When to Abandon a Bike Project and Move On

Collin A

Dec 23, 2020, 11:50:40 AM12/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Short story, I have a frame and fork I want to build up, but with the COVID supply issues, and the rising costs of the project to reach completion, I am starting to consider ending the project and selling the parts I have been saving it for to try and recoup some of the costs.

For those that have also thrown in the towel and moved on (to, most likely, another bike project), what was the final straw? Any words of wisdom to keep chugging along?

Happy Festivus,
Collin, airing his grievances, in Sacramento

lucky...@gmail.com

Dec 23, 2020, 11:57:18 AM12/23/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Well, you’ll have to tell us more about the project.
Also, thanks for the Cycle Cats rec!

On Dec 23, 2020, at 08:50, Collin A <collinm...@gmail.com> wrote:

Short story, I have a frame and fork I want to build up, but with the COVID supply issues, and the rising costs of the project to reach completion, I am starting to consider ending the project and selling the parts I have been saving it for to try and recoup some of the costs.

For those that have also thrown in the towel and moved on (to, most likely, another bike project), what was the final straw? Any words of wisdom to keep chugging along?

Happy Festivus,
Collin, airing his grievances, in Sacramento

Jason Fuller

Dec 23, 2020, 12:46:31 PM12/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Agree that knowing the project base would go a long way in understanding how good the potential end result would be!  I am generally pretty impatient when I get a new project going but bear in mind there are still new-in-box Rivs from the mid-2000's popping up every now and again - there is no deadline for this build beyond your own expectations.  If it's an exciting build or something that would be very useful to you once complete, I'd just hang it up and wait until you've got the budget, supply, and bandwidth to finish it. Might be three months, might be three years - and that's OK.  If you're not feeling that attachment, or need the liquid cash, then maybe different story.

Collin A

Dec 23, 2020, 1:43:43 PM12/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ok, so short story long:

Bought a cool looking steel frame from a local shop that was built as part of a small-batch of prototypes for a project that never got off the ground. This was bought when I made the move from the hilly Bay Area to the flatlands of Sacramento, so I initially started building it as a single speed levee gravel bike, but clearance and braking (with long reach calipers) was a bit meh, especially when it got muddy (sticky clays out here vs. decomposed granular rock in the bay). So rather than be satisfied, I began the modifications planned, which included:
  • (achieved) A different fork with more clearance, fender mounts (cause why not?) and canti posts
  • (achieved) Crimped stays for more clearance
  • (TBD) Adding canti posts to frame, along with more crimping in the rear for even more clearance
  • (TBD) building single speed dedicated wheel, and the original wheels are now sold
  • (TBD) brakes, started with R559s, but then switched to mini-motos which I have since traded for some paul cantis to be used on the Appaloosa
  • (TBD) Cockpit, have stem, bars and seatpost, but no brake levers (see above, currently do not have brakes option finalized)
  • (Sorta figured out) Drivetrain, got the cranks/rings, pedals, but no freewheel yet.
The use has since been changed now to also fit more of a commuter that I am more comfortable with locking up, along with a dedicated rack/basket combo and generally be a bike that I don't have to worry about as much when it comes to maintenance, storing inside, etc. but it is trending to be a more expensive bike than I'd like.

The sticking issue in my mind was/is that ultimately, its not that unique of a bike in terms of features (fenders, cantis, 650x42 clearance, etc.) and I'm spending a decent amount of time and effort achieving that aspect. The visuals are unique and it rides nicely, but i'd rather have a unique feature bike than a unique looking one if I'm spending all this effort on it.

Cheers,
Collin in Sactown

Patrick Moore

Dec 23, 2020, 1:59:21 PM12/23/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
As someone who very easily gets frustrated when things don't happen fast, I've found that abandoning a project temporarily, say for 1 or 3 or 6 months, can bring me back with interest to the project. So the question is, is the project really valuable to you; IOW, would the result really be useful or fun or both, or would it be just another overlapping bike? For example, could you really use a lockable but fun to ride beater?

If the former, then I'd personally hang it up for a while and pick it up again, while keeping any eye out for the needed parts at low used prices.

FWIW, I also find that procrastinating on a major project, like a custom, and talking about it a great deal onlist helps a great deal to sort out what I really want; that's why the Matthews 3 speed/fixed gear (2 wheel options) road bike took 3 or 4 years from idea to delivery; and the wait was worth it.

Patrick Moore

greenteadrinkers

Dec 23, 2020, 2:03:38 PM12/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

Collin A

Dec 23, 2020, 2:15:07 PM12/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Scott, that's exactly why I am thinking about abandonment now...I've already spent so much time and effort and normally i'd think "what's a bit more" but I've been screwed by that approach in the past (which eventually prompted an involuntary career switch).

Patrick/Jason, I agree that taking a break would be beneficial. But like a FULL break for a couple months (no looking for parts, no brainstorming, nothing). This thing has been bouncing around in my head for the past 5 months now, so I think a mental break would help clear the decision making process as it relates to this bike.

Still no decision though,
Collin

Jay Lonner

Dec 23, 2020, 2:26:42 PM12/23/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Sounds to me like you’re trying to transform the bike into something it isn’t, and I doubt that a new fork, adding canti posts, crimping the stays, etc. will alter that fundamental fact. I’d ditch it and start over with something that meets your needs without requiring such extensive modification.

Jay Lonner
Bellingham, WA

Sent from my Atari 400

On Dec 23, 2020, at 11:15 AM, Collin A <collinm...@gmail.com> wrote:

Scott, that's exactly why I am thinking about abandonment now...I've already spent so much time and effort and normally i'd think "what's a bit more" but I've been screwed by that approach in the past (which eventually prompted an involuntary career switch).

Eric Norris

Dec 23, 2020, 2:31:07 PM12/23/20
to RBW
+1 on not trying to turn a sports car into a pickup truck.

--Eric Norris
campyo...@me.com
Insta: @CampyOnlyGuy
YouTube: YouTube.com/CampyOnlyGuy

Garth

Dec 23, 2020, 2:38:57 PM12/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well you know Collin that'd be like Me saying I'm quitting bike riding because it's winter and I don't feel like bike riding today.

Jason Fuller

Dec 23, 2020, 2:42:12 PM12/23/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the background; now it does sound like a square peg, round hole situation in terms of fitting your needs - and since you can find just about any combination of features you want these days in a steel frame, it does seem a bit like you're taking the scenic route.

Still, could be cool to have a fully unique bike, but only if you're really attached to that frame IMO, otherwise I'd sell it to someone whose needs it already fits

Brian Witt

Dec 23, 2020, 2:44:34 PM12/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow! timely question!  i am abandoning a project that stalled for a couple years.  I collected parts and then sourced a used frame that just wont accommodate the running gear properly.  and changes in my needs/ wants /  physical abilities  have now  made the bike (even if finished)  not very enjoyable... all of which begs the question: do I sell off the stuff or stack it all up for some other day... i have a horrible time selling off bike parts!!!

Joe Bernard

Dec 23, 2020, 3:14:30 PM12/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I agree with the abandoners, it sounds like a lot of work and cash still ahead of you for something you're just not that into. I'd cut bait and sell.

Joe Bernard

Message has been deleted

Michael Morrissey

Dec 23, 2020, 6:10:04 PM12/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey,

I also have a few stalled project bikes. I have an Appaloosa too. Whenever I feel like riding, I ride the Appaloosa. The other bikes don't really see the same amount of miles. There's your problem right there.

However, just make yourself a list of the parts you need to finish, your budget, and tools you need, and just put together the bike. We have eBay, so just buy stuff on ebay. Life is short.

asc pgh

Dec 23, 2020, 6:23:33 PM12/23/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I was going to say list your parts bin content here. You may be off your feed for what money remains to be spent to realize your project but what you have and might part with could be the crowning jewels for another's project.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

Eric Daume

Dec 23, 2020, 8:30:41 PM12/23/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
It doesn't seem like you're that far off, just a few hours of wrenching and you would have a rideable bike. Canti front, R559 rear, as a trial, and use an existing rear wheel (if you have it) with spacer for the single speed. Sometimes "good enough" is better than "just right."

Eric

Philip Williamson

Dec 24, 2020, 1:37:05 AM12/24/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is my thinking as well. Build up a rideable bike, and don’t worry about the “perfect.” When I saw you’d traded away a Minimoto, I thought, “Well there’s your problem right there.” If you went fixed, that’s all you’d even need. Cantis or Vs would be fine, brake levers and fixie wheels are dead cheap on Craigslist if your bike is 120 spaced, and 130 spaced road wheels are also pretty cheap and available.

Ride the bike a bit, and then strip it and sell the pieces.

Philip
Santa Rosa, CA

Mark Roland

Dec 24, 2020, 9:07:07 AM12/24/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
An interesting dilemma. I have been finishing up a long simmering project over the last few days, and after running into yet another sticking point, briefly contemplated throwing in the grease rag. But I persevered and got out for the first test ride yesterday.

IYou mention money, parts availability, uniqueness of final product, and mental space as factors/issues in deciding whether to continue your current build project.

For me, money-wise, building up bikes is a self-supporting hobby. I mostly (except for the 3 brand new Rivs I acquired this year!) buy cheap old bikes that appeal to me in some way, and I maintain a kind of informal bike slush fund that is constantly replenished through  selling bike related stuff. Even the Rivs were mainly funded this way, with an infusion from an old racing buddy who gave me a pile of old bikes and parts this past spring.

While lots of stuff is indeed hard to get right now, I do find ebay a good source for at least similar parts that will work in place of what might have been my first choice. And I agree with those that have said just get the bike rolling again with whatever, and see if it has the potential to earn a spot in your shed for a while.

Although I don't start out with "uniqueness" as a build goal, because projects generally start with a vintage frame with lots of beausage and get built up with an eclectic mix of old and new parts, they do end up unique in that sense--though not necessarily in function, which is another issue (and ultimately goes to the heart of the matter, but is ignored by those in the throes of bicycle building obsession.) It's definitely a form of expression--mostly to myself, and the occasional share on a google group or Instagram.

Ah, the mental space. For me, this takes up at least as much room as the actual bicycles and parts I live with. I'm determined to declutter both spaces in 2021.Having built up and ridden a lot of bicycles, I know it really is about Just Ride, so I won't have any FOMO. As much as I enjoy putting together a new build, the space virtually and physically is taking up too much room at this point in my life. My plan is to build up the remaining projects in the queue before my birthday in March (a Crust cargo fork bike, a BG Hikari, a 26" RTP go fast, and my 4th! Le Tour mixte build) and then  start to figure out what goes. From there it will be tinkering with what I keep (and building bikes for my son, who is getting taller by the day.)

My latest, almost complete [black front wheel, bar tape, matching tires] a  Sky Yaeger designed SS Bianchi with Kogswell fork, one studded wheel. Slight cross post from IBOB):

IMG_20201223_162356850(1).jpg

Ryan M.

Dec 24, 2020, 9:32:33 AM12/24/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
IMHO, when you start talking about adding canti posts, it's time for a different frame.

Mark Roland

Dec 24, 2020, 1:15:57 PM12/24/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Having successfully done it at no cost (friend with a tig welder and experience welding prototype medical equipment, rattlecan touch up) to a bike that became a favorite (and I imagine sorta close to an original 26" Atlantis) I have to disagree. Even has a 700C to 26" Rivendell fork.

IMG_0005.JPGIMG_9916(1).JPG

Collin A

Dec 24, 2020, 4:16:43 PM12/24/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas. I think I will terminate the project, just trying to make too many things happen at once. I did have this bike built up before and it rode nicely, so there isn't too much of a need to do a "good enough" build for the time being.

Luckily most of the components I still have serve as great spares for bike in the current fleet, or at least the nice parts (XTR hubs, etc.), but I will be posting some of the other stuff for sale (nitto bars, BB, cranks, etc) after the holidays as well.

Now to just prevent myself from picking up another project bike here in the next few months...

Cheers and happy holidays,
Collin