Fenders for bikes with big tires

Johnny Burrell

Oct 3, 2021, 2:45:34 PM10/3/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hello,
Winter is coming <dramatic pause & queue GoT intro music>

And so fenders are needed. I have a Hunqapillar with some big 2.1" tires. My fender requirements are that they must fit, be pretty and not too short. I like long fenders because long fenders + mud-flaps keep the muck off.

Here's where I'm at...
  • Planet Bike fenders are too short, I think. These must be for Californians
  • PDW Full Metal Fenders are great, i have them on a different bike, but unsure if the 55mm will fit my 2.1's
  • The SKS B65 may fit the bill, it's what Riv recommends, but they look really short (here is the riv link with pic) and... plastic
  • Velo Orange seems to have some nice fenders in 63mm here they are
These are going to last a really long time so price isn't really a deciding factor. I also want them to look good, because I'm vain. After typing all of this it appears I'm leaning toward the VO fenders, how do folks here feel about them? How's their longevity?

thank you,
Johnny B in Portland

Jay Lonner

Oct 3, 2021, 3:47:10 PM10/3/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I’ll be curious to know where you wind up, both in terms of fender selection and tire clearance. My Hunq has 2” Big Bens that are nearing end of life and I’m thinking of replacing them with some 2.1” RH tires when the time comes (probably the Antelope Pass, since my riding is 98% paved, but the Fleecer Ridge just looks so much more Hunq-y). I currently have 50mm SKS fenders that are cracked and chipped and are in need of replacement now that the rains have returned. I’ve never used fenders other than SKS and I don’t know that I have the patience to fiddle with an involved installation such as I understand Honjos require. Last I looked, Riv suggests the P65 for all their fat tires (including 26” and 650b) which makes me concerned that the radius isn’t optimized for 700c. I’ll have a look at VO though.

Jay Lonner
Bellingham, WA

Sent from my Atari 400

On Oct 3, 2021, at 11:45 AM, Johnny Burrell <johnny....@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

Berkeleyan

Oct 3, 2021, 4:28:02 PM10/3/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have VO fluted 52mm Zeppelin fenders on my 700x44 Compass tires (Snoqualmie Pass) mounted to Velocity Dyan rims. The tires measure 41mm when inflated to around 35psi (so delightful to ride). I like the fenders and the fitment. I'm using a RBW front fork, and the 52mm fenders had to be squished just a bit to fit, no way the 63mm would have fit there without Dremel tool cutting. What annoyed me was the front tire & fender would contact & chirp when I made quick tight turns, or stood on the pedals uphill. I've stopped the chirping by both spreading the fender just a bit wider and securely tightening the bolts that attach the stays.

I think if you go for a wider tire, you'll definitely want the 63mmm fenders. And know that the aluminum fenders will take careful fitting and adjusting, but will look beautiful.

- Andrew, Berkeley

Philip Williamson

Oct 4, 2021, 12:30:23 AM10/4/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have some VO noir 63mm fenders for my non-Riv custom, to cover Fleecer ridge tire.
Unfortunately, the fenders are still in their (quite nice) packaging, hanging on the wall of my shed.

The fenders look great, and in the future I will figure out how to mount them with V-brakes. For my particular bike, that looks non-trivial, since the brake cross-wire would pass directly through the fender. My hypothesis is that I can just run the wire OVER the fender with a bit of helicopter tape to protect the fender. Wires go around corners all the time.
I haven't tested my hypothesis yet, but if you've got V brakes, you might want to visualize where the fender will intersect.

Philip
Sonoma County, Calif

spencer robinson

Oct 4, 2021, 10:00:37 AM10/4/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Let me know how you make out with getting those fenders to play along with the V brakes…I have never had much luck

Corwin

Oct 4, 2021, 7:19:23 PM10/4/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Johnny -

I have a Hubbuhubbuh with Schwalbe Hurricane Ridge Tires. Mounted on Velocity Cliffhanger rims, they measure approximately 61mm from sidewall-to-sidewall. This does not include the outside knobs. I have SKS Blumels fenders. Blumels are advertised to take tires up to 65mm. I recommend them highly. You might need to do a little carving with a file or dremel to get them to fit inside your frame. But the coverage is wonderful.

Be sure to get the "long" version. The ones that are not "long" take protect people behind you, but not your drivetrain. I got mine from Rivendell. I expect these fenders to last many, many years.

Namaste,

Corwin

iamkeith

Oct 5, 2021, 1:22:52 AM10/5/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
The B65s are great.  I had them on my Clem with 2.4 tires and was able to get the curve to follow the tire more perfectly than with any other fender ever.  They ARE short but that's perfect for me too.  Especially with such a long bike, I'm in the habit of standing it up vertically on it's rear wheel in order to walk/maneuver it through tight spaces or to do a 180 turn.  If the fender was longer, it would interfere and I'd cut it shorter anyway.  I'll look for a photo so you can see the extent of coverage to expect.

lconley

Oct 5, 2021, 7:39:04 AM10/5/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have two sets of Honjo H-95 (65.5mm wide and flat). Simworks sells even wider versions in flat (79mm) and curved (72.5). Plenty long. I use the wide Honjo fender flaps with them.
I just bought some PDW fender safety tabs from Rivendell to use with them on my Rivendell Keven's Cargo bike - 27.5x2.25 Kenda Kwik Seven.5 Sports. The other set is on my Bombadil - 650B x 57 Schwalbe G-One Allrounds.

Laing
Delray Beach FL

Steven Sweedler

Oct 5, 2021, 7:47:03 AM10/5/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I get more positive comments about my flat wood fenders than anything else on my bikes. I haven’t ridden in any downpours lately but have not been disappointed in their coverage. From Woodysfenders.com
Steve

Steven Sweedler
Plymouth, New Hampshire

ascpgh

Oct 5, 2021, 8:23:07 AM10/5/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have a set of Velo Orange Zeppelin fenders (fully fluted) on my rack bait commuter that I've been riding year round for seven years. I don't think you'll go wrong with the set you linked.

My V.O.s have weathered the seasonal precipitation and clanking in and out of industrial bike racks enough to earn the title of being durable. The front is long enough that I didn't have to add a ridiculous mudflap for good foot and drivetrain slop protection. The rear I installed with the front end below the BB for good protection for the drivetrain. No one follows me at my hours and I don't ride groups on that bike so I don't have a rear flap.  I do have a fender mounted wired tail light. I ran its wire from the left chain stay wrapped around the fender stay to use up excess, going under the fender almost where the light's mounted. Maybe shonkey for a show bike but I wan't in the cut, solder, shrink seal business at the moment. No damage, grounding events in seven years.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

Edwin W

Oct 6, 2021, 3:54:06 PM10/6/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have been very happy with the Berthoud 700x60mm stainless steel fenders on my Appaloosa with 50mm tires.

Edwin

iamkeith

Oct 6, 2021, 6:49:08 PM10/6/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here' a picture of the B65s on my Clem with 2.3 tires, so you can see the coverage length.
20211006_164633.jpg

Nick Payne

Oct 6, 2021, 7:54:56 PM10/6/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Tuesday, 5 October 2021 at 1:00:37 am UTC+11 spencer robinson wrote:
Let me know how you make out with getting those fenders to play along with the V brakes…I have never had much luck

I have Velo-Orange mudguards on my Appaloosa over 55mm tyres (Schwalbe Almotion rear, Antelope Hill front). I used Deore XT V-brake on the front, but not on the rear because the rack support arms got in the way. The V-brake just clears the fender:
PXL_20201213_024100183[1].jpg
PXL_20201030_014818902[1].jpg

Nick

Jason Fuller

Oct 6, 2021, 9:30:10 PM10/6/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I definitely would go Simworks Honjo 'Flat 65' , or VO Fluted 63mm.  Both would clear your tires nicely and meet all your specs.  The VO's come pre-drilled which speeds up installation, while the Simworks require drilling, which gives you the freedom to set your alignment how you like (ie, I like to keep the front fender up off the ground a bit more and use a flap to extend, so that it doesn't catch roots and high curbs).

In either case, get a pair of PDW Safety Tabs for use on the front stays instead of the factory hardware. This is a must IMO, given that I've experienced the 'stick in the fender' toss over the handlebars which could have easily been life alteringly bad.  They fit both the Simworks and VO stays, but not all brands.

brizbarn

Oct 9, 2021, 2:55:01 PM10/9/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey Nick, great looking bike.  It looks like you are maxed out on width for the front fender, or is there a little more room to spare?  Are your fenders the Velo Orange Fluted 63mm?  I like the VOs for the price, but am wondering if the Honjo Flat 65 would fit in the Appaloosa fork, being 2mm wider than the VOs. My 2021 Appaloosa with Terravail Sparwood tires measures about 54mm wide on 700c Cliffhanger rims.

WETH

Oct 10, 2021, 2:32:31 PM10/10/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Johnny,
I went with Woody Fenders for my Hunq to cover my 650b x 2.4 tires.  Photo attached.
All the best,
Erl

On Sunday, October 3, 2021 at 2:45:34 PM UTC-4 johnny....@gmail.com wrote:
DSCF5612 (1).jpg

WETH

Oct 10, 2021, 2:33:42 PM10/10/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Link for Woody's: https://www.woodysfenders.com/

Nick Payne

Oct 10, 2021, 3:54:09 PM10/10/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Sunday, 10 October 2021 at 5:55:01 am UTC+11 brizbarn wrote:
Hey Nick, great looking bike.  It looks like you are maxed out on width for the front fender, or is there a little more room to spare?  Are your fenders the Velo Orange Fluted 63mm?  I like the VOs for the price, but am wondering if the Honjo Flat 65 would fit in the Appaloosa fork, being 2mm wider than the VOs. My 2021 Appaloosa with Terravail Sparwood tires measures about 54mm wide on 700c Cliffhanger rims.

No, if the fender was any wider, it would have to be indented each side where it passes between the fork blades. It actually just touches the inside of the fork blades where it passes them - I put a small circle of clear protective plastic each side to prevent the paint being worn off by the fender rubbing against the blades.

Nick

Andrew Letton

Oct 10, 2021, 8:10:07 PM10/10/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
+1 on the 700x60 Berthouds. I've had them on my Bombadil with 2.1 tires for about a decade now.
cheers,
Andrew in Sydney

Nick Payne

Oct 11, 2021, 3:21:01 AM10/11/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
p.s. Yes, they are the Velo-Orange 63mm fluted fenders...