Kid/Haulin’ Trailer Recommendations for Clem.

David B

May 31, 2020, 10:02:15 AM5/31/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
My older kid is getting too big for a Yepp rear seat based on weight limit from Yepp - rack itself is rated a lot higher.

So, looking into options - a trail a bike might work, but leaning toward a trailer that could do duty as a grocery hauler.

Any trailer recommendations that:
- are designed for children
- can fit 2 children OR work with an existing rack/rear child seat
- can handle some dirt/gravel trails

Not sure about mounting options for a Clem H, but it’ll go on there.
Thanks,
David

Michael Baquerizo

May 31, 2020, 12:03:28 PM5/31/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I found a wealth of info on this topic from here, both in the article and in the comments:

obviously since youre hoping it attaches to a clem, that would mean buying the leap from xtracycle, but i think the result is similar?

Michael Baquerizo

May 31, 2020, 12:16:01 PM5/31/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

Mike Packard

May 31, 2020, 1:35:41 PM5/31/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Weehoo. Little ones can help peddle or just fall asleep, very maneuverable, goes anywhere. Daughter is 7 and still wants to ride ours.  https://rideweehoo.com/

David B

May 31, 2020, 1:46:09 PM5/31/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Michael,
Thanks for the link - neat bike. In my case though, I already have a Yepp seat setup, but my oldest is reaching the weight limit for the seat itself - not sure I want to push that limit at all, which is why I'm looking specifically for a trailer. And also wanting something that can be attached/detached somewhat easily to use the bike without kids in tow.
David

Howard Hatten

May 31, 2020, 2:09:40 PM5/31/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
David,
I bought a burley dlite off Craigslist for $100. I haul my groceries more than my grandkids but it works fine for both.
My daughter bought a burley encore. It has many nice features for collapsing and storage purposes. I believe they offer larger tires for off road use.
New, they’re expensive. She purchased hers online from bed bath & beyond. They allowed her to use her 20% off coupon for a savings of $100.

Howard
Livonia Mi

Michael Baquerizo

May 31, 2020, 3:17:55 PM5/31/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ah, gotcha. The removability is obviously not an option here.

I wasn't showing you that bike for the yepp seat they have on it. It just hit a few of your other points, like able to go off road and handling the weight. I've seen 3-4 kids on the back of an xtracycle, and am also considering one myself.

Michael Baquerizo

May 31, 2020, 3:19:59 PM5/31/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
The comments section of that thread also lists the pros and cons of a trailer from a lot of different POVs, like peace of mind having something trailing behind you so far, better for younger kids who will inevitably fall asleep on longer rides. Anyway, i'll shut up and I promise i'm not a xtracycle spokesman.

David B

May 31, 2020, 6:03:14 PM5/31/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Got it - I might consider an Xtracycle conversion on an old mtb if I don't figure out a solution for the Clem.

Clark Fitzgerald

Jun 1, 2020, 11:37:24 AM6/1/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
+1 for a used Burley. I bought mine for $60, it's probably 15 years old, and still going strong.

CharlieG

Jun 2, 2020, 4:38:51 PM6/2/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I’ve been pulling my twins in a Thule Chariot 2-kid trailer for the last couple of years. They just turned three and still fit - tightly. I’ve found it to be pretty good. It also works okay for hauling a case of beer home from the bottlo (sans kids, obvs).