Widest tires on green Quickbeam?

Andrew Janjigian

Aug 4, 2009, 5:31:32 PM8/4/09
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
RBWers -

I have 35mm tires on my green QB that need replacing. I'm thinking about ditching the fenders and going AWAP. Anyone know whether 40mm will fit? It certainly looks like I have at least 5mm to spare.

Thanks
AJ

fiddlr40

Aug 4, 2009, 5:38:51 PM8/4/09
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have Schwalbe Big Apple 700x50's on mine:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20986098@N04/

Tight fit but very cushy.

Jim M

Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery

Aug 4, 2009, 5:39:18 PM8/4/09
to RBW Owners Bunch
I know 40 mm Marathon Supremes fit on the orange QBs with fenders.

Andrew Janjigian

Aug 4, 2009, 6:06:34 PM8/4/09
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Nice. Never expected that Big Apples would fit. Does anyone know if the clearances changed between the green and the orange models?

Eric Norris

Aug 4, 2009, 6:08:10 PM8/4/09
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
And as an added benefit, the fork crown acts as a thorn puller?

--Eric
campyo...@me.com
www.campyonly.com
www.wheelsnorth.org
--Eric
campyo...@me.com
www.campyonly.com
www.wheelsnorth.org

fiddlr40

Aug 4, 2009, 6:39:08 PM8/4/09
to RBW Owners Bunch
For the big goatheads around here you need something stronger than a
flimsy wire loop thorn catcher.

I also have to admit that when I get out of the saddle for a climb,
the rear tire rubs a little bit.

Jim M

On Aug 4, 3:08 pm, Eric Norris <campyonly...@me.com> wrote:
> And as an added benefit, the fork crown acts as a thorn puller?
>
> --Eric
> campyonly...@me.comwww.campyonly.comwww.wheelsnorth.org
>
> On Aug 4, 2009, at 2:38 PM, fiddlr40 wrote:
>

> > I have Schwalbe Big Apple 700x50's on mine:
> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/20986098@N04/
>
> > Tight fit but very cushy.
>
> > Jim M
>
> > On Aug 4, 2:31 pm, Andrew Janjigian <ajanjig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> RBWers -
> >> I have 35mm tires on my green QB that need replacing. I'm thinking
> >> about
> >> ditching the fenders and going AWAP. Anyone know whether 40mm will
> >> fit? It
> >> certainly looks like I have at least 5mm to spare.
>
> >> Thanks
> >> AJ
>
> --Eric
> campyonly...@me.comwww.campyonly.comwww.wheelsnorth.org- Hide quoted text -

erik jensen

Aug 4, 2009, 6:52:28 PM8/4/09
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I use a pair of wtb mutanoraptors, 44c, on mine. Love it. Wouldn't want to go any wider, but no rubbing. I make sure to bring a spoke wrench, just in case.

I think sometimes about tweaking my chainstays to get a few more millimeters, the clearance everywhere else is ample and I'd like to run a large tire like that in all conditions (mud/snow). Here's a photo that gets an angle down through the chainstays; http://tinyurl.com/quickbeam

It's great to see so many other fat tired quickbeams!

erik

erik jensen

Aug 4, 2009, 6:55:02 PM8/4/09
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I found the site of the fellow who inspired me to run WTBs, http://home.att.net/~jfgorham/quickbeam.htm

his is/used-to-be a green quickbeam, and there are more photos to be had of the clearance yonder.

Clayton Scott

Aug 4, 2009, 7:17:48 PM8/4/09
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I just switched from 35mm paselas (no tour guard) to 28mm grand bois, because I needed a replacement tire immediately and still had these hanging on the wall from my road bike. So far I am very much liking the 28mm. They seem to make the bicycle turn quicker (not in a bad way) and steering feels a little more precise. It also makes the 46cm handlebars feel too wide. I never considered running tires this narrow on it but this test is rather pleasant so far. The bicycle also seems to wind up quicker and climb faster, but I might just be fooled by the increase in vibration. Timing my commute I am about 2-3 minutes faster for the past 3 days but this is more likely due to a change in the wind or a traffic light.

Clayton, SF

PATRICK MOORE

Aug 4, 2009, 8:10:11 PM8/4/09
On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 4:39 PM, fiddlr40 <math...@gmail.com> wrote:

For the big goatheads around here you need something stronger than a
flimsy wire loop thorn catcher.

Huh, thorn catchers, wire or leather, hold up very well to NM goatheads, and we're goathead capital of the Cosmos.

IMO, the Quickbeam won't come into its own until it can handle 65 mm tires with room for fenders.

Patrick Moore, riding 65 mm tires with fenders on his Monocog 29er.

(You haven't ridden cushy and absorbent tires until your ride 65 actual BAs on 45 mm rims at 12/16 psi over concrete parking lot tire barriers and fist sized rocks. The next best thing to a Pugsley and without the huge Q factor -- my Monocog's is 150 mm with room to shrink  a full cm. Nunna those pissant 50 mm tire, at rock hard, what, 20 to -- gasp! -- 30 psi pressures, for me!)

Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM
Professional Resumes. Contact resumesp...@gmail.com

Gino Zahnd

Aug 4, 2009, 8:11:36 PM8/4/09
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Exactly. No tire wipers needed if you run tires that fat.

SpeedyChix

Aug 5, 2009, 2:13:37 PM8/5/09
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've run 43 Ritchey Z Max and IRC mythos.

fiddlr40

Aug 5, 2009, 3:54:02 PM8/5/09
to RBW Owners Bunch
That bullmoose handlebar looks good. Is that a Bombadil bar? You
should post pictures of that bike on the Flickr Quickbeam group.

jim m

On Aug 4, 3:52 pm, erik jensen <bicyclen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I use a pair of wtb mutanoraptors, 44c, on mine. Love it. Wouldn't want to
> go any wider, but no
> rubbing. I make sure to bring a spoke wrench, just in case.
> I think sometimes about tweaking my
> chainstays to get a few more millimeters, the clearance everywhere else is
> ample and I'd like to run a large tire like that in all conditions
> (mud/snow). Here's a photo that gets an angle down through the chainstays;http://tinyurl.com/quickbeam
>
> It's great to see so many other fat tired quickbeams!
>
> erik
>
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Eric Norris <campyonly...@me.com> wrote:
>
> > And as an added benefit, the fork crown acts as a thorn puller?
>
> > --Eric
> > campyonly...@me.com
> >www.campyonly.com
> >www.wheelsnorth.org
>
> > On Aug 4, 2009, at 2:38 PM, fiddlr40 wrote:
>
> > > I have Schwalbe Big Apple 700x50's on mine:
> > >http://www.flickr.com/photos/20986098@N04/
>
> > > Tight fit but very cushy.
>
> > > Jim M

> > --Eric
> > campyonly...@me.com
> >www.campyonly.com
> >www.wheelsnorth.org

erik jensen

Aug 6, 2009, 10:54:44 PM8/6/09
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! I pulled some bicycle-centric photos from recent rides and posted them to the quickbeam forum per request.

With about a half dozen specifically offroad rides and no fewer than 37 jogs around town, I will say that this is one of my favorite handlebars I've used -- for singlespeeding, the best. They're strong. I can really muscle the bike up hills without any excessive flex -- not really a problem on roads, but on trails or with good sized front loads it's great! Definitely a worthy upgrade.

Cheers,

erik

Grant Petersen

Aug 6, 2009, 11:53:35 PM8/6/09
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
You can measure the chainstay width, inside-2-inside, at the point where the tire passes, then figure howevermany millimeters you're comfortable with for clearance (four is a fine minimum-and the Japanese standard, Times 2 that's 8.). Then do the negative arithmetic, and blammo--there's your max tire.
(I know those who ride less than four. if the tire is big and cushy, the wheel whill probably stay true forever. Why would it not?)

Will M

Nov 28, 2022, 2:26:11 PM11/28/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi all.  Revisiting an oldish thread.  What's the biggest tire you Quickbeamers are running with SKS P45 longboard feders?  I have an orange 62cm Quickbeam and wanted to try 700x38mm tires with my P45s.  It's pretty clear that the Quickbeam can take 'em.  It's less clear if the P45 longboards can.  (Websites such as REI, etc., say max tire width = 37mm, yet RBW says 38mm).  Thoughts?  Thanks in advance.

Will M
-NYC

Eric Daume

Nov 28, 2022, 2:29:33 PM11/28/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
In my experience (not on a QB) 45mm fenders over 37 or 38mm tires might work, but it’s very fiddly. A minor bump or misadjustment and something will rub.

A good rule of thumb is max tire = fender -10mm, so 35mm tires for 45mm fenders.

Eric

Will Millhiser

Nov 28, 2022, 2:57:55 PM11/28/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
My experience too, Eric; thanks.

Perhaps the question I should be asking: what's the widest fender that Quickbeamers reliably run without too much heroics in home-surgery fender modifications?  --Will

John G

Nov 29, 2022, 8:17:07 AM11/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow, what an old thread. :)   So old one of the links points to my long dead QB page on att.net.  My QB photos are on Flickr now (https://www.flickr.com/photos/14612032@N00/albums/72157711338025308/page1), and I'm not even sure my old green one (RIP) is in that album, but I did run 44 Mutanoraptors without any issues.  I use mostly 38s now after a series of recurrent flats on 32s.

I have run the 38s with old planet bike fenders, but the setup with a three speed drivetrain was awkward.  I'm thinking maybe SKS speedrocker detachable fenders, which I'm using with good effect with 38s on my Specialized Diverge.
Cheers,
John Gorham
Union Bridge, MD

Patch T

Nov 29, 2022, 9:22:31 AM11/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
On my 56cm Silver QB I currently have VO Smooth 45mm fenders installed and am riding 38mm Gravelking slicks.

Set-up was real easy, with no crimping, surgery, magic/sorcery, or exceptional skill required. Was not my first fender install, nor am I a pro-mechanic. I rode a whole winter + subsequent year with no problems so far. (Before, I had an orange 54cm QB and used SKS P55s - those I had to bend, and came off forever when I switched sizes in 2020)

So the clearance with my set-up works, but it is what you would expect from such a tight tire-to-guard gap. I feel fine about it because this iteration of my QB does not see much off-road or mud. I use PDW safety tabs for potential stick pick-ups, and also because it makes rear wheel removal easier (although the photo attached was taken before the front set of tabs went on early winter 2021).

If I recall correctly, plastic fenders tend to move around more while riding than aluminum, and create occasional rub when using limit-pushing tire widths. Worth considering.

(An anecdote: Paul Minimotos clear the fenders just fine, and play with that front Nitto 32F rack nicely. There's a Touring Canti on the rear because another bike has the matching Minimoto on its fork.)

Patch, who'll be using mudflaps in NYC this winter.

image3 (2).jpeg

Ryan

Nov 29, 2022, 10:33:23 AM11/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice! I do like those silver QBs with the blue decals...and the fender set-up looks perfect

Minh

Nov 29, 2022, 10:43:53 AM11/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
IIRC when i used the P45, i think i was at around 35-37mm on the tires and it was tight, fiddly.   i've seen someone with one using the flat wood fenders (fancy i know) and that was a little bit easier due to the profile of the fenders.

lconley

Nov 29, 2022, 10:58:31 AM11/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
My understanding is that the PDW tabs are to be used on the front wheel if only using on one wheel for safety reasons. If the rear wheel locks up, it does not throw you over the handle bars like locking up the front wheel does.

Laing

Bill Lindsay

Nov 29, 2022, 11:51:35 AM11/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Laing indicated that their understanding " is that the PDW tabs are to be used on the front wheel if only using on one wheel for safety reasons".

The majority of people who buy those tabs separately use them on the front.  Note that all Portland Design Works full metal fender offerings include those tabs on Front and Rear.  You are correct that there may be less of a safety risk on the rear, but there is still nothing wrong with using them in both front and rear.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Drew Saunders

Nov 29, 2022, 12:38:13 PM11/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here's a photo of a standard highlighter just barely fitting between my Riv 33.3mm tires and SKS P45's on my Orange Quickbeam:
IMG_5683.jpeg

You could probably squeeze 38mm tires, especially if they're closer to 37mm, but not much bigger. The 33.3's leave plenty of space for crud to not get caught.

The funny wood thing is how I mount a light to the front bolt of my rack (Mark's rack, I think?) I need to get a longer spacer so I can fit a more modern light, as my little light just doesn't have enough battery life any more, and larger lights expect more space for the mount.

I also have the PDW tabs front and rear. Front for safety, rear so I can get the wheel out with the rearward facing dropouts. If I pop the rear fender out of the tabs, the wheel comes out easily.

Drew

Philip Williamson

Nov 30, 2022, 2:34:13 AM11/30/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for reviving this thread! I started at the beginning, and when I saw Clayton’s post, I looked at the date. “Ahhhh… that makes sense.”

You revised your question to ask about max fender widths.
I run 52mm aluminum Velocity Orange Zeppelins over 38mm RH tires on my 2004 green Quickbeam. The fenders are crimped a bit to pass between the chain stays, but not at the seat stays or under the fork. I like the longer coverage for the chain in front, and I like to be able to wheel the bike around vertically on the rear tire. Setting the rear fender up normally shouldn’t need any crimping.

I just changed my 37mm tires to these 38s, and had to flip a mounting bolt for more clearance under the bridge: https://www.instagram.com/p/ClkhqIjr9oU/?igshid=MWI4MTIyMDE=
The new tires freshen up the bike, and I should probably straighten or replace the decade-old stays and add PDW releases:  https://www.instagram.com/p/ClKbS02PGoN/?igshid=MWI4MTIyMDE=

I would not put a bigger tire under metal fenders on this bike. Without fenders, my biggest tire was a 45mm Smoke  with the side knobs cut off. The hassle there isn’t worth the reward to me, and a (~43?) Bruce Gordon Rock’n’Road is as big as I’d go in the future.

Philip
Sonoma County, Calif

Dave Grossman

Nov 30, 2022, 10:36:17 AM11/30/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have 42 Soma Grand Vitesse on currently.  I tried Big Apples once but couldn't get them to fit.  I wonder if clearance is much difference between colors at all?  I have a pair of Snoqualmies from my recently sold Homer that I will try once the weather gets nicer.  In the winter I run 35 Marathon supremes and fenders and its worked great.  I have Belgiums so I suppose I am maxing out width as well with those.

Corwin Zechar

Dec 25, 2022, 10:29:46 PM12/25/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have run 38mm Schwalbe Marathon Supreme Duremes under SKS longboards on my green Quickbeam. I think they were P45s. Given that the widest tire I am aware of fitting on a Quickbeam (also green) was 44mm, this seems correct.

Regards,

Corwin

Thomas McCause

Jan 4, 2023, 11:49:32 AM1/4/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I am currently running the 700*42 Continental Speed Contacts on my 1st gen green Quickbeam.
They have more than enough clearance, IF I am able to run the rear wheel at least a half in back in the dropout.
IMG_20221102_164123364.jpgIMG_20221102_163700588_HDR_4.jpg