Carrying Water on bikes w/ minimal bottle cage mounts

RDS

Jun 18, 2019, 7:58:22 AM6/18/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
How do you carry multiple bottles or larger bottles (32 oz) on bikes w/ minimal cage mounts?  Clem L as an example.

Patrick Moore

Jun 18, 2019, 8:24:31 AM6/18/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
A saddlebag is one solution.

Patrick Moore

On Jun 18, 2019, at 5:58 AM, RDS <satt...@gmail.com> wrote:

How do you carry multiple bottles or larger bottles (32 oz) on bikes w/ minimal cage mounts?  Clem L as an example.

ascpgh

Jun 18, 2019, 9:04:22 AM6/18/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
+1 on the saddlebag method.

Another option is to scan eBay/CL (or dumpsters) for and early '90s neon  "Tri" bike on which you will find one of these:
Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 9.02.08 AM.png

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

On Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 8:24:31 AM UTC-4, Patrick Moore wrote:
A saddlebag is one solution.

Patrick Moore

On Jun 18, 2019, at 5:58 AM, RDS <satt...@gmail.com> wrote:

How do you carry multiple bottles or larger bottles (32 oz) on bikes w/ minimal cage mounts?  Clem L as an example.

Deacon Patrick

Jun 18, 2019, 9:09:27 AM6/18/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
King Cage makes a great add on braze on: Universal Support Bolt (USB). See it here, scroll down and on the left. http://kingcage.com/index.php?products=yes

I use them on beorn to made 2-braze on 3 to hold a Many Things Cage, which will hold up to a 64oz bottle.

With abandon,
Patrick

Joe Bernard

Jun 18, 2019, 10:23:30 AM6/18/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Roadrunner Bags and Randi Jo Fabrications make bar bags that hold bottles. Here's the Roadrunner, and there's a thread around here from Leah (Bicycle Belle Ding Ding) showing her new Randi Jo.

https://roadrunnerbags.us/products/co-pilot-bar-bag

Doug Williams

Ginz

Jun 18, 2019, 11:04:29 AM6/18/19
to RBW Owners Bunch

How about a dromedary bag stored in your saddle bag and used to refill your bottle?  At least it is light weight, conforms to the bag and will not leak.

stevef

Jun 18, 2019, 11:15:04 AM6/18/19
to RBW Owners Bunch

Deacon Patrick

Jun 18, 2019, 11:27:51 AM6/18/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Other things to consider about how you carry water:

- If in a saddlebag, pannier, etc, am I just using available space, or am I displacing something?
- Weight distribution. Water is the heaviest thing I haul by volume. I like it snug and central.
- When I carried water in panniers last year, I debated if I needed it because it's outboard effect was greater. Now, when in doubt, I fill up and am set.

With abandon,
Patrick, up to 7 liters, good for two days in summer heat if needed.

Patrick Moore

Jun 18, 2019, 1:12:53 PM6/18/19
to rbw-owners-bunch
Those rear-of-saddle cage attachment things are still available through your usual retain channels.

Someone makes an oversized cage to hold a quart bottle, IIRC.

But the saddlebag option is one I often used before I got seat tube cage bosses installed on my 1999 Joe Starck custom.

image.png

Still 'round the corner there may wait
A new road or a secret gate,
And though we pass them by today,
Tomorrow we may come this way
And take the hidden paths that run
Towards the Moon or to the Sun.
                                --- J.R.R. Tolkien
Resumes, LinkedIn profiles, bios, and letters that get interviews
By-the-hour resume and LinkedIn coaching
Other professional writing services
Expensive! But good.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nuevo Mexico, Etats Unis d'Amerique

Drw

Jun 18, 2019, 6:09:18 PM6/18/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Tumbleweed and pass and stow now have racks that have mounts for traditional or very large bottle cages.

Andrew Letton

Jun 18, 2019, 7:35:29 PM6/18/19
to RBW Owners Bunch, satt...@gmail.com
TwoFish makes an assortment of add-on cages:

I have one of the largest, for a 64oz Kleen Kanteen, on my Bombadil camping bike, and it works well. Depending on how rough the terrain you're riding, an auxiliary strap may be advised.

cheers,
Andrew in Oz

Adam Leibow

Jun 18, 2019, 7:40:13 PM6/18/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
roadrunner bags large point n shooter stem bag fits my 64oz klean kanteen perfectly. https://roadrunnerbags.us/collections/bags-for-your-bike/products/point-n-shooter-l

Steven Sweedler

Jun 18, 2019, 8:07:36 PM6/18/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Here is a picture of my Thorn using one of the Minoura cages holding a 1.5 liter bottle, it uses a regular bottle cage mount, very effective way to carry a lot of water. Steve

Steven Sweedler
Plymouth, New Hampshire

phil k

Jun 19, 2019, 9:42:00 AM6/19/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I second this Deacon's suggestions. You can maybe fit an extra cage or two at the top using these. Also might be able to fit another one on the downtube as well.

Mackenzy Albright

Jun 21, 2019, 7:12:59 PM6/21/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
A frame bag (like an oveja negra half frame bag) and a 2L hydration pack works extremely well.

Luke B

Jun 24, 2019, 11:25:45 AM6/24/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
i use a revelate feed bag for an extra bottle or these work great too...https://www.amazon.com/SKS-Germany-11231-Anywhere-Bicycle-Attachment/dp/B0144NTZOU

Patrick Moore

Jun 24, 2019, 6:00:09 PM6/24/19
to rbw-owners-bunch
On this topic: I have a Minoura (I think it's Minoura) clamp-on cage holder that will fit tubes from 28 mm to 31.8 mm, and can alter the orientation of the threaded arm 90* to suite the tube you've attached it to. Anyone who will use it can have it for free; I'll pay postage if you'll be patient; if you're impatient, you may send me postage from 87120.

Note: The clamp is missing its plastic shim, but you can easily provide your own.

image.png

Andrew Letton

Jun 24, 2019, 8:07:00 PM6/24/19
to rbw-owners-bunch
PM'd!
cheers,
Andrew

Bill Lindsay

Jun 25, 2019, 1:14:51 PM6/25/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I just picked up one of these:

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Garth

Jun 26, 2019, 4:04:09 AM6/26/19
to RBW Owners Bunch

This lists many ways, some included here some not !   Personally I'd choose any on frame method to using bags, for 1. the volume factor and 2. stability (depending on volume and it's distribution).   Any way you look at it there is always a way !

I've never used a hydration pack so I cannot speak to them, and they seem popular for those in whom such are chosen.