1985 Bridgestone MB-3 build and video

Eric Marth

Mar 25, 2023, 5:42:02 PM3/25/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
MB3 01.png

Hi all — Last year I overhauled an '85 MB-3 for a friend of mine. I've finally finished the build video and it's up over here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4bVS9ovmMg

This was one of those builds that spent a lot of time sitting around the garage while I was figuring stuff out and waiting on parts. I picked it up on Marketplace for $120 but soon decided I overpaid. When I first looked at it the brakes didn't work and the tubes wouldn't inflate. There was funky silver and black spraypaint in spots, which I actually thought looked great. I later discovered the fork crown was twisted and the steerer tube was badly bent. Efforts to find a vintage fork with enough stack proved frustrating and I even bough two dud forks before finally settling on a Sunlite MTB fork that I almost find offensive.

MB3 04.png

MB3 03.png

I'm pleased with the silver drivetrain and the understated upright build with Boscos. The new owner has been enjoying it on family outings and evening rides.

Thanks for taking a look!

Build list
• 1985 Bridgestone MB-3, 23" frame, Cadet Blue
• Sunlite Rigid MTB fork
• FSA Duron 1" headset
• Araya 26" wheelset
• Schwalbe Fat Frank tires, 26 x 2.35
• Nitto x RBW Bosco bar, 56cm
• Nitto Technomic 11cm stem, 25.4 clamp
• Suntour Power Thumb shifters
• Shimano XT brake levers
• Origin8 v-brakes
• Jagwire cable housing, ice gray
• WTB New Paradigm Grease Guard headset
• Sakae SA Crankset 46x36x28
• Shimano 115mm square taper bottom bracket
• Shimano 6 speed freewheel, 14-34
• MKS Grip King Lambda pedals
• Shimano FD-AL11GS front derailer
• Shimano RD-Z503 rear derailer
• Kalloy Uno 26.6 seatpost
• Brooks B17 standard saddle
• Wheels Mfg. brass housing ferrules
• Tanaka bottle cage

GLENN S05.JPG

Keith Paugh

Mar 25, 2023, 11:08:08 PM3/25/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Nice build Eric!
Looked like fun to put together!

k.

On Mar 25, 2023, at 2:42 PM, Eric Marth <eric...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

<GLENN S05.JPG>

<MB3 04.png>
<GLENN S05.JPG>
<MB3 01.png>
<MB3 03.png>

st nick

Mar 26, 2023, 11:36:56 AM3/26/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Eric, another nicely done build!

Thank you for sharing these projects.
You really excel on your video documenting of them.

I'm sure the friend appreciates all the work and attention to detail you out into it.

I agree on the vintage Suntour power shifters.
They are terrific!

It can be a challenge finding the right replacement fork for some of these vintage bike builds.

I'm still looking for the right one for my Austro Daimler Puch Vent Noir II.

Last week I built up an early 80"s Univega Gran Premio from the bare frame that came with a non original fork. That included fork turned out to be a narrow .833. I wish the eBay seller had mentioned that.

It turned out I had a suitable fork
(of course wrong color) in the parts stash.
For now I stripped that fork to bare finish.

I really enjoy your builds of these vintage bikes.

I enjoy the process as well but I must rein it in.
I counted 11 rideable bikes in my very crowded garage. Most of them are from the 80s.
(Not to mention 5 or 6 frames I must decide what to do with )

I hope to get in a nice ride on one of them today.

Paul in Dallas

Eric Marth

Mar 26, 2023, 12:30:30 PM3/26/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Keith: Thanks a bunch!

Paul: Replacement fork sourcing seems to be a fine art perhaps best left to antiquarians and archivists! It is indeed fun to work on an old frame, install some contemporary parts and get to something practical and appealing. Enjoy your ride!