Help me buy a Riv

Graham McCall

Feb 11, 2020, 9:58:33 AM2/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I’m currently trying to decide what Riv to buy for a general around town city build. Plan would be upright bars, front rack and dynamo build.

I’d like something that isn’t specifically designed around carrying a ton of stuff. I’d prefer something fun to ride then be built to carry the kitchen sink.

What frames have people built up this way that feel great?

I was thinking a Joe, Homer, etc. I also love the Clem, but haven’t ridden any Riv.

Thanks!

masmojo

Feb 11, 2020, 10:17:45 AM2/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Based on your criteria and their current lineup, the Atlantis, Cheviot or Appaloosa would all work very well.

Clem, is good, but it is more of a workhorse; good for carrying "stuff". Fun, but my impression is you desire something a little zippier.

If you are within an hours drive of Rivendell HQ I'd suggest a visit. It if you are traveling to the Bay Area on business, a couple hour side trip via the BART.

Shoji Takahashi

Feb 11, 2020, 11:40:38 AM2/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Graham,
I'd also consider the A. Homer Hilsen. I've had it set up in many different ways: Albatross, Moustache/Albastache, drop bars... presently wearing bullmoose.

I have dynamo lights (rear secula on the chainstay; front IQ-X) and Mark's rack on front w/basket. It's a versatile bike, and great for general riding around. It's not as heavily built as and is faster than the Hunqapillar.

Good luck!
shoji

j.schwartz

Feb 11, 2020, 11:45:03 AM2/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
sounds like you're describing a Hilsen or a Hillborne

tc

Feb 11, 2020, 11:53:09 AM2/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Graham, it would be hard to go wrong :)  How tall are you, and what is your PBH?  If you're 6' or over, or with a 90ish PBH or more, you could get the last of the remaining 62 Sam Hillborne frameset on sale ($1200).  Riv has said more than once that they often recommend the Sam for criteria such as yours.  I can vouch; it's a fantastic ride; not too slight, not too stout.  I used to have a 58 and sold it (tad too small).  Bought the 62 and loving it.

https://www.rivbike.com/collections/web-special-frames/products/sam-hillborne-2016-framesets

drive_rear_quarter_700px.jpg

The Homer would be closest thing to it if the Sam isn't your cup of tea.  It has longer chainstays.

Tom

Roberta

Feb 11, 2020, 7:59:36 PM2/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have a 51 cm Joe Appaloosa (2 3/4 years) and a 54.5 A Homer Hilsen (8 months).  83 PBH and they both fit me great.

Joe is my in city love--wider tires, great ride.  I don't worry while riding in the poorly maintained potholed streets or hitting cracks in the MUP pavements.  I ride the A Home Hilsen mostly on paved paths, but that's because of the different locations each bike resides.   AHH is in the suburbs.   There is a bit more stand over room on the Joe A, so if they both lived at home and I were to ride in the city, that would be the one I'd pick--better for quick jump off's, too.

The Joe ride is plush and calming, but it can go fast.  The A Homer Hilsen is spritely and more spirited. And, much lighter.    I've ridden a Clem H and it's closer to the Joe A in ride feel, if you want to save some $$.

However, if I were to buy a bike today and if it would be primarily for "general around town city build", I'd look at a Cheviot.  With a Chev, you'd get a lighter bike than the Clem L, and the practical-ness of a step through.  If you like pretty, there's a Betty Foy on the board for sale, the forerunner of the Chev.

Here's the good news:  there are no bad decisions.  They are all great bikes.

Roberta

Roberta

Feb 11, 2020, 8:05:48 PM2/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Also...

Testing the bikes help me decide on the Joe A.  So, if you can go to Rivendell or a dealer that has some built up, it'll be worth the trip, as masmojo suggested.  I drove to the dealer, planning on buying the Sam H., but after one lap around the parking log, I realized Joe A was the bike for me.  I had never ridden a Riv prior to trying them at the dealership.

Roberta

Ed Carolipio

Feb 12, 2020, 2:59:08 PM2/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
A front rack with upright bars to me implies Appaloosa or Clem due to the sturdier front fork and longer reach. (I've owned both.) Prudent component selection will allow you to maintain that "fun" factor. Pick a Clem H if price is a driver; a Clem L if you want to experience the joy of step thrus; and the Joe if you want the beauty of a fully lugged frame.

--Ed C.

Mike Packard

Feb 12, 2020, 3:21:25 PM2/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Graham

Where are you located? Maybe someone on the list has some you can test ride.

In any case, Homer all the way. It's the sprightly-est. I've owned several Rivs and I'm keeping my Homer w/Albatross forever.

Mike in Austin

Mark Roland

Feb 12, 2020, 6:45:18 PM2/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wait. Is this....Bike Snob incognito?

Joe Bernard

Feb 12, 2020, 6:56:53 PM2/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hehe, Bike Snob has been to RBW and ridden some bikes. I know because he dropped me like a stone on a dirt trail at Mt. Diablo 😬

Jason Fuller

Feb 13, 2020, 11:18:16 AM2/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
There was a Hillborne replacement hinted at a while ago on the Blahg (if I read into it right), still waiting for the unveiling of that bike but I'm betting it would be a great candidate depending on your patience

Adam Leibow

Feb 14, 2020, 7:50:20 PM2/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
if you are prioritizing a city build, i'd go with the Homer or Sam. You don't need the meaty tires of the Atlantis/Cheviot/Joe, and if you do decide to do some offroad, the Homer & Sam are still great at it. The bigger-clearance'd, stouter-tubed Rivendells might become annoying if you are trying to zip through the city all the time. That said, they'd still be pretty darn fun.

Graham McCall

Mar 28, 2022, 11:19:48 AM3/28/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm located in Minneapolis MN.

Vince Allmaras

Mar 28, 2022, 1:52:53 PM3/28/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey Graham,

I am in Falcon Heights and have an older Joe. Its a double top tub 58. I am guessing it will ride similar to the newer models however. Let me know if you want to give it a spin.

Thanks,
Vince

Eric Marth

Mar 28, 2022, 2:37:41 PM3/28/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think your initial take is on the right track and you'd do well with a Hillborne/Homer or Appaloosa/Atlantis. I grouped the bikes because they're functional clones in terms of geo. Split hairs with the brakes on the Homer!

You might find the 2018 Rivendell frames catalog helpful, lots of good info there.

I have an Appaloosa with front and rear racks, 54mm tires and a dynamo. This is my all-around, camping, groceries, rides on unpaved stuff in the mountains rig.

I also have a Hillborne with 44mm tires, drop bars and a small handlebar bag (Baggins Boxy) that I use for road rides on pavement and also riding unpaved stuff in the mountains. Use it a fair bit around town, too, when I don't need to carry much. I could definitely see using it for city riding with upright bars and a front rack and basket.

Further afield a Platypus could be great and meet your requirements.

To be sure there are lots of beautiful, useful, comfortable options at Rivendell.

Sean Steinle

Mar 28, 2022, 2:43:39 PM3/28/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I absolutely loved my 58 650b Hilsen. It was setup with Albatross and was a total joy to ride. At the same time I had a Nobilette custom rando with lightweight standard diameter tubing, so an extremely lively frame. Switching back and forth, the Nobilette was noticeably more springy, but I never once felt like the Hilsen was sluggish. All smiles everytime I rode it.

Pam Bikes

Mar 28, 2022, 9:44:55 PM3/28/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
If you're going to be near Charlotte, NC you can come try out a Cheviot.  I have a 47, 50, 55, 60 cm.

Rusty Click

Mar 29, 2022, 7:30:40 AM3/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Graham,
I live in Pittsburgh, PA and if your travels take you anywhere near...say somewhere between CLE and IAD, I'd bring you my 60 Sam to ride.  I also have a MUSA 62 Atlantis that's set up as a tourer if you'd like to try it.  I use the Sam very much like you plan to do and love the ride.  I've even had racks on it and used it for weeklong touring (before Atlantis), and it held up fine even if a little out of its wheelhouse.

Rusty

Johnny Alien

Mar 29, 2022, 7:56:10 AM3/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Having a proto Gallop (designed to be a zippier road bike) and now a Clem (designed to be a do all modern mountain bike) I can say that the overall opinion that the Clem is not as sprite as other models comes down to builds more than frame. I can easily say that if I threw heavier commuter tires on the Gallop and added some racks and a Dynamo wheel and then on the flip side gave the Clem some light components and nice light/supple tires that the Clem would feel much zippier than the Gallop. I would argue that there isn't a bike in the lineup that couldnt do what you want to do and be a whole lot of fun to ride while you are doing it.  Maybe not the Roadeo but that's about it.

Emily Guise

Mar 29, 2022, 3:56:17 PM3/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hands down, IMO, get a Platypus! Honestly SO good for riding around town, it's super comfortable and stable. Climbs like a dream, fast on the flats to speed through those yellow lights, easy step through frame for hopping on and off. Looks gorgeous and you will receive many compliments, but it can definitely handle all-too-frequent potholes and unpaved gravel sections of streets (maybe that's just in Portland?). I have a basket up front and a rear rack for carrying stuff and they don't weigh the bike down at all, and they're fantastic for errands.

Roberta

Mar 29, 2022, 5:49:01 PM3/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I replied to your other thread asking about a zippy bike and gave my full endorsement to the Homer.  I just love riding that bike.

For around town though, when it's an on/off/on/off/stop at light/start/stop...oh, pothole,  I much prefer my Platy.  I built it up light-sh with great tires, rims, a 1x and Dyno lighting.  That bike goes with me on about every other long ride, sharing duties with Homer.  Platy is my commuter ride.  As Johnny said, much of it is with the build.

If I'd have to keep one bike, I'd be happy with either.

Roberta