If you want to see someone's Clem L this is the thread

Johnny Alien

Apr 15, 2022, 4:53:07 PM4/15/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
My Crust supplied Clem L came a few weeks back and I made a few updates and now its ready to roll. (I won't lie a few staff bikes influenced me) I tried to put the smart stuff that Grant has suggested over the years on it. The crank was updated to a 1x Sugino with Blue Lug MKS bear trap pedals (in green). I got rid of the trigger shifter and replaced it with the clicky friction thumb shifter mounted on the inside. It really does work great but baffled my tech who kept thinking it had to be indexing. I pushed that guy way up on the bar so I could have a better grip position above the brake lever. I replaced the perfectly fine rear derailer with the best looking cheap RD out there, the Altus. I had to get a shorter stem because the reach was long for me. I went with the new Blue Lug Nitto stem. Its a killer piece of gear with the added bonus that you can swap the stem cap for something with some color.. I had to go with a black stem because silver was sold out but going panda is never a problem. I took that chance to go with the wider tosco bars and that was a smart move for me. I am really digging the toscos. Count me as a step through convert.  I am not sure I agree with all of the slow and sluggish comments for the Clem L. I am going to guess that maybe its coming down to tire choice and all of the racks and extras that people throw on.  I think mine set up this way is likely in the 25 range. Its not all that heavier than my Gallop.

I am planning on going tubeless with some wheels that Rich built for me.

Now for photos. These are not the best I have ever taken but they will have to do.
PXL_20220415_164958929.jpg

Johnny Alien

Apr 15, 2022, 4:54:34 PM4/15/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
PXL_20220415_165004234.jpg

Johnny Alien

Apr 15, 2022, 4:55:36 PM4/15/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
PXL_20220415_165011238.jpg

Johnny Alien

Apr 15, 2022, 4:57:02 PM4/15/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
PXL_20220415_165018220.jpg

The grips are the same color the sun is just making it look strange

Johnny Alien

Apr 15, 2022, 4:57:21 PM4/15/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
PXL_20220415_165027216.jpg

Joe Mullins

Apr 15, 2022, 5:24:52 PM4/15/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Nice looking bike Johnny! I’m digging the little colored bits here and there. Really makes it unique which to me is such a fun part about building up these bikes!

On Apr 15, 2022, at 1:57 PM, Johnny Alien <johnny....@gmail.com> wrote:

PXL_20220415_165027216.jpg

On Friday, April 15, 2022 at 4:57:02 PM UTC-4 Johnny Alien wrote:
PXL_20220415_165018220.jpg

The grips are the same color the sun is just making it look strange

PXL_20220415_165027216.jpg

Johnny Alien

Apr 15, 2022, 6:18:16 PM4/15/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah has inspired me to juice my bikes up with some color.

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Apr 15, 2022, 11:09:50 PM4/15/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think it came out wonderfully. And I agree with you that the Clems can be plenty fast with good wheels and tires.  Glad to see color going on Rivendells, and especially on the Clems. You can have artistic license with a Clem; they aren’t snobby; they are the heros of the Rivendell line and they will let you do anything to them. That’s my opinion on the matter.

You will love that bike, and I doubt you will miss a diamond frame after this. In fact, after seeing your bike I’m definitely choosing the Clem for my ride tomorrow. I can hardly wait!

Ryan

Apr 16, 2022, 9:21:06 AM4/16/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Very nice! You almost make me want one. I really like those colorful touches. Love the green bear traps.I think Leah has started a revolution here with the killer green and gold color accents on her Mermaid.

Johnny Alien

Apr 16, 2022, 9:54:14 AM4/16/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I am pretty addicted to the Crank Stamp 1 pedals because they are light, grippy, come in two sizes and loads of colors too. These bear traps just kept calling to me because they look so cool so I decided to use them.  I am digging them.

I also went with the huge bottle cage since the new Clems come with 3 bottle cage attachments so it was possible. I then realized that normal bottles wouldn't fit (silly me) so I bought a large water bottle. Its crazy how big it is.Hydration in the future will not be a problem.

Richard Rose

Apr 16, 2022, 10:37:12 AM4/16/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ryan, sweet ride! Is your Tosco the 650 wide, 31.8 clamp version? That’s what I have & with a FacePlater stem. I love it & it does not budge. My upgrades / changes from stock (mostly courtesy of former owner) include Simworks Bronze Bubbly pedals, Deore f/r derailleur’s, brakes & levers, microshift thumb shifters, S83 seatpost & B67 saddle, Cliffhanger/Deore wheels, Gravelking SS tires & some sweet wool bar wrap from Analog Cycles. Oh yes, Ergon cork grips. I adore this bike.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 16, 2022, at 9:21 AM, Ryan <ryte...@mts.net> wrote:

Very nice! You almost make me want one. I really like those colorful touches. Love the green bear traps.I think Leah has started a revolution here with the killer green and gold color accents on her Mermaid.

J S

Apr 16, 2022, 10:39:25 AM4/16/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Johnny, very nice, enjoy.  Which width did you get the bars in, the bike looks great.

Johnny Alien

Apr 16, 2022, 11:03:46 AM4/16/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I went with the 60's because the 65's required a 31.8 stem and 1. The Faceplatter is very tall and would result in the bars being too high and more importantly 2. Even if they would work they were out of stock and there were no other options at the time.

Now they have the new option available at Rivendell but I am happy with the 60 at the moment.

Johnny Alien

Apr 16, 2022, 11:08:44 AM4/16/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
@rmrose58 that is a killer looking Clem. I have a Deore/Cliffhanger wheelset that I am planning to get set up tubeless. I am going to throw some Gravel King SK 2.1 tires on it. If I could get the SS that wide I would have went with that but they don't exist. I am digging the ergon grips on yours.

Eric Marth

Apr 16, 2022, 11:57:22 AM4/16/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks like a very fun bike, Johnny. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Leah Peterson

Apr 16, 2022, 9:05:37 PM4/16/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Ryan! I adore my Clem and I long for you to have one!

Clems are the heros of the Rivendell line. I was just discussing this with a RivSister. I was saying that anything goes with the Clem. Do whatever you want to it; it will never complain. Clems are good-natured and stalwart and will put up with all of your nonsense. I mean, just look at what I’ve put mine through!

All. The. Colors. Video and photo below.

Video.mov
image0.jpeg

Sofie C

Apr 17, 2022, 8:03:27 AM4/17/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow, I love everything about your Clem! How do you like those bear trap pedals? I'm also intrigued by the nitto/blue lug stem you mention...

Richard Rose

Apr 17, 2022, 8:34:01 AM4/17/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Sofie, did you not like your Bubbly pedals? Technically a bear trap, I love mine.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 17, 2022, at 8:03 AM, Sofie C <sof...@gmail.com> wrote:

Wow, I love everything about your Clem! How do you like those bear trap pedals? I'm also intrigued by the nitto/blue lug stem you mention...

Sofie C

Apr 17, 2022, 8:39:04 AM4/17/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I actually never tried the bubblys! I didn't need them because I still had my monarchs that I took off my platypus, so I sold the bubblys before I could fall in love with them... what can I say, I'm fickle! I have to say I like the monarchs a lot too...

Johnny Alien

Apr 17, 2022, 9:24:05 AM4/17/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
The bear traps are really nice. There is something about the look of them that really appealed to be and the options for some color is a huge plus. They grip super well but also not to the extent that moving the foot is difficult. My normal pedals have pins that are so super grippy that you are practically locked in when you put your foot down. Its nice until you want to slightly adjust and then you realize that sometimes things can be too grippy. The bear traps are much better in that regard. I never tried the Bubbly ones but they do look pretty similar. I prefer the rounded off look of the bear traps (plus they are a touch cheaper which is always a plus).

There are three stems similar to that new Blue Lug stem. The blue lug one (of course), the new Rivendell IRD stem, and the Nitto MT-54S. They are all tig welded steel.

I have experience with the two nitto models (Blue Lug and MT) but have not held or seen the new Rivendell version.  With that in mind this is what I would suggest with them.
  • If you need to clamp onto 31.8 bars then the Rivendell option is the only choice
  • If you need to really raise the bars up then the Rivendell option is the best choice. The angle is larger and the stem length is much greater than the other two
  • If you need a shorter extension then the Rivendell and Blue Lug options are the best bet. I would lean toward the Blue Lug one as it has more size options however if you need the extra height then pick the Rivendell
  • The Nitto MT is the lightest. That's because the stem length is low. If you don't need that extra length or a shorter extension and are OK with the dull color this is a great option
  • The nicest looking of the bunch (IMO) is the Blue Lug version. Its not a TON better than the MT but it IS nicer and its the only one that gives you a color choice
  • The Blue Lug allows you to change the stem cap so you can add some flair. It looks like the Rivendell model should as well but I can't confirm that. The MT does not

Johnny Alien

Apr 17, 2022, 9:32:12 AM4/17/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
If the Rivendell model was available when I ordered this I may have went with it to get the 65 wide Toscos that only have a 31.8 clamp but I am not sure that it would have worked out for me based on the length. I am not sure I could get them low enough. I think that Riv stem and 65 Toscos is going to be a powerhouse combo though.