HUGE Rivendell archive update: Catalogs, flyers, brochures and more

Eric Marth

Sep 2, 2021, 1:08:47 PM9/2/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've spent the last several months scanning my collection of Rivendell catalogs, flyers, ads and brochures.

Reed, who hosts the archive of Rivendell Readers at http://notfine.com/rivreader/, kindly added all of my scans to the site. Now there is quite a trove of Rivendell ephemera.

He created a new link (the old one still works!): http://notfine.com/rivendell/

Enjoy reading! All of the files are text searchable. If you have anything that we haven't included please send me a DM.

  • All 20 Rivendell catalogs
    •  Catalogs from 1996-2018
  • Frame brochures
    • 1995 frames mailer
    • Atlantis and Atlantis 2
    • Rambouillet
    • Romulus
    • Rivendell Frame Brochure
    • An early frame paint chart
    • I'm missing the Cheviot brochure
  • Flyers
    • Nine flyers from 2002–2009
    • I'm missing Hiawatha Holidays No. 1
    • An add for the reader from Vintage Bicycle Quarterly
    • A 2014 Cheviot ad

Mathieu Brown

Sep 2, 2021, 1:11:13 PM9/2/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Looking forward to digging-in.

Thank you for the time and effort, Eric.

MATHIEU BROWN

David Person

Sep 2, 2021, 1:55:28 PM9/2/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Quite the labor of love.  Thanks for the time and effort it took to accomplish.

mrb

Sep 2, 2021, 2:40:43 PM9/2/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Amazing! Thank you so much!

Mike Packard

Sep 2, 2021, 3:20:29 PM9/2/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is so awesome yall. Thanks so much for doing it. There's so much entertainment and wisdom in this archive.

Mike
Austin TX

Yankeebird

Sep 2, 2021, 3:24:21 PM9/2/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I just sent you the Cheviot brochure to your email

Yankeebird

Sep 2, 2021, 3:38:04 PM9/2/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
that 2007 #19 catalogue changed my life. Nice to see it again!

Eric Marth

Sep 2, 2021, 3:39:14 PM9/2/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks all for the kind words!

And thanks, Yankeebird, for the missing Chev brochure and Robert for offering to loan me the first iteration of Hiawathan Holidays.

Peter Adler

Sep 2, 2021, 5:20:08 PM9/2/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Might be a good idea for a moderator to sticky this post, for future reference.

Peter "knowing the info is out there doesn't help, if you can't find it" Adler
Berkeley, CA/USA

Matthew Williams

Sep 2, 2021, 5:36:06 PM9/2/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Oh, this is great. Thank you, Eric!

Eric Marth

Sep 2, 2021, 7:53:43 PM9/2/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I hope you all enjoy, these catalogs are really cool. Great wisdom and writing, cool parts through the ages. Heartbreaking wool prices.

IMG_5960.JPG

Benjamin L. Kelley

Sep 3, 2021, 2:31:26 PM9/3/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Even got a shoutout on the newsletter this week.
Excellent work!.

--ben in KC

Olivier Chételat

Sep 3, 2021, 3:59:29 PM9/3/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Much much impressive archiving work. Superthanks!
-Oli in SF

esoterica etc

Sep 3, 2021, 4:21:54 PM9/3/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Eric,

Just another list member who's sending you heaps of thanks for taking this project on and sharing with the community. Thank you Thank You THANK YOU!!  Cheers,

~Mark
Raleigh, NC

On Sep 3, 2021, at 15:59, Olivier Chételat <oli...@gmail.com> wrote:

Much much impressive archiving work. Superthanks!

EricP

Sep 3, 2021, 6:25:07 PM9/3/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for doing this. That took a lot of work.

Notice that you didn't include the Sam Hillborne brochure or the small folded piece that has a couple of short articles (the shoes ruse) and then the other side has the bikes available.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN

Eric Marth

Sep 3, 2021, 6:40:11 PM9/3/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Peace and love, everyone!

EricP -- I don't have a Hillborne brochure or the other small folded article pamphlet thing! DM sent ;)

Ryan

Sep 4, 2021, 5:19:12 PM9/4/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
That is a labor of love...thanks for doing this , Eric. All the best. Now go ride your bike in what I hope is lovely fall weather😊

Dee Dee

Sep 6, 2021, 12:11:22 PM9/6/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Woo! This is great, thanks!

-Danny

Patrick M

Sep 6, 2021, 12:12:43 PM9/6/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you for putting in the time, this is awesome!

Pat

Cyclofiend Jim

Sep 7, 2021, 1:13:09 AM9/7/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Unfortunately, GoogleGroups has dropped the ability to "Pin" posts in group.s

Guess they figure the search algorithm can find anything....

ahh well...

- J / admin

Cyclofiend Jim

Sep 7, 2021, 1:35:44 AM9/7/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow.
Eric - that is a wonderful contribution.

I don't think I ever got a Cheviot brochure, and I have the Hiawatha Holidays No. II, but not No. 1

I've got a few ephemeral bits and bobs, on my list to scan - just flipped quickly through my box o' stuff and found:
Original Banana Bag instructions (similar in style to the Boxy Bag instructions), some WoolyWarm stuff, a few one sheets on various bits.  There was also a tiny little fold-up products "catalog" that I have a few of. A few paper Atlantis catalog handouts.

- Jim

On Thursday, September 2, 2021 at 10:08:47 AM UTC-7 eric...@gmail.com wrote:
RBW emphemera to scan 2021 upl.jpg

EricP

Sep 7, 2021, 10:18:38 AM9/7/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have already mailed the Hillborne brochure and the small fold up catalog to Eric for him to scan.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN

Eric Marth

Dec 14, 2021, 12:49:58 PM12/14/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi all -- Quick update: I've scanned some additional material and Reed has added it to the Rivendell archive at http://notfine.com/rivendell

Brochures
  • Rivendell Safety Sheet
  • Sam Hillborne brochure
  • The Rivendell Frame booklet 2002
Flyers
  • 2000 Hiawatha Holidays
  • 2008 Frames
  • 2012 Comfort
  • 2014 Holiday Handout
  • 2017 Holiday Flyer

Marty Gierke, Stewartstown PA

Dec 22, 2021, 10:55:42 AM12/22/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Some rare BOB Gazettes popped up today and I made an offer, but the seller pulled the listing. Issues 5,6 and 7 would have been fun to have and scan. I hope they will re-surface here. I grabbed a few front page screen shots - better than nothing, and kind of a tease. Issue 6 talks about keeping BOB on life support. Issue 7 (the last?) hints at a business making "BOBcyles". This was late 1994...Rivendell was about to emerge.

Marty

s-l1600.jpeg
dfsdfg.jpeg
fawerr.jpeg

Eric Marth

Dec 22, 2021, 12:16:41 PM12/22/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
It sure would be great to have all the BoB Gazettes scanned and archived!

Marty Gierke, Stewartstown PA

Dec 22, 2021, 2:57:29 PM12/22/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
An early BOB gathering. Thanks for the memories...

sdfsgdfgsdfg.jpeg

John A. Bennett

Dec 23, 2021, 8:59:16 AM12/23/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Great to see this again, Eric. I might have a copy...somewhere.

Thanks!

John

Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 5.57.30 AM.png

Eric Marth

Jul 8, 2022, 10:28:27 AM7/8/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi everyone. Small update: Reed added the Hunqapillar brochure to the archive.

Johnny Burrell

Sep 19, 2022, 6:56:44 PM9/19/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've been trolling through old Riv Reader's, some fun reading I remember doing a long time ago when those were new. Thanks for sharing and archiving!

Question though, and it's probably an easy one. I own a Hunqapillar and love it. When was the Hunq offered? What years and how many years? Any idea how many frames were sold?

Eric Myers

Jan 7, 2023, 8:38:27 PM1/7/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Has the archive gone offline?  I get "Site not found" when trying to reach http://notfine.com/rivendell.

Kim Hetzel

Jan 7, 2023, 8:45:51 PM1/7/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Eric,

Is this all of the BOB Gazettes ?

Kim Hetzel
Yelm, WA.

Eric Marth

Jan 8, 2023, 1:41:59 PM1/8/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Kim — Yes, that's all of them. Big thanks to Marty Gierke for scanning all of them :)

Kim Hetzel

Jan 8, 2023, 1:46:18 PM1/8/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Great to hear that Eric.

Kim Hetzel.

Patrick Moore

Jan 8, 2023, 5:49:24 PM1/8/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That 1994 Gazette is a blast from the past; I remember receiving it and reading about Pino Morroni as I was probably Bob # 4301. Randy Quaid and Meg Ryan owned XO-1s; I either missed that 30 years ago or didn't know who Randy Quaid or Meg Ryan were -- quite possible. And I remember WordPerfect; possibly Wordstar too.

Thanks to Marty for scanning these.

$74 for a Rivendell jersey????

Patrick Moore

Ant Warland

Dec 11, 2023, 3:00:34 AM12/11/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi all, just wanted to say a massive thanks to everyone involved in putting this archive together. I'm soon to be an Appaloosa owner and am thoroughly enjoying learning about the company's history through the early Readers.

In case anyone wants to download the entire archive (all 3.2 Gb of it) for reading offline I was able to do so using wget with the following command:

wget -r -np -nH -R index.html* https://notfine.com/rivreader/

Here's how I got wget working on my Windows 10 PC:

1) Downloaded the latest wget EXE for my x64 OS
2) Copied that file to my PATH directory (C:\Window\System32\) - note your PATH variable might be different, check it with command 'path' in cmd (see below).
3) Opened command prompt (click start, type 'cmd', hit Enter)
4) Navigated to my downloads directory with command 'cd Downloads'. Again this might differ for you.
5) copied and pasted (right click in command prompt) the wget command above

This creates a new directory 'rivreader' and downloads every file and folder from https://notfine.com/rivreader/

If you want to download specific directory only (E.g. Ads), use the command:

wget -r -np -nH --cut-dirs=1 -R index.html* https://notfine.com/rivreader/Ads/

Note that https://notfine.com/rivreader/ has identical contents to https://notfine.com/rivendell/ so either one is good.

Hope this is helpful,
Ant

Dan F

Dec 14, 2023, 11:37:38 AM12/14/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow, what a treat. Thank you, Eric!

Chris L

Dec 14, 2023, 5:26:00 PM12/14/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think the Hunqapillar was first offered around 2011 and I have one from the first batch, bought from the original owner a few years ago.

Just as an interesting observation, I've been following RBW since 2011 and for much of that time, most of the opinions I encountered outside this small community were not overwhelmingly positive.  Now that the whole gravel thing has taken off, I've found a ton of respect and admiration for Rivendell.  Bike shop employees actually get excited when they see mine and a couple have expressed interest, if I ever consider parting with it.  One guy, who owns some very cool bikes and even started his own bike company, said he knows several guys with Hunqapillars and that would be interested in mine.

Eric Norris

Dec 14, 2023, 5:49:51 PM12/14/23
to Eric Norris
I guess it’s just a reflection of the fact that we all change at least a bit over time, but one of the “Rivendell Frame” brochures includes these very specific statements, which are at odds with Rivendell’s many fine TIG-welded models (looking at you, Clem):

Grant Petersen in the brochure:
PastedGraphic-1.png

And:
PastedGraphic-2.png

Ah well. Remember when Steve Jobs said that anyone who provided a stylus to use with a touchscreen was doing it wrong? Apple sells tons of styluses these days.

--Eric Norris
campyo...@me.com
Insta: @CampyOnlyGuy
YouTube: YouTube.com/CampyOnlyGuy

Dec 14, 2023, 11:09:19 PM12/14/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Radavist (John Watson) has surely contributed to the Hunqs recent popularity