Tires for 2000/2001 Toyo Atlantis with 50mm SKS fenders

Paul Burns

May 30, 2019, 7:30:06 PM5/30/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
How wide do you think I can go?

Would Compass Snoqualmie Pass (700Cx44) work? And if so, are they too delicate for regular use?

Any views on Soma Shikoro 42mm? Panaracer Gravel Kings (only go up to 38mm in 700C)

Will be riding mostly on country roads, but sometimes dirt with rocks (c. 1.5-2inches) the townships use to patch the dirty roads.

I wish I had bought 65 mm fenders...and had 650B wheels!

Thank you

dougP

May 30, 2019, 8:25:25 PM5/30/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Paul:

I had 45 mm Schwalbe Marathons on my '03 Atlantis with fenders.  Don't recall the fender size but it was picked because it was the widest one that would fit the bike.

dougP

John Hawrylak

May 30, 2019, 8:40:24 PM5/30/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Paul

The Compass site shows a 700C 50/51mm Honjo fender (H47/H50) accommodates a max tire size of 38mm.

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ

William!

May 30, 2019, 11:50:57 PM5/30/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I’ve run both 42mm and 48mm Shikoros on my 61cm Toyo, with fenders. 48mm is somewhat tight but I’ve had no issues with it.

Paul Burns

May 31, 2019, 7:26:43 AM5/31/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
William

Thank you very much. Which type/size fenders do you have?

—thanks
Paul

> On May 30, 2019, at 23:50, William! <william.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I’ve run both 42mm and 48mm Shikoros on my 61cm Toyo, with fenders. 48mm is somewhat tight but I’ve had no issues with it.

Paul Burns

May 31, 2019, 7:27:47 AM5/31/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
John

Aha—hadn’t seen that, thanks.  I wonder how the Honjos vary from SKS terms of capaciousness.

—thanks
Paul

William Henderson

May 31, 2019, 9:47:25 AM5/31/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
VO Zeppelin 63mm. Tires are mounted on Velocity Cliffhangers and measured a bit less than 48 (when new anyway)

William
Sent from my iPhone

John Hawrylak

May 31, 2019, 11:42:05 AM5/31/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Paul

Do not know since I've only used SKS P45's with 700Cx32 and 27"x1-1/4".  I would assume the Homjo's are similar from the appearance.  The ratio of tire to fender (38/51) is 76% which is higher than Jan H typically recommends (can't remember off hand, but I recall 60% being ideal) but appears to be doable based on the Compass description.

The SKS have a small lip on the inside.  The main source of water "leakage" are the 2 struts on the inside of the fender.

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ

John Hawrylak

May 31, 2019, 10:08:41 PM5/31/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Paul

Here is a link to Compass recommendations of tire sizes for Honjo fenders, with a listing of fenders and tire sizes.

 It also shows the original idea of fender size being 40% greater than tire size, so a 38mm tire requires a 53.2mm fender.  a 50 mm fender is 31.5% wider than 38mm fender, & a 51mm fender is 34.2% wider

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ

John Hawrylak

May 31, 2019, 10:42:20 PM5/31/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sorry, here's the link

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ

Paul Burns

Jun 2, 2019, 6:25:40 PM6/2/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you all so much—very helpful. Appreciate the depth of wisdom and the generosity on this forum.

Bob K.

Jun 3, 2019, 9:23:15 AM6/3/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Paul,

I have no experience with these tires on the Atlantis, nor do I run them with fenders, but both 42 and 48 Shikoros are sublime on my '09 canti Sam Hillborne. The 48s juuuust fit, and I'm not convinced they've made a world of difference in terms of cushiness as compared to the 42s, but I'm going nowhere fast, so I'll take the float where I can get it.

Bob K. in Baltimore

Paul Burns

Jun 3, 2019, 11:44:59 AM6/3/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks, Bob.  I just ordered the Shikoro 42s and will update the thread if they fit under my SKS P50s.