Sharing your winter ride photos northern hemisphere Spring 2023

Ted Durant

Mar 21, 2023, 6:03:05 PM3/21/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ok, it's spring astronomically, but in Wisconsin not so much so meteorologically. So, first sort of spring ride for me today, 45 miles or so up the lake and back the river. Chilly northeast wind off the lake, mostly a tailwind coming home at least. Looking forward to warmer temps and seeing some signs of green some day.

Ted Durant
Milwaukee WI USA
IMG_1102.jpeg

Eric Marth

Mar 22, 2023, 10:19:40 AM3/22/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice, Ted, thanks for kicking off our Spring thread!

Ted Durant

Mar 27, 2023, 6:44:05 PM3/27/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well, either people are being quiet, or they are busy, or maybe they are like me, still getting snow. We had 10" (40cm) Saturday. It hasn't warmed up much but it's been sunny, so the roads are clear and mostly dry. The wind was off the lake, so it was a pretty brisk ride today. On the Blues Trail, for music fans. It's not actually a trail, though. Just a nice spot on the road, next to a scenic little waterfall.

Ted Durant
Milwaukee (well, Grafton in the photo here) Wisconsin USA
IMG_1123.jpeg

John Rinker

Mar 27, 2023, 6:51:12 PM3/27/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yowza Ted, that Breadwinner is a beaut! Great color scheme.

Cheers, John

Ted Durant

Mar 27, 2023, 6:58:24 PM3/27/23
to RBW List
Thanks! Green grass, blue skies, white clouds… another couple of months and we’ll have that here in Wisconsin!

Ted Durant
Milwaukee, WI USA

Luke Hendrickson

Mar 28, 2023, 1:28:38 AM3/28/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
528C7FF7-9C01-403F-AA0E-637EB139EE21.jpegNew ride! Just ripped all over Marin with it today.

Takashi

Mar 28, 2023, 9:51:57 AM3/28/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you for starting the thread Ted. Seems like you are going to have some more winter days.

It was raining heavily last weekend and I'm visiting my parents coming weekend, so no chance to go for a long-ish ride.
I managed to go for a brief ride this evening after work.
We are having extraordinarily warm days, and cherry trees are in full bloom now, about 2 weeks earlier than last year.
Here are a few pictures of a magnificent weeping cherry tree, about 5-minute ride away from my room.

spring1.jpg

spring2.jpg

spring3.jpg

Takashi

Ted Durant

Mar 28, 2023, 9:54:30 AM3/28/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Luke - FUN looking Wolverine!
Takashi - wow, it's going to be hard to top that for Spring photos!

Ted Durant
Milwaukee Wisconsin USA

Luke Hendrickson

Mar 28, 2023, 3:32:32 PM3/28/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks much, Ted! The 50mm tires make a difference even though nothing is as plush as my Atlantis with 57mm G-Ones.

Takashi – I concur with Ted. Lovely, idyllic snaps there. Can’t wait to see more from your part of the world.

Patrick Moore

Mar 28, 2023, 4:12:02 PM3/28/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hah. Our late winter weather has resulted in an uptick in cold rain, temps ~10*F lower than average, and mud. I had fun riding the 1999 Joe Starck 26" wheel fixed gear Road Custom gofast with 26X1.8" Naches Passes (but measuring only about 39 mm on 19 mm OW Sun M14A rims) on ditchbank roads, but all I got was splatter and grit, which I had to clean off today.

Attached photo ante luto. (Before Mud.)

Patrick Moore

# 2 AT CONSERVANCY ROAD PEDESTRIAN GATE 031223.JPG

John Rinker

Mar 28, 2023, 6:34:43 PM3/28/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bluebird day here in BC! Still lots of snow in the mountains, but it's disappearing fast in the sun along the Kootenay River. Almost time to start swimming.
IMG_0626.jpeg
Cheers, John

Keith P.

Mar 29, 2023, 8:09:42 PM3/29/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
A quick between-rain-storm ride with the boys. This is unfortunately, about as "winter" as we get out here.

IMG_9935.jpg
IMG_9922.jpg

And one of the donut-getter fulfilling the measure of its creation:

IMG_9941.jpg

Keith
Los Angeles, CA

Eric Marth

Apr 2, 2023, 7:40:58 PM4/2/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I took a ride over the river and sat and read in the sunshine for a bit today. Beautiful and perfect here in Virginia today.

Untitled.png

Steven Sweedler

Apr 2, 2023, 8:25:52 PM4/2/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Eric,  Beautiful  Redbuds, they will bloom in New Hampshire in another month. Steve

--
Steven Sweedler
Plymouth, New Hampshire

J Schwartz

Apr 3, 2023, 10:11:30 PM4/3/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
first shakedown ride after completely rebuilding my SH
It's a first gen (2009) old green/gold one that I had painted last year
Still dialing a few things in and needs some adjustments but did about 25 miles this afternoon in really good early spring light.
Not too much blooming yet except the skunk cabbage.
IMG_0319.jpg

Jason Fuller

Apr 4, 2023, 1:58:20 AM4/4/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I was on the Brompton this afternoon rather than a Rivendell, but I happened across a street with impressive cherry / plum blossom trees and had to share.  For good measure, I'm including a photo from 24 hours before, on a 120km ride on the Hillborne - still got some latent winter weather showing up without welcome!
PXL_20230402_205338416 (1).jpg
PXL_20230404_022349221.jpg

Takashi

Apr 4, 2023, 9:52:44 AM4/4/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Eric, it must have been a very pleasant time reading in that beautiful place.

Here in Nagano, it's this brief time in a year when you can enjoy cherry blossoms and peach blossoms at the same time.
Some photos from today's 1-hour ride after work:

DSC02974.jpg

DSC02979.jpg

DSC02981.jpg

DSC02989.jpg

Takashi

DavidP

Apr 7, 2023, 1:28:00 PM4/7/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Takashi, thanks for sharing the blossoms!

Today I got the newly fendered Platypus out for short lunch time ride. Not much budding yet here.

GR001_004686_trails-1800.jpg

-Dave (near Boston)

Eric Marth

Apr 7, 2023, 7:41:36 PM4/7/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Takashi's spring pictures are certainly something to look forward to!

Takashi

Apr 8, 2023, 9:59:33 AM4/8/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Dave and Eric, thank you, I'm glad that you liked the photos.

We had heavy rainfall yesterday, and cherry blossoms have mostly fallen. I can still enjoy peach blossoms.
DSC02992.jpg

I think I posted a similar photo last year, but anyway...
DSC03002.jpg

Takashi

Ted Durant

Apr 11, 2023, 11:30:14 AM4/11/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I realize now that I left the word "winter" in the subject line when I created this thread. Maybe a Freudian slip given our early Spring weather!

Anyway, I'm on Cape Cod for a week, riding my trusty and rusty old Fuji America. It's just starting to look and feel like spring here.
IMG_1173.jpeg

Ted Durant

JohnS

Apr 11, 2023, 1:29:55 PM4/11/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ted, nice picture of your bike and the lighthouse. Which one is that? I'll be on the upper Cape in the beginning of July. Always enjoy the riding there.

JohnS

Ted Durant

Apr 11, 2023, 3:03:15 PM4/11/23
to RBW List
On Apr 11, 2023, at 1:29 PM, JohnS <shar...@gmail.com> wrote:

Ted, nice picture of your bike and the lighthouse. Which one is that?

Thanks John! That’s Nauset light, between Eastham and Welfleet.

Ted Durant
Message has been deleted

Eric Marth

Apr 12, 2023, 4:05:06 PM4/12/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I rode some of the city watershed trails yesterday afternoon.

Ride 230412 06 S.jpg

Ride 230412 11 S.jpg

Ride 230412 14 S.jpg

Gary L

Apr 12, 2023, 7:00:19 PM4/12/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think winter is officially gone here. The flowers think so anyway. Super cool bridge near Asheville.FF24FD7E-02EA-4BB0-9084-71230D564C4E.jpeg

Stephen

Apr 13, 2023, 10:08:43 AM4/13/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
ram.jpgspring ride.jpg
Spending some nice spring days in NC, one of my favorite rides nearby my hometown is to and around around kings mountain battleground. Every time I ride the ram I think it might just be my favorite bike ever.

Takashi

Apr 14, 2023, 9:50:27 AM4/14/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ted, I like the color of your Fuji. Beautiful.

Eric, your photos make me feel that I just HAVE to go ride coming weekend.

Takashi

Eric Marth

Apr 14, 2023, 8:18:44 PM4/14/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks, Takashi!

Here's a grainy cell phone pic from this evening between rains and a pending storm.

Ride 230414 S.jpg

Ted Durant

Apr 15, 2023, 9:59:39 AM4/15/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Friday, April 14, 2023 at 9:50:27 AM UTC-4 Takashi wrote:
Ted, I like the color of your Fuji. Beautiful.
Thanks! I really like it and have been talking to a builder/painter about doing a resto-mod on it. Unfortunately it's been crashed and, while it's straight, there are cracks around some of the joints. So, I may end up having him build me a custom that replicates the paint scheme. :-)

Eric, your photos make me feel that I just HAVE to go ride coming weekend.

Agreed! Eric's photos are fabulous.

Last day of "Cape Cod Bike Camp" for me yesterday, did 75km around what my step-sister calls "the Alps of Truro and Wellfleet" to make 270km total for the week. Lots of scenery like this.
IMG_1183.jpeg

Ted Durant

Takashi

Apr 17, 2023, 9:45:47 AM4/17/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I just noticed that Gary's Hunqa and Stephen's Ram are equipped with Albastache bars.
I recently bought Albastache and put it on my Hunqa, and rode it on Sunday. Seems that it works well so far.

DSC03009.jpg

DSC03016.jpg

DSC03021.jpg

It was a windy day and trees made rustling sounds. Hearing them, a portion of a short story "The Spring Tune" by Tove Jansson (from the book "Tales from Moominvalley") came into my mind:
“It’s the right evening for a tune,” Snufkin thought. A new tune, one part expectation, two parts spring sadness, and for the rest just the great delight of walking alone and liking it.

Takashi

Fred Marsh

Apr 17, 2023, 11:50:56 AM4/17/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's been a pretty mild winter in Chicagoland. Our biggest hurdle now is traffic and safety.
IMG_1970.JPG

Miles T

Apr 17, 2023, 11:54:45 AM4/17/23
to RBW Owners Bunch

We’ve had some back and forth weather here in NYC the past few weeks… to the point where my friend and I were both joking about sticking our hands out the window each day to figure out what we’re going to wear. Lots of wind too… Luckily, I got out for a fun ride on a chilly but clear day w/ my newly completed Platypus:

64372CAE-887C-41AB-A28B-501C0EBACBD2.jpeg
Can’t wait to see more spring and summer ride posts to come. Enjoy the ride everyone!
Miles

DavidP

Apr 19, 2023, 10:31:03 AM4/19/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Congrats on the new Platy, Miles!

I got the Platypus out on a beautiful Spring morning - cool and clear with buds and blossoms.

PXL_20230419_105643344-1080.jpg

PXL_20230419_110959842-1080.jpg

PXL_20230419_110815070-1080.jpg

Keep riding (and taking photos)!

-Dave (near Boston)

JohnS

Apr 19, 2023, 9:13:45 PM4/19/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Great pics everyone, very much enjoying them.

Here's a few from last Sunday when I rode along the D&L trail from Slatington north to the observation deck, just south of Jim Thorpe.
View from the deck.
D&L_20230410_deck_X.jpg

Quickbeam in the sun.
D&L_20230410_QB_X.jpg

Along the canal, just north of Walnutport.
D&L_20230410_trees_X.jpg

JohnS

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Apr 19, 2023, 9:22:19 PM4/19/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
IMG_1700.jpegIMG_1713.jpegIMG_1706.jpegOk, that’s it, I’m moving to Japan where I will find Takashi and beg him to take me to all these trees. I don’t have any photos that could match his for beauty, but what I have, I give you…

Eric Marth

Apr 20, 2023, 11:52:54 AM4/20/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Untitled.png
Had a nice ride around Richmond this weekend, multi-surface loop. Ran into the Crust crew at a cafe and joined Matt and Cheech for some snacks.

Ted Durant

Apr 22, 2023, 3:01:44 PM4/22/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Great bridge shot, Eric, and beautiful flowers, Leah.

Just a reminder that this is the "_winter_ ride photos northern hemisphere Spring 2023". So, mid-30's (about 2 degrees for the rest of the world) in Windsconsin today, and the rain and sleet that was supposed to arrive in the afternoon showed up mid-ride for me. My riding goal for this year is "Ride lots. Enjoy all of it." I'll enjoy some rides more than others.

IMG_1207.jpeg

Ted Durant
Milwaukee, WI USA

Piaw Na

Apr 23, 2023, 4:46:07 PM4/23/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here are mine from today: https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/2TVn70XjQf-wVrMjT2uP5g.d7awc2uVNciNWtE3U_QWxV

Yesterday I took the family on a hike/drive trip down the backside of Mt. Hamilton, and it looks like Highway 130/San Antonio Valley Road/Mines road is now at peak flowering: https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/y3rJ4iLJQ_OPyEReEb6XFw.FJMcAkwgHzLkL5siCX6LjJ

Ryan Bolesta

Apr 23, 2023, 5:40:54 PM4/23/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
325E75D8-5001-4BF8-9271-4557A8990C76.jpeg
Picture of my Sam from a fun,  challenging, and very muddy ride I did last week outside of Boulder, Colorado!

mm

Apr 23, 2023, 8:05:22 PM4/23/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Clem L at the car show.

52838689985_4a265f7dc3_k.jpg

Stephanie A.

Apr 24, 2023, 8:53:57 AM4/24/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
All of those colors are breathtaking, Takashi!

greenteadrinkers

Apr 24, 2023, 10:05:31 AM4/24/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
A handful of images from this past Saturday.

IMG_0111.jpegIMG_0114.jpegIMG_0107.jpegIMG_0119.jpeg

Takashi

Apr 24, 2023, 11:00:32 AM4/24/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah and Stephanie, thank you.
Leah, those flowers are lovely, AND you have that beautiful raspberry Platypus!

Dave, wonderful morning ride photos. I'm lazy so I usually wake up late on weekends, but your photos make me thing that I should get up earlier and go ride.

Ryan, that's a great view of white mountains.

I rode around Kakizore Ravine on Sunday. Here are some pictures:

Green leaves are popping out, and it almost felt like early summer.
DSC03030.jpg

Wild cherries usually bloom later than cherries in town. I think they are slightly different species.
DSC03040.jpg

DSC03047.jpg

Kakizore River is a beautiful river with blue-green water.
DSC03056.jpg

I ate lunch on the bank and went back home. Flowers on opposite side of the river are azaleas. They're everywhere around here.
DSC03059.jpg

Takashi

Cyclofiend Jim

Apr 24, 2023, 11:54:35 AM4/24/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
The rains seem to have finally moved on, and some steady sunny days have already baked out parts of the trails. Wild Iris popping up trailside. Quickbeam in the background.

Feels good to be riding.

Jim / cyclofiend
QB on trail.jpg

Bikie#4646

Apr 26, 2023, 12:07:22 AM4/26/23
to RBW Owners Bunch

My brother-in-law has been visiting his elderly father for three weeks and needed to stretch his legs. We did a 42-miles mixed surface country ride rambling around on our Homers through upper Cumberland county, Va. on a bright, cool, beautiful day. Life is good on a bike!
Paul Germain
Midlothian, Virginia, where all the place names have English or Native American origins.

larson....@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2023, 2:42:18 PM4/26/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Spring is slow to arrive in southwestern Wisconsin this year, and miles have been earned. Cold winds and snow squalls alternating with sun seem to be the norm, even more so than usual. The woods is starting to green and the bloodroot blooming, so warmer days are coming!
Randy
"Spring hopes eternal"
Appaloosa 042523RBF.jpg

WETH

Apr 27, 2023, 8:44:48 AM4/27/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
In celebration of National Parks week here in the United States, I rode my Hunq along the C&O Canal on Monday.
IMG_2875.jpg
IMG_2879.jpg

Bikie#4646

Apr 27, 2023, 10:26:26 PM4/27/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Erl, that Hunq looks like it means business! Very nice. Beautiful photos too.
I've watched you try a number of Rivendells over time, but this one looks like a keeper.

Paul Germain
Midlothian, Va.

John Rinker

Apr 28, 2023, 12:21:07 AM4/28/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Very groovy looking Hunq, Weth! How big are those tires? Bikie's right. They mean business!

Cheers, John

Paul Lamontagne

Apr 29, 2023, 1:41:14 AM4/29/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Gorgeous day for a Platypus ride among ponds and farmland here in west central Indiana. Spotted some migrating birds swimming in a protected pond but couldn’t get close enough for a positive id. Looked like some form of goose. Couple of weeks ago we had pelicans come through. They were an impressive sight.

Paul Lamontagne

Bryce Lackey

Apr 29, 2023, 1:41:50 AM4/29/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Really starting to get excited for spring. Here's a snap from a recent shakedown ride on my Sam, in preparation for a tour on the CO canal.
9F2C92F1-D473-422D-9F72-8804A8DB8969.heic

Steve

Apr 29, 2023, 10:30:07 PM4/29/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bryce, nice touring set up. How'd tha Sam do with that load?

Tony Lockhart

Apr 30, 2023, 10:31:27 AM4/30/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
IMG_0158.jpeg

Great ride today (South Pas, San Marino, Rosemead, Pasadena, bagel stop for my kids, back home). Here’s a quick snapshot from the CalTech campus on a cool, gray day in LA.

Dan Bluestein

May 1, 2023, 12:19:27 AM5/1/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
IMG_0472.jpg
I don't think I've seen anybody in this group post a gold Homer yet so I'll stop lurking and share mine, with a few wildflowers blooming behind it. Shot yesterday, riding home from Walnut Creek accompanying my neighbor who picked up a new Clem. The California poppies are popping up like crazy around here, sorry I don't have a good photo of them to share.

Dan

WETH

May 1, 2023, 10:02:12 AM5/1/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks John and Paul.  It is a keeper!  The tire size is 27.5 x 2.35 and makes for a great ride.
All the best,
Erl

Steve

May 1, 2023, 5:27:35 PM5/1/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Time for something from the southeast:
Rambled around on fire roads in Bent Creek in the Pisgah National Forest, capped off with a short but sweet descent on the Blue Ridge Parkway. My first longer ride of the season -  whoopie!   (Excuse the non-Riv pics, but I do have a space reserved  in the garage for one when the time is right)

BentCreekMay1#2.jpeg

BentCreekMay1.jpeg

DavidP

May 3, 2023, 9:59:01 AM5/3/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Enjoying a May morning on the Platypus

PXL_20230503_112434405_red-wing-1800.jpg

PXL_20230503_115350227_green-trail-1800.jpg

-Dave

Ryan

May 3, 2023, 11:14:45 AM5/3/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Love that gold Homer...and the gold Sam

Not so green in Winnipeg right now but will start to green up in the next week or so

Ted Durant

May 7, 2023, 12:07:32 PM5/7/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ok, it finally feels like spring here in SE Wisconsin. Sometimes you don't need to ride far for the photo. This is my front yard :-)
IMG_1233.jpeg

Eric Marth

May 11, 2023, 5:31:18 PM5/11/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hello friends — Here's one from my lunchtime trail ride today.

Ride 230511 01S.jpg

JW

May 11, 2023, 8:21:51 PM5/11/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice, Eric. Glad to see you getting use out of that build!

Here's one from my lunchtime trail ride today.

IMG_6847.jpg

DavidP

May 11, 2023, 10:43:12 PM5/11/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Great looking Platy, JW!

Here's one from a recent road ride (not on a Riv - Soma Pescadero). The blossoms are just about finishing up here.

PXL_20230506_122201569_blossom-ln-1800.jpg

-Dave

Stephen

May 12, 2023, 9:51:46 AM5/12/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
IMG-5770.jpg

Took a nice little ride out to Shirley Chisholm Park and then to Rockaways here in ny this week.

Patrick Moore

May 12, 2023, 7:23:43 PM5/12/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
So ... so green!

Thanks to generous snowfall this past winter the RG is now in flood and encroaching on low-lying bike trails adjacent to the banks. The cottonwoods are now almost fully-fledged, but it ain't green like these other photos.

Photos taken in haste on way to church last Sunday morning along Paseo del Norte Rio Grande bridge.

Patrick Moore, in high desert ABQ, where "green" is a relative term.

Patrick Moore

RG IN FLOOD SUN 050723.JPG
RG OVERFLOW SUN 050723.JPG

J Schwartz

May 13, 2023, 8:19:36 AM5/13/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
a nice but somewhat brutalizing 25 miler of steep climbing on gravel on our first real hot day yesterday in Clarence Fahnestock park, New York
IMG_0564.jpg

RichS

May 13, 2023, 11:00:06 AM5/13/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
It appears winter has left upsate NY. Nice looking machines and a gorgeous area to ride. I'm envious.

Best,
Rich in ATL

Miles T

May 17, 2023, 1:20:56 PM5/17/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Must have just missed you Stephen. I love Shirley Chisholm state park! Had the platy out there last week as well.

F8B731A3-6A77-4516-A22B-6974502BF671.jpeg

larson....@gmail.com

May 17, 2023, 4:00:58 PM5/17/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
A couple of images from a recent mixed terrain ride in the Driftless area.
Randy in WIAppaloosa Old Shed Dell 050923WEB.jpgAppaloosa KVR Maple 050923WEB.jpg

Drew Fitchette

May 24, 2023, 10:18:15 AM5/24/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Picture of my Atlantis on a ride out on the Beltline here in Atlanta.
- Drew

IMG_6986.jpeg

Ted Durant

May 28, 2023, 1:27:16 PM5/28/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Memorial Day is traditionally the start of summer here in Wisconsin, so today is the "last day of spring." Warm sunshine and a cold breeze off the lake, where the water is barely 50F. The trees are finally leafing out and hope springs eternal, including some optimists who plan to make wine here. The original Heron prototype basking in the sunshine, halfway around a 63km loop.

IMG_1276.jpeg

Ted Durant
Milwaukee, WI USA

J G

May 28, 2023, 2:27:59 PM5/28/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Beautiful day for a ride Ted.

Just got back from a 45 mile loop myself and thought you might recognize this one.

Top of the high bridge in St. Paul, MN via the Ohio street hill from river bottoms below.

IMG_1096.jpg

Ted Durant

May 28, 2023, 3:07:13 PM5/28/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Sunday, May 28, 2023 at 1:27:59 PM UTC-5 cjus...@gmail.com wrote:
Just got back from a 45 mile loop myself and thought you might recognize this one.

 Now that's a handsome bike :-)

For those who don't know ... that Waterford-built Riv ATB used to be mine. My first Riv, in fact.

R Shannon

May 28, 2023, 3:35:27 PM5/28/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That's a pair of handsome bikes alright! Loaded or light — take your pick. Nice history too.

Ted, what is the gearing on the front of your Heron?

Best,
Rich in ATL

Ted Durant

May 28, 2023, 3:38:50 PM5/28/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Sunday, May 28, 2023 at 2:35:27 PM UTC-5 RichS wrote:
Ted, what is the gearing on the front of your Heron?

48/34 Velo-Orange Drillium
Great road bike setup. The drop from the 48 to the 34 is on the verge of being too big, but it's nice to have the 34t small ring.

R Shannon

May 28, 2023, 3:46:00 PM5/28/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ted. The VO drillium looks perfect with the Heron frame.

Regards,
- Rich

DavidP

May 29, 2023, 9:16:20 PM5/29/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Golden hour trails on the Platypus.

PXL_20230529_232610460_fern-trail-1350.jpg

PXL_20230529_233100432_trailside-sun-1080.jpg

-Dave (near Boston, where it's starting to look a lot like summer)

Steve

May 29, 2023, 10:01:25 PM5/29/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
David - Sweet looking Platy, I dig your build -  It wears those fenders well.

 I've been daydreaming about my next bike and am gravitating toward a Platy, or possibly a Suzy/Wolbis.  If you don't mind a few questions;
- I'm guessing VO Fluted 63mm fenders?
- How wide are those Gravel Kings,  and are they 650b or 700c?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Thanks!!!

DavidP

May 29, 2023, 11:28:35 PM5/29/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Steve - Thanks, yes VO Fluted 63mm fenders and 700x50 Gravel Kings. There's a detailed post about the fender setup in this thread: https://groups.google.com/g/rbw-owners-bunch/c/TZyZuR9pWhc/m/i0wRKPqXBQAJ

I've really enjoyed this setup - it's a fantastic all-rounder and does great on easy trails while being zippy on pavement. For something more trail oriented or if you wanted fenders and larger (or knobbier) tires then a Suzy (or the lugged replacement) or a Clem would be a better fit.

John Rinker

May 31, 2023, 2:29:38 PM5/31/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Atlantis, ready to set sail during high water in the Slocan Valley.
IMG_1068.jpeg
Cheers, John

mm

Jun 4, 2023, 10:56:46 AM6/4/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Clem on the beach!
52949196664_cc73282617_k.jpg

Josh (BertoBerg)

Jun 7, 2023, 8:08:37 PM6/7/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
It was 65 and overcast in the Seattle area yesterday. A lovely Spring day for a ride! I took my Waterford-made Homer out for a 70 mile loop with friends.

Homer.jpg

Josh Youngberg
Bainbridge Island, WA
USA