69 cm A Homer Hilsen for $1100 on eBay (not mine)

Julian Westerhout

Jan 18, 2020, 6:57:49 PM1/18/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
There's an orange AHH complete bike (typical Riv build) reported to be a 69 cm frame currently on eBay. Some beausage, but asking price is $1100 and open to offers. Looking at the seller history, he's re-listed it several times, changed the listing from 68 to 69 cm, and dropped hundreds in price. Auction ends afternoon of Sunday Jan. 18.

I think this is a good deal for a tall rider.

I have no connection to bike or seller (although I am a happy owner of a 67 cm AHH, and if I did not have that I'd likely buy this one!).

Julian Westerhout
Bloomington, IL

Eric Daume

Jan 18, 2020, 7:25:53 PM1/18/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That headtube looks awfully short for a 69cm frame.

Kainalu V. -Brooklyn NY

Jan 18, 2020, 8:39:31 PM1/18/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yup, looks smallish for a huge.
-Kai

MCT

Jan 18, 2020, 9:18:18 PM1/18/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Agree the head tube is a little short for a 69. I know they are out there, but not many single top tubes with a 69.

Mark Etze

Jan 18, 2020, 10:40:53 PM1/18/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

I thought it looked small on his first time around when it was listed as a 68cm and asked these questions.

"Hello, could you measure the seat tube, from the center of the cranks to the top of the seat tube where the seat post goes in?
Is there any rust?Thanks,"

His verbose response.

"68 cm
Rust free
Thanks"

Julian Westerhout

Jan 19, 2020, 10:06:28 AM1/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
In looking at the eBay photos carefully and measuring the head tubes on the photo and on my 67cm AHH and comparing proportions I think this is possibly/probably a 67, not a 69 cm. I also measured my 67 cm's seat tube and bottom of BB to very top of the seat tube lug is 69 cm -- so perhaps that's how he measured?

I'm often surprised at how poorly so many sellers describe and  photograph their items  given that it's not that hard to do it right.

Julian Westerhout
Bloomington, Il

Bruce Curry

Jan 20, 2020, 10:39:09 AM1/20/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks like a 64 to me. I reached out to the seller several times and have yet to receive a response. Not sure how the seller has a 100% rating.

James Warren

Jan 20, 2020, 4:04:10 PM1/20/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

My guess is 65 cm.

> On Jan 20, 2020, at 7:39 AM, Bruce Curry <curry...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Looks like a 64 to me. I reached out to the seller several times and have yet to receive a response. Not sure how the seller has a 100% rating.

MCT

Jan 20, 2020, 6:14:04 PM1/20/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
The price for it and no one buying it shows how low the used steel bike market has gone. You have to bag someone to buy it from you.
Message has been deleted

Reid Echols

Jan 20, 2020, 9:54:04 PM1/20/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Welp, I suppose I made a bad investment, then. Offer made and accepted...

If the 65cm size (ideal for me) winds up to be off, I can at least promise better photos :)

Reid in Austin

Julian Westerhout

Jan 20, 2020, 9:55:36 PM1/20/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Semi-anonymous MCT,

I wish all posters here gave at least their name, and all sellers posted lots of good info.

It looks like it has now sold. I think the seller was also limited by trying to sell it at the worst time of the year, not cleaned, poorly photographed, not measured accurately (and measurement not photographed), along with a short, not very detailed description. I don't disagree that the market is soft, but IMHO this bike went for less than it could have due to the seller's lackluster efforts.

Julian Westerhout
Bloomington, Il

Reid Echols

Jan 20, 2020, 10:07:52 PM1/20/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I’ll agree with Julian, and as a bargain hound that’s exactly the kind of listing I look for. May well pay for it on this one (or another in the future), but in my experience Rivs hold their value fairly well when presented and described accurately (and, perhaps, with a bit of the RBW romance).

Look for parts from said Homer here soon, and perhaps a 64 Ram...

Reid

Joe Bernard

Jan 20, 2020, 10:31:04 PM1/20/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well it may not be a windfall price for the seller, but it's certainly good on the buyer's end. That's a nice bike, enjoy!

Mark Etze

Jan 21, 2020, 8:20:36 AM1/21/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I see the seller changed the title description from 69cm to 67cm. Did you ask him to measure it again Reid?  I think you're safe with it being a 65cm, it just didn't look that big to me but that could be do to the bad camera angles. If ends up being a 67cm, let's talk.

Reid Echols

Jan 21, 2020, 8:56:28 AM1/21/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Mark,

We will indeed, if it ends up being too large. I had the seller send me a photo, though, and it looks like he was measuring to the lug point for the 67cm number. Center to center is spot on at 65, to my eyes. At the price I offered, I figured it was worth the risk, so we shall see what we shall see.

The trick now will be to decide whether I sell the Sam or my Ram if the AHH works out...

Reid

Mark Etze

Jan 21, 2020, 12:17:49 PM1/21/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

Isn't the AHH most similar to the Sam, but in between them?  Looks like your choices are get rid of both or keep all three.

Reid Echols

Jan 21, 2020, 1:47:09 PM1/21/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
It’s the Goldilocks dilemma, Mark :)

I could set up most of them to be most things, but I like bikes set up for specific things. If Homer is fast enough, it’ll be a drop bar quick bike that fits me a bit better than the Ram. If not, and it clears my preferred tire, it’ll take the Sam’s commuting gig. Not the worst problem to have to solve...

James Warren

Jan 21, 2020, 6:03:27 PM1/21/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Awesome. Can’t wait too see your good photos! There is little better than a FULLY LUGGED original HIlsen. And yours will be orange!

Outstanding buy. Have fun.

Ian A

Jan 22, 2020, 12:17:12 AM1/22/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Good research and decisiveness, Reid. Looks like you acquired a Toyo (or Waterford?) Hilsen for less than Cross Check money. The photos aren't well shot, but the frame and paint look nice. Seat tube decal might be slightly marred if I'm seeing that properly, but that will save you the trouble of marring it. Components look great too.

Looking forward to seeing photos.

IanA Alberta Canada

Reid Echols

Feb 3, 2020, 7:26:00 PM2/3/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well, it got here folks! Looks likely to be a Toyo frame, that I swear feels lighter than my old Waterford Homer did (perhaps this top tube wasn’t reinforced like the other one was). Some definite beausage but the parts seem almost new—must have been recently rebuilt at a shop. Here it is as it arrived, though it’s already having some swaps done. Looks to be a 65 by my measurements, as I expected. Now for the difficult choice of selling the Sam or the Rambouillet...

886DA492-CCB4-4B57-B647-273F79F357CB.jpeg
F2E126DE-A078-4FBA-AC36-C0FB12AC3BD4.jpeg
15EDD648-76EB-4720-B32E-3A0D5004D5B5.jpeg

Joe Bernard

Feb 3, 2020, 7:31:34 PM2/3/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Gorgeous!

Bill F

Feb 3, 2020, 8:26:15 PM2/3/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Great find!

Paul Richardson

Feb 4, 2020, 6:41:45 PM2/4/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
lookin' good.  i bet the seller could've netted a lot more if he'd posted pics like this.  glad to see what it actually looks like (and confirm that it is definitely not a 69!) after watching it be listed, then relisted, then relisted...

ride on

paul
takoma park, md.

James Warren

Feb 4, 2020, 8:05:21 PM2/4/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Reid, what you have there is one of the best bikes ever made.

> On Feb 3, 2020, at 4:26 PM, Reid Echols <reide...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Well, it got here folks! Looks likely to be a Toyo frame, that I swear feels lighter than my old Waterford Homer did (perhaps this top tube wasn’t reinforced like the other one was). Some definite beausage but the parts seem almost new—must have been recently rebuilt at a shop. Here it is as it arrived, though it’s already having some swaps done. Looks to be a 65 by my measurements, as I expected. Now for the difficult choice of selling the Sam or the Rambouillet...

> <886DA492-CCB4-4B57-B647-273F79F357CB.jpeg>
> <F2E126DE-A078-4FBA-AC36-C0FB12AC3BD4.jpeg>
> <15EDD648-76EB-4720-B32E-3A0D5004D5B5.jpeg>

Hetchins52

Feb 5, 2020, 2:54:59 AM2/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I thought that the Toyo frames had mounts for 3 water bottle cages. This one does not.
Does the serial number begin with AH or AH0?

Enjoy!
David Lipsky
[56cm AHH. Toyo, I think!]

On Monday, February 3, 2020 at 4:26:00 PM UTC-8, Reid Echols wrote:
Well, it got here folks! Looks likely to be a Toyo frame, that I swear feels lighter than my old Waterford Homer did (perhaps this top tube wasn’t reinforced like the other one was). ....

Mark E

Feb 5, 2020, 8:05:33 AM2/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
It certainly does look much better in your pictures. I am glad I take a chance on it hoping it was a 67cm.

Joe Bernard

Feb 5, 2020, 10:45:36 AM2/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
David, my recollection - which is hazy at best - is the original Toyo Homers came with two sets of bottle bosses, then Waterford added a third.

Reid Echols

Feb 5, 2020, 12:40:27 PM2/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well now I’m curious. I’ll have to check the serial number, but what indicates a Toyo/Waterford frame in that regard?

Not that I’m overly concerned; it’s a wonderful bike and bargain wherever it came from!

Reid Echols

Feb 5, 2020, 10:48:52 PM2/5/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well, here it is after a wheel, bar, and drivetrain swap. Fits 42s a treat, and I may well throw some fenders on if it keeps raining here. Rides so, so well. With my strangely long torso these longer Rivs work very well for me. I may pick up a 1cm longer stem down the line, but for now this is quite comfy.

82F2D69B-068E-4B69-B9FF-5B1E31F24334.jpeg

Mark E

Feb 6, 2020, 7:09:26 AM2/6/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I couldn't see how it could get better but it just did. I like the changes.

I am curious about the difference between Toyo and Waterford frames. I just bought a blue AHH from a list member that has 3 water bottle mounts.

Mike Williams

Feb 7, 2020, 12:21:31 PM2/7/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Reid, what’s the saddle height/ your PBH in your updated photo( after you swapped tires/ bars). Thanks. -Mike

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 5, 2020, at 10:49 PM, Reid Echols <reide...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Well, here it is after a wheel, bar, and drivetrain swap. Fits 42s a treat, and I may well throw some fenders on if it keeps raining here. Rides so, so well. With my strangely long torso these longer Rivs work very well for me. I may pick up a 1cm longer stem down the line, but for now this is quite comfy.

> <82F2D69B-068E-4B69-B9FF-5B1E31F24334.jpeg>

Reid Echols

Feb 7, 2020, 1:27:20 PM2/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Something like 84 saddle, 94 PBH, Mike. I'll confess to not being super precise on that count, since my proportions don't always map onto a PBH-only sizing method.

Dorothy C

Feb 7, 2020, 1:27:49 PM2/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Lovely. The brown bar tape and gum hoods are much more harmonious with the orange frame.

Bill F

Feb 7, 2020, 7:15:36 PM2/7/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks great. What bag is that? Looks like a good size. I am using a Jandd mountain wedge and it's a little small.