FS: Frank Jones 51cm

Joe Bernard

Jun 12, 2020, 1:18:31 AM6/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bought it, built it, it's great, my Riv Custom landed and it's all I ride. Your turn to ride this one!

51cm c-to-t
54.4 toptube
Reach is more like a normal 53/54cm road bike

Used parts:
Technomic 11cm stem
MAP Ahearne bar
Avid something-or-other levers
Nitto lugged post
Brooks B17 Special honey
Silver/Tektro R559 brakes
Phil hubs
Mavic Open Pro rims
Compass Barlow Pass 700 x 38 tires

New:
cables (cut long for Boscos, leaving for different bar experiments)
White Industries Dos 16-19 freewheel
KMC 8-speed chain
BB
Sugino cranks with 36t ring and Silver guard

Here's the hiccup: the cranks are my preferred shorty 152mm and I don't have a long one to replace them. If you don't want the cranks I pull 'em and drop $200 off the price.

$2200 plus shipping, shipping should be less that $100, CONUS

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DKpD2WVre5TN7Wwf7

Joe Bernard

Jun 12, 2020, 2:15:22 AM6/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's in Novato, CA.
joeremi62 gmail com

Doug Hansford

Jun 12, 2020, 8:56:22 AM6/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow. The lug work and paint is so nice on this bike. And, the build is top notch. Someone should grab this one!
Doug Hansford

Andrew Huston

Jun 12, 2020, 9:26:37 AM6/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
If this was one size bigger....

Benz, Sunnyvale, CA

Jun 12, 2020, 10:27:25 AM6/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Friday, June 12, 2020 at 6:26:37 AM UTC-7, Andrew Huston wrote:
If this was one size bigger....

Then we will have a bidding war! :)

Joe Bernard

Jun 12, 2020, 1:40:43 PM6/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Remember to focus on the toptube length, kids, to estimate sizing. Grant did these long relative to the seattube length.

Also note: Saddle height in pics is artificially tall for my short cranks, stem is at full extension to accommodate my arthritic hands. I should probably drop both to give a better representation of how the bike would set up for most potential buyers, but then I'm adding adjustment squigglies to those parts. Nobody wants that!

lconley

Jun 12, 2020, 5:01:55 PM6/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Friday, June 12, 2020 at 1:40:43 PM UTC-4, Joe Bernard wrote:
Remember to focus on the toptube length, kids, to estimate sizing. Grant did these long relative to the seattube length.

Which is why the Frank Jones Sr. is one of my favorite and best fitting bikes. I also like the thinner tubing that still allows the Nitto 27.2 lugged setback seat post - perfect for those with long torsos like me that want drop bars. I need to sell some bikes, but the Frank Jones Sr. is one of my keepers.

The Frank Jones Sr. also has a fillet brazed bottom bracket to go with the fancy head lugs. These are some of the rarest recent lugged Rivendells and don't come up for sale very often.

Laing
Delray Beach FL

Joe Bernard

Jun 12, 2020, 6:01:15 PM6/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Indeed, Laing, the fillet BB matches my custom and the headtube lugs are actually *fancier*. The FJS is a stunning frame.

Joe Bernard

Jun 12, 2020, 10:32:49 PM6/12/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Someone asked about a rolling chassis deal and he gets first refusal.

F/F/HS/BB/wheels/DOS/tires, let's call it $1600 shipped.

Ryan M.

Jun 16, 2020, 7:44:54 PM6/16/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe, I sent an email to you about this bike. i'm interested in it if it fits me. Thanks.

Joe Bernard

Jun 16, 2020, 8:08:36 PM6/16/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Replied. You'll want to hollaback pretty quick, there's another potential buyer out there but he's having a heckuva time deciding if he wants this or another bike he's looking at.

Joe Bernard

Jun 18, 2020, 2:20:53 PM6/18/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
SOLD