Pitted German mirror and possible WTB the mirror

REC (Roberta)

Aug 13, 2019, 3:24:36 PM8/13/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
My Rivendell German mirror https://www.rivbike.com/products/german-mirror is very pitted, making it hard to view what's behind me.  I've had it on my bike for two years and its always stored inside and kept dry.

Is this normal?

If it's an anomaly, does anyone have just a mirror (it looks like I can just pop out the current mirror and pop in another) or the mirror with its housing that they'd want to sell?  I don't need the attachment to the bike part, but I'd buy it too, if that's the only way.

Thanks,
Roberta
Philadelphia, PA

Joe Bernard

Aug 13, 2019, 10:23:00 PM8/13/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Roberta, yes they get pitted, it's kind of annoying. I have two I'm not using, if you email me I'll hook you up with one for, say, $15 shipped?

Evan E.

Aug 14, 2019, 3:51:55 PM8/14/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
If Roberta claims Joe's German mirror, awesome. But if anyone else wants one (gently used and not yet pitted), let me know. I don't need it and I'd like you to have it.

J Imler

Aug 14, 2019, 4:19:48 PM8/14/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'd like a German mirror for my upcoming Clem L acquisition. I'll PM you.

Eric Floden

Aug 14, 2019, 4:24:17 PM8/14/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have this mirror on my Fargo (6 yrs) and Bomba (2) and they are still AOK. Ach.

EricF
Golden Lake Ont

REC (Roberta)

Aug 14, 2019, 4:30:42 PM8/14/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
This group is the BEST!

I was able to secure one right after I posted this from someone who was quick on the PM email response!

I hope everyone can get the mirror of his dreams!  :)  I'm unhappy about the pitting, but it is an elegant looking mirror.

Thank you to ALL.  Thank you to Joe.

Roberta

Friend

Aug 14, 2019, 5:12:39 PM8/14/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
So much action to follow!  Any more mirrors available?  Also could use one for a Clem L that's on the way.  And what do ya'll mean by pitted?

RichS

Aug 14, 2019, 6:34:49 PM8/14/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ditto on the pitting question. I've used the German mirror on two of my Rivs for the past 4-5 years and they're still in fine condition.

Thanks very much,
Rich in ATL

REC

Aug 14, 2019, 6:54:07 PM8/14/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Friend,

Congratulations on the clementine L!   It looks like a most awesome bike and nearly everyone who has one loves it.

For the pitting, imagine pin marks (pricks) all over mirror. The mirror is silver and the pricks are dark grey, the same color as the road, so makes it harder to see. I’ll be home later and will post a pic.

Perhaps I live in a more polluted area (scary). Maybe I should move to Atlanta, where everyone is nice. 😊

Sent from my iPhone

Joe Bernard

Aug 14, 2019, 6:58:21 PM8/14/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm so confused! I know Roberta got a mirror, but now I can't tell who all is selling one and who needs one. I have two that were intended for drop bars I no longer ride, so they're good to go for $15 shipped each. You can email at:
joeremi62 at gmail com

WETH

Aug 14, 2019, 7:57:44 PM8/14/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have two. The one I have used did for many years commuting in all weather looks pitted; irremovable spots. Hopefully attached images gives a sense.
Not sure this is what the original poster’s mirror looks like.
Erl
8FADC606-2667-4B72-A7D4-2D0CC5373A6B.jpeg

REC

Aug 14, 2019, 9:00:19 PM8/14/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Erl.

Mine looks similar but worse. You can especially see the marks in the reflection on my hand and on the white sheet. Looking directly, they are hard to see.
image1.jpeg

Tom Wyland

Aug 15, 2019, 11:26:19 AM8/15/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have two that are in similar shape. I always thought they were just silver stickers over plastic? Maybe I'm wrong.

REC (Roberta)

Aug 16, 2019, 9:35:45 AM8/16/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think you are probably right, as it doesn't feel like a glass and silver mirror.  Probably why it is so light.   Are the silver stickers replaceable?  I got a replacement mirror from a fabulous forum member, but it might go bad in a few years.

You can see the pits best in Erl's picture and what I see in the mirror when riding on my pic.

Joe Bernard

Aug 16, 2019, 2:11:54 PM8/16/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
One of mine is sold, still have one more if anybody needs it.