Philadelphia Bike Expo March 16 - 17

Roberta

Feb 26, 2024, 5:22:03 PMFeb 26
to RBW Owners Bunch

Lots of things to do--the expo, rides, parties, coffee and meet ups.

I'm going.  Who else?  I'm within walking distance to the expo (but will be riding my Betty Foy there, because, well..., I should ride).  If anyone needs any local assistance, please reach out via DM.

There is free bike valet parking by Neighborhood Bike works, and donations accepted.  It's a great way to fund the community bike center.

I hope to meet or see again lots of us happy Riv riders.

Roberta

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Feb 26, 2024, 5:39:13 PMFeb 26
to RBW Owners Bunch
I’ll be there! I will be staying with a RivSister in a hotel close to the Convention Center. Not sure which Platypus I’m bringing, but I’ll definitely have one because I plan to do some of the featured rides during the weekend. Let’s all connect!

Roberta

Feb 26, 2024, 8:56:02 PMFeb 26
to RBW Owners Bunch

I received this from Tom, who said it was ok to post for him. I look forward to meet you, Tom.

   i and friend patty will be there saturday mid morning thru sunday afternoon staying  near expo

She ll have her new purple platy and i will have one of my rivs  so looking fwd to it  and we d be up for dinner satdy anywhere

Can t reply to all from my phone  so just letting you know

Tom horton  salisbury md

Julian Westerhout

Feb 26, 2024, 9:12:27 PMFeb 26
to RBW Owners Bunch
I plan on being there on Saturday opening through mid-afternoon -- but with my Brompton, not one of my Rivs...   :)

Julian Westerhout
Bloomington, IL

Dave S

Feb 26, 2024, 10:16:28 PMFeb 26
to RBW Owners Bunch
My wife and I will be there.  Unsure if we’re coming Riv-equipped, but we usually leave Riv equipped!?

Dave

ascpgh

Feb 27, 2024, 7:02:06 AMFeb 27
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's such a great event, I'm sad work got in the way and I cannot attend his year.

Be sure to talk to all the vendors you have patronized in the past or quietly objectify. It's a fine collection of people who are about bicycles that trade shows of the past weren't. The accessibility and warmth of so many of these folks, even big names, will surprise you.

Take and post lots of pictures!

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

Tom Goodmann

Feb 27, 2024, 11:06:00 AMFeb 27
to RBW Owners Bunch
This will be my first time at PBE (I missed all of the years of NAHBS). Regrettably coming from Miami without a bike, but hoping to rent one for at least one of the rides, and also volunteering for a shift at the show.  Happy to meet up with Rivfolk! (Do we need a secret sign???)

Tom (who is looking for a bike-friendly, fly-fishing-friendly new home somewhere out there)

John Dewey

Feb 27, 2024, 12:00:07 PMFeb 27
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
All you folk’s nearby lucky. Just a little too far for us. When I was working in GA for Tifosi, those shows were always such great times. Def not work.

Jock

Roberta

Feb 27, 2024, 3:22:22 PMFeb 27
to RBW Owners Bunch
Tom, I’m looking forward to meeting you

You can rent a Indego bike share bike for about $12 a day. You’ll see spots for them all all over the city probably every other block or so. if you want to go a little bit more upscale contact Shelly at Fairmont Bikes.  https://www.fairmountbicycles.com/rentals/  A step. up from the city Bikes.  Fairmont Bikes is located about 2 miles from the convention center on a separated bike lane street.

Roberta

Pam Bikes

Feb 29, 2024, 8:06:40 PMFeb 29
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'll be there w/my Betty Foy.  I'll be leading a ride from the Convention Ctr to the Keystonebike party Sat at 7 pm, leading a Sun morning ride to the Expo and presenting Sun at 12.  Please come see me and ride w/me.

Roberta

Mar 1, 2024, 6:37:13 AMMar 1
to RBW Owners Bunch
I just noticed that if you get Indego bike share for 50% off here’s the information

Need to rent a bike? Our friends Indego are offering a 50% discount on a Guest Pass, available March 16-17! Use code PHILLYBIKE24 when you purchase your pass online at rideindego.com and enjoy the convenience of bike share.Check out the city’s latest bike map and GoPhillyGo to plan your route.

Bill Schaefer

Mar 1, 2024, 2:42:49 PMMar 1
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm planning to ride my Atlantis down, but a few things are up in the air. Hope to make it, I've never been before!

Benjamin Wildflower

Mar 2, 2024, 1:58:21 PMMar 2
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I’ll see you all there! I’ve got to work Saturday but I’ll make it out to the Expo on Sunday and Keystone’s partay Saturday night. My three-year-old has developed a distinct preference for the Surly Cross Check over the Atlantis and Clem but whatever the case we’ll roll up on two wheels.

Bryce Lackey

Mar 3, 2024, 8:30:46 AMMar 3
to RBW Owners Bunch
For anyone extra tall coming in from out of town, I have a 62cm Sam listed as a frameset w crank and seat post on CL here in Philly. If you want to make a deal, I am open to offers and have all the fixings for a complete build. I'll be around doing some of the local rides as well as the Keystone afterparty.

Tim Burke

Mar 4, 2024, 11:43:23 AMMar 4
to RBW Owners Bunch
I live in Philly but I'll be there with my Sam on Saturday. Would love to get a Riv ride together - maybe to the after party at Keystone?

Also, I'm on the organizers of Coffee Outside Philly and we'll be meeting at our usual time around 9am at Lemon Hill Gazebo. We'll hang out and talk bikes until 11 or so and then there's a 10ish mile mixed terrain ride to the Expo through some of our local trails. Come hang out if you're up for it.

Also Bryce if I could I'd buy your Sam too. Mines the same size but with canti's and I love it so much

Roberta

Mar 5, 2024, 2:19:33 PMMar 5
to RBW Owners Bunch
Tim--
The Coffee Outside Philly will be on Saturday or the normal Sunday (lots of nice people there).
Roberta

Tim Burke

Mar 5, 2024, 4:59:40 PMMar 5
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Doh! Good catch, Roberta! Coffee outside is sunday here's the link to the PBE event info https://phillybikeexpo.com/coffee-outside-pbe-edition/

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/ae1a00e4-a7a2-4a59-9ba7-4eaec83c7430n%40googlegroups.com.

Tandy Numlock

Mar 8, 2024, 11:21:27 AMMar 8
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's nice that Boathouse Row will be re-lit before the show starts.

Steven Seelig

Mar 9, 2024, 12:18:30 PMMar 9
to RBW Owners Bunch
I know a guy who would love that . . . not me.  Do you have pics or a link to the CL ad?

Bryce Lackey

Mar 9, 2024, 10:05:41 PMMar 9
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/fa298b3a-a3c5-4e33-91fc-1c2ac4c98c3en%40googlegroups.com.

Bryce Lackey

Mar 9, 2024, 10:11:09 PMMar 9
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
There’s more where that came from, I can send them more easily via text. This is more or less its current configurationIMG_0031

Roberta

Mar 15, 2024, 9:44:15 AMMar 15
to RBW Owners Bunch
How about an informal meet at the Riv booth right after the show opens?

I'll be sporting a black Green Guru backpack (made with inner tubes) with a Riv triangle.  I have white hair.

I hope to see old friends and meet new ones!

Roberta

Eric Marth

Mar 18, 2024, 9:50:05 AMMar 18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I had a nice visit at PBE. It was great to meet Pam, Leah, Roberta and Tim from here on the board!

Thanks to Tim for the Saturday night convoy to Keystone, riding bikes in the woods with a train of dynamos is really something.

Here's one with the fellas from Riv and Paul R.

240313 PBE 06.jpg

Eric Marth

Mar 18, 2024, 9:50:54 AMMar 18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oh and Bill too! Bill, I saw you heading to the expo on Sunday morning while I was having a coffee at Habitat, didn't want to shout at you though. Nice Atlantis!

Leah Peterson

Mar 18, 2024, 9:58:55 AMMar 18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
It was such a great time. I’ll post later but here is Eric and Pam, meeting for the first time after Eric’s famous Fixing Pam’s Shifters video:
image0.jpeg
Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 18, 2024, at 9:51 AM, Eric Marth <eric...@gmail.com> wrote:

Oh and Bill too! Bill, I saw you heading to the expo on Sunday morning while I was having a coffee at Habitat, didn't want to shout at you though. Nice Atlantis!

Bill Schaefer

Mar 18, 2024, 10:01:02 AMMar 18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Had a great time. Nice to meet you Eric, Leah, and Pam. Looking forward to next year!

Tom Goodmann

Mar 18, 2024, 10:01:48 AMMar 18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Echoing Eric: so good to see Roman, James, and Will--and three beautiful bikes (all of which sold, I believe)--as well as meeting Roberta, Leah, Pam, Tom, Patty, Paul, Rick (riding a Rom with 38s!) and others at PBE. Multiple Atlantises and Platys amid the throngs. A very nice event in every respect; lots of group rides, including Saturday night to Keystone Bicycle Company for beer and pretzels, our group led by Pam. And seeing the work of advocates, of component makers, and the bikes of fine builders.  Very good crowds, too, on both days. I'm glad I went.  Thanks, Rivfolk!

Tom

Leah Peterson

Mar 18, 2024, 8:09:06 PMMar 18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
In parts, because Google Groups is acting ridiculous again…

We had a lot of fun - and I agree with Tom, we saw a LOT of Allantises and Platypuses.

Here are some pics.

Pam and me, making our way to the Convention Center to get a bike box for her Betty Foy, which Riv kindly supplied.
image0.jpeg

On our way out we spotted this Hunq, and as we were admiring it, someone pointed out the owner. She looks cool.
image0.jpeg

Pam and I parking. My bike looks gigantic next to her mini bike.
image2.jpeg

And even more so in our hotel room.
image2.jpeg

Here is Tall Paul with his Atlantis and a Platypus owner at the start of our coffee ride. I meant to chat with the Platy owner but he peeled off before I could. Oh well.
image1.jpeg

More in a minute…

On Mar 18, 2024, at 10:01 AM, Tom Goodmann <tgoo...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mar 18, 2024, at 10:01 AM, Tom Goodmann <tgoo...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mar 18, 2024, at 10:01 AM, Tom Goodmann <tgoo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Echoing Eric: so good to see Roman, James, and Will--and three beautiful bikes (all of which sold, I believe)--as well as meeting Roberta, Leah, Pam, Tom, Patty, Paul, Rick (riding a Rom with 38s!) and others at PBE. Multiple Atlantises and Platys amid the throngs. A very nice event in every respect; lots of group rides, including Saturday night to Keystone Bicycle Company for beer and pretzels, our group led by Pam. And seeing the work of advocates, of component makers, and the bikes of fine builders.  Very good crowds, too, on both days. I'm glad I went.  Thanks, Rivfolk!

Leah Peterson

Mar 18, 2024, 8:13:33 PMMar 18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Here’s the group!
image0.jpeg

We ran into Eric on our way to Trader Joe’s.
image1.jpeg

And finally, the RivSisters took a self-portrait.
image5.jpeg

I’ll see if in the next post I can include my video of Pam, doing Pam Things…
Leah

On Mar 18, 2024, at 8:08 PM, Leah Peterson <jonasa...@gmail.com> wrote:

In parts, because Google Groups is acting ridiculous again…

We had a lot of fun - and I agree with Tom, we saw a LOT of Allantises and Platypuses.

Here are some pics.

Pam and me, making our way to the Convention Center to get a bike box for her Betty Foy, which Riv kindly supplied.
<image0.jpeg>

On our way out we spotted this Hunq, and as we were admiring it, someone pointed out the owner. She looks cool.
<image1.jpeg>

Pam and I parking. My bike looks gigantic next to her mini bike.
<image2.jpeg>

And even more so in our hotel room.
<image3.jpeg>

Here is Tall Paul with his Atlantis and a Platypus owner at the start of our coffee ride. I meant to chat with the Platy owner but he peeled off before I could. Oh well.
<image4.jpeg>

Message has been deleted

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Mar 18, 2024, 8:29:37 PMMar 18
to RBW Owners Bunch
IMG_5754.jpeg
Really trying here. Let’s see if this fits everyone in the frame…

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Mar 18, 2024, 8:30:28 PMMar 18
to RBW Owners Bunch
IMG_5782.jpeg

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Mar 18, 2024, 8:30:58 PMMar 18
to RBW Owners Bunch
IMG_5757.jpeg

Leah Peterson

Mar 18, 2024, 8:33:18 PMMar 18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Pam doing Pam Things (video, hope it works):

Video.mov

Doug H.

Mar 18, 2024, 9:38:05 PMMar 18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Fantastic!! I've been keeping up with the PBE posts on Instagram. The number of vendors and cool products is amazing. I have added this to my bucket list of activities to do. Thanks for sharing the photos and short video of Pam maneuvering the box through the exhibit hall. The RivSisters look happy.
Doug

ascpgh

Mar 19, 2024, 9:19:39 AMMar 19
to RBW Owners Bunch
All the pictures make me happy for those who attended but sad that work prevented me from being there this year. You all got to see and meet some real icons in person there.

Having the time to browse and speak with folks who seem like they would be unapproachable pillars of cycling notoriety but are real, humble and all about cycling. I met and talked with so many icons and responsible parties to my cycling path and equipment like Paul Price, who's Racer brakes are on my RIvendell, or Wayne Bingham who now owns Mel Pinto Imports and distributes VAR tools and Cane Creek products. Always love seeing Brian Chapman and Johnny Coast sharing a booth. I was so happy that RIv made the decision to come across the country and be a part of it. It really fits their company.

I met and talked to Brad Quartuccio, the photographer in bicycling "counter culture" in the '90s-'00s we both realized that we share the same favorite coffee shop and he lived (then) less than a mile form me.

The Philly Bike Expo has a vibe that the InterBike trade show where I always felt like I was bothering vendors despite running a shop and attending for my business needs.  Bridgestone were an exception, I still remember Grant offered some jelly beans while others were handing out cold micro brews and all sorts of corporate trick or treat valuables (that lowly shop employees in attendance hawked up by the backpackful).  There is no secret handshake at PBE except liking bikes and riding.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

Tim Burke

Mar 19, 2024, 10:26:13 AMMar 19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I love expo weekend because it lets us give so many out of towners a taste of what makes Philadelphia such a great city for cycling of all types!
I'm so glad that I got to meet so many folks from the forum but I wish I that I was able to meet everyone. Eric, it was a pleasure riding with you and giving you a taste of our local trails.

st nick

Mar 19, 2024, 3:33:01 PMMar 19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to everyone sharing the Bike Expo info and pictures.

It looks like a remarkably great time was had by all.

I would love to attend one year.

At one point a few years back a Custom bike show was planned for Dallas, TX but that was when all the  C_vid stuff was going on and it was cancelled.

Paul in Dallas
also
liam_box
on instagram.

Pam Bikes

Mar 29, 2024, 11:47:58 PMMar 29
to RBW Owners Bunch
Just now seeing this thread....so so much fun meeting everyone and riding all over Philly.  So many beautiful Rivs and the nicest owners too.  Thanks to everyone who came to ride Sat night, Sun morning and to my seminar.  Can't wait to see everyone next year.  Or come see me in Charlotte, NC.

Here's a picture from my seminar.  My bike is loaded down w/all my stuff.  I flew my bike and stuff into LGA and rode it from the airport, to the CABDA East show while staying in NYC until Philly.  Thurs before Philly I took another RivSister, Leah's sister, out for a ride over the Brooklyn Bridge.  The next day I rode to Penn Station and caught the Amtrak to Philly and rode w/Leah the next day.  So if you wonder if you can get all your stuff on your bike for 11 days, you can if you have a rack and bags.
p.s.  the duffle bag had all the packing material to box my bike.  After boxing the bike, it holds all the stuff.  So I checked the duffle as one bag and the bike was the 2nd bag.  I got a first class upgrade offer for $62 which saved me $23 since I was going to pay for 2 bags anyway.  This was on American from Philly to Charlotte.  First class gets 2 free checked bags.
11daysonbike.PNG