Drop Bombadil in the depths of the Old Forest

Jason Fuller

Mar 27, 2024, 8:31:52 PMMar 27
to RBW Owners Bunch
This bike is not new to most of you, but I wanted to share a proper photo taken by a friend of the current configuration. The photo was taken midway up a low-traffic, rather technical hiking trail that followed a creek up the mountain to the powerline cut where we were aiming. None of it was rideable, nor did we expected it would be. It's a heck of an upper body workout, and frustrating at times, but I've been enjoying these "rides" where we try to link up sections we know are good using as little pavement as possible. The key has been to accept that there will be some hike-a-bike.

Anyhow, the Bombadil, which I've had since October 2020, purchased from Joe, and repainted by Chris DeKerf around Christmas 2021, is now in "drop bar adventure bike" configuration. It's strange, no doubt, to have a Hillborne and Bombadil and to put the drop bars on the Bombadil. But my logic is - the Hillborne is a great commuter and errand bike on Albatross and with the pannier rack. It's got a kickstand, too. The Bombadil may be stout but it's capable of just about anything, and with drop bars it feels pretty sporty and not unlike a 'monstercross' rig. Just prettier.

Plans at present include: install the SON fender mount tail light I have around, add a M1-B front rack so I can run a larger bag, and swap the bright fender flap for a grey Riv one I have kicking around. I also have a full canvas camp setup using R-10 and Tubus Tara racks; looking forward to some more adventures on this soon!

1000003081.jpg
1000003081.jpg

Brian Turner

Mar 28, 2024, 8:14:25 AMMar 28
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

One of my favorite Rivs on the internet! Looks right at home with the drops and ready for ruff stuff. How short of a stem did it take to get a comfortable reach?

-Brian

Joe Bernard

Mar 28, 2024, 8:20:18 AMMar 28
to RBW Owners Bunch
I love this bike!

Josh C

Mar 28, 2024, 8:28:17 AMMar 28
to RBW Owners Bunch
I second that. Killer bike.

Doug H.

Mar 28, 2024, 12:02:37 PMMar 28
to RBW Owners Bunch
Perfect setting for a do-it-all bike.
Doug

John Bokman

Mar 28, 2024, 3:39:15 PMMar 28
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks great Jason. Also curious about the stem. And wondering what width tires under those fenders? Looks like you may have break-away fender tabs on there?

John

Jason Fuller

Mar 28, 2024, 4:34:02 PMMar 28
to RBW Owners Bunch
Cheers, all!

The stem is as short as they get - Crust BJ stem, which is 25mm length and doesn't even have an extension tube. I tend to prefer a shorter reach and even on the Hillborne I run a 5cm Tallux, despite the bike not being too large at all. I like how it keeps me from being too much on the front wheel during off-roading.

Indeed I have safety tabs on the front, will on the rear soon too - I did have a stick jam situation before while on a very untrodden and remote stretch of double track and I don't wish to repeat that harrowing situation again. They are the Simworks 63mm fenders and underneath are 48mm Ultradynamicos.  I don't really like knobby tires plus fenders generally because all the "bzzzt" noise of pebbles going through the fender is annoying, but these are good because they have a pretty solid center section and widely spaced, shallow knobs on the side - they don't pick stuff up like most knobbies. Plus they handle predictably both on and off pavement

John Rinker

Mar 28, 2024, 11:56:16 PMMar 28
to RBW Owners Bunch
Man, that Bomba is cool, but that split rock is outtasight!

The rock looks as though the tree roots envelop it. Next time you're by that place I'd like to see the bigger picture.

What a special spot to ride an outstanding bike to.

Cheers, John

vernon brooks

Mar 29, 2024, 12:10:14 AMMar 29
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ran a drop Bombadil for a couple years before letting it go, such an incredible bike. Handled anything the Bay Area had to offer with ease. Here’s a photo of mine in a small redwood grove in Golden Gate Park.

Jason Fuller

Mar 29, 2024, 1:50:26 AMMar 29
to RBW Owners Bunch
Vernon - dang that's a sweet build too! Looks like the perfect everywhere rig. How come you sold if you don't mind?  I will admit I think about parting with mine sometimes (only due to apartment living's space constraints) but not right now!

John - I can actually produce a wider angle photo of this rock-tree situation, which was very interesting. I have no idea how this happened but maybe someone else in the group might!
PXL_20240324_195144836.jpg

vernon brooks

Mar 29, 2024, 2:40:58 AMMar 29
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Jason,

At one point I shared a work space with a friend that made housing more than enough bikes realistic. One of the owners of the building passed away and his brother wanted to sell. I was forced to move everything I had accumulated over years into my apartment in San Francisco. Space was limited but the transition was tolerable for some time. My wife and I decided it was time for our long stay here (almost 15 years) to come to a close and we will be moving soon. I kept the bike I’ve always felt most connected to (2006 Atlantis also my first Riv) and will be building something special that I have stashed away for her this summer. I will say that each bike that I’ve sold went to a good home and it makes me happy to see people are enjoying them. Sometimes if you have too many they kind of become a trophy of sorts. It’s easy to see that you enjoy detail in all of your builds, keep riding your Bombadil it’s a beautiful bike!

Cheers to a little more dirt,
Vern in San Francisco

Mike Godwin

Mar 29, 2024, 4:42:10 PMMar 29
to RBW Owners Bunch
Man, that big view is so cool. It looks like the rock displaced the trees, but that is not the case. I could spend hours walking around that spot.  Fabulous photograph of the interaction of plants and the earth.

Mike SLO CA

Junes

Mar 29, 2024, 9:10:47 PMMar 29
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Incredible photo and incredible natural wonder.

(the Bomba is rad too!!) Thanks Jason.

On Mar 29, 2024, at 01:50, Jason Fuller <jtf.f...@gmail.com> wrote:

Vernon - dang that's a sweet build too! Looks like the perfect everywhere rig. How come you sold if you don't mind?  I will admit I think about parting with mine sometimes (only due to apartment living's space constraints) but not right now!

John - I can actually produce a wider angle photo of this rock-tree situation, which was very interesting. I have no idea how this happened but maybe someone else in the group might!

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/f37a3f60-d617-4d0a-b08f-553e49b4d5een%40googlegroups.com.
<PXL_20240324_195144836.jpg>