Albatross Bars and stem size

Russell Duncan

Jul 29, 2022, 9:27:38 AM7/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Greetings all,

I just joined the group, and I'd like to ask the collective about their experiences converting a a drop bar road bike for use with a Riv Albatross bar, and specifically the size of stem to use. Its not easy to do a search on this without weeding through many FS or WTB posts for Albatross bars.

First, the bike that is being retrofitted: it is a 1977 Trek TX500, size 49 and 53 c-to-c seat and top tubes respectively. I believe that it was the smallest size Trek available in their first(?) year of operation, and It's a MUSA frame.

Second, the person that I'm building it for and its intended use: my partner who already has a road bike with drop bars and a mountain bike with mountain bike style bars. My thought was to build her something different and more like the ride of my classic 3-spd Raleigh that I like riding about town on.

I have the handlebars and they're currently set-up with a 1970s TTT road stem, size 65 mm by my measurement. This seems too short and I was thinking that a 90 mm maybe a better choice with how far back the handlebars will be for a comfortable ride.

As to shifters, I'm now settled on Shimano bar end shifters. First, I tried Paul Thumbies, but I know that she'll complain as even I think that it's somewhat awkward shifting barcons retrofitted as thumb shifters. I know some swear by their use but, I also know what she'll come to like in the end, no muss, no fuss. Hell, I may end up putting shifters on the stem for her, which will not be a bad thing. As Crumpie says, Just Ride the Bloody Bike.

So, suggestions please, and feel free to contact me directly.

Russell Duncan
Leverett, MA and Saratoga, WY

Jake Freeland

Aug 9, 2022, 1:16:04 PM8/9/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have used Albatross as follows --

110mm Tallux on a XL Crust Lightning Bolt with bar end shifter.
85mm FacePlater on a 59 Atlantis with shifter mounted to the stem.
Both stems felt right for the specific bike. You may end up having to buy twice. Keep the other stem around for future projects!

In an email from 25 Feb 2022, Will recommends starting stem length for Albatross handlebars at 10cm.

"Here are some starting points for Tallux stem lengths on our Allrounders and Country bikes - if you're getting a Hillbike, decrease a centimeter; if you're getting a road Riv, increase a centimeter. This is assuming normal leg/torso proportions.
  • Albatross bars - 10cm"

Glen

Aug 9, 2022, 2:08:17 PM8/9/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
On my 64cm Toyo Atlantis I went with a 13cm stem when I replaced my Noodles on a 10cm stem with Albas. It works great.

Regarding shifters, I recently swapped out the Albas for Billy Bars and went with indexed Shimano trigger shifters instead of barends for the rear and really like that setup if you want to avoid bar ends.