The “Is It Normal Or Is It Broken” New Bike Game!

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Dec 5, 2020, 11:09:37 PM12/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
All I want to do is just ride my raspberry Platypus. I have goals, a 3,000 mile one for 2020, in fact, and I am 17.1 miles from reaching it. But instead of basking in that, I have been riding around stressed out by all the new sounds/ticks/rubs/whirs that my new bike is making. Add to that the extra stress of not having the capability to fix things myself, which means a 40 minute drive across town to the bros at the shop, who now know me on a first name basis. Embarrassing.

Let me be clear - Rivendell built the perfect frame. It’s getting all these parts and wiring and fenders and gears to work, that’s the problem.

I tell you, I remember this with the Clem, too. I could tell it was a great bike, so much fun to ride, not that I was having much fun... I was riding around, swerving, with my head cocked analyzing foreign sounds and vibrations coming from this strange beast beneath me. Maybe the shop installed stuff wrong, I’d think (which was the case more than once). Maybe something has come loose and the bike is about to fall apart beneath me, I’d think. But the Clem got all ironed out and became perfect and now here I am at ground zero again with this pretty Platypus.

Today I went 22 miles, but not without complications. Both the Clem and the Platypus have something rubbing. I rode around on the Platypus in bad form leaning my ear to hear - “Is that one sound or two sounds?” “Is that rubbing or a strange vibrating?” “Is this what the Schmidt dyno hub sounds like? I don’t think my Shutter Precision makes this sound.” “Maybe it’s the fender.” “What if the tape is coming off the dyno wiring?” “I think that screw is too close!”  Lastly, the stem started clicking when I apply light pressure to it.

And this game has been going on since the Friday after Thanksgiving when I assumed custody of this rowdy Platypus.

All I want is to stop playing this game. Ride my bike in peace, which means listening to the familiar whirring and humming as I pedal. I want to feel how nice the ride is, instead of being distracted by sounds that could be indicative of doom. I don’t want rubs, clicks, or anything janky going on. I want familiar! It has me completely bummed out; a heaviness of heart, that’s what I’m having.

What I want to know if if the rest of you experience this agony. It’s not easy to admit, for fear of looking ungrateful. Fact is, I am wholeheartedly grateful for this bike, and it is one of the few good things to happen to me in 2020. But will this long-awaited bike ever get straightened out?

So, who else can relate and what stories do you have? It would feel nice if this was normal, instead of being unique to mechanically-challenged me.

In the next post I’ll include a video what the bike was doing to me today. Name that sound!
Leah

Leah Peterson

Dec 5, 2020, 11:12:07 PM12/5/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Here is me, holding my left hand back towards my rear tire, looking like a weirdo on the MUP with my bike making these sounds. How was your day?

Video.mov

Joe Bernard

Dec 5, 2020, 11:34:03 PM12/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've been there, embarrassingly so. Years ago I bought a Dahon folding bike all decked out with fenders, racks and a dynohub..the first dyno I'd ever even seen live in person. The dang thing made a heck of a racket and I finally decided this can't be normal and I was beside myself about what to do about it. Then I gave the front wheel one more spin with my hand. The tire was rubbing a fender stay. Pulled the stay away from the tire, problem solved. Joe Bernard, Master Bike Mechanic Knows All The Things 🤦

Matthew Williams

Dec 6, 2020, 12:03:13 AM12/6/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
In the video, I'm hearing several sounds--are you referring to the scraping "shhk . . . shk-shhhk . . . shhk . . ." sound, sort of like a credit card scraping against a tabletop?

Since the sound is intermittent but appears to be wheel-related, and sounds like rubber-hitting-light metal, I would start looking for:

1: A fender or a fender strut is loose or bent and bumping against the tire
2: Something inside the fender or attached to the fender (e.g. the taillight wire or fasteners) is bumping against the tire
3: A loose brake pad
4: The wheel is loose on its axle and is wobbling (the quick-release might be not tightened all the way down)

On Dec 5, 2020, at 8:11 PM, Leah Peterson <jonasa...@gmail.com> wrote:

Here is me, holding my left hand back towards my rear tire, looking like a weirdo on the MUP with my bike making these sounds. How was your day?

<Video.mov>

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 5, 2020, at 8:09 PM, Bicycle Belle Ding Ding! <jonasa...@gmail.com> wrote:

All I want to do is just ride my raspberry Platypus. I have goals, a 3,000 mile one for 2020, in fact, and I am 17.1 miles from reaching it. But instead of basking in that, I have been riding around stressed out by all the new sounds/ticks/rubs/whirs that my new bike is making. Add to that the extra stress of not having the capability to fix things myself, which means a 40 minute drive across town to the bros at the shop, who now know me on a first name basis. Embarrassing.

Patrick Moore

Dec 6, 2020, 12:03:41 AM12/6/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
Of course! Many times! And worse than rubbing: major things wrong with the new build: the front derailleur won't shift to the small ring (stupidly installed crank on far too long bb spindle; learned something!*), the rear derailleur rubs on spokes before shifting to the big cog (that one still puzzles me, but I got another rd to work), fenders turn out to be too narrow for tires (learned what "65" really means with SKS P65s), custom rear rack sways like a cobra under weight of 12-pack (well, that was just a bad design -- solution: pay for new rear rack), front low riders came without bottom attachments (ditto, but usable for light loads on smooth roads), can't get rear derailleur to perfectly index (7 speed XT; gave up indexing for over 20 years, not kidding), etc etc etc over 50+ years of tinkering on bikes.

I recall the hurt frustration with my very first from-scratch build, when no brake known to man would fit the bike; Indian rod braked roadster frame meant for 635 mm bead set diameter rims built up with 622 bsd 700C rim in rear and 24" wheel in front. I really didn't know that you needed to match wheel size to frame. Rode it on dangerous hilly roads with freehweel and no brake except jamming right Ked onto front tire, survived, special Providence that watches over fools and Americans.

Live and learn is the lesson.

*I fondly recall the look of contempt on the bike shop mechanic when I plaintively explained the problem.

On Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 9:09 PM Bicycle Belle Ding Ding! <jonasa...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Leah Peterson

Dec 6, 2020, 12:17:21 AM12/6/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
These are great responses and I actually laughed in my bed. I’m so glad I’m not alone.

Matthew - I knew I was hearing more than one sound! Glad you confirmed it. Wondering if I dare share your suggestions with the shop. I’m definitely sharing the video.

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 5, 2020, at 9:03 PM, Patrick Moore <bert...@gmail.com> wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/CALuTfgv%3DP8DXexkB4bmBtBfE%3D1jrCV9Ata%2Bjwnr4Ru-gbJNMNg%40mail.gmail.com.

Ben Mihovk

Dec 6, 2020, 6:55:04 AM12/6/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Oh boy, do I feel where you are coming from!

After saving paychecks from my part-time job since January, I got my Atlantis at the end of September. Creaking handlebar/stem when I put pressure on it had me almost in tears, and on the verge of calling Rivendell about it and not wanting to - they built me this wonderful bike and are super busy and I don’t want to seem like an ingrate, etc... But I searched the internet, experimented, tried tightening/loosening the bolt....turns out all it needed was a little lube on the bar/stem interface and it was gone (I figured that out from your thread about your Clem’s handlebar creak, Leah!).

There have been a few other sounds/issues that I’ve been able to remedy (brake rubbing rim, cable stretch causing some messy shifting, monkeying with saddle height). I have yet to bring it to a bike shop...but I dread it for several reasons. One - I hate feeling like I’m bugging someone to do something for me I should know how to do, and 2. I am self-conscious that the LBS is going to judge me for buying a very expensive bike online instead of supporting them with a big splash purchase.

Leah, I’m off topic a bit, so I’ll wrap it up. That feeling when you’ve waited so long for a bike that you hope to be THE perfect bike for you and then any little thing goes wrong? I know that feeling. BUT...you’ll get the kinks worked out and that Platypus will be humming in no time!

Ben

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 5, 2020, at 11:17 PM, Leah Peterson <jonasa...@gmail.com> wrote:

These are great responses and I actually laughed in my bed. I’m so glad I’m not alone.

Marty Gierke, Stewartstown PA

Dec 6, 2020, 7:17:44 AM12/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Maybe you have checked, but one thing I've experienced more than once is the sound those little "tire feelers" make inside a fender. You know, the little stringy things you get on new tires - leftover from the manufacturing process? They stick up and stick out and rub on things even though the tires have plenty of room. You can trim them off easily. Fenders also seem to amplify sounds. I suspect if you ran without fenders some of the sounds would disappear. I love a silent  bike s much as anyone, but every bike has a voice of it's own . When it makes little sounds, it's just singing along for the ride. In your case, it's the sweet song o' the Platypus.

Marty

Message has been deleted

Linda G

Dec 6, 2020, 8:41:38 AM12/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Maybe it's time for you to get a workstand for your bike. You've probably seen them in the bike shop. They hold the bike up in air while you work on it. Even if you are not doing much mechanical work it allows you to turn the pedal with one hand while you listen to where the sound is coming from. Then you can push on a fender, move a wire, etc. and see if the sound stops. A few simple tools would allow you to adjust a fender or a brake shoe.  If you can't figure it out at least you have more information to give a mechanic. I understand that you may not want to get into this but it's just a suggestion and could save a few trips to the bike shop. I can assure you that the gene for basic mechanical competence does not only reside on the y chromosome !
Linda

Garth

Dec 6, 2020, 8:59:49 AM12/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

I've heard that scraping noise before Leah, it was some turned out to be some mud had collected and dried underneath a fender. To find it, I got off the bike, used the second top tube as a hand lift, raised the front wheel off the ground and spun it slowly, then did the back by lifting on the seatstays. Then you can check the clearance of your fenders and brake pads, etc. It's easy to change the spin rate and all that. If you happen to have another person to hold the bike while you look and listen, that's great too.

In your case via the video the sound of the scrapes didn't have a constant note or rhythm. What I can't see in your video is you turning the crank and the entire motion of everything, to see if the scrapes match the rhythm of the cranks or not. It must be scraping on multiple places. Mud/debris in fenders can do that. It would really help if the bike was in a stand though, so you can simply spin the wheels and crank by hand back and forth and such.

I'll listen to the video layer when I can slow it down as I'm on a Chrombook at the moment.

Leah Peterson

Dec 6, 2020, 9:10:15 AM12/6/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ben, I relate to ALL of this, and it was all on-topic for sure.

1. The creaking stem - you know we solved that problem doing the thing we were never supposed to do. Everywhere online says do NOT lube the bar/stem interface, and yet that solved my issue completely, and yours, too. Maybe we should just have done the bolt threads, and maybe the lube dripped down to those and solved it for us? I don’t know, but like your Atlantis, it fixed my Clem. I’m having the SAME issue with my Platypus as of last night, and I can feel that stem clamp chewing up my new bar at the sleeve, just like my Clem. As soon as they come back in stock, guess who’s getting the open face plate stem from Riv? I don’t need the bars as high as on the Clem, so I think it’ll be ok.

2. Bike shops. I have the same wary feeling that I’m supposed to know this stuff myself. I do not, however, share your shame of buying a Rivendell and not a bike from the shop. Those shops can’t offer you a Rivendell; you HAD to buy it elsewhere. And aren’t you doing them a favor wheeling that Atlantis in to be fixed? If all you had to work on, day in and day out, was a pile of Chinese plastic bikes wouldn’t you love the Rivendell customer? What I do feel self-conscious about is that I usually bring my own parts because the shop won’t know anything about or carry what I want. But, sometimes I feel like I’m doing them a favor. The Clem got a new bottom bracket last week. The shop said, “You need a new bottom bracket, but we don’t know if we can get one in.

“No problem! I can get you a bottom bracket,” I said. And I did, from Rivendell. Now, did I do them a favor by supplying the needed part or was that a faux pas? They still got my money for labor, I suppose.

I’m buoyed by your belief that my perfect bike will be flawless on the road soon. I’m sure I’ll find something else to worry about by then, but it’s good to have hope!

Leah

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 6, 2020, at 3:55 AM, Ben Mihovk <bjmi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Oh boy, do I feel where you are coming from!

Leah Peterson

Dec 6, 2020, 9:15:23 AM12/6/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Marty, wise words, and I love “It’s the sweet song of the Platypus.” I’m going to commit that one to memory. ♥️

I suspect you’re right about fenders, and there are the stringy things on my tires. The rub we’re hearing in the video is too harsh for it to be those little rubbery guys, but it’s good to know because inevitably I’ll hear the noise those make and now I don’t have to wonder what it is.

Thanks much,
Leah

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 6, 2020, at 4:17 AM, Marty Gierke, Stewartstown PA <martin...@gmail.com> wrote:

Maybe you have checked, but one thing I've experienced more than once is the sound those little "tire feelers" make inside a fender. You know, the little stringy things you get on new tires - leftover from the manufacturing process? They stick up and stick out and rub on things even though the tires have plenty of room. You can trim them off easily. Fenders also seem to amplify sounds. I suspect if you ran without fenders some of the sounds would disappear. I love a silent  bike s much as anyone, but every bike has a voice of it's own . When it makes little sounds, it's just singing along for the ride. In your case, it's the sweet song o' the Platypus.

Leah Peterson

Dec 6, 2020, 9:23:45 AM12/6/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Linda, I have come to this very conclusion - you are right. I am so limited by not being able to put the bike in the stand. I plan to get one after Christmas.

I have built up a small collection of tools for simple fixes on my bike, but I really need to broaden my horizon. I have gone on YouTube but the bikes they demonstrate on are never anything like what I’ve got in front of me, and I can’t stop and ask questions, so I give up. It is my dearest wish that the next place we move to has Riv folks in it who would be willing to share a little expertise about the nuts and bolts of things on my bike. Name the price - money, food, whatever. The List has been invaluable, but it’s much easier to learn wrenching in person.

Garth, yes, good thought. Unfortunately, there’s no way it could be mud or matter in my fenders. I live in Vegas where there is no mud and I ride pavement. I’ve gotten down on wheel level and it looks pretty clean in there, not even the silver tape holding the wire seems to be the problem. I just can’t figure it out, but the sound is so harsh I would think the issue should be obvious. Well, we’ll see today.

Leah

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 6, 2020, at 5:41 AM, Linda G <orego...@msn.com> wrote:

Maybe it's time for you to get a workstand for your bike. You've probably seen them in the bike shop. They hold the bike up in air while you work on it. Even if you are not doing much mechanical work it allows you to turn the pedal with one hand while you listen to where the sound is coming from. Then you can push on a fender, move a wire, etc. and see if the sound stops. A few simple tools would allow you to adjust a fender or a brake shoe.  If you can't figure it out at least you have more information to give a mechanic. I understand that you may not want to get into this but it's just a suggestion and could save a few trips to the bike shop. I can assure you that the gene for basic mechanical competence does not only reside on the y chromosome !

True Golden

Dec 6, 2020, 10:33:29 AM12/6/20
to Digest recipients
I expect most of us if not all on this list can relate to this challenge of getting a bike perfectly
'in tune', 'in synch, 'riding flawlessly ' or whatever terms you want to describe it.

When you have several bikes it compounds the challenge.

Decades ago I paid mechanics to build up and maintain my bikes.

I recall taking over my 1999 Riv Road custom frame over to a local home bike mechanic with all the parts to build it up. I think I paid him around  $150 to do it.

Finally I bought 6 or 7 bike repair manuals and a dozen or so recommended bike tools and took to figuring it out for myself.

There was quite the learning curve and at times I felt really dense but eventually I got competent for my purposes at most of it after much trail and error.

That was before youtube

Nowadays if I get stumped I usually find a video that helps me solve the issue.

I don't consider myself an ace bike mechanic but simply adequate for my purposes.

I recommend RJ the Bike Guy videos. He's great!

Also this guy John is fantastic:

His documentation of the process is simply wonderful,  best I've found.
Quite the artist of bike restoration , I think.

As already mentioned buying a bike stand might be just the ticket for you Leah to further your bike maintenance/ repair skills.

Some bike shops or community colleges might offer basic bike repair skills classes.

Just from observation on this list I think you are well on your way and have more skills than you realize that you can build on.

Simply observation and patience can go a long way along with youtube, possibly a repair manual or two and the help of this online community.

Even as I write this I think of several fiddly things I need to do on at least two bikes.

I see bikes as rideable works of art always in a state of flux and change and needing ongoing maintenance regularly.

Fortunately I love the entire process, from finding the right bike for me,
 sourcing parts, disassembly, rebuilding to my preferences, maintaining and most of all riding them.

Occasionally I get to work on bikes with a friend or two and we get the work done as well as have great fellowship.

Possibly in your area there is a bike savvy lady that you could meet up with and work on bikes together.

Long-winded Paul in Dallas

Ben Mihovk

Dec 6, 2020, 10:51:18 AM12/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I would second what Paul is saying about working on bikes. I have absolutely no delusions about calling myself a bike mechanic or even apprentice...but I can do as much as I need to keep my bike on the road (flat repair, seating tires, installation of racks and accessories, cleaning and lubing drivetrain, etc...). I have to do all my repairs "Pasadena Style" as I don't have a rack either, but I'd like to get one before I have to do a full-on cleaning and lubing of my Atlantis.

I'm going to look at my local community college for a bike repair class...that's a great idea.

Bike co-ops are also good places to pick up and work on skills. Obviously with the pandemic things have shut down, but when my local co-op reopens for classes and open shop time, I'm definitely going to take advantage of their advanced repair classes.

Ben

David Person

Dec 6, 2020, 1:54:32 PM12/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah, it will help the mechanic to isolate the scraping sound by providing some add'l info.  Is the sound heard both when pedaling and coasting?  If it goes away while coasting, they can eliminate having to look at the crank/bottom bracket area.  If it does occur while pedaling, is it with every revolution of the pedals?  Are your pedals in the some position every time it happens (ie, right pedal at 12 o'clock, etc).  What area of the bike does it seem to be coming from, if you can tell (front, rear, etc).  If it seems to be coming from the area of one of the wheels, does it occur with every rotation of the wheel.  The more info you can provide them (or us), the better.

As an example, I kept hearing a ticking noise coming from my bottom bracket, but only while pedaling and only when the front derailleur was in the inner most position (smallest chainring while using the 2 or 2 largest cogs in back).  Turns out that when it was in this position, the end of derailleur cable was in a position to make contact with the crank arm with every pedal stroke.  Simple fix, bending the cable out of the way.

David

George Schick

Dec 6, 2020, 3:55:03 PM12/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah - first of all, I fully agree with what others have already said about getting a repair stand so you can more easily diagnose problems such as you're having with the Platypus.  They are all across the board in both price and quality.  Personally, I have a Park Tool 100-5C, which is at the more pricey end, but you can find others for less money that will still do the job.

Secondly, if you're really interested in diving into the "what makes things tick" waters of bike repair and maintenance, I have a manual that came with my Riv frame 16 years ago entitled, "The Bicycle Repair Book," Rob van der Plas, 1993 (latest revision) which would be more than comprehensive enough for your edification.  I've rarely used it so you can have it for the asking.  PM me (if such is still possible with this unfriendly Google Groups update) and I'd be happy to drop it in the mail to you.

George

Joe Bernard

Dec 6, 2020, 4:10:44 PM12/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
The most maddening noises for me are the ones like Leah's current conundrum, where it only appears while on the bike and riding. I have a bike stand and know most of the adjustment tricks on a bicycle, but this does me no good if I can't make the noise in the stand. It's the home mechanic equivalent of taking your car to the shop and it won't do the thing there that it's been doing EVERYWHERE ELSE 😠🤦

Leah Peterson

Dec 6, 2020, 5:20:12 PM12/6/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Friends!

Well, you tried. And I read every suggestion - including one an iBob sent to Patrick Moore to send to me; thank you, iBob guy! - and took them to the shop with my two bikes. The guy who greeted me looked rather surprised to see me again and immediately called out, “NNNIIIICCCCCOOOO!”

“Oh, hi, Leah!” said Nico, who now, embarrassingly, remembers me by name. “What’s going on now?”

“This is a rowdy Platypus,” I said.

1. Platypus.

I could not make that bike create the rub for love nor money! I had the video, which proved I’m not a crazy person looking for excuses to visit Nico at the bike shop. When he could not determine the cause, I read him your lists of guesses as to the origin of the sounds. He checked everything - everything! - and not one thing was rubbing. He made sure everything was tight (it was.). Cables and wires were situation correctly. Bolts were not interfering with moving parts. The rear fender is close to the chainstays, but the paint was unmarred so, doubtful. He put a clear sticker there to see if it gets scratched, but then did me one better and crimped the fender away from the stay. He rode it aggressively in the parking lot and The Rowdy Platypus behaved like a champ.

I decided that I’m going to ride this thing regardless and hope that mechanical parts have a tendency break in and straighten out.

2. Clementine.

“You brought the blue bike back, too? What’s wrong with it now?!”

I played the video (thank goodness I had proof) and Nico said it wasn’t a brake pad. He confirmed this on the stand. It was a little bit of a mystery but he dropped both wheels and allllllll the fender bolts were loose under there. Like, LOOSE. This reminds me that someday I’m going to open a bike and coffee shop we’ll call The Wiggly Fender, because I have a history of this, but I digress. Nothing else was found to be wrong with the Clem, so we’re hoping that takes care of the noise.

I took The Rowdy Platypus and the Clem back home and I put that Platypus through its paces. 17.1 miles, I took it, because that’s the exact mileage I needed to make my 3,000 mile goal for 2020. That’s for another thread. The bike mostly behaved itself with minimal rubbing sounds on 2 occasions. There’s no friction or resistance as I pedal, so I guess that’s good.

Thanks for helping me along. ♥️
Leah

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 6, 2020, at 1:10 PM, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:

The most maddening noises for me are the ones like Leah's current conundrum, where it only appears while on the bike and riding. I have a bike stand and know most of the adjustment tricks on a bicycle, but this does me no good if I can't make the noise in the stand. It's the home mechanic equivalent of taking your car to the shop and it won't do the thing there that it's been doing EVERYWHERE ELSE 😠🤦

Patrick Moore

Dec 6, 2020, 5:24:59 PM12/6/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
FWIW -- this from someone who built many bikes and overhauled many more by holding the bike up with his forehead while working on the bottom bracket, or groveled on the concrete floor with the bike splayed out in front of him -- you can do this with some efficacy on the quick and cheap by tying 2 hooks at the right height from ceiling rafters or other hooks screwed into the beams.

But with all your bike purchases and perfectionisms, I agree; get a decent stand and learn to work on them, or at least diagnose them yourself.

Joe Bernard

Dec 6, 2020, 5:41:20 PM12/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
It didn't make the noise at the shop. Of course!
But 3000 miles! Congrats! 🏆

Matthew Williams

Dec 6, 2020, 6:19:45 PM12/6/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
If the noise occurs while you're on the bike but not while it's on the stand, maybe you're the cause of the sound!

Let me explain--recently, my bike had a "click, click, click" sound I heard only while I was pedaling--I couldn't figure out of it was a pedal bearing, the bottom bracket, something stuck in the chain, or something else. Then I watched carefully as I pedaled, and saw my pant cuff was bumping against the derailleur cable end.

In your photos, I noticed you're wearing a pair of brown leather boots--could your boot heel, side, or cuff be bumping the fender as your foot returns around the crank?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/DA351E2F-447F-46A5-B5E2-907CA6E2BCF0%40gmail.com.

Patrick Moore

Dec 6, 2020, 6:26:40 PM12/6/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
+1. I had a "click-click" noise problem that turned out to be an aiglet of my left shoe's lace ticking against the frame (or was it the dt bottle cage?) at each pedal revolution.

Joe Bernard

Dec 6, 2020, 6:28:19 PM12/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Dude, that's a good call. I've had the "rubbing clothes on things" issue before, and it was the LAST thing I thought about after checking every freaking nut and bolt and pad and chainring on the bike. This could be it!

Leah Peterson

Dec 6, 2020, 6:31:46 PM12/6/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Guys, it’s NOT it. I know this because I use to cause it with my shoe too close to the where the pedal connected to the crank on my old Clementine, you know I checked. But that’s not it on The Rowdy Platypus.

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 6, 2020, at 3:28 PM, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dude, that's a good call. I've had the "rubbing clothes on things" issue before, and it was the LAST thing I thought about after checking every freaking nut and bolt and pad and chainring on the bike. This could be it!

Joe Bernard

Dec 6, 2020, 6:37:15 PM12/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm just confessing I DIDN'T check. Because Joe Bernard, Master Mechanic Who Knows All The Things, is kinda not smart! 🙃

Brady Smith

Dec 6, 2020, 7:54:27 PM12/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

I concur with all the advice about getting your own work stand. I bought a basic Park Tool stand a few years ago and went from relying on the shop for everything to doing everything but wheel builds on my own. Entirely worth it.

I’m also a stickler for noises. A few weeks ago I started up my long local climb and heard an audible click every time I turned the pedals. I spent a few hundred yards switching between pedaling and not pedaling, remaining seated and getting out of the saddle, only to locate the source of the problem—a creaky left knee. 2020 is officially the year I’ve started to feel old.

Joe Bernard

Dec 6, 2020, 8:12:41 PM12/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hehe, 2019 was the year I discovered I have arthritis at the base of my thumbs. I could tell because every ride I could hear a noise, it was me shouting "Ouch!"

Roberta

Dec 6, 2020, 9:23:38 PM12/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
“...I put that Platypus through its paces. 17.1 miles, I took it, because that’s the exact mileage I needed to make my 3,000 mile goal for 2020.”

I cannot help with the bike noises ( you've got lots of good suggestions from this wonderful group), but I can say congratulations. I look foward to reading about the journey on another thread ( to not derail this one ).

Paul Brodek

Dec 6, 2020, 10:38:03 PM12/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
None of this is intuitive, so you shouldn't feel bad about not knowing stuff. The more you learn, the less dependent you'll be on mechanics. Most of the mission-critical stuff on a bicycle is right there to see, hear and feel, so observation and inquisitiveness go a long way. Most diagnostics are easier than you think, but some are always stupidly complex. Who'd think a clunk you think you feel in the pedal is a creaky stem, or your shoelace tip, or shoe?

A workstand will be a huge help. Lifting your bike up/in/down will build muscle and character.

With all that homily stuff outta the way, to hopefully give you a little encouragement, I've got maybe two concrete-ish thoughts to offer.

You're doing a lot of mileage, very commendable, on just a couple bikes. That means things will wear quicker, go out of adjustment, maybe loosen up and rattle. Getting into a regular habit of a very quick check before you ride is a good thing. Pick up the bike an inch or two and drop it a couple of times---how does it sound? Everything tight, or some stuff rattling? Spin the wheels, watch the rim at the brake shoes. Rims true, no rubbing?. How do the tire treads/sidewalls look? Tire pressure OK? Lock the front brake and rock the bike a little---headset tight? Push down hard on the bars to make sure it's not slipping. Trap the front wheel between your legs and give the bars/stem a little twist---shouldn't turn. Squeeze/release the brake levers, make sure everything feels right. Then head out the door.

Once every few rides, once/wk, coupla weeks, whatevs, regularly and relatively frequently also checking all the nuts/bolts is also a good thing.

I get the impression that both of your bikes have relatively complex/full builds. Fenders, racks, dynamos, I dunno what else. One of the benefits of multiple bikes is potentially setting one up a little simpler, so there's less maintenance required, less to go wrong. If you don't have a lot of rain, mud, etc, maybe one bike with fenders and one without? Tires can't rub fenders, and fenders can't come loose, if you ain't got fenders. This may not be practical in Las Vegas, where you ride, etc, and aesthetics also come into play, but it may be worth thinking about.

When I only had one bike, it had to do everything. Once I had two, one had the fenders/racks/etc for commuting/hauling/raining, the other was less-encumbered as the go-fast bike. Even though I didn't/couldn't go fast. I could still commute on it in nice weather, just couldn't take as much stuff with me. The go-fast needed a lot less attention, less muss, less fuss. That's maybe not the current Riv ideal, and nobody who thinks a well-appointed bike should have all the stuff is wrong, because, it's like, their opinion, man. But I like the simplicity of also having one without a lot of stuff.

Paul Brodek
Hillsdale, NJ USA

George Schick

Dec 6, 2020, 10:54:35 PM12/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
These paragraphs from Paul contain some of the best overall advice associated with owning and riding bicycles I've seen in a long time.  I've practiced what he says over the years - especially the last decade or two - without ever realizing the practically of what I was doing.  Well said!

Leah Peterson

Dec 7, 2020, 9:58:37 AM12/7/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Paul, this is a great post, and dead useful to me. Something obvious you said that I hadn’t thought about: I’m putting a lot of miles on only 2 bikes and it means quicker wear, etc. I expect consistency because my Rivendells always give it, and I forget to consider wear until things get way out of whack. (Remember that time I discovered I’d worn my tires down to the fabric?)

The practical tips are very helpful, and I’ll have to find a way to save them and have them accessible. I’ve not been wonderful about safety checks in the past. Years ago, I took my Betty Foy to the shop for something, and while I was there, I said, “When I turn my handlebars sharply, there’s a clunk.” It had been that way for weeks; I didn’t think it was a big deal, just irritating. The mechanic was surprised to find a LOOSE HEADSET, and she told me how serious it was. I was lucky, because in those days I was the boys’ packhorse for school, carried a huge front load, and we had a long and dangerous descent. 🙄

Thanks for taking the time to send this!
Leah

Sent from my iPad

Joe Bernard

Dec 7, 2020, 2:53:52 PM12/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm not very good about the safety checks, either, and need to start doing the routine Paul laid out. Racks and fenders are especially prone to their bolts working loose, and I always find out after they've rattled for a week while wondering "What IS that??" For a guy with a workstand and a full bicycle tool kit you'd think I'd be better at this!

Joe "I'll do it later" Bernard

Mark Roland

Dec 7, 2020, 3:16:43 PM12/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes. The impracticality starts to come back though, when, after the second bike, you convince yourself you need a third, then a fourth, fifth, six, etc. Now no matter how simple the setup, you are in for some maintenance...

I was under the (mistaken) impression that the Platypus would be a no-nonsense racing bike, sans fenders, rack (we'll give you lights, since night riding is a big thing for Leah).  Definitely all that stuff increases the likelihood of having to diagnose mystery noises.

Like a toothache, these unwanted sounds tend to get worse, not better, if you try to ignore them, though I have had occasional success with this approach (with bikes, not teeth.) Recently my fully equipped El Clem started emitting a weird, high pitched squeak. It was intermittent and irregular, and it took be the better part of a week or two (of not trying terribly hard) to realize it was the left pedal that needed some lubrication. Unfortunately just squirting it with Boeshield did not do the trick, so I replaced them with silent pedals and put the offending pair in the To Be Repaired box...

I have a love hate with building up, repairing, and maintaining my bike fleet. I like thinking about builds and I like the satisfaction of having fixed something. And once I'm in the groove of doing, that's fun, too.

I've been tinkering with my bicycles since I stripped down my Bridgestone-made C.ITOH in my basement, circa early 1970s. And I do mean stripped--I took the paint off with toxic remover and a razor blade, right next to the oil burner. I recall having a few small parts left over, and it never rode quite the same again, but on the plus side it was now a lime green just like Janet M.'s Schwinn Continental at the end of the block.

I've learned a few things over the years, and can get most jobs done and completed to my satisfaction, but I would  not claim to be anything resembling a master mechanic. But even the possibility of just about anyone being able to wrench is another thing I love about bicycles. Although this coming year my plan is to build up the remaining projects in my queue and then start to make some tough decisions and pair down the bicycles and bicycle parts and focus a bit more on just ride. Good luck!

Paul Brodek

Dec 7, 2020, 3:25:46 PM12/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Self-confession, words are easy.

DAISNAID (Do As I Say, Not As I Do) Dep't: Went for a ride recently on a bike that had been in the stand the night before. Came to a corner, squeezed my brake levers, and the drop bar, er, dropped...rotated down/forward 15-deg or so. Fortunately it was a slow-down, no-obstacle move, so not braking very well didn't cause any issues. Tightened the bar bolt, all good. Then a mile or two later, I twisted around to double-check for traffic behind and...the saddle/post rotated. So, I guess that pre-ride check oughta also include making sure the seatpost don't swivel.

Physician, heal thyself!

Paul Brodek
Hillsdale, NJ USA

Joe Bernard

Dec 7, 2020, 3:35:01 PM12/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
"I was under the (mistaken) impression that the Platypus would be a no-nonsense racing bike, sans fenders, rack..."

Hehe, I think a lot of us have been down this path with a new Riv. That's certainly where my very light and zippy custom started, but now I've just picked up a nice non-grid gray Medium Saddlesack and it's going to need a support and by golly there's eyelets on that frame and well if the rack and bag are there then I suppose these fenders I have sitting around should be put to use and....

Leah Peterson

Dec 7, 2020, 3:59:59 PM12/7/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Mark, you were under the impression because you voted for and coined the term “racing Platypus”! 🤣 And I *jokingly* went along with it, but who can tell over text? No, I always planned for my 2nd bike to be lighter and not meant for hauling (but I still think of it as a racing Platypus, though I’ve taken to calling it The Rowdy Platypus since it doesn’t always behave). BUT, the thing is, it’s tough not to have carrying capability. I wanted to shed my puffy down vest the other day and was forced to sweat in it all the way home because the Platy had nothing to take it from me. I can think of times I’ve been on a date with JP in my MIL’s little lake town, and if I wanted to bring something home from a boutique or restaurant, how would I do that with no bags? I don’t want to be limited to my Clem for most of my rides, though I adore it.

So, I’m compromising. I’ll get the light R51 rack and use it to support a Small Saddlesack in gray grid, which arrives today. Little things like keys can go in the Banana Sax  in front and items like a hand bag or u lock can go in the Saddlesack. Adventuring and exercise = Platypus. Shopping, commuting = Clementine.

Sent from my iPad

Steve Palincsar

Dec 7, 2020, 4:16:31 PM12/7/20

On 12/7/20 3:59 PM, Leah Peterson wrote:
> Mark, you were under the impression because you voted for and coined
> the term “racing Platypus”! 🤣 And I *jokingly* went along with it,
> but who can tell over text? No, I always planned for my 2nd bike to be
> lighter and not meant for hauling (but I still think of it as a racing
> Platypus, though I’ve taken to calling it The Rowdy Platypus since it
> doesn’t always behave). BUT, the thing is, it’s tough not to have
> carrying capability. I wanted to shed my puffy down vest the other day
> and was forced to sweat in it all the way home because the Platy had
> nothing to take it from me.

Exactly the reason all my bikes have bags.  About that down vest,
though: one time when it was 20 degrees out (yes, midwesterners may mock
and scoff, but for metro DC 20 degrees F is damned cold, about as cold
as we ever see) I tried wearing down while riding a bike.  It didn't
take 2 miles before it became roastingly hot and sweated through - and
when down, real down, gets sweated through it becomes pretty much useless.

> I can think of times I’ve been on a date with JP in my MIL’s little
> lake town, and if I wanted to bring something home from a boutique or
> restaurant, how would I do that with no bags? I don’t want to be
> limited to my Clem for most of my rides, though I adore it.
>
> So, I’m compromising. I’ll get the light R51 rack and use it to
> support a Small Saddlesack in gray grid, which arrives today. Little
> things like keys can go in the Banana Sax  in front and items like a
> hand bag or u lock can go in the Saddlesack. Adventuring and exercise
> = Platypus. Shopping, commuting = Clementine.
> --

Steve Palincsar
Alexandria, Virginia
USA

Abcyclehank

Dec 7, 2020, 7:28:12 PM12/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

Leah,
Glad you were able to process and determine a compromise that best meets your “initial needs” regarding support light rack and saddle bag for the Platypus.  Like all relationships you and the Rowdy Platypus will feel each other out and come to an understanding about how to function well together just like you and your old steady workhorse friend the beautiful blue Clem L did.
Yet all bikes and riders evolve and can handle a large range of riding with little modifications and tweaks.
My only suggestion is not to embrace the differences and uniqueness of each so that your role as a rider and who knows maybe as a mechanic 👩🏻‍🔧 expands as well.

Just Ride!  Also 2021 needs to get here ASAP.  Great suggestion for everyone treating themselves to a Platypus or other Riv bike if they hit their riding goal for the year!

Sincerely,
Ryan Hankinson
West Michigan