Handlebar bags

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Oct 30, 2020, 12:58:11 PM10/30/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
While I wait for the wheelset of my Platypus, I’ve been thinking about how I want to set up my bars (sorry, I just cannot call it a ‘cockpit’). I’ve got 52 Boscos in aluminum to look forward to, and I want to keep my bike as svelte and light as I can. I did the unthinkable and paid for a Spurcycle bell just now ($49 for a bell?!) and now I need bags in keeping with the look. I’ve never ventured past Rivendell and Randi Jo for bags, so I’m unaware of what great offerings the market offers.

As far as function goes, I’ve got that figured out. Attached are our pair of mom and kid Clems, which we have set up similarly with a Randi Jo bag for our Hydroflasks and a XS Saddlesack facing the rider for iPhones/keys/essentials. I like both of these bags, but neither holds all my items. I’d like to have only one bag so my bars aren’t so cluttered. I do know that Riv is re-doing some of their Sackville line, so I’ve emailed to ask about those details. I’d prefer to give Rivendell my money, but we’ll see what those new bags are like.

Do you have any recommendations?
-light
-streamlined, unobtrusive
-zippers preferred
-no garish colors (frame is already a saturated color - raspberry metallic)
-hold a 32 oz flask AND an phone/keys/granola bar

Thanks!
Leah
6AEFD3FA-43C9-4C6D-ACD7-A7FD5BDEF2EF.jpeg
B5803159-3D28-4741-AA87-5CB1BD0B761D.jpeg

Collin A

Oct 30, 2020, 3:07:24 PM10/30/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Spurcycle has the bells for sale right now, if you wanna do a quick switcheroo...

Bags wise, the banasax mounted on the bars is a pretty good option if you want to stay in the riv-verse.

Also wanderlust does good work (MUSA). Bag might be a wee bit small, though, but simple color:

Alternatively, you could do a 32oz bottle holder and a smaller bag for keys-n-such:

Good Luck!
Collin in Sacramento
PXL_20201030_190543713.jpg

Steve Cole

Oct 30, 2020, 4:40:02 PM10/30/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah,  You will never regret buying the Spurcycle bell.  It's a wonderful way to gently warn walkers and cyclists that you are coming.  And, importantly, every time you ring it, it will be music to your ears.  Love your new ride!

Steve Cole
Arlington, VA

dougP

Oct 30, 2020, 7:33:31 PM10/30/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Basket or no?  Rear rack or no?  The Saddlesack shown in Collin's photo should be considered.  I recently got one & it does hold quite a bit:  tube, tools, lock, etc, to give you an idea of capacity.  Mounted on the front, ti would easily swallow up a phone, small purse, & misc. junk. and proved quick access. BTW, the toggle closure is brilliant, easy to use, adjustable.

dougP

Tom M

Oct 30, 2020, 8:06:12 PM10/30/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I don't know if Acorn Bags meets your requirements, but their next batch goes on sale November 2. This offering is the X-pac line (cotton duck fabric with zippers). https://www.acornbags.com Sale starts at 9 a.m. PST, and bags will go fast. I have several of their bags and no complaints.

Best of luck,
Tom
Alexandria, VA

Mark Roland

Oct 30, 2020, 8:34:27 PM10/30/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

No baskets or racks! This is a racing Platypus! I suggest not even a handlebar bag. For granola bar, keys, spare tube,
and raspberry lip gloss, Just Rde with a support Clem following when leaving the immediate vicinity.

Joe Bernard

Oct 30, 2020, 8:48:01 PM10/30/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I like Road Runner Bags out of Los Angeles. I just ordered a Buritto Supreme bar bag and whatever their seat wedge is called in gray as a light-load no-racks/fenders setup on my Riv Custom. They hold all the basic essentials and my phone is on a Quad Lock on the bars. Ya know who hates digging around for his phone in a bag when someone texts him? This guy! 🙋‍♂️

Brian Campbell

Oct 30, 2020, 11:11:37 PM10/30/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
This bag from Velo Orange might work if you hang it on the front. These are made for VO by Roadrunner. I have one on my AHH and really like. My AHH has drop bars so this might not work.

Leah Peterson

Oct 31, 2020, 12:04:15 AM10/31/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Mark, I GUFFAWED.

This is a racing Platypus! Nobody tell Rivendell. Support Clems will be easy - I got sons with Clems. New punishments for leaving their dishes out and their socks tossed willy-nilly all over the house: designated to support Clems for the racing Platypus. Don’t worry, we’re only doing 20 miles and ascending Killer Hill twice in a day!

Sent from my iPad

Leah Peterson

Oct 31, 2020, 12:09:50 AM10/31/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Collin - tons of great links. I’m checking them all out, and I love the Bananasax on your bar. Definitely a contender.

Steve - I hope so. I feel really bossy with my Crane bell on the MUP. I dread ringing it.

Doug - Rear rack only, no basket. Unless I change my mind, which happens every other day.

Tom - great find! I’m heading there now to see what they got.

Joe - you’re totally right - I need a mount for my phone. This would eliminate the need for two bags; I could get by with just one.

Brian - I’m liking the style of those VO bags but wishing they were in a more gray/ivory color.

I am thinking with my white Ergons and all the color in the frame that I might like a light colored bag on the bars. I might also chat with Randi Jo about making a custom colored one. Having so many options is dizzying.

These are great options; I’m so glad I asked! Thanks, friends!
Leah

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 30, 2020, at 8:11 PM, Brian Campbell <bdcamp...@gmail.com> wrote:

This bag from Velo Orange might work if you hang it on the front. These are made for VO by Roadrunner. I have one on my AHH and really like. My AHH has drop bars so this might not work.

dougP

Oct 31, 2020, 12:21:01 AM10/31/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
My wife has an Acorn handlebar bag on her Atlantis that is similar to this:

The black makes it hard for me to tell if it's exactly the same bag but similar in size.  On hers, we just ran some stretch cord from the D-rings around the head tube to keep it stable.  It holds plenty of little fiddly bits in addition to the usual phone, energy bar, & glasses.  Acorn makes great stuff in small batches & always seems to improve the product.

dougP

dougP

Oct 31, 2020, 12:25:46 AM10/31/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
"Support Clems will be easy - I got sons with Clems"

It's about time they started carrying some of the load.  These kids couldn't have a better bike for riding support for you.  OTH, it might be nice to take off on your own sometimes.

dougP
Mark, I GUFFAWED.

Message has been deleted

John Hawrylak

Oct 31, 2020, 1:48:13 AM10/31/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah

What about a Nitto F115 bag support on the bars and an Ostrich F516 bag??   The bag has sleeves on the each side and the rack slides thru the sleeves to support the bag.  The bag has a nice map case on top.   RBW used to sell a Baggins bag that mated to the F115 bag support.

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ

JAS

Oct 31, 2020, 11:32:56 AM10/31/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
If you go custom from RandiJo, maybe a subtle grey with that beautiful pink top like on the Rodeo Queen Bartender?

Steven Sweedler

Oct 31, 2020, 11:40:30 AM10/31/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Take a look at Waxwing bags in Vermont, Steve
Plymouth, New Hampshire

On Sat, Oct 31, 2020 at 11:33 AM JAS <swanso...@gmail.com> wrote:
If you go custom from RandiJo, maybe a subtle grey with that beautiful pink top like on the Rodeo Queen Bartender?

Steven Sweedler
Plymouth, New Hampshire

Roberta

Oct 31, 2020, 2:24:51 PM10/31/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice.  there is another more subtle color in the "painted hills" top.  Be sure to get some teal in there.

If you go custom with Randi Jo,perhaps two of the same bag that the parts color placement compliment each other?

I have two of the same bartender style bag in complimentary colors that I sometimes put on my bike, on either side of the stem---one for water bottle, the other for phone, tools, granola bar, etc.  It is a cohesive look that I like.  Your XS saddle sack probably holds more, though.

Roberta

Roberta

Oct 31, 2020, 2:41:22 PM10/31/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
John,
I sent you a PM.
Roberta

Steve Cole

Nov 1, 2020, 6:26:37 AM11/1/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah,

I'm a bit embarrassed to send this reply.  My embarrassment derives from the fact that the bag I'm going to tell you about I first saw in a Facebook ad.  I can't even recommend it as I have not tried it . . . yet.  I did bite and one is on the way to me from, I would guess, China, but who knows.  I jumped on this bag for a few reasons.  Mostly, they have to do with what it can do.  It's easy to open while cycling as the opening faces the rider. Second, it has loads of attachment points for phones, Go Pros,  bells, lights, etc.  Third, it seems to fit very comfortably between drop handlebars and shouldn't be an issue for upright bars like I use.  Finally, the price is very right -- $40.  Here's the link:

And here's a photo:

I don't think it comes in other colors so it may not work with your raspberry sparkler.  Still, I think it's work looking at the website at least to see how clever the designers were in developing this bag.  For me, this just looked too good to pass up and pass along.

Cheers,
Steve Cole
Arlington, VA

Steve Cole

Nov 1, 2020, 2:33:31 PM11/1/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I thought everyone should know that I received the following private email from another lister.  Caveat Emptor:

I am new on the list, so we haven’t corresponded before, but I just saw your post, below, and thought you should know that is a bag that was sold as a Kickstarter item and was pretty expensive.  Right after the Kickstarter ended, they started seeing a lot of fake ads selling the bag very inexpensively, like the one you posted.  But the thing is, that bag doesn’t even exist yet.  And the company that is making the bag, called Route Werks, sent out an email warning about the fake ads.  I thought you should know.  I hope it all works out for you.

Sorry if I have caused anyone any problems.

Steve Cole
Arlington, VA

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Nov 1, 2020, 8:19:19 PM11/1/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Fret not, Steve. You cannot know what you do not know! Glad someone caught it.

Thanks for all these suggestions, everyone. I’ve looked at every one and have lots to think about!
Leah

Hetchins52

Nov 2, 2020, 2:08:31 AM11/2/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

It's the F15 bag support.

https://www.benscycle.com/nitto-f15-handlebar-bag-supporter-bag-part-nitto--870-131-11/p

I have this and the Rivendell handlebar bag -- “Sackville BarSack” — that was designed for it. Pretty easy to slide on and off. Great magnetic closure for the top. Sadly, no longer made.

Ryan Hankinson said he had a grey one on June 9th of this year when there was discussion of it on this list. "WTB: Rivendell handlebard rando bag"

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/1e3dcc9d-2ad8-4721-81d6-5da475442c86o%40googlegroups.com

I think the Gilles Berthoud #192 bag will use the F15 rack, but was designed for the Klickfix mount and “fork.” You can see the sleeves and fork here:

https://berthoudcycles.fr/en/922-handlebar-bag-gb192-gray.html

The Swift Industries Paloma uses the Klickfix fork and mount, too. It is customizable and made in the USA. Not sure if they are making and shipping anything right now.

Outershell Adventures in SF makes a high value, versatile, not too expensive ($90 or $100) handlebar bag. It uses straps and elastic cords. Wide array of colors, too.

https://outershelladventure.com/shop/handlebar-bag

They are producing — I just bought a smallish rack/basket bag from them that can be made smaller and carried as a shoulder bag. They’re good at answering emails and I got fast service.

Ruthworks in SF makes two Brevet bags that attach with straps and elastic to the bars and the stem. I have one that Eli at Ruthworks customized with two D ring loops so that I can carry it with a shoulder strap. Can be ordered in different colors, too.

https://www.ruthworkssf.com/ultralight-brevet.html

https://www.ruthworkssf.com/store/p198/Micah.html

The Acorn X-Pac Handlebar Bag is only $79 but you need to order it Nov. 2 or wait a while for the next batch. Only in black. Beautifully made bags.

David Lipsky

greenteadrinkers

Nov 2, 2020, 9:57:11 AM11/2/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Leah,

My wife has this in white on her bike (she loves it, it's perfect for a day trip bag). It's super functional, really well made, and kinda high fashion.

I've mounted it on my Sam that's set-up with a Bosco-moose and it worked great. I'd suggest getting a large fit water bottle cage for the 32oz bottle, that much water, up high, and out front of the bars will noticeably affect handling (I've tried it!).

Crust seems to have the impossible to find hand-dyed version in stock:

Scott

Eric Peterson

Nov 2, 2020, 12:42:24 PM11/2/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice list.
However I do not believe the berthoud  GB192  bag uses the Klickfix connection.

--Eric

Paul Clifton

Nov 2, 2020, 12:43:11 PM11/2/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Since this thread is still going and packed with lots of good recommendations, I thought I'd add something. I got inspired to search for "bike bag" on etsy the other day and was pleasantly surprised by the results. https://www.etsy.com/search?q=bike%20bag

There are tons of fun options, and I bet most of these crafts-people would do a custom feature or two. Some of them are even well-known bike bag brands (e.g. Roadrunner).
I haven't bought any of these, but I think I will next time I need a bag. The prices are definitely pretty fair!

Ellum Bag Works has some cool looking options (tie dye stem bottle bag, but it might not fit a 32oz bottle. This one will though.).

Stradasoul makes some cool looking stuff made out of cordura and repurposed inner tubes, including a stem bag (seems too small), but I really like this medium sized handlebar bag.

BriggsAdeventureGear makes a decent looking cordura stem bag that fits a 1-liter nalgene and is only $35 bucks, but it might not be classy enough for that beautiful new Platypus.

And LexisTreeFort has the best looking little handlebar tube I've ever seen with a ton of options to customize, https://www.etsy.com/listing/795747837/custom-round-bicycle-handlebar-bag-you?ref=shop_home_active_6&frs=1

I can't wait to see your new bike built up!

Paul in NW AR
Message has been deleted

greenteadrinkers

Nov 4, 2020, 10:16:36 AM11/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Cedaero makes a stem bag designed specifically for a 32 oz bottle (deleted previous post to post a direct link to Cedaero):

https://www.cedaero.com/bikebags/devilskettlexl

Scott

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 10:09:48 AM UTC-5 greenteadrinkers wrote:
This company, Cedaero makes a stem bag designed specifically for a 32 oz bottle:

Scott

Adam Leibow

Nov 4, 2020, 2:40:43 PM11/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Peep the Tunitas Carryall Bar Keeper bag. I worked on the colors for this one and I have 8 left for sale: LINK

Mike Packard

Nov 4, 2020, 7:21:47 PM11/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bike Snob NYC mentiond a pannier from this company I'd never heard of before: https://www.pocampo.com/collections/all-products

The Mosaic color looks really cool.

mike

Jason Fuller

Nov 4, 2020, 8:10:18 PM11/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Since we're avoiding cockpit as a term, I'm not sure where Fabio's Fanny lands but it's an interesting (and trendy!) option if you manage to grab one in the short and sporadic windows they are available.  Navy or black might work?
https://ronsbikes.com/collections/shop-all-products/products/fabios-fanny

Using it as a fanny pack off the bike is strictly optional, but handy and you DO identify as a dork so....

Leah Peterson

Nov 4, 2020, 8:50:51 PM11/4/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Mike, I’m glad you mentioned Po Campp - I had forgotten about them. They are wonderful; I would definitely put these on my Clem. (The Platypus is getting neutral, maybe ivory and dove gray bags.)

Sent from my iPad

S. Greco

Nov 5, 2020, 5:47:34 PM11/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I designed the Route Werks bags. There were an astounding number of scam sites that popped up once the Kickstarter was funded. I tried posting about it here but the post was taken down. Our test team is packed with riv-riders. I even put my Rivendell in the video! Anyway, I can attest that they bag is in fact real and meets Leah's requirements. We just started production and will be shipping in January. They will be available for pre-sale on our webstore this week.

Roberta

Nov 5, 2020, 9:59:33 PM11/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
About how much weight can you put on the handlebars (no rack)  before steering becomes an issue?

Nick Payne

Nov 6, 2020, 1:45:36 AM11/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have both Ortlieb and Arkel handlebar bags on different bikes - in fact I have mounts for the Ortlieb on two bikes and for the Arkel on two bikes. Both bags work well - they click on and off the mounts quickly, and are perfectly stable in use. I use the padded Ortlieb camera insert in both bags, as I use them for carrying camera, small binoculars, phone, powerbank, passport, etc when touring.

I also contributed a kickstarter pledge for the Route Werks bag (https://routewerks.us/), but as I don't have it yet I can't comment on how well it works.

Nick

Patrick Moore

Nov 6, 2020, 5:34:40 PM11/6/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
I hadn't been following this thread, and I'm glad I clicked on this message.

I don't usually pay much attention to bar bags (I've tried a fair number, but my preferred frames don't encourage heavy front loads), but this bag and mounting system is one I'd seriously consider. From what I think I've seen, the permanent-mount clip is small and unobtrusive, and the decently-sized bag just clips on and off. Now that I am waiting for a builder to build and send me a new rear rack (for panniers) for my new fixed/3 speed road bike, and I've just installed Alex's Sackville Medium I could certainly use a bar bag like this one. I'll keep my eye on it.

I'm sorry your posts about counterfeits were taken down; I'm curious what went on ...?

1. As Roberta asked, how much weight can this system comfortably carry?

2. And, what colors will it come it?

3. And lastly, how much for the system once on the market? (I won't pre-order, all bagged out for the year, so I'm curious about the forecast retail price.)

Nice work, to judge by the information and photos on the linked site!

Patrick Moore

S. Greco

Nov 8, 2020, 2:22:37 PM11/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
The spec is 4kg (8.8ish lbs). I ride mine filled with heavy camera gear and haven't noticed any steering issues. I'll have production samples in a few weeks, perhaps you'd like to test one?

S. Greco

Nov 8, 2020, 2:22:37 PM11/8/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Howdy Patrick & Leah
1. The current weight spec is 4kg or ~8.8lbs. It's pretty hard to get beyond this weight unless you are carrying something very heavy. For instance, a 32oz water bottle will fill most (not all but most) of this bag's internal volume, but that bottle + water still only weighs about ~2lbs.
2. There's a bunch of plans for new colors. We're also hoping to do some formed leather and carbon lids as options in the future. There will likely be a mini wald-style basket that utilizes the same mount in the near future.
3. I believe the price will remain at $179 -  though we are hoping to move production to the USA and offer the bags in Xpac versus the woven nylon post-kickstarter.

I don't want to hijack this thread so if you have any questions feel free to email me.
I will have production samples in the coming weeks and would love to share some of them with RBWOBers.

I will say that handlebar bags in general have become my favorite way of carrying things. It wasn't until recently that I became somewhat dependent on them. I used to always be more of a pannier rider. A few of my rivs do not have braze-ons on the fork, and this bag has become a really nice way to add that experience without p-clamps - though nothing against p-clamps :)

Patrick Moore

Nov 8, 2020, 7:02:05 PM11/8/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
Sam: Thanks for this update and clarification. Will you please keep the list updated on developments and progress toward sale to public?

I can't guarantee that I'll be a customer, but of the many bar bags I've tried, and the many more I've read about, this one is among the most promising. $180 is a lot of money for a small bag, but I'm at that point in life where I've defined (mostly) what I want and can afford (often) to pay for it.

Joe Bernard

Nov 11, 2020, 6:44:14 PM11/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
This doesn't apply directly to what Leah's looking for but I mentioned it and now it's here and I have pics! Road Runner Burrito Supreme and wedge bag in a gray that perfectly matches the sidewalls on the tires. Matchy-matchy!!!

Joe "I'll take the gray to go with the gray and the other gray" Bernard

20201111_153709.jpg

Joe Bernard

Nov 11, 2020, 6:45:12 PM11/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
20201111_153702.jpg

Mark Roland

Nov 11, 2020, 9:47:30 PM11/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Slick! I like that.

Jason Fuller

Nov 12, 2020, 12:25:19 AM11/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
VERY nice Joe!  Always a treat to see new photos of the custom.

Joseph Bernard

Nov 12, 2020, 12:27:15 AM11/12/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
You're supposed to be looking at the bags! (I'm totally showing off my custom 😬)