stripped derailleur hanger threads

jandrews

May 10, 2019, 8:47:11 AM5/10/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Surprisingly this topic hasn't been covered all that much on this list.
my 2009 Sam has stripped threads in the derailleur hanger tab.
I noticed it when doing some recent drivetrain work on it and realize I was probably riding it with a loose derailleur for some time.
I was replacing installing a Wolftooth Roadlink when I discovered I couldn't sink the bolt in far enough to make a secure connection.  When I reverted back to my original derailleur, the same issue presented itself.  It seems like the most outboard threads are the ones that are stripped and the very inner threads still have grip.
So, my query here is , what should I do.
I've been recommended the Wheels Mfg. Dropout Savers which seem like a very smart, very strong fix to this problem, but the thought of drilling out the hanger tab feels like almost a last resort.
I guess the real last resort is taking it to a builder to put on a new rear dropout but I don't really want to do that right now either.

Are there any other fixes to this problem besides the Dropout Savers?
And...has anyone here used the Dropout Savers successfully?
thanks

Christopher Cote

May 10, 2019, 8:53:45 AM5/10/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've never had to use the Wheels dropout saver, but it seems a perfectly reasonable solution. The only thing you're drilling out are threads that are so damaged as to be worthless.

Another, possibly more invasive, solution is to have someone braze some brass into the threads, and tap threads into that. It will burn some paint off, and brass is softer than steel, so those threads won't be very strong.

Chris

John Casteen

May 10, 2019, 9:17:13 AM5/10/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I agree with Chris-- the dropout saver looks like it should work.

Another approach, if for whatever reason you decide not to go that route: step up to the next size mounting bolt, drill and tap the dropout to accept it, and if necessary drill the derailleur mounting hole to the appropriate diameter.  If you decide down the road that you want a different derailleur, you still have the dropout saver as an option.

John

Christopher Cote

May 10, 2019, 9:44:04 AM5/10/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I should add that I've used similar thread inserts for other applications like a stripped oil pan drain threads. They work very well, and if done carefully, are better than the original threads.

Chris

Peter White

May 10, 2019, 12:11:43 PM5/10/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Back when I was servicing bikes I used the dropout savers on several steel frames. Worked as advertised.

PJW

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 9:44 AM Christopher Cote <christophe...@gmail.com> wrote:
I should add that I've used similar thread inserts for other applications like a stripped oil pan drain threads. They work very well, and if done carefully, are better than the original threads.

Chris

Peter White

Ian A

May 10, 2019, 12:52:38 PM5/10/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Drop-out saver. Instal and forget it ever happened. All other options remain open after using the drop-out saver. It's a cheap and effectively guaranteed solution. The one issue could be the chain fouling on the d.o. saver in the highest gear (smallest cog). I had to file my d.o. saver a mm or two to make the flange thin enough to clear the chain.

On my afflicted drop out, I made the hole as small as possible in order to achieve a press fit. Doesn't exactly keep the d.o. saver fully captive, but makes it less fiddly when threading in the derailleur.

IanA Alberta Canada

jandrews

May 10, 2019, 3:13:44 PM5/10/19
to RBW Owners Bunch