I'm a New Bike Commuter

Roberta

Feb 4, 2022, 9:33:29 AM2/4/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
After living in the city for decades, my company moved its office and I can finally bike or walk commute--just under 2 miles each way.   I've been varying my method based on the weather (I don't like riding in the rain, snow or ice) and both are fabulous ways to start and end the day, physically and mentally.  Most of the ride is on streets with bike lanes.  I'll be riding one of my two step-through's--Platypus or She-Devil.  I can take the bike into my office.

I like using a backpack for walking, but not sure about riding.   What do you use for a short commuter trips--backpack (current preference, not not sure how hot I'll find it in the warmer months), pannier or saddle bag (I have a Riv Small Saddlesack).  I have rack or rack and basket on the back of each bike. I'll be carrying lunch, a change of clothes and shoes.

I have lots of lights and reflectors on the bikes.  Any other suggestions?

Roberta

Eric Floden

Feb 4, 2022, 9:43:32 AM2/4/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I preferred a backpack for my 2 x 5km commutes. I would do errands on these rides and it was good not to have gear left behind on the bike.

Also as I weigh 100kg (225 lbs) I like having the weight on me in an effort to "ride light". Easy to stand on pedals going over rough stuff...

ef
Vancouver

Ben Mihovk

Feb 4, 2022, 10:29:42 AM2/4/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Greetings!
I commute maybe 75% of the time (negative windchills, rain, and messy snowy streets put me in the car) and it's about 3 miles for me.

I LOVE my Slimsucker...fits my laptop, some books, extra layers, a lunch if I need to squeeze it in, etc... Perfect. I also have a Mark's rack up front that I put a basket on with voile straps when I need to stop at the store. I have a rear rack on my commuter (Atlantis) that I haven't used since I got the Slimsucker, but if I have something heavy to carry, I can throw my basket on the rear rack and it can do up to 40 pounds I think.

For your carrying needs, I think you could get away with a bigger saddle bag (Baggabond or Happisack) if you're carrying shoes. Maybe even a Bike-a-bag (is that what the pannier is called?).

Have fun!
Ben in Omaha

Patrick Moore

Feb 4, 2022, 10:38:47 AM2/4/22
to rbw-owners-bunch
Roberta: Congratulations on the new commuting arrangements, which sound ideal except perhaps for being too short a distance. I know that I found commuting by bike a pleasure while commuting by car was just an annoying chore.

For 2 miles a body pack of some sort will work, but I much prefer using the bike to carry luggage, which will be easy if you have baskets or racks on each bike and can take the bike into your office. The basket and Saddlesack ought to take care of your daily loads.

My commute was 15 or 16 miles 1-way, and I often extended it to 20. For such rides I much preferred saddlebags or rear panniers. I finally added a dynamo hub after forgetting my battery lights once too often and bending my fork on a curb (but I managed to ride the bike home) during a twilight evening commute home. For 2 miles, a battery light ought to be sufficient, but a permanent dynamo setup is really a pleasure since you don't have to think about charging and attaching the lights.

And yes, lots of reflectors. I use a big reflective ankle strap and one of Rivendell's reflective triangles. Really, properly lit and reflected, you're probably more visible to motorists at night than during the day.

Patrick Moore

Patrick Moore

Feb 4, 2022, 10:51:03 AM2/4/22
to rbw-owners-bunch
One more thought. I've commuted in the rain (we do get rain even in NM) and found a rain cape the best wet weather protection. I've even worn a cape, at a light, cheap nylon on (Campmor, but in fact I like these better than the much more expensive cotton and nylon Carradice models because I don't sweat in them, and they fold up very small -- I weight the rear with 2 or 3 small stacks of metal washers sewn to the bottom rear of the cape) in a howling SW downpour with gale-force winds, and capes don't seem to make riding much more cumbersome in such circumstances. Rain caps also cover your saddle and handlebar.

Patrick Moore

Feb 4, 2022, 10:55:49 AM2/4/22
to rbw-owners-bunch
Sorry, one more thing: Shoes: I used to keep office shoes and clothes at the office, and would clean up (no shower) with a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol and paper towels. Very quick and efficient; for me, the biggest chore was simply cooling down and stopping sweating after a ride, even in cold weather (office often was overheated), to aid which I had a big desk fan which I turned on immediately upon arriving.

(At one job, they even gave me an extra office as a sort of bike garage, and at another had a little closet nook with hanger pole and shelving installed for my work clothing. I fondly recall doing minor bike maintenance on the office rug. Obviously, this was a small, low-key place.)

lconley

Feb 4, 2022, 11:01:26 AM2/4/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I haven't used a backpack on a bicycle since I rode 120 miles from from Gainesville to Daytona Beach with my Boy Scout Yucca backpack and swore off ever cycling with a backpack again (this was in the 70s). For a commuter, I use a basket on the front with a stretch net. I also have one of those foam camping cushions in the bottom of the basket - keep the U-lock from banging around.

Laing

Steven Sweedler

Feb 4, 2022, 11:11:19 AM2/4/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Laing, its been a long time since I heard mention of the Boy Scout Yucca Pack, I still have mine fromthe early 60’s. Hasn’t been used since then. Some thimgs I just can’t get rid of. Steve

Steven Sweedler
Plymouth, New Hampshire

lconley

Feb 4, 2022, 11:20:31 AM2/4/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I had mine from '67 until about two years ago when I got married and started downsizing my junk. I donated it to charity along with the Kirtland Tour Pak front and rear panniers and handlebar bag that I bought so that I didn't need to use the Yucca. I think I still have the Blackburn front rack.

Laing

Kainalu V. -Brooklyn NY

Feb 4, 2022, 11:31:47 AM2/4/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
You're Stoked! and I'm very happy for you. Being able to bring your bike inside can be a blessing and a curse, what with condensation and such as you see in jolly Philadelphia. I'm fortunate to have a back lot at my job where I can stash my bike behind a locked gate, and as a museum laborer, it's not a huge deal if I'm a little sweaty upon arrival (I keep emergency clothes stashed under my seldom used desk though).
As for backpacks, throw that thing in the Skoookiill river.

A Happy Rolling Roberta!
-Kai

Bones

Feb 4, 2022, 11:58:16 AM2/4/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
It depends on how much stuff you need to tote. For years now I've been quite happy with: front rack, Wald 137, Sackville grabsack, net. I am also able to store my bike inside when I get to work, but I stay away from rear bags because I do lock up at other places sometimes and I like being able to take what's in the basket and leave the bike bare. I keep my lock, tools, repair stuff, lunch, etc. in the bag. When I do have to drive to work I take the same grabsack, so I never need to rearrange my stuff. If you like using your backpack for walking, perhaps you can continue to do so, and just throw it in a basket if you decide to ride in.

Good luck!
Bones

rlti...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2022, 12:29:06 PM2/4/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I used to do a commute that was primarily off-road. Some days I would ride in on the roads just to stay cleaner (no trail dirt). For these commutes I used an Arkel Bug pannier. It can be used as a backpack as well since in has shoulder straps that can be covered when used as a pannier. I used it as a pannier in the morning and a backpack at night.

This was likely my favorite commuting bag ever. It worked great as a pannier and surprisingly well as a backpack. It held more than enough for my commute and shows basically no wear after years of use.

Agree with having shoes left in the office. My feet are size 13 so shoes would take up too much room if I carried them daily.

Robert Tilley
San Diego, CA

Sent from my iPhone

Patrick Moore

Feb 4, 2022, 12:29:50 PM2/4/22
to rbw-owners-bunch
I alternated between saddlebags and panniers during years of commuting, finally deciding that panniers worked better for me, and among the reasons for this choice is that panniers, at least those I use, are easy to remove and install and, in addtion -- a big advantage for me -- that you can "customize" the volume. My rear pannier choices give me a range from nothing except a rack to 15 liters (single Ortlieb Sports Packer) to 40 liters (pair of older BackRollers).

But there are QR holders for saddlebags too, though not all work with the horizontal Rivendell bag design or with all saddles.

With QR panniers, like the Ortliebs and the Carradice system -- hell, even the old hook + bungee system is QR -- it's nice to be able to lock your bike outside a store, remove the pannier or panniers with a simple pull on the handles or flick of cams, and trundle into the store with shopping bags ready for the filling. (As it is, I simply wheel the entire bike into the store with panniers attached in place of a shopping cart.)

Patrick "And no damned baskets for me!" Moore (who has used f and r baskets up to the giant Newsboy).

Patrick Moore

Feb 4, 2022, 12:33:55 PM2/4/22
to rbw-owners-bunch
I recall using a Carradice Nelson Longflap from Riv for several years of commuting. That would carry pair of size 10 men's shoes, office clothing including size 42 reg tweed jacket, lunch, repair kit with 2 spare tubes, and minor sundries. I don't know the vol of the Small Saddlesack, but the 2 Mediums I've owned can carry far, far more than the NLF.

Roberta

Feb 4, 2022, 1:26:04 PM2/4/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I am SO EXCITED and I cannot convey that in my words. When I moved to the city, that was my hope--it's been nearly 40 years!  I was car commuting about 45 minutes each way and although I didn't mind the time (I got to listen to music and podcasts), I did mind the crazy drivers on the road.

I expect that once the weather warms, my change of clothes will be to shorts and I'll take the long (long, long) way home.   :)

Roberta

Tom Wyland

Feb 4, 2022, 2:44:41 PM2/4/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
In my years of commuting I've used:
1) Milk Crate
2) Wald Basket
3) Panniers
4) Saddle Bag (Riv Large Saddle Sack)

I have one of those cheap packable backpacks that folds up into its own pocket.  I use it for my work stuff and slide it inside the pannier, basket or saddle bag.  That helps me keep my stuff more organized. I also sling it on my back when I'm locking up my bike, etc. . I borrowed the idea from a friend, so I can't take credit.  If you use a  basket I recommend a foam pad for the bottom, though.
For short trips my preference would be a basket.  It stays on the bike, is transparent to the wind when empty, and keeps my stuff in view.

Tom

Jim Kramka

Feb 4, 2022, 4:02:36 PM2/4/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Another vote here for panniers, but on the front instead of the back. Keeping the load up front on the steering access provides more control than loads on the rear or a backpack up high and behind you. Low rider racks for the panniers keep the center of gravity low, too, adding stability. (I apologize that the model in the photo is not a Riv. I wanted to try 650B wheels and low trail geometry without spending a lot on the frame; the Soma fit the bill.)

Jim, Nashville
IMG_1380.HEIC

Patrick Moore

Feb 4, 2022, 4:27:01 PM2/4/22
to rbw-owners-bunch
I'm sorry to be so voluble and definitive on the matter, but bike commuting and equipment for it are subjects I've spent a lot of time and money on and I have formed definite opinions.

My take on f versus rear: It depends on the bike. My last 2 commuter/errand bikes have had custom rear and front lowrider racks. Of these bikes, one was designed by Grant, the other copied from this first, so Grant geometry road bikes.

These bikes take heavy loads in the rear better than heavy loads in the front. I can carry rear loads (with a stiff rack) up to ~40 lb without undue difficulty. On the front, much over 15 lb makes steering stiff, even dangerously stiff or unreactive if you do not anticipate the steering slowdown.

Also, I can carry lopsided loads in the rear with just minor handling awkwardness, but even a 10 lb imbalance in front makes handling very awkward. This with lowriders in front.

With low trail geometry, of course, the matter is very different.

And, as an aside that might be of use: IME, stiff rear racks make more difference to stable load carrying ability that a stiff frame. The best rear load carrying frame I've owned was a racing frame made from lightweight, relatively thinwall, small diameter tubing. I carried up to 45 lb on the rear (on 12 oz rack) without horribly messing up the handling.

Ben Adrian

Feb 4, 2022, 4:32:30 PM2/4/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I think the Soma Grand Randonneur is rad and was just about to post "NIce BIke!" I was seriously looking at one for a while.
I think we all appreciate nice, similar bikes, even when not a direct Riv.

Ben

Ahmed Elgasseir

Feb 4, 2022, 4:34:12 PM2/4/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Patrick - depends on the bike and the commute. I commute 25-30 miles roundtrip everyday and have been doing this for the past almost 9 years. I have 3 different bikes for my commute depending on the weather, what I am bringing, and which route I decide to take. Having said that, it's always a front rack or rear panniers, and never a backpack.

Ahmed in San Mateo

Ahmed Elgasseir

Department Chair, Visual and Performing Arts

Castilleja School

1310 Bryant Street

Palo Alto, CA 94301

P (415) 654-7977

E aelga...@castilleja.org

www.castilleja.org

Follow us on Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Women Learning. Women Leading.

Jim Kramka

Feb 4, 2022, 5:17:41 PM2/4/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Frame/fork geometry is important to how a bike responds to the placement of loads. I've seen work bikes in China with huge loads on the rear and I assume the pilots of those bikes have pretty definite opinions about where the load goes! For the Grand Randonneur, I prefer the load up front, whether in the handlebar bag or in panniers. In my case, I find the bike handles better with a front load than with no load at all. But maybe that's because I'm a load all by myself.

Jim Kramka

Feb 4, 2022, 5:17:47 PM2/4/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Ben. I built it up from scratch from a mixture of used and new parts. I like the simple retro decals on the down and seat tubes. While the top tube slopes slightly downward toward the rear, the bike still looks classic. I wish it was lugged, though, like the Rivs. I would have purchased one of the early Atlantises if I could have afforded one then. I don't feel the new one, though.

brendonoid

Feb 4, 2022, 8:47:57 PM2/4/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
My commute is 3kms one way basically the same as you. You could just throw your backpack you like to use in the Wald basket. It wouldn't get easier than that. The convenience of not leaving anything on the bike is great.
Worrying about how a load feels isn't going to be an issue over such a short distance, you'll manage even if something isn't ideal.

I work in the clothes I ride in so don't carry that much stuff.

My own current commute setup is a shopsack in a Wald. I use an old small saddlesack in winter if I need extra space for wet weather gear or picking up groceries on the way home.

Joe Mullins

Feb 5, 2022, 2:46:21 AM2/5/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
As many others have mentioned, I find commuting to and from work a wonderful way to round off the day and I’m happy for you to finally experience it! My line of work prevents me from being able to commute by bike on most days so it’s a real treat when I’m able to.

On my Sam I’ve got a medium sized saddle bag that holds tools, straps, gloves, pump, lock, reflective bits and other miscellaneous stuff that always stays on the bike wherever I go. I’ve squeezed a pair of shoes in there with room to spare.  In a Wald basket up front I’m currently using a Blue Lug 137 tote bag with a net securing it. I take the tote with me when I get to work. The basket is nice because it’s versatile.

Roberta

Feb 5, 2022, 9:57:50 AM2/5/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
" I have one of those cheap packable backpacks that folds up into its own pocket.  I use it for my work stuff and slide it inside the pannier, basket or saddle bag.  That helps me keep my stuff more organized. "--Tom

This is brilliant!!!  I like simplicity and no fuss.  The She-Devil already has a basket and the Platypus, I expect, will soon have panniers.  If I take my third bike H. Homer Hilsen for a long after work ride, I can use the Riv Saddle Sack, so it won't matter which bike I'll take--I'll be set.

It's so great reading about everyone's experiences.

Roberta

Ray Varella

Feb 5, 2022, 12:33:47 PM2/5/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Roberta,
One thing I may have missed is what sort of work attire do you need to carry?
Two miles is a relatively short distance and unless it’s really humid or raining, you may not need to change.
If your clothes need to be neatly pressed then you will need to keep them neatly folded for your commute.
A basked with some sort of tote bag would likely cover most of your needs and keeping some work clothes at work could cover you for the days you really need to change.
When I commuted 10 miles each way, I changed at work.
When I commuted 3 miles each way, I rode in my work clothes.
Neither job required dress attire.
A backpack in hot weather doesn’t appeal to me but 2 miles gives to tons of flexibility.

Congratulations on your short commute. What a blessing to have so many hours liberated from your workweek.

Ray

Lynn Haas

Feb 5, 2022, 1:34:56 PM2/5/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Rack and panniers. You want a pannier that is easy to remove and carry around for when you stop to run an errand on your way home. Double check to make sure your chosen panniers are compatible with the rack; Tubus and Nitto racks have larger diameter tubing and not all panniers will fit. Get a decent lock and watch some YouTube videos to learn good technique. Even if you park inside during the day, if you ever need to stop anywhere on the way to or from your destination, you will need a lock.

Congratulations on the new commute!

Lynn

Karl Wilcox

Feb 5, 2022, 1:52:18 PM2/5/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I used a large Messenger Bag for a 20 mile commute for many years-- very handy because I did not need racks, and you can just get off the bike and walk to the office.  I carried up to 20 pounds in the Messenger Bag with no discomfort; I would never use a backpack (sweaty back and load too high on the back for comfort).  Alternatively, I have often used front panniers on a load-rider rack (better handling).  At present, I am using a Carradice Nelson Long Flap Saddle bag with a rack under it, but I can now just park my bike in the office, so no need to detach bag.  In High School, I used a Kirtland Large Handlebar Bag, but it really messed with steering!  Experiment.

Christine Rose

Feb 5, 2022, 1:55:20 PM2/5/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
My favourite bags for commuting are from Po Campo. https://www.pocampo.com They make very cute and functional bags for commuters. I use one of their backpack/pannier models for normal commutes. It is super quick to use is as a pannier on my rear rack, and then put it into backpack mode to walk into work. Unfortunately the new model doesn't come in the cute patterns anymore. For smaller loads I adore the trunk bag. It will go in my front basket. Then if I stop for shopping and need more room, I put the shopping in the basket and the bag straps to the top of my rear rack. That one still comes in some cute patterns too!
Christine in Denver

Eric Floden

Feb 5, 2022, 2:01:00 PM2/5/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Here is one article on locking your bike and its bits. Only because I was looking at it earlier today...

ef
Vancouver BC

Jason Fuller

Feb 5, 2022, 3:43:17 PM2/5/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Not much I could add to this already thorough thread, but I did try my hardest to avoid using a pannier but in the end, pannier or two on a rear rack is just pretty unbeatable particularly if you need to carry a laptop (mine is kinda big, which narrowed down my options significantly).  Front 137 basket with a roll-top bag (waterproof if you need it to be) would be my pick for a lighter, more compact commuting load.

ascpgh

Feb 6, 2022, 9:27:13 AM2/6/22
to RBW Owners Bunch

As always, the ways and reasons for folks commuting exceeds any single answer. I'm fascinated by the range of responses from folks who bike commute. Also the things that people must bring with them like laptops. My old roommate works in an executive capacity and he stops by his office on his Saturday chore runs to swap out suits, pressed shirts, ties, etc. with fresh ones and launders the week's used ones. Not perfect but he's on a bike, off the roads five days a week this way.

I've used my Carradice Nelson Longflap as my commute baggage for fifteen years now. I carry my scrubs, a pair of really old Crocs and a small stuff sack with ID, some cash for coffee and other little things all  in a summit bag from REI that is just a tad greater in volume than my Carradice. It's essentially a stuff sack with shoulder straps used by climbers who've dropped their big packs and are down to the minimum for a push to their objective. It lets me unload my Nelson with a single item I carry in on my shoulder. I put my cycling shoes and helmet in the saddlebag to spend the day in the rack. When I change into my scrubs inside, the riding clothes go in the summit bag and into my locker along with the Crocs. I keep two rotating pairs of "work" shoes there.

For the load I need to commute with this has been the best answer and least encumbering of either me or the bike including effect on handling.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

Roberta

Feb 6, 2022, 11:17:26 AM2/6/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
These days it's semi-casual, but I still need to look sort-of professional.  I wear my top and  just change my shoes and pants because they can get dirty on the trip.  Last week I got one leg soaked when a driver ran over a big puddle at full speed.

I think I'll keep shoes in the office, so will only be totting pants and lunch.  I am going to try Tom's bag in a pannier option on my Platypus, and with the bag in a basket option on the She-Devil.

I loved reading everyone's responses and seeing your enthusiasm.  Thank you.

Roberta

rlti...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2022, 12:27:15 PM2/6/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
On my commutes I also carried a large thermos full of coffee since our office coffee was pretty bad. It added weight but coffee is worth the extra effort.

I basically work from home now so I have to find excuses to get out and do errands throughout the week to ride.

Robert Tilley
San Diego, CA

Sent from my iPhone

Karl Wilcox

Feb 6, 2022, 12:40:40 PM2/6/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
It's slightly off the topic of commuting bags, but over the many years I have commuted via pedals (from age 17 to age 61), I discovered that a single speed or fixed gear commute bike was ideal: much fewer repairs, no malfunctions, and really strong wheels (the latter cannot be overstressed-- no pun intended)!  The Rivendell 'Quickbeam' was perfect (with moustache bars to get leverage for accelerations and easy hills).  The fixed gear is less ideal if you have long steep hills, but most commutes do not.  I found that fixed gear was far better in terms of both speed and efficiency on my commutes.  Now my commute is uphill most of the way, so I am using my Teesdale touring bike, but the fixed gear was the best ever for all my other flat or rolling commutes.

Emily Guise

Feb 7, 2022, 5:04:08 PM2/7/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Congrats on the new commute, Roberta! Biking to work is so great, and now that I'm working from home, I miss it a lot. My own stuff carrying evolution went from backpack -> backpack in milk crate on a rear rack -> Dutch style double panniers -> Ortleib pannier -> tote-bag style pannier (more professional looking than an Ortleib off the bike) -> back to a backpack inside the Dutch style panniers, which kept it dry and also left room for errands on the way home. I also had baskets up front, because baskets are the best.
Message has been deleted

Toshi Takeuchi

Feb 7, 2022, 6:56:28 PM2/7/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Panniers for sure, and I would recommend getting Pitlock(for wheels) /pitstoppers (or equivalent) for the allen bolts so that you can feel comfortable going in for a quick shopping trip without having your wheels and saddle stolen etc (and not having to carry a bunch of cables with your bike lock).  I am lucky to be able to commute on my Cheviot at least a couple times a week.

Toshi

On Mon, Feb 7, 2022 at 3:48 PM KenP <krpey...@gmail.com> wrote:
Roberta,
  Did anyone make a suggestion to develop a to-do/to-bring checklist?    It took me a few months to develop a routine, gradually finding out what is needed for each trip and season.
Your needs will vary.  I have to remember my lights and to charge them the night before, my clothes, though I keep a set at my desk, water, bike tools, spare tube, lock and key, sun lotion, a magazine to read at lunch (and the bag lunch); we have to take our temperature at home before we can enter the office.  Lots of things to remember.  So, a list helps.
Inevitably I will forget something.  Just this week I forgot to bring a belt and now there's a new use for a bunch of Irish straps.
Ken

[...]

John Hawrylak

Feb 7, 2022, 7:52:46 PM2/7/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Roberta

If only pants are required to be carried, then you RBW small saddlesack should suffice and they would on a flat level surface.  If not maybe the medium saddlesack they sell.

I was always told to avoid carrying extra weight on your body like a backpack with a load.  The load is better on the frame

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ

Roberta

Feb 7, 2022, 8:14:12 PM2/7/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is my third week manually commuting.

The first week, I split the commute days between walking and riding. Sure, it's cold on a bike when it's 25* , but I was to my destination in 12 minutes vs 32-34 walk (you have to stop a lot at red lights in the city). I did not like the backpack, because riding generated a lot of heat and my back got moist.    Last week it rained nearly every day, so I walked or walked/bussed.  If it stops raining tonight, I'll take my Platy tomorrow.  Or, whenever it dries out.

I received a couple of generous offers to try now-unneeded panniers and backpack/pannier combos, and I'm going to try the panniers,  meeting generous person tomorrow for the hand-off.  I already used Tom's bag in a bag suggestion and it worked well.  I'll probably bring all my shoes/pants on day one and wear my shirts.  John, I'll probably put th small saddle sack on the Homer to switch it up between that and Platy for long after work rides.  The She-devil is great for in town, but I'd rather ride my Rivs for pure pleasure.

Toshi, I invested in HexLox that BicycleBelleDingDing (Leah) recommended.  I guess it's time to put them on!

Emily and Ezree, I was really tempted by PoCampo's Bergen pannier, but got other offers, so will try local one. Bergen is practical and pretty.  Perhaps I need another bike (not) to justify a Bergen purchase...

I'll post a picture once the Platy is setup.  I'm sure that  come springtime, my commute home will be about 20 miles. Yea!

Roberta

Feb 11, 2022, 6:59:08 PM2/11/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm finally set up and have been riding the entire week on my Platypus.  I loved the days when I walked, but it is nice to leave the house later than I planned and still get to work earlier than expected.  Even over the three weeks of manual daily commuting, I've already shortened my walk and ride times.  The only thing holding me back are the red lights!  And, as long as the Platy is I can fit it in the elevator without fuss.

You can see on my bike Dynamo lights, lots of different types of reflectors for both me and the bike and my newest love--that Ortlieb pannier, gracious gift from local RBW member.  It is a front pannier, but it's a great size for me as rear luggage.  I'm loving the pannier more than I thought I would.  I'm using Tom's suggestion of packing a bag and just placing in the pannier.

Tomorrow is to be warm and I'm planning a long ride away from the office on my H. Homer Hilsen, which needs some love.  Hope you all have a great weekend.

Roberta
PlatyAtTheOffice.jpg

Patrick Moore

Feb 11, 2022, 8:36:35 PM2/11/22
to rbw-owners-bunch
Kudos. It's always nice to have your bike comfortably parked by your desk. And it's hard to beat Ortliebs for price/performance/durability, even looks.

Patrick Moore, who works at home, but can sneak out for mid-afternoon rides in the bosque, as today.

Dorothy C

Feb 12, 2022, 10:15:30 AM2/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I am working from home at the moment but will soon be going back to the office. Unfortunately we had to move from the house we were renting which was 1 1/4 miles from my office, where I could bike every day, to the other side of the Santa Susana pass, in late 2020. My office is in Chatsworth CA, but we now live in Simi Valley.
The only bike route through is the Santa Susana pass and SR-27 - Topanga Canyon Blvd, which I am too nervous to ride. It is also very hilly in the middle.
I plan to ride to the Metrolink train and take my bike one stop, then ride from there. I love bike commuting, such a great way to start and end the day.

Joe Mullins

Feb 12, 2022, 11:36:26 AM2/12/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I’m familiar with that road and it’s narrow with zero bike lane and lots of crazy LA drivers…no fun at all! I think riding the metro is a great idea. Every time I see the metro go by my place in Los Angeles it looks nearly empty. This is such a car-centric city 😞.

Joe in Los Angeles

On Feb 12, 2022, at 7:15 AM, Dorothy C <doroth...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am working from home at the moment but will soon be going back to the office. Unfortunately we had to move from the house we were renting which was 1 1/4 miles from my office, where I could bike every day, to the other side of the Santa Susana pass, in late 2020. My office is in Chatsworth CA, but we now live in Simi Valley.

Corwin

Feb 14, 2022, 4:57:06 PM2/14/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Santa Susana pass. I have not visited the area in many years. But that brings back memories of my first century - more than 45 years ago. Started at PCH and Topanga Canyon Blvd. Up Topanga Canyon, north to where the 118 is today. East to Thousand Oaks and back to PCH via Decker Canyon Road. Most vivid memories from that ride were a guy smoking a cigarette after we climbed Santa Susana pass and my eating five quarter pounders in Thousand Oaks (had not eaten anything that day).

Not suggesting Topanga Canyon Blvd (or any other street) is rideable or unrideable.

Corwin