1:26:02 PM UTC-5, Ann L wrote:
Dave:

Thank you.  But I don't think it will work.  I currently have a 26.8 x 250 Nitto 65s seatpost and that one only comes in 27.2.

Steve Palincsar
Alexandria, Virginia
USA

Ann L

necitită,
15 iul. 2020, 15:54:2115.07.2020
– RBW Owners Bunch

Thanks for the help, folks.  I just bought a Nitto s83 off of ebay for $82, including shipping.  Hopefully, this will end my bolt shearing experiences.  Although I didn't crash the last time it happened, I did have to walk my bike back for almost 5 miles so I will happily pay not to do that again.

Joe Bernard

necitită,
15 iul. 2020, 16:00:0615.07.2020
– RBW Owners Bunch
Score! Good call, Ann, it's a great strong post with the added benefit of lotsa setback. You may not have to slam your saddle all the way back.

Corwin

necitită,
15 iul. 2020, 22:20:3315.07.2020
– RBW Owners Bunch
Hey George -

A couple years ago, I bought a tandem outfitted with two 26.8 seat posts. Did not like either since they were not two-bolt.

Found a couple Campagnolo 26.8 two-bolt seat posts on EBay. Not sure about the prices I paid - but they were much less than current Nitto two-bolt seat posts.

Namaste,

Corwin

Drw

necitită,
15 iul. 2020, 22:56:1715.07.2020
– RBW Owners Bunch
Looks like kalloy has a 26.8 with 2 bolts now. Zero setback though. Anyone tried it?

Dave Johnston

necitită,
16 iul. 2020, 15:28:0416.07.2020
– RBW Owners Bunch
25.4 posts are reasonable common especially in suspension posts like the cane creek, then you get a shim for whatever you need.

-Dave
Răspundeți tuturor
Răspundeți autorului
Redirecționați