FS: 58cm silver double top tube Appaloosa

Gary L

Feb 12, 2024, 4:24:47 PMFeb 12
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've decided to free up some garage space so my wonderful Appaloosa is up for sale. It's a silver 58cm, double top tube earlier model, but not sure about the year it was made (maybe two iterations ago?). As you can see from the pics, it is in very excellent condition with just some slight discoloration on the head tube from cable rub.

I'd be open to selling the whole bike (minus Brooks seat, bag, and front rack) for $1950, or the F/F/HS/BB for $1100 obo. Also anywhere in between priced accordingly.

Component list:
Deore LX front/rear derailleurs/175mm crank arms and rings
Silver shifters
XTR m900 cantis
Tektro brake levers
Noodle 46cm bars
Generic seat post from Riv
Wheels - Mavic Open Pro rims/Deore LX hubs, 36 DB spokes/Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 40s (not the RH's pictured)

I'm in Asheville, NC and local pickup would be easiest, but willing to ship if buyer pays for packing/shipping. PayPal preferred.

Send me a PM with any questions!

Richard Rose

Feb 12, 2024, 6:27:47 PMFeb 12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
What a beauty! Any idea what the saddle height is as pictured?
Sent from my iPhone

Bill Lindsay

Feb 12, 2024, 6:36:23 PMFeb 12
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm in the market for a set of M900 cantilevers.  Let me know if you want me to liberate them

Also, it looks to me like you have the brakes installed backwards.  The M900s were very cleverly designed by Shimano to be slightly different, FRONT vs REAR.  The intent was for them to feel the same in your hand.  The REAR has a longer run of cable and housing, so would naturally feel squishier.  So, they designed the REAR caliper to have a little bit shorter arms, and a corresponding slightly lower Mechanical Advantage.  That offset the squishiness of the cable and housing run, and the MA demands for a rear brake are lower anyway because it's much easier to lock up a rear brake.  The FRONT had longer arms and a higher MA to complement the stiffer feel from a much shorter cable run.

You have the longer arms installed in back and the shorter ones in front.  At a glance you can tell them apart by the size of the hole in the arm.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Gary L

Feb 12, 2024, 7:27:39 PMFeb 12
to RBW Owners Bunch
The saddle height in the pics is 80cm.

Bill, your technical knowledge is way past mine - I'd always assumed the brake arms were the same and didn't notice any difference in feel. I will swap them front to back, thanks for the tip! And right now, I'd like to keep them with the complete bike. If the sale of just the frame frees them up, I'll get back with you.

Gary L

Feb 14, 2024, 7:05:16 PMFeb 14
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the interest. The App is headed to a new home in Colorado.

ScaD

Feb 24, 2024, 11:51:21 AMFeb 24
to RBW Owners Bunch
That's a great looking bike! Do you happen to know the PBH recommendation for that size, or have a link to the old geo chart?

I ride an older 58 cm Sam. Wonder if it's similar.

Gary L

Feb 24, 2024, 3:00:35 PMFeb 24
to RBW Owners Bunch
ScaD, I don’t know the recommendations but my PBH is 91 and it fit perfectly. I also had an older double top tube 58 Sam and it fit about the same.