Coffee Grinder Question

Eric Norris

May 24, 2019, 1:12:31 PM5/24/19
to RBW
To All:

I was inspired by the recent discussion of hand-cranked coffee mills to purchase a Mueller Austrian grinder:

I like it, except that it takes *forever* to grind a small amount of coffee—4 to 5 minutes to make enough grounds for one cup in my Aeropress.

Is this consistent with everyone’s experience with grinders like this, or am I doing something wrong?

--Eric Norris
campyo...@me.com
@CampyOnlyguy (Twitter/Instagram)

Wally Estrella

May 24, 2019, 2:08:03 PM5/24/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have the larger Porlex grinder.  That takes about about a minute to grind a 1/2 cup.  Set for french press/pour over.

Deacon Patrick

May 24, 2019, 3:02:56 PM5/24/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Our Lido2 takes about 30 seconds to grind one mug of coffee, set at a fine french press grind. And espresso grind would take a bit longer.

With abandon,
Patrick

Will

May 24, 2019, 3:12:03 PM5/24/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Do two stages. First one cracks the beans coarsely. It will be quick. Second effort grinds to desired level and will be faster since the cracked beans flow better than whole beans.

John McBurney

May 24, 2019, 4:19:58 PM5/24/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yeah it’s a Zen practice. Just breathe.

John

Patrick Moore

May 24, 2019, 4:45:44 PM5/24/19
to rbw-owners-bunch
Is the 1 minute for 1/2 cup of beans everyone's experience with the Porlex?

I take it then that 1/4 of beans (more or less) for a ~18 oz cup would take less time? (Fine grind, dark roast.)

I'll pass on the Lido; too dear for my plebian tastes.

I am tempted by the Porlex (tho' in the earlier thread, someone's advice to drip a few drops of water onto the frozen beans before grinding (nope, not going to roast my own) takes care of the dust/static electricity problem.

Still 'round the corner there may wait
A new road or a secret gate,
And though we pass them by today,
Tomorrow we may come this way
And take the hidden paths that run
Towards the Moon or to the Sun.
                                --- J.R.R. Tolkien
Resumes, LinkedIn profiles, bios, and letters that get interviews
By-the-hour resume and LinkedIn coaching
Other professional writing services
Expensive! But good.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nuevo Mexico, Etats Unis d'Amerique

Eric Norris

May 24, 2019, 6:14:35 PM5/24/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hard to breathe slowly when I need that coffee!!

–Eric N

Chris L

May 24, 2019, 8:36:25 PM5/24/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I only have experience with one hand grinder (Hario Skerton) and the time to grind gets exponentially longer the finer you are grinding.  Unfortunately, that specific model doesn't grind well for French press so it's relegated to back-up status for the rare power outage.

a spens

May 26, 2019, 10:41:54 AM5/26/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Forgive the dumb? question but how does one crack the beans first?

Ginz

May 30, 2019, 11:49:55 PM5/30/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Are we grinding on the road or at home? I assume the road, as there are larger manual grinders for home.

Mark in Beacon

May 31, 2019, 11:05:20 AM5/31/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Can someone explain the awesome advantage hand grinders have over my little electric Krupps? I assume it has to do with heat affecting final taste. But has BQ done any testing in this area? Kidding aside, does it matter that much? Or is it mostly just the artisanal aspect? Which is fine, too.

Patrick Moore

May 31, 2019, 11:13:38 AM5/31/19
to rbw-owners-bunch
I've explored this esoterica myself, and I figure that, if you roast your own beans in small amounts, then it would indeed be worthwhile, but if you -- like me -- buy 3 lb bags (of decent but bulk) coffee at Costco and freeze it, then, no.

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 9:05 AM 'Mark in Beacon' via RBW Owners Bunch <rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Can someone explain the awesome advantage hand grinders have over my little electric Krupps? I assume it has to do with heat affecting final taste. But has BQ done any testing in this area? Kidding aside, does it matter that much? Or is it mostly just the artisanal aspect? Which is fine, too.

Garth

May 31, 2019, 12:28:45 PM5/31/19
to RBW Owners Bunch

I didn't think grind method really mattered as I always used a Krupps.  Out of the blue a relative sent me his Lido 2 that he wasn't using anymore as bought another grinder that for him was easier .

I make coffee with a 12 cup (hah hah that's 2oz. per cup) aluminum Bialetti Moka pot and I use about 1/4c beans that makes for one nice big mug 'o joe. My preferred coffee to grind is Seattle's Best #5, dark, smoky and luscious. Upon tasting the Lido ground brew my first thought was something akin to "well ain't that a kick in the pants, I never tasted this from the Krupps grind, yummm ! "  Bye bye Krupps. I find the Lido a breeze to grind, the key for me was to be creative on how you hold it to your body. It's all intuitive.

For myself it's all about the flavor, and since the hand grind tastes notably better, so it is. I've tried lots of brands of whole bean coffee and nothing tastes more pleasing to me that SB #5 and I can get it at my local Kroger so the bags are always "fresh".

My brother doesn't care about the grind or any flavor as long as it's coffee and cheap so he can make a whole drip pot and drink it all day long. Everything works for Everybody, and ain't that a kicker !  ;-)

Austin B.

Jun 2, 2019, 6:19:12 AM6/2/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
That improvement you taste has less to do with hand grinding than it does 1) the consistency of the grind that comes from Burr grinding (Lido) vs. Blade grinding (Krups) and 2) the lack of heat generated by your Lido as compared to your high-speed Krups blade which can affect the taste.

A decent automatic burr grinder will produce a grind comparable to your Lido with way less effort but way more noise. The downside is that it will eat into your bike funds because they ain't cheap!

Austin

John Rinker

Jun 2, 2019, 6:17:13 PM6/2/19
to RBW Owners Bunch

Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 3.16.34 PM.png

Ginz

Jun 4, 2019, 10:40:54 AM6/4/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
For home grinding where the consistency matters, like with a French Press, I use  a Zassenhaus mill.  For pour over with a filter, I usually let the small electric mill do the work quickly.  I don't see how heat build up is a huge issue but if I were in a laboratory environment with $30/lb beans, I wouldn't leave it to chance.  Mainly, the Zassenhaus mill is just satisfying to use as a tool, if you have the time to spare.

Mark Schneider

Mar 23, 2022, 4:58:29 PM3/23/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
For me, it was because I lived in an area where I lost power so often during the winter. After I bought the little burr grinder I realized it made better coffee. But the blade grinders aren't terrible, kind of like riding an aluminum Trek from the 90's with 20mm tires pumped to 160psi on a washboard road, with drain rock...

Will Boericke

Mar 23, 2022, 7:22:41 PM3/23/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm fascinated by the manual grinder.  I'm into coffee enough to roast my own beans, but I can't see the benefit of manual work when my Virtuoso does a fine job for all of my use cases.  Now, a manual espresso maker...

Will

Pam Bikes

Mar 23, 2022, 9:12:25 PM3/23/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Is this for home use - lots of beans  - or a single cup when camping?  The guy on Firebox stove.com has a manual grinder that he has on his videos and website IIRC.  But he's only using it for a single cup in an Aeropress.

Peter Bridge

Mar 28, 2022, 11:23:48 AM3/28/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
As the conversation has drifted to include electric grinders, I'd volunteer that I'm very happy with my "Krups Precision Grinder Flat Burr" which I found for a very affordable price.  Reliably measures the amount of coffee desired.  Also a small footprint, and easy to use.  I own a ridiculously more expensive Italian espresso grinder.  I use the Krups.

~pb

George Schick

Mar 28, 2022, 4:42:17 PM3/28/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I like to go on the cheap.  I bought a Hario "skerton pro" manual coffee grinder, a Genesis GLSD08B 2-speed electric screw driver, and a NEIKO 10068A 20-piece hex nut driver set to grind my coffee several years ago.  The 7mm nut driver fits the 6-point "nut" on top of the Hario coffee grinder perfectly.  Then, I dump the ground coffee into an AeroPress and that's it.  Makes great coffee and short circuits the need to manually grind the beans.

Patrick Moore

Mar 28, 2022, 5:29:01 PM3/28/22
to rbw-owners-bunch
That's brilliant. I may have to investigate adapting my decent, home-use electric drill to the Neiko. I say this as one who for decades has happily drunk coffee made from beans egregiously burnt by 30-second, heavily smoking intervals in high-speed blade grinders. Fortunately, tea requires no such manipulation.

Tea! Oh! Oh! Tea! Paul Newman's Own Organic Black Tea, at $7.98 for a box of 100 bags at the nearby Keller's tastes distinctly better ("fuller" -- more teal-like in fact) than Twinings or that other common Brit import. Again, good enough for me.

Will Boericke

Mar 29, 2022, 10:23:00 AM3/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Blade grinders are totally fine for drip coffee.  I'm not sure you'd notice a difference there.  If you're making espresso, the burr grinder is a must.  I have to say, for crusty bike tinkerers, Baratza is right in our wheelhouse.  All the parts and instructions are online.  I've had mine apart dozens of times and upgraded the internals along the way.  As far as using a drill with a hand grinder, I'm not sure I see the need to reverse-engineer an electric grinder, especially for the amount of coffee I grind (a pound + / week).

Will, with a serious caffeine addiction