FS: 55 cm Betty Foy

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Jan 29, 2020, 4:10:52ā€ÆPM1/29/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

Here is the bike that can do anything. Anything! Pull children on trail-a-bikes, ride to the beach, have stuffed animal picnics on sunny days, whisk you away over northern prairies, conquer Nevadaā€™s unreasonable hills, and sparkle like a gemstone wrapped in Christmas lights for the holidays. This is Rivendellā€™s best color scheme, and in the geometry that many of you are fond of. She is as smart as she is beautiful.Ā

This was one of the last Bettys ever made, pulled from the maw of the warehouse by Keven and brought to life at Rivendell before I arrived to pick her up. Many of her parts are still original. The hearts in the lugwork are filled in with a delightful red. There are the usual dings in the paint but no dents, and the bike has never been crashed. I am happy to send more photos upon request.Ā

She has made my life richer; and she will do the same for her next rider. She comes with everything you see here, except the saddle. She has SKS fenders, Mieshaā€™s cork grips, 2 brass bells (a polite one and a yelling one), King IRIS cage, kickstand, and Abus lock for rear axle (anti-theft deterrent; lay bike on its side and use 8 mm hex key to remove rear wheel). Bosco Bullmoose bars with Silver bar-end friction shifters.

$1800, plus shipping. Photos to come in second post - Google Groups is behaving strangely and is not attaching them at present...

PM me with questions, please.

LeahĀ

Leah Peterson

Jan 29, 2020, 4:11:53ā€ÆPM1/29/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 29, 2020, at 1:10 PM, Bicycle Belle Ding Ding! <jonasa...@gmail.com> wrote:

ļ»æ

Leah Peterson

Joe Bernard

Jan 30, 2020, 1:07:34ā€ÆAM1/30/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oh good, another Leah Bicycle Belle bike that's just perfect and rare and reminds me that instead of spending all this money and waiting for a custom..I could have bought this! But alas it is not to be, so it is for thee.

This is my favorite Riv colorway ever, I love the mostly-blue/slightly-green main color with the cutouts and hearts in red instead of the more common cream (hint, I kinda borrowed the red part for my custom). And the gold panel, downtube decal and headbadge. It's just gorgeous, somebody buy this!

Joe Bernard

Rocky B

Jan 30, 2020, 9:03:20ā€ÆAM1/30/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ugh šŸ˜«. Just the bike I was looking for but unfortunately canā€™t pull the trigger right now. Such a beautiful Betty and a perfect build for my wife. Whoever buys it will be very lucky.

Leah Peterson

Jan 30, 2020, 4:55:23ā€ÆPM1/30/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Rocky - dog deep into those pockets! This is the bike for your wife and she deserves it (Iā€™ve never met her but I have a gut feeling šŸ˜‰)

Joe - yes, I am not sure you shouldnā€™t have had BF Blue on your custom! This paint is to die for - and I would never ever have dreamt it up but itā€™s phenomenal. But nah, your color scheme is going to be perfect for your custom.

Valentineā€™s Day is coming, folks. Wouldnā€™t this be the perfect gift? šŸ˜

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 30, 2020, at 6:03 AM, Rocky B <rivv...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ļ»æUgh šŸ˜«. Just the bike I was looking for but unfortunately canā€™t pull the trigger right now. Such a beautiful Betty and a perfect build for my wife. Whoever buys it will be very lucky.

Zack Medow

Feb 1, 2020, 1:21:28ā€ÆPM2/1/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Do you remember the recommended PBH for the Bettyā€™s?

Roberta

Feb 1, 2020, 1:39:30ā€ÆPM2/1/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Until BBDD gets back to you, I think her pbh is 83.Ā  Mine is 83 and I rode her bike last year and it was lovely.Ā  It would be a perfect valentine's day present.Ā  All you'll need is a red bow.Ā

Roberta

Leah Peterson

Feb 1, 2020, 1:59:44ā€ÆPM2/1/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Iā€™m 5ā€™6ā€ with an 81 cm PBH. I told myself it was 83 (which is why Roberta thinks it is) but I re-measured recently and Iā€™m definitely 81. Wishful thinking!

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 1, 2020, at 11:21 AM, Zack Medow <zem...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ļ»æDo you remember the recommended PBH for the Bettyā€™s?

Bill Lindsay

Feb 1, 2020, 2:29:24ā€ÆPM2/1/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is probably not relevant to anybodyā€™s ruminations but... I briefly owned a 58cm Betty with the intent of running it with drop bars. When I was buying it, Keven asked ā€œdo you want to wait for the new 55? It has the identical numbers, just with the seat tube 3cm shorterā€. Iā€™m a 86cm PBH 5ā€™10ā€ Person. If I was running upright bars Iā€™d go bigger. Iā€™m certain I could rock a 55 Betty with drops and I know that if I did that, BBDD would be delighted at the resurrection

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito Ca

Leah Peterson

Feb 1, 2020, 3:21:23ā€ÆPM2/1/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Itā€™s true, I would be delighted to see one of my bikes be a Bill Lindsay Resurrectio. My Betty with drop bars! Wonders never cease. ā¤ļø

Sent from my iPad

> On Feb 1, 2020, at 12:29 PM, Bill Lindsay <tape...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ļ»æThis is probably not relevant to anybodyā€™s ruminations but... I briefly owned a 58cm Betty with the intent of running it with drop bars. When I was buying it, Keven asked ā€œdo you want to wait for the new 55? It has the identical numbers, just with the seat tube 3cm shorterā€. Iā€™m a 86cm PBH 5ā€™10ā€ Person. If I was running upright bars Iā€™d go bigger. Iā€™m certain I could rock a 55 Betty with drops and I know that if I did that, BBDD would be delighted at the resurrection
>
> Bill Lindsay
> El Cerrito Ca

Roberta

Feb 1, 2020, 6:08:58ā€ÆPM2/1/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oh, I could see that with red handlebar tape. Purdy!

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Feb 4, 2020, 5:19:14ā€ÆPM2/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sale is pending.

Iā€™m not crying youā€™re crying!!!!

Joe Bernard

Feb 4, 2020, 7:46:21ā€ÆPM2/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's going to a good home!

Leah Peterson

Feb 5, 2020, 6:43:47ā€ÆPM2/5/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Bike is being packed, transaction is still in process, but meanwhile, I did want to close out with this tribute. This bike is such a part of my life and on Instagram that I had to make a farewell for it. I raised my kids on this bike! I made a video, as I often do, for IG. The Betty is pictured in many iterations. Also of note - New Bike Day at RBW HQ. Check out Will in the background - he was brand spankinā€™ new at Rivendell when I arrived to pick up my Betty Foy. And good old Harry, Saturday Guy extraordinaire.

Youā€™ll only see the video if youā€™re replied to this thread. If anyone else is longing to see it, email me and Iā€™ll send it to you.

Thatā€™s a wrap. Iā€™m finishing this coffee and then grabbing my Clem to go for a ride. Itā€™s just us now, after all...

Video.mov

tc

Feb 5, 2020, 7:03:59ā€ÆPM2/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
You've set the bar once again, Leah.Ā  Very nice touch!

Tom

On Wednesday, February 5, 2020 at 6:43:47 PM UTC-5, Bicycle Belle Ding Ding! wrote:
Bike is being packed, transaction is still in process, but meanwhile, I did want to close out with this tribute....

Mark Roland

Feb 5, 2020, 7:41:07ā€ÆPM2/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Get outta town! Awesome! (And remind me never to play poker with you!)

Now if Rivendell would only run this as an ad during the Super Bowl, all its problems would disappear!

Great soundtrack, too.

You do know, not that there was any doubt, that even kiddingly contemplating buying it back puts you irrevocably in the "Bicycle Obsessed" category? (I have not only contemplated doing this, but actually done it. We'll see.)

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Feb 5, 2020, 8:33:28ā€ÆPM2/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks, Tom! I do love Rivendell.

Mark - hmmm...playing poker....why wouldnā€™t you play with me? I clearly have no poker face (spills guts all over emotional video, thinks out loud about dumb plans to buy back bike). I wouldnā€™t stand a chance šŸ˜‚. Bike obsessed - well, Iā€™m pretty bad but youā€™ve got it worse. You bought your own bike BACK???

Bill Lindsay is selling a slew of bikes over on his thread. Bill! Did you need me to make some sappy videos for your 9 bikes??? Iā€™m here!

Ah, you all are fun,
Leah

Joe Bernard

Feb 5, 2020, 9:00:54ā€ÆPM2/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm absolutely getting Leah do a "buy my bike" video next time I need to unload one. She's money in the bank! šŸ™‚šŸ’øšŸ’øšŸ’ø

Mark Roland

Feb 6, 2020, 6:04:35ā€ÆAM2/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
In my defense, it was actually only a frame and fork, which I needed to sell before I could build it up and try it. Turns out the guy I sold it to never built it either, so...

masmojo

Feb 10, 2020, 6:09:28ā€ÆAM2/10/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ha! Nice video.
Buy it back, yes I can relate.
When I sold my Bstone XO-1. I sold it because I figured out after 22 years that it was a smidge too small. A little of the sting was taken out, because I was selling to another Bridgestone/Rivendell fanatic, but later when he turned around and sold what was an almost totally original violet XO-1 to someone who changed a bunch of the components (black cranks?) & put stickers on the top tube that said (Purple Rain) I felt a little ill, a little helpless to stop what really felt like an injustice, but I guess your children grow away from you and you have to let them go on to their destiny.
I did sell my original "nice bike" on to a friend of mine when I bought my Klien Pinnacle back in the day. Then later bought it back when I noticed it languishing in his garage.

Having, been through that I feared you might have sellers remorse, which is why I recommended holding on to it until after you got the new bike and saw how it was going to fit your life.

Leah Peterson

Feb 10, 2020, 3:00:22ā€ÆPM2/10/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
BUMP. Is that what you say?

It has been 6 days since a List buyer claimed my Betty Foy and he has yet to provide a shipping address or payment. The deadline has now passed, heā€™s been notified, and Iā€™m re-listing the bike. There have been zero objections to the bike or the deal, for either party, so I can only speculate as to why the he did not complete the transaction. As per the deal, I have paid to have the bike professionally disassembled and packed at a local bike shop. I just need an honest buyer.

So, with that unpleasantness aside, for sale is a lovely, fully-lugged Betty Foy in 55 cm. She is boxed and ready for shipment. See my original post for the terms.

Thanks, All!
Leah
Sent from my iPad

> On Feb 10, 2020, at 3:09 AM, masmojo <mas...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> ļ»æHa! Nice video.

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Feb 11, 2020, 12:26:54ā€ÆAM2/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Roberta pointed out to me tonight that a Betty Foy would make a FANTASTIC Valentineā€™s Day bike.

Sheā€™s not wrong.

Joe Bernard

Feb 11, 2020, 12:52:38ā€ÆAM2/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Red hearts y'all!!! ā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļø

Rob Kristoff

Feb 11, 2020, 10:39:10ā€ÆAM2/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah, are you CERTAIN you want to get rid of this bike? This could be "the universe" ;) giving you a second chance.

That said, it WOULD be an all-time great Vday present.

Rob

Leah Peterson

Feb 11, 2020, 10:58:20ā€ÆAM2/11/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Rob,

Itā€™s true Iā€™m not particularly motivated to see it go. There is something about it that is just timeless and eternally lovely. When I told my family I was selling they all had the same reaction, ā€œWhat??? NO!ā€ The boys have grown up with this bike in their lives, itā€™s true.

I plan to get a Cheviot this summer, and I donā€™t feel like I should have THREE Riv mixtes, you know? Although, Iā€™m warming up to the idea a little more all the time. šŸ˜¬

Sent from my iPad

> On Feb 11, 2020, at 7:39 AM, Rob Kristoff <robkr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ļ»æLeah, are you CERTAIN you want to get rid of this bike? This could be "the universe" ;) giving you a second chance.
>
> That said, it WOULD be an all-time great Vday present.
>
> Rob

lconley

Feb 11, 2020, 11:22:14ā€ÆAM2/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
What is wrong with three Riv "mixtes"? I have a Clementine, Betty Foy, Rosco Bubbe Medium Mountain Mixte, and a Rosco Baby. Maybe you need a fourth...

Laing

Leah Peterson

Feb 14, 2020, 1:45:06ā€ÆPM2/14/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Happy Valentineā€™s Day!Ā

I usually put this in an annual post but Iā€™ll leave it here.Ā

[...]

Leah Peterson

Apr 7, 2020, 4:35:21ā€ÆPM4/7/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
SOLD. Thanks, All!