Roaduno

Richard Rose

Jan 7, 2024, 11:32:33 AMJan 7
to RBW Owners Bunch
Speaking of Roaduno, I read in one of the earlier updates that the new bike is very similar to a Homer geometrically. I also saw some reference to it being offered as a complete. I cannot wait to learn of all the details.

Ron Mc

Jan 7, 2024, 12:25:40 PMJan 7
to RBW Owners Bunch
I may be first in line for this one as my First Rivendell.
I can ride forever with 75", 65" and 45" gears.

iamkeith

Jan 8, 2024, 12:10:07 AMJan 8
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Sunday, January 7, 2024 at 9:32:33 AM UTC-7 rmro...@gmail.com wrote:
Speaking of Roaduno, I read in one of the earlier updates that the new bike is very similar to a Homer geometrically.

It's hard to keep up with changes, and I think we just need to wait until the end to know for sure what it'll be.  After that "just like a Homer" update, it seemed to get really long chainstays - much longer than the Homer.   Buy now they do say they're going to get shorter again.

Doug H.

Jan 8, 2024, 8:51:25 AMJan 8
to RBW Owners Bunch
I too saw that they are planning to shorten the chainstays on the production Roaduno. At what point are the stays too long and how does too long affect ride quality?
Doug

Richard Rose

Jan 8, 2024, 9:06:52 AMJan 8
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Well, the indication was a small adjustment but still long. I am guessing they will be shortened less than the length of the dropout slot. As a Clem & Gus owner the long stays are the main attraction of this particular single speed. That and it being fully lugged. I cannot answer the question of when are they too long but I think Riv figured out the sweet spot on their current models. Your results may vary.:)
Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 8, 2024, at 8:51 AM, Doug H. <dhansf...@gmail.com> wrote:

I too saw that they are planning to shorten the chainstays on the production Roaduno. At what point are the stays too long and how does too long affect ride quality?

Edwin W

Jan 8, 2024, 2:47:35 PMJan 8
to RBW Owners Bunch
I heard from Riv HQ that they will come as frames ($1750 like other lugged frames) and completes (price and build list not released yet).

Looking forward to seeing the colors and build list!

Edwin

Bill Lindsay

Jan 8, 2024, 3:40:15 PMJan 8
to RBW Owners Bunch
For those of you planning, plotting, conspiring to do a build of your own, one thing that is not crystal clear is that you'll need is a pair of long reach caliper brakes.  I've got two sets that I would like to sell.  One is the very modest Tektro 365.  It's got the identical forgings and geometry of the "nicer" models but has a modest finish, solid brake blocks and a primitive adjusting barrel.  The ones I'm selling have some corrosion visible as well, so they are budget, ugly-duckling brakes.  The other is the nicer 556, which has a nicer barrel adjuster and came with nice metal pad holders.  These were on friend-Doug's A. Homer Hilsen and at some point he replaced one set of brake pads, so the holders are black on one brake, grey on the other, and the brake inserts themselves are red on one brake and black on the other.  I'm asking $35 shipped for the 365s and $55 shipped for the 556s.

Photos:

556

365
Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

CMR

Jan 8, 2024, 6:55:29 PMJan 8
to RBW Owners Bunch

Anyone test ride and can tell whether they will be a long top tube model (e.g., Atlantis, Clem), or a shorter top tube model (Hillborne, Homer)? The front-center looks super long in the photos which makes me think a long top-tube, upright bars only build - which I'd prefer!

velomann

Jan 8, 2024, 9:51:21 PMJan 8
to RBW Owners Bunch
When the initial info about the Roaduno was coming out, I was pretty stoked about it. I was anticipating a true, clean, Rivendell lugged single speed with 120 rear spacing and the ability to take wide-ish 700c tires courtesy of cantilever mounts.

The addition of the derailleur hanger was the first sign this was being designed for a different audience, and would be (in regard to my personal interest) an odd duck. losing the canti mounts bums me out - the phrase ""long-reach sidepull" is a real buzzkill for me - and now there's the whole thing with the single left-side downtube boss. And I love DT shifters, but I don't want one on my singlespeed.

I guess the bike I really was wanting is closer to the Crust single speed Lightning Bolt.
But since learning the latest details, I'm maybe moderating my position some. The Roaduno is most decidedly not what I was originally hoping for. But it might still be a really fun bike for me. The idea of a single rear and triple front is goofy, but maybe a cool way to set this up and push back against my inner purist ;-)
Currently on the Roaduno fence, I guess.

Mike M

Bill Lindsay

Jan 8, 2024, 10:00:38 PMJan 8
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Crust Single Speed Lightning Bolt is also less than half the price of a Roaduno.  Get one of each!

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

P W

Jan 8, 2024, 10:01:42 PMJan 8
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
If the colour choices are compelling, it may well be my first ever brand new bike.

Although I’m also kinda hoping someone else gets one in my size and has buyers remorse a few months later!

Which strangely seems to happen around here quite frequently.

It sounds like a pretty great and practical bike for a decent swath of Los Angeles riding.

And I have a ton of stuff already in the bins to throw at it…

On Jan 8, 2024, at 6:51 PM, velomann <velo...@gmail.com> wrote:

When the initial info about the Roaduno was coming out, I was pretty stoked about it. I was anticipating a true, clean, Rivendell lugged single speed with 120 rear spacing and the ability to take wide-ish 700c tires courtesy of cantilever mounts.

Eric Daume

Jan 9, 2024, 5:11:26 AMJan 9
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I can live with the hanger and shifter boss, they offer some intriguing build ideas. But the long reach brakes killed this frame for me. Based on my previous experiences with them, they are barely adequate in the dry, and unacceptable in the wet. Maybe it doesn’t rain in Walnut Creek?

I’m looking at (another) BMC Monstercross to scratch this build itch instead.

Eric
Not a long reach fan, even in flat
Plain City OH

Ryan

Jan 9, 2024, 7:36:24 AMJan 9
to RBW Owners Bunch
What about vo grand cru brakes?

Eric Daume

Jan 9, 2024, 8:46:17 AMJan 9
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The Grand Crus are mid reach brakes, the Roaduno will take long reach brakes.

iamkeith

Jan 9, 2024, 10:37:28 AMJan 9
to RBW Owners Bunch
I assume everybody is aware but, just in case, Paul Components did decide to resume production of the long-reach Racer brake.  (They had officially discontinued it just a couple of years ago).   It's almost $400 for a pair, but at least it comes in purple.  ;-)

Ryan

Jan 9, 2024, 2:05:56 PMJan 9
to RBW Owners Bunch
https://velo-orange.com/products/grand-cru-long-reach-brakes?variant=51591467783

Black may not be your cup of tea mind you. Silver is out of stock.

Or are these not long enough reach? Maybe this issue came up before

Thomas Lawn

Jan 9, 2024, 2:08:40 PMJan 9
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, RBW Owners Bunch
47-57 is still mid-reach, regardless of what the description says.

reynoldslugs

Jan 9, 2024, 2:16:26 PMJan 9
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Paul Long Reach racers stop very, very well.  I have the braze-on version, on a Tony Pereira.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/41563482@N06/13677929833/in/album-72157643546486474/

If they work on a Roaduno, I'd vote for them.

Max Beach
Santa Rosa CA

Ryan

Jan 9, 2024, 2:31:00 PMJan 9
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ok I see what you mean.
.Paul's brakes go 57 - 72mm for long reach...sorry about that

velomann

Jan 9, 2024, 10:07:00 PMJan 9
to RBW Owners Bunch
"The Paul Long Reach racers stop very, very well.  I have the braze-on version, on a Tony Pereira. "

Yes, the braze-on version is a good brake - I had them on my Rambler and was mostly satisfied with their stopping power. I was not happy that the absolute widest tire that would clear the thin-line pads (with washers reversed to get more clearance) was a 38. I ran 42's but had to deflate the tire if I wanted to remove the wheel.
 There's a reason these brakes were originally designed for special post mounts, which the Roaduno will NOT have. You would have to use the single fork/brake-bridge mount version of the Paul centerpulls, resulting in more flex in the brake arms and lower performance (for the same high price) than the post mount Racers.
All of which could have been avoided with cantilever/V-brake bosses on the Roaduno, which would have allowed the option of several high-performing and much more affordable brakes.
I live in Portland and as others have said, long-reach center-pulls in wet weather braking generally suck.

Mike M

iamkeith

Jan 10, 2024, 12:04:14 AMJan 10
to RBW Owners Bunch
That's interesting.  The website definitely says that the racer was originally designed to work with dedicated posts, but Paul has previously acknowledged that it was created per a request from Grant, with the rirst useage being the Saluki.  That bike never came with direct- mount center-pull braze-ons, unless maybe in prototype form.  This is from a 2016 newsletter:

The Racer Brake
Making the Classics Even Classier

We’re a bike component company for people with tricks up their sleeves.

You’ve got plans for those old frames lying around...you just don’t know what they are yet.

Back in March we had an upcycle idea for your old mountain bike, and now we’ve another suggestion for converting that old steel classic or 27-inch wheel bike to a 700c: It’s called the Racer Brake

Or what’s known as a long-reach brake with a reach of 57 to 70mm.

Back in the day, Grant Peterson of Rivendell fame called Paul requesting a centerpull brake like the Mafac Racer. Which sounded crazy But when Paul pulled down some old frames and got to thinking, he could see it’d be great for conversion.

What's so special about a Mafac replica? The arms are much stiffer than your typical dual pivot brake, which means more power is transferred for stopping.

Below is our video how-to on the conversion, and it’s housed on our BRAND NEW VIDEO PAGE, where all of our videos can be found.

Note that the Racer is available in recessed and non-recessed mounting in black, silver, and high polish. (Sorry folks, no green).

Using the PAUL Racer Brake

Product page, plus video.

Watch on YouTube

iamkeith

Jan 10, 2024, 12:14:08 AMJan 10
to RBW Owners Bunch
If you watch that video from the youtube link at the end, he explains why the Racer is stiffer than more-common long-reach brakes.

Josh (BertoBerg)

Jan 10, 2024, 9:58:07 AMJan 10
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have the Racers on my Homer. Love the modulation and power. They are paired with TRP RRL levers. As someone mentioned above the biggest tire you can fit in there without deflating is 38mm. Oh well.

Josh
Seattle, WA

Richard Rose

Jan 14, 2024, 3:27:58 PMJan 14
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Dang. I thought / hoped it would cost a bit less than those other frames. Certainly cost less to manufacture than a Platypus? More than a Clem but…
If offered as a complete the build kit should be less than either the Clem or Platy. On second thought the Platy kit is just $525.00 so..?
I know, just have to wait.
Sent from my iPhone