ISO: Missing Link wheel building book

Slin

Dec 16, 2022, 3:43:48 PM12/16/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi All,

I was just chatting with Rich Lesnik and he recommended a wheel building book/pamphlet from the Missing Link (sad hearing that shop is closing, btw).

I was wondering if anyone had a copy I could buy or know if there are scans of it somewhere.

Thanks!
Slin

Scott Luly

Dec 16, 2022, 3:58:02 PM12/16/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Oooo. I'd sure like same!

David Person

Dec 16, 2022, 6:15:59 PM12/16/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I am unfamiliar with this publication and don't mean to hijack your post, but when I took up wheel building two years ago I purchased a copy of Roger Munson's "Professional Guide to Wheel Building" and it was the best $12 I've ever spent.  The book is so well written and laid out that it gave me confidence that I could successfully build a set of wheels.  I've since built 7 pairs.  The book is not only a great resource, I found it an enjoyable read.  I've got copies of other books on wheel building, including the classic "The Bicycle Wheel" by Jobst Brandt.  None 'spoke' to me like the Munson book (yeah, pun intended).  I can't speak highly enough about it.  I've go no financial ties to Roger or his book, I'm just not sure I would have take the plunge into wheel building had I not read it.

Scott Luly

Dec 16, 2022, 7:16:45 PM12/16/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
David,

Grateful for the tip. I'll check it out.

Scott

Kim Hetzel

Dec 16, 2022, 8:03:14 PM12/16/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I found the book online for free here:

....just keep clicking on "SHOW MORE".

Kim Hetzel
Yelm, WA.

aeroperf

Dec 16, 2022, 8:41:58 PM12/16/22
to RBW Owners Bunch

Julian Westerhout

Dec 17, 2022, 7:27:10 AM12/17/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Kim,

From the terms and conditions of the pirated 5th edition you linked to:

"This book required much work and expertise but it's not expensive. If you are reading a copy that you obtained without paying then please go to www.wheelpro.uk and make a purchase and obtain the most up to date version"

The 7th edition (2 newer than the pirated version) is 9 British pounds, or at the current exchange rate, $10.93, which I suspect for most of us on this list is not a substantial burden. Should anyone find the book useful I'd suggest that they go ahead and purchase it.

Julian Westerhout
Bloomington, IL

Garth

Dec 17, 2022, 7:38:17 AM12/17/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
FWIW, if anyone wants to geek out on all things wheel building, check out the Wheel Fanatyk website for both "information" as well as wheelbuilding hardware that while geared toward the professional, anyone of interest can acquire. There's a whole lotta info there, so take your time, it has lots of rabbit holes.
Under https://wheelfanatyk.com/pages/manuals  is a pdf of the 1986 Bicycling Mag Wheelbuilding guide written by Eric Hjertberg, wheelbuilder/co-founder of Wheelsmith.

That said, I myself like audio/visual ways like the Jim Langley video mentioned above. He has an inviting and appealing way about him, that's the best I can describe it. Blueprints and methodology alone don't do much for me....... when someone animates it, brings it to life in understandable and universal language ...... well that's relatable.

After watching him last year, even I decided to play with some wheels I had built 30 years ago that needed some fine tuning, and to build my own again. I figured with the silly delivery and labor costs of custom wheels, and the inherent limited hardware choices all wheelbuilders offer, I may as well invest in a decent stand, a new dish gauge and anything else I may need. So I bought a Unior 1689 stand and the calibration gauge for it. It sure is nice having a stable, consistent platform to work on wheels !  I chose the Unior because it's perfectly stable as-is without needing to buy a base.

Kim Hetzel

Dec 17, 2022, 12:05:39 PM12/17/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the information, Julian.

Kim Hetzel
Yelm, WA.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/04b4bec7-6823-4edd-bd04-83a7004a1c77n%40googlegroups.com.

RichS

Dec 17, 2022, 12:31:11 PM12/17/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
+1 on the Jim Langley video. I have referred to that along with Jobst's book and Sheldon's web site.

Best,
Rich in ATL

Slin

Dec 17, 2022, 7:41:16 PM12/17/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yeah, I just laced up my first wheel yesterday using the Jim Langley video and Sheldon Brown's website. The video helped me with some small things like how to hold spokes and nipples to make it smoother and using a spare spoke to hold the nipples when attaching them.

I'll see how things go when I start truing the wheel. Wish me luck!

Slin

Dec 17, 2022, 7:57:42 PM12/17/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm still on the lookout for the Missing Link book though!

Slin

Dec 20, 2022, 9:08:03 PM12/20/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Btw, I ordered the newest edition of the Roger Musson's book and there are a lot of additions since the one found on github.com. Just fyi!