Phil Rivy hub axle OLD 130->126->120 respacing

Max S

May 16, 2023, 11:28:12 AM5/16/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Question for those who might know...
I've got a Phil hubbed wheelset, the rear uses what I believe is a Rivy hub, freewheel version. I could be mis-remembering, but I believe the idea was to use flanges and spacing that basically make front and rear use the same length spokes. At any rate, the rear hub is spaced for 130 mm over-locknut dimension. I'm shoving it into a frame that uses a narrower spacing, say 126 (although 120 may be it).
Can I get a different axle or axle end caps to accomplish this?
TIA,

- Max "obsolete by the time I get out of bed" in A2

Greg J

May 16, 2023, 11:43:14 AM5/16/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I did this on an older Phil FW hub.  You can buy a shorter axle end piece on the FW side, but there are differences over the years, so you should contact Phil directly and get the one that fits that model.  Then you'll have to re-dish the wheel.

Greg

lconley

May 16, 2023, 11:45:01 AM5/16/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
The touring hubs used all the same spoke lengths - on the rear hub, the freewheel side had a smaller flange than the non freewheel side to accomplish this. Not all Phil Wood freewheel hubs are touring hubs.,
Yes, you can get the spacers for whatever hub width that you want, BUT you may have to send the hub to Phil Wood to accomplish it. Some are user serviceable and some are not. I have done it both ways depending on the model of hub.
Small flange 48H on the left - used different spoke lengths. Touring 36H on the right - uses the same spoke lengths - note the larger flange on the non freewheel side..

Phil Wood rear s.png

Laing

lconley

May 16, 2023, 11:52:24 AM5/16/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Note also that you can change the freewheel side as well. Both of the hubs in the picture are 7 speed. You can get 5 thru 8 as I recall. I think 5 speed is what you use for a single speed setup.

Laing

Garth

May 16, 2023, 1:07:25 PM5/16/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Seeing that the Rivvy hub was of the last iteration of their freewheel hubs you ought to be able to do it yourself. Both of my touring rear hubs, from '99 and 2011 have the field serviceable axle(FSA), that's easy to dismantle.

Whether or not they have the parts, that's another story. They ought to, or be able to make them, they're a machine shop, right ? Or so I thought. When PW ditched the FW hubs they also deleted all the service information about them from their website, not very nice.

lconley

May 16, 2023, 1:44:02 PM5/16/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Call them up or email them. They had the parts to turn the the ancient 48H 107 OLD(?) SF hub in the picture into a 135 OLD and new bearings for it, but I had to send it in. I did the 130 to 135 OLD Touring hub myself.

Laing

lconley

May 16, 2023, 1:45:38 PM5/16/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
This was three months ago.

Laing

Junes

May 16, 2023, 4:44:38 PM5/16/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, talk to Dustin in the Phil Wood service department. He’s super helpful. I think the general rule is that if the hub is more than about 12 or 15 years old, you’d have to send it in for service because the older designs are not user serviceable. If it’s less, you might be able to service it yourself — if the parts are available.

They don’t machine all their parts in house anymore, if they ever did. They have recently been facing supply constraints for various hub components manufactured by third party suppliers.

Either way be prepared to part with $$$.

Good luck. Do keep us posted.

On May 16, 2023, at 13:45, lconley <lco...@brph.com> wrote:

This was three months ago.

J Imler