What does a BMC Monstercross weigh?

Bill Lindsay

Mar 8, 2018, 1:31:33 PM3/8/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I finally bought a BMC Monstercross frameset.  Why?  Because it's dumb not to buy one.  The only thing that had been stopping me was the horizontal dropouts, because vertical dropouts are categorically better.  Since the last time I decided horizontal dropouts were a dealkiller, I've acquired 4 bikes with horizontal dropouts, and guess what?  I didn't die.  Vertical dropouts are better, but horizontals are not the end of the world.  The BRIGHT green colorway of the latest batch made it irresistable.  So, new bike day?  The build will be a drop bar mountain bike.  No racks, no lights, no fenders.  It'll be used for 2-3 hour mountain bike rides. I'll post photos when there is something to look at.  I have a couple small details to iron out.

In the meantime, there have been a couple gram-counter threads recently, and I thought I'd offer up another datapoint while I have a bare frame and fork:

A 58cm Black Mountain Monstercross frame, with Cane Creek 40 headset cups pressed in, weighs 2257g
The fork with a crown race installed and an uncut threadless steerer is 1057g

Use that data for whatever you like.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

nash...@gmail.com

Mar 8, 2018, 2:43:19 PM3/8/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Enjoy it. I have one and it is a very versatile ans fun bike. I find it compliments his road bike nicely.

Dave Grossman

Mar 8, 2018, 2:51:01 PM3/8/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I just got my blue of the same batch. My first plan is to build it as a single speed. To me, the dropouts were a dealmaker so I could naturally have a single speed if I desired...which I do!

Edwin W

Mar 8, 2018, 6:06:47 PM3/8/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bill,

How did you pick the size, and what are the sizes of your other bikes?

I have looked at those frames before, but after seeing your post I went and looked at them some more. It really does seem "dumb not to buy one" as you say! What sensible bikes.

If I had some 2-3 hour mountain bike rides in my future, I sure would want one of those.

Mostly just biking from A to B on my Joe Appaloosa,

Edwin

Leaf Slayer

Mar 8, 2018, 6:19:36 PM3/8/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Congrats on the bike Bill. Those look pretty sweet. I'm curious, what brakes will you be using, Paul's?

Looking forward to pictures.

--mike

Bill Lindsay

Mar 8, 2018, 6:24:53 PM3/8/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Edwin asked how I picked the size.

I own two Black Mountain Road Frames already.  They are both 59cm.  Mike changed the sizing a while ago.  If I was buying one of his road frames today, I don't know if I'd buy a 60 or a 58.  I talked to Mike in person once or twice, and we agreed that if I was in my 20s I might have run a 56.  I'm 49 and don't need my bars super low, so a 58 made more sense.  My Saddle Height is 75.5cm.  If I was buying a Rivendell Roadeo, I'd get a 59.  I fit well on a 55 Joe Appaloosa.  We'll see how the standover works out.  I might get time to mock up the standover with my 29"x2.0 knobbies tonight.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Bill Lindsay

Mar 8, 2018, 6:55:35 PM3/8/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Mike Leaf Slayer inquired about brakes.

I'm going to run cantilevers.  I'm leaning towards CX70s because they open wide so well.  I do have a set of Paul Touring Cantilevers, and I also am tempted to use some NOS XTR M900 cantilevers.  I do have a brand new set of Paul Minimotos, but they are intended for a different target.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Scott G.

Mar 8, 2018, 8:14:30 PM3/8/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
On my BMC I have Paul Neo Retro in front and a CX-70 in back.
The Cx-70 straddle did not clear the front Compass UD-1 rack-brake hole strut.

On the drop outs, I had to remove the powder coat from the drop out axle slots
to fit White hubs, also removed the powder from the dropout faces.

Compass 38 tires,  highly entertaining in down hill twisty bits.

Deacon Patrick

Mar 8, 2018, 8:22:22 PM3/8/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Scott, give the Steilacooms a try. I love them vs. Barlows for their grip in the loose, up and down.

With abandon,
Patrick

John G.

Mar 8, 2018, 9:38:32 PM3/8/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice, Bill! I’m looking forward to seeing your build and Reading your impressions. I’ve shared my enthusiasm for my BMC Road on other forums. Mike Varley designs great frames for an incredible value. My saddle height is 79.5, and I ended up going for a 60cm. Wish I had gone for a 62.

He’s also a world-class wheelbuilder.

Ian A

Mar 8, 2018, 10:31:18 PM3/8/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bill,

Please let us know how much room you have left over with the 50mm tires. I'm guessing to tight for fenders at that width? I know you said yours is to be sans fenders, but I'm curious anyway,

IanA

Jonathan D.

Mar 8, 2018, 11:21:33 PM3/8/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bill,

Would love to hear a report on how it compares to you Sam Hillborne and BMC Road. I have thought about getting one but was wondering how much overlap there would be. I am also considering a disk winter bike for he PNW.

Adam in Indiana

Mar 9, 2018, 1:46:51 AM3/9/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 11:21:33 PM UTC-5, Jonathan D. wrote:
> Bill,
>
> Would love to hear a report on how it compares to you Sam Hillborne and BMC Road.

I'll second that request for a friendly Sam comparison.

Dave Grossman

Mar 9, 2018, 9:41:32 AM3/9/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
One of the things that inevitably sold me on the frame was Mike mocking up a CAD drawing of the two sizes I was between and helping me with fit.  He spent so much time with me online and on the phone.

I also liked the idea of running wide rubber (2.0s or so) in the winter instead of running a dedicated winter bike.  It might be a do it all frame.

Belopsky

Mar 9, 2018, 10:16:19 AM3/9/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Have you built it up yet Dave?

Dave Grossman

Mar 9, 2018, 10:23:58 AM3/9/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Not yet Igor.  In the works.

Braxton Colagross

Mar 9, 2018, 10:52:45 AM3/9/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
A friend has 2.1" Thunder Burts under Berthoud fenders on his BMC MC. It's tight but they don't rub and he's ridden many miles.

Dave Grossman

Mar 9, 2018, 11:11:43 AM3/9/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
That is the info I want to hear!  I was debating grabbing some Panaracer Fire Cross in a 45 but if I could fit a Thunder Burt than no brainer.  Do you know what variation he has of the frame?

Bill Lindsay

Mar 9, 2018, 1:14:11 PM3/9/18
to RBW Owners Bunch

Here are the requested clearance photos.  The tires are WTB Bronson 29x2.0  They read 50-622 on the casing.  They measure a physical 52mm on HED Belgium Plus 25mm rims with tubes pumped to high pressure (~40psi).

I have a set of brand new 29x2.1" Thunder Burt Snakeskins on another wheelset that I can't test fit onto this frame.  Those tires measure 54.5mm on a different 23.5mm rim, set up tubeless at high pressure (~35psi).

I hope that tells you what you want to know.

Bill

Ian A

Mar 9, 2018, 2:28:34 PM3/9/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for those picks Bill. Clearance is impressive.

IanA

Kieran J

Mar 9, 2018, 2:59:18 PM3/9/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have run a set of 29x2.1 Thunder Burt Liteskins on my BMC, and they fit in a similar fashion to the Bronsons Bill has shown. A comfortable amount of clearance all around.

KJ

Dave Grossman

Mar 9, 2018, 2:59:21 PM3/9/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow thanks Bill.  Now I am really excited about this frame.  I sold my Pugsley a little while ago because of the Q factor and my knees and was going to find an winter MTB to replace it with.  I might just throw some knobbies on the BMC and not look back.

Clayton.sf

Mar 9, 2018, 4:15:55 PM3/9/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Just build up my Falconer BMC disc. 59 size.

No silly light parts,  1x gearing, 32h wheels. 44mm snoqualmie TL tires.

23 pounds even without pump and fenders.

Good enough! Could trim off more by cutting the steerer a bit more and going carbon stem, bars, and post as well as lighter pedals, but I will likely not do that.

Clayton Scott,
SF, CA

Belopsky

Mar 9, 2018, 6:25:26 PM3/9/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow nice.

Philip Williamson

Mar 9, 2018, 10:53:13 PM3/9/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I saw that on Instagram - looks amazing.
I look forward to seeing it next weekend at the Redlands Strada Rossa.

Philip
Santa Rosa, CA

Clayton.sf

Mar 9, 2018, 11:58:57 PM3/9/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
can't wait!!

Clayton.sf

Mar 10, 2018, 12:50:51 AM3/10/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Philip, what tires you bringing. weather looks iffy. I am debating knobbies instead of slicks.

Clayton Scott
SF, CA

Bill Lindsay

Mar 14, 2018, 2:36:33 PM3/14/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Still no photos, but all I have left to do is wrap the bars.  I will maybe start a new thread when the bars are wrapped.  I wanted to update this thread on the weight topic.  I cut the steertube down by 78g, and that leaves 10cm above my threadless stem at the max height I would want.  I may cut it again after some shake down rides.

The total weight came in at 24.3lbs. That doesn't mean a lot without a build list, which I'll post soon.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

pb

Mar 14, 2018, 5:39:04 PM3/14/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bill,

I look forward to seeing pix.  Your appetite for bikes exceeds mine, although I announced I was at N+0 a year ago, and there's a new bike in the garage and another on the way, so I guess I was wrong.

If you need a home for a 59 Black Mountain road, I suppose I'd like to know about it, although the frame on the way is intended to be similar for lots more money.  Hmmmn.  Maybe that was bad planning.

Peter Bridge
Sebastopol

Philip Williamson

Mar 14, 2018, 11:44:48 PM3/14/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Rat Trap Pass. It’s what I’ve got on the bike, and no time to swap for whatever nasty old knobbies I have in the shed.

Clayton.sf

Mar 15, 2018, 9:11:21 AM3/15/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
sticking to Snoqualmie here too. we shall see...

Scott S

Dec 11, 2019, 12:20:24 PM12/11/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Very late to this party but wanted to ask John G a question, if possible -- you wrote:

My saddle height is 79.5, and I ended up going for a 60cm. Wish I had gone for a 62.

Would love to hear why. My saddle height is 80.5, which puts me pretty much in the middle of Mike's saddle height range for a 60cm frame. I'm at the low end of the range for a 62cm frame. I'm 6' with long legs, short torso, and concerned I'd have reach issues with the 60cm TT on the 62 frame. The TT is 59 on the 60cm frame, which is also something of a concern. Any wisdom appreciated.

Clayton.sf

Dec 11, 2019, 12:51:20 PM12/11/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I am 6' with saddle height (measured from center of bb to top in a straight line along the seat tube) of 76cm. I ride a 58cm monstercross (rim brake). With a 100mm stem this fits great with minimal spacers. Could ride a size up but prefer the 58cm. Hope this data point helps. I is a fantastic frame and while it may lack some of the flourishes of pricier frames its ride quality leaves nothing to be desired for me.

Clayton Scott
HBG, CA

Adam Leibow

Dec 11, 2019, 8:04:42 PM12/11/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I got the new road plus and it rides really great. took it up all over mt. tam and marin. it's been my wet weather bike recently. this is the "53cm". (so called because of the compact geometry - it fits like their 58 rim brake bikes)

IMG_5530.jpeg

Scott Sutherland

Dec 12, 2019, 11:16:32 AM12/12/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, the data point is appreciated. I've seen a built up 58 in person and thought the TT was ideal, but that I'd definitely need an overall taller frame (ST and HT) to get the fit I was after. Thus the 60 vs 62 comparison. Size aside, everything I've read suggests this is an ideal frame for the commuter/all purpose rig I want to build.

Scott

Scott Sutherland

Dec 12, 2019, 11:16:35 AM12/12/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Adam, great looking ride — love the fenders. I’m considering a road + as well for an all arounder, including some trail use — any experience on singletrack w yours? Also curious about long TT / short stem combo and any impact on balance or handling.

Adam Leibow

Dec 19, 2019, 9:48:53 PM12/19/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Scott, handling is normal/fine although I think the stem could be 10-20mm longer to fit optimally (i go back and forth on that which is why I haven't made the change yet). I highly recommend this bike, rides zippily like a Homer and the color options are great this batch. It handles well on single track. I ride it around golden gate park trails here in SF. Also, here is a video edit I made riding the Road Plus on Mt. Tamalpais dirt roads: https://www.instagram.com/p/B5RwAfelCn4/

Scott Sutherland

Dec 27, 2019, 11:44:37 AM12/27/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Adam — sounds like a great ride. Enjoyed the Mt Tam video, though it makes me seriously question the life choices that have kept me in New England for too long.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/c1633c0c-0c52-48c1-8628-87580a358b43%40googlegroups.com.