Swappable handlebar setup

Brett Callahan

Dec 5, 2020, 5:53:34 PM12/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Link to album since groups won't let me post photos....

 I present my handlebar swappable Atlantis. I was inspired by the Alps in the last BQ. I'm not a fan of downtube shifters, so I went with quill mount, which allow the bar swap not to mess with shifting.  The Paul moon units allow me to leave the straddle cable in place while swapping the bars, and with a slotted Tektro hanger in front and a modified IRD hanger in rear make it easy to simply slide the brake cables out.  Removable faceplate will stem allows me to swap bars by removing only two bolts. Not having to revamp a cable repeatedly should avoid concerns about them wearing prematurely or weakening.

Brett in PDX

Robert Hakim

Dec 5, 2020, 8:19:37 PM12/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wonderful! A luxury not often seen with quill-stemmed bikes.
Do you find yourself wishing for any extra stem length when riding with the flat bars?

-Robert

Brett Callahan

Dec 5, 2020, 8:35:28 PM12/5/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! Stem length hasn't been an issue so far, with the pretty straight bars.  Some with with backsweep like an albatross bar would likely require a different stem.

Patrick Moore

Dec 6, 2020, 12:13:33 AM12/6/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
Test of posting photo. Works for me, either posting in body or attaching.

Nice bike!

image.png

On Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 3:53 PM Brett Callahan <brettjc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Link to album since groups won't let me post photos....

Patrick Moore

Hetchins52

Dec 6, 2020, 2:52:46 AM12/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice setup!
Tell us about the decaleur on the bars: Did you create it and machine it? Looks like each set of bars has its own decaleur.
And, what sort of bag and mounting method are you using with it?
Thanks,
David Lipsky
Berkeley, CA

Brett Callahan

Dec 6, 2020, 2:20:14 PM12/6/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks David, those are Ti Cycles decaleurs.  I mount use a Swift/Ocean Air Docena that I picked up second hand in the ibob list and Ortlieb Hardware for a pretty good quick release setup.

PXL_20201206_191850643.jpg