Is a Gus the right choice for me? Would a Platypus be better?

Jacob Byard

Nov 12, 2022, 8:55:02 AM11/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've got the new bike itch and have shortlisted a Gus or possibly a Platypus. The Gus has called to me for a couple of years but something or other always came up.

The purpose of the new bike would be mostly to ride 25-35 miles on paved country roads. I live in central Pennsylvania and most of the unpaved stuff is rougher than I care to ride. There's trails that I do ride but any bike with 45mm tires can handle that. Once a month I'll do a 50-60 mile ride.

I do C level group rides but nothing over 12-13 mph. Frequent in town rides to get food/ coffee. Maybe some overnight camping. My solo riding usually sits around 11 mph unless I'm in a hurry.

My torso and arms are long so reach has always been an issue. I know the Gus has a long toptube and I think the fit would be a bit better. I'm not a fan of super upright positioning. My hand/ wrist got broke in a fall last year so I like bars with lots of sweep (Jones Loop is wonderful).

Gearing and tires being equal would the Gus perform as well on the road as the Platypus?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Jacob

Johnny Alien

Nov 12, 2022, 9:10:11 AM11/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Gus seems a little bit overbuilt for the type of riding you describe. For what you described I would go with the slightly lighter built Susie or a Clem.

Brian Turner

Nov 12, 2022, 9:51:30 AM11/12/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Gus owner here. For the type of riding you’re describing, I would think a Platy would be the better choice. Gus is overbuilt and suited for fat, chunkier tires to handle rougher terrain. You mentioned not liking the super upright position, and the Gus (with swept back bars) IS super upright. That said, a Platypus will also be a very upright riding position, so keep that in mind.

- Brian

On Nov 12, 2022, at 9:10 AM, Johnny Alien <johnny....@gmail.com> wrote:

The Gus seems a little bit overbuilt for the type of riding you describe. For what you described I would go with the slightly lighter built Susie or a Clem.

Jacob Byard

Nov 12, 2022, 9:52:33 AM11/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's for sure overkill. I've got a Surly Bridge Club so it's kind of a Clem. The Susie is probably a little too light weight for me. Technically I would be in the limits but with a load I'd be over. I've also got a ton of 1-1/8" stems so I'd save some money and be able to quickly dial in my fit.

Richard Rose

Nov 12, 2022, 10:00:30 AM11/12/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
This will be interesting to watch. I’ve not ridden either but; Platy is prettier (lugs), a true step through (bonus!), maybe a bit lighter, in stock, less $$ & on paper more “roadish”. But, extra long wheelbase of Gus/Suzie might give an even smoother ride, along with bigger rubber. I assume the bottom bracket is lower on the Platy - again more roadish. Can’t go wrong…

Sent from my iPhone

Mark C

Nov 12, 2022, 11:40:57 AM11/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Platypus sounds perfect for you. I got the Rosco Platypus with the same geometry and am amazed at how versatile it is. It is turning into my favorite mountain bike, and for everything else too. Yes, the "top tube" is shorter than the Gus, but far longer than most bikes. I was surprised that I needed about a 110 stem extension, but that is with Bosco bars; you should be able to use about anything on a Platypus with the right stem, at least if you don't buy too small a size.

The other big thing is bottom bracket height (drop). You don't need the higher bottom bracket, and I certainly prefer the lower one. If you do still want the longer reach and longer wheelbase, it would be worth conidering the Clem too.

Jacob Byard

Nov 12, 2022, 12:36:05 PM11/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for all the replies. It has given me some new things to consider.

@Mark C- I'm tall enough to ride the largest frame in either the Platy or Gus. Then reach comes into play. Right now I'm using a 120mm stem on a large Surly Bridge Club and could probably stand a 130mm or even a 140mm. I've also got an Ibis hardtail in an XL size. With the sloping top tube I clear the stand over and I'm able to use a short 60mm stem for a very comfortable reach. The high bottom bracket doesn't bother me and in my local area it's a plus. All the trails here are very rocky so the extra height is welcomed. The Ibis would be the bike normally ride on those trails but at times I do pick the wrong bike.

@Brian- I've used Billie bars on my Long Haul Trucker and found them comfortable but they made me so upright that I never got out of the wind and it felt like my pedaling changed to a less efficient position. I had Doom Bars make me a copy of the Uncle Ron's Ortho bars and put them on my Crust Lighting Bolt and ran into the same problem. True those bikes are not designed around a hugely sweptback bar so the Gus/ Platy would be better suited. I like the width and angle of the Jones bar or even the Crust Juan Martin bar. Those are probably my first choice. I don't think I'd be as upright with either.

I can't imagine any bike being more overbuilt than my Bridge Club. I've loaded that thing down with full racks/ panniers with zero flex. I'm heavy and have never managed to get disc rub. Have to say it's a well built bike.

Brian Turner

Nov 12, 2022, 1:11:00 PM11/12/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Another factor of Gus to consider: tire size. You say you would be riding the largest frame size in either, but would want tires suited more for paved riding. The Gus is such a huge bike ( I feel like my Medium 54cm is massive), and the XL sizes just furthers their massiveness. No slight to anyone running an XL Gus, but I think even with 2.5 - 2.8 tires, they look small and disproportional on the XL size because everything is so spread out. Maybe fitted with some fenders to take up some of the room it could look better, but I just find it a bit odd-looking and I would say the same for all the long wheelbase Riv models and skinny(er) tires. All that extra space just begs for fat rubber, IMO. I know it probably comes across as superficial and picky, but I'm a stickler for function and the form of proportion when it comes to bikes.

Jacob Byard

Nov 12, 2022, 1:39:19 PM11/12/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That’s a valid point. I hate valid points. The head says Platy and the heart says Gus.

I run the 700x55 Rene Herse on the BC most of the time. My alternative wheelset is 27.5x2.8. Sometimes it feels like the 55’s are too plush? That probably sounds crazy but I’ve never cared for them. Too expensive to not use though.

I wonder what the wheelbase is on an XL Gus? The Ibis is a long bike.

I like fenders but never seem to use them. I’ve got a 1Up rack and the arms clamp on the tire.

Sent from my iPhone

Mack Penner

Nov 12, 2022, 1:50:23 PM11/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Jacob,
Based on the kind of riding you describe, I'd lean Platy. I have had mine set up mainly with the Juan Martin's (100mm stem), which are great on trails for the control I get from the width, and also good on roads because of the hand position at the bend. I have never felt too upright on them. I also have a long torso (6'7"). I have mostly run 2.2 inch mtb tires, but with tires in the mid-40s it feels plenty quick. Your RH tires would be great on a platy, imo.
If you like the stiffness you get from the Bridge Club, though, watch out. I call the plat my dual suspension bike! Lots of flex (I'm 210 pounds). I think Will has described it's ride as kinda feeling like surfing, which is true to my experience although, come to think of it, I've never surfed.
Mack

Joe Bernard

Nov 12, 2022, 2:14:21 PM11/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Platy is probably the more logical choice for what you describe but either will be great and I think you want a Gus. Find one, buy it!

Eric Daume

Nov 12, 2022, 2:25:58 PM11/12/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, jacob...@gmail.com
I'll just plug that I have a 60cm Rosco Plat for sale, only one state away :)

IMG_4997.JPG

Eric
Plain City, OH

Jacob Byard

Nov 12, 2022, 5:46:35 PM11/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
@Mack- Wow that's great to hear. At 6'7'' that's longer than me. The stiffness of the Bridge Club is nice when loaded down but it's not something I look for in a frame. The Lighting Bolt will flex and rides really nice. It's nice to hear that you have the Juan Martin bar. I've been using it on my Trucker and really like it. Thanks for the points of reference!

@Joe- You are dead correct.

@Eric- I saw the ad. That's a great looking bike! I'm really looking to build a frame up. I think I enjoy tinker with bike as much as riding them. Good luck with your sale!

Danny

Nov 12, 2022, 6:36:37 PM11/12/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
@Mack, what's your saddle height? At 6'3" w/ a 97cm pbh, I never thought I'd fit all that well on a Platy, but you've got me reconsidering that.

-Danny

Mack Penner

Nov 12, 2022, 6:46:18 PM11/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Danny,
We share a pbh! I'm also 97 (sometimes i measure 96.49 so I can round down if I need lol). My saddle height is just a little less than 86cm with 175mm cranks. I'd ride a bigger model if it existed, but I love the bike. I can't see all the seatpost when I'm ridin! Pic of the bike attached fwiw.
Mack
plat.jpg

Joe Bernard

Nov 12, 2022, 6:56:34 PM11/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jacob,

I like em, too, and wish I'd kept my Susie for these crazy-choppy roads I ended up moving to less than a year after selling it. I really liked that huge floaty tire thing, plus the fillet welds are very pretty. If I ever find a Gus (or another Susie) in my size at a time when I can cough up the cash, that baby is MINE.

Garth

Nov 12, 2022, 7:00:08 PM11/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I can relate to options. I ride my Bombadil with 50mm Big Bens the same as I ride my custom Franklin with 33mm tires. They're just two distinct variations of a bicycle. I ride both on the road, regardless of it's quality of surface. I don't consider one good for this, or the other good for that, I'll ride either anywhere I ride the other. The Bombadil design and tubing is thicker than 531ST, but so what ? It's not like we're comparing a feather to a tank.

I also bought a Susie when they came out. I have yet to build it, I'm in no hurry to either as I have two working bikes already. I thought about selling it for a Rosco Platy as it was purple. The rationale was as you, I don't "need" the wide tire capacity of the Susie. After getting the geometry and thinking it over ..... nah ... what was I thinking ? It offered nothing that the Susie didn't, and it had all the same to me, limitations., a 26.8 post and no rear canti cable stop, plus the bb is lower. I bought the Susie over a Clem because the BB was 70mm and not 80mm. My Bombadil is 80mm also and sometimes I wish it was higher. Not for clearance, just the feel. Plus.... the names Rosco nor Platypus don't do anything for me. Neither did the look of the Rosco or the Platypus. Susie Longbolts .... that I just smile with when I think of that name, I can't help it. I think of all those women during the WWII years that did all the jobs that they guys away at war did. The "Longbolts" being a complimentary nickname. Platypus ? I don't relate to.....no affinity for it... and all the sales pitching just made it more obvious. Like taste in foods, one likes what they like and that's that. Both Gus and Susie are fictional names, that leaves them open to using the imagination to relate.

I don't ride upright like driving Miss Daisy either and like being stretched out, and the Susie/Gus has all the real estate I would need. I have some 52mm and 55mm tires for the Susie and that's fine with me. Is that too wide, too narrow ? Compared to what, and when, and how ? Are comparisons ever valid ? Is one ever two ?  Challenge the cliche's and so-called ways of convention. Repeating them doesn't make it so.

Giddyup Gus and Go !

Hoch in ut

Nov 12, 2022, 8:32:37 PM11/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I’d agree Gus is not the right bike. Neither is a Clem. Riv rates them the same, as far as durability.

There’s been some good suggestions already.

I’d offer a non-Riv option: Crust Romanceur. Light, lugged frame. 853 steel. 650b x 2.4” clearance. In my opinion, perfect for the ride that you describe. Mine rides light and springy (mine is the canti version).

Danny

Nov 12, 2022, 8:37:32 PM11/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Mack, thanks for the stats and the pic, cool build! Has me thinking I want to trade my Appaloosa in for a Platy now, hmmm.
-Danny

Jacob Byard

Nov 12, 2022, 9:16:55 PM11/12/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I love the Romanceur but can’t do low trail anymore. I had a crash last year and can no longer ride drops. I seem to notice the way low trail handles now and it doesn’t inspire confidence. It’s a shame too because I have a beautiful rando bag. The Romanceur would be a perfect fit for me.

Cheers,

Jacob

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 12, 2022, at 8:32 PM, Hoch in ut <cack...@gmail.com> wrote:

I’d agree Gus is not the right bike. Neither is a Clem. Riv rates them the same, as far as durability.

Luke Hendrickson

Nov 12, 2022, 10:04:22 PM11/12/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jacob,

The heart wants what the heart wants. Lugged is very, very nice, but the fillets on the Gus are pretty af. Plus, having the option to monster truck it later is nice. That’s one reason I adore my MIT Atlantis: versatility.

Christian B-H

Nov 13, 2022, 2:13:02 AM11/13/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jacob,

If you've been called by the Gus for a couple of years, find a Gus!

I don't see a reason in your post even for why you have shortlisted the Platypus too, though it would be an excellent bike for the riding riding. I wanted a mermaid Gus. I then wanted an Atlantis. Both got away from me. Then I decided it was the mermaid color that i loved and anything would do. I got a Platypus when the timing presented itself and have been happy. It's my only mixte and fills the gaps perfectly between my Karate Monkey, Kona Rove LTD, and Merlin Road Bike. I get groceries with it, take it on gravel rides with friends on racier bikes, take it on light mountain biking trails and single track, and sometimes just sneak out to ride it for 5minutes between work calls. I love my platypus. But I'd be lying if I said i don't still pine for the mermaid Gus I was originally after. When the money and the bicycle align, buy the one your heart wants! Life is too short. Will we think later, "ah but at least I bought the bike that perfectly fit into my stable/quiver" or "thank goodness i bought the right bike for the exact purpose"? No. You mention that you have a new bike itch, and you've always wanted the Gus. I fear if you get the Platypus, you might scratch the itch, but it'll come back quickly. Follow your heart!

If you-re saying that suddenly the Platypus popped up and joined the Gus in that heart-spot equally, then get a Platypus since it's they're available new from Riv! LIke Mack here, whose Platypus is my favorite I've seen yet besides the all/black accented Crust Build (kudos, Mack!), I'm 200lbs and enjoy the surfability of the Platy while on road and light trails.

Enjoy the decision. Looking forward to seeing what you go with and hearing about how you like it!

Christian in Boulder, CO who hopes to one-day have an all-mermaid stable: Platy, Gus, Appa, Roadini.

T s

Nov 13, 2022, 5:19:22 PM11/13/22
to RBW Owners Bunch

What bars are you running on the Romanceur?  I was about to start a similar thread looking for advice and one of my shortlist choices was the Romanceur..so curious about your set up.

Hoch in ut

Nov 14, 2022, 8:38:48 AM11/14/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I’m running Albatross currently  it works well but I am looking for something with a little less rise and sweep. I may have to just bend my Albatross out a little and call it good.

The bike itself is awesome. Coming from a Clem, which was too heavy duty for me, this bike feels more springy and lively. Rides fast on the road and tackles dirt roads and singletrack with ease.

One knock I have is the fork feels a little stiff. I guess for heavier front loads. But I wish it were a little more compliant. Other than that, it’s a great bike.

T s

Nov 14, 2022, 10:44:14 AM11/14/22
to RBW Owners Bunch

Thanks I’ll stop hijacking this thread and ask for more advice on a separate one.

Mark Schneider

Nov 14, 2022, 11:30:00 AM11/14/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Country roads, sounds like the Platypus would be perfect. The Gus/Susie really is nice for washboard, and rough off-road rides, but rides great on the roads too. I have a large Susie, and I'm running Rene Herse tires, and I'm impressed with the responsiveness. It's very plush! Kind of wish I'd gotten the Gus, just because I've packed on some weight and there's a small drop-off I occasionally find myself going over.

Jacob Byard

Nov 15, 2022, 5:41:13 PM11/15/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for all the replies. I ended up going with a Gus. C&L Cycles out of Montreal had a frame in stock. I've been eyeing parts for the build all day. My parts stash is pretty full so hopefully things will come together quickly on the build. Thanks again for the help!

Luke Hendrickson

Nov 15, 2022, 5:45:00 PM11/15/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Awesome!!! Which color is your Gus, Jacob? Very much looking forward to seeing it built up. What sorta gearing you have in mind?

Scott Luly

Nov 15, 2022, 5:59:27 PM11/15/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
What size, Jacob? XL? Do they have another one?!?!

Ryan Frahm

Nov 15, 2022, 6:00:10 PM11/15/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sounds great! You will not be disappointed!

Brian Turner

Nov 15, 2022, 6:07:32 PM11/15/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Welcome to the Gus / Susie gang! Looking forward to seeing yours built up, and hearing your thoughts on how you like it!

Joe Bernard

Nov 15, 2022, 6:07:56 PM11/15/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Score! REO Speedwagon once asked, "Should I follow my head or follow my heart?" The heart wins!!!

Jacob Byard

Nov 15, 2022, 6:14:06 PM11/15/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
It’s the Mermaid color. They only had one in stock so the decision was pretty easy.

Right now I’ll be going 3x9. I bought a NOS Ritchey triple recently to put on my Long Haul Trucker but it’ll be going on the Gus. I could see going 2x9 or 2x10 at some point. White Industries makes some really nice stuff.

It’s funny because I just bought some Paul Motolite brakes for the Trucker and now they’ll be pulled for the Gus. Back to the mismatched v-brakes.

I still need wheels but I found a cheap set on eBay. They’ll do for now.

The shipping notification just came through. Hopefully I’ll have it early next week.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 15, 2022, at 5:45 PM, Luke Hendrickson <phendr...@paulpath.net> wrote:

Awesome!!! Which color is your Gus, Jacob? Very much looking forward to seeing it built up. What sorta gearing you have in mind?

Luke Hendrickson

Nov 15, 2022, 6:47:06 PM11/15/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Triples are my fave.

Mackenzy Albright

Nov 15, 2022, 7:16:39 PM11/15/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
RE those comparing Romanceurs and Rivs

I loved my (XL disc) Romanceur - but have a bad shoulder / neck. I couldn't run drops. It didn't handle that well with upright bars IMO. The short wheelbase makes it hop  and wheelie a lot climbing. I love climbing. It rode amazing with a shortish stem and towel racks, but was a real neck destroyer. Looked great though. Hauled front basket cargo like nobody's business. I loved it - but not for me.

I traded it for a Clementine 59 and (also bought a) Clem Smith JR 64. OG clementine feels a tad like the Romanceur a bit with a bit more room in the front for swept backs and appropriate chain stays to keep it on the ground. Climbs wonderfully. Clem JR just cruises like nobody's business. One of the most fun and cruisey bikes ive ever ridden. The more slack head tube makes it a bit floppier than the Clementine with a high front load (ie basket or porteur bag) Im likely going to keep the Clementine and part with the JR only because of slight overlap and lack of space.

Now that I took the RIV plunge, having a high maintenance body that gets pissed off easily, I can't imagine not owning a rivendell for my main ride anymore. I dont think you can make a wrong decision. I think it comes down to more or less tire size, aesthetics, and availability. Each has their slight niche variations, but overall no matter what be amazing.

Hoch in ut

Nov 15, 2022, 11:20:18 PM11/15/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Apparently, this is all subjective, because I felt just the opposite! 🙂
The Clem was so long, much longer than what I’d been used to mountain biking for 30+ years. The trails here are fairly chunky, and maneuvering around rocks and/or high-centering became issues. I thought I’d adapt, but never could.
The Romeo (with flat bars) handled razor sharp and I could weave around and over all obstacles without the fear of pedal strikes or getting hung up. We’ve got some steep climbs here and I never had a problem with the front end wandering. I just felt “at home” with it in just about every aspect.

One thing the Clem absolutely destroys the Romeo and other bikes is straight line descents. I could bomb steep gravel roads like Bode Miller soaring down a run.

Both good bikes. Just depends on what you prefer and are used to. I personally gave the long wheelbase a couple of tries but couldn’t ever come to grips with it. You might. 🙂

Mackenzy Albright

Nov 16, 2022, 4:03:20 PM11/16/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I wish I had tried flat bars (or nitto wavies) on the romanceur before I sold it. I did appreciate it's slow speed maneuverability, especially while climbing. it may have been a good compromise to drop bars vs swept backs! Maybe it would have mitigated some of the front wheel lifting off bumps in really low gearing climbs. That being said I ran my romancer with 26" wheels and racing ralph 2.1's and felt like I was constantly getting pedal strike. 650 was better, but I felt it lost some of the spryness I loved so much. I am going to get a custom made based off the romancer with a few tweaks. It was a memorable bike and very much enjoyed my time with it. But agreed bikes are so much subjective! haha

the clem does love a decent! I also feel like the clementine was quite a bit shorter than the JR. It's really a shame they didn't keep the original clementine on the roster, I think it's a really swell feeling bike.

Jacob Byard

Nov 22, 2022, 8:00:57 AM11/22/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The frame safely arrived yesterday. It’s huge. The color is beautiful. I would have picked orange had the choice been available but now I’m happy with mermaid.

The fork is on and the bottom bracket is in. I had forgotten how easy 9 speed cassettes install. 12 speed is such a pain.

Tonight I want to get on the brakes and size up the chain. I’m still waiting on both derailleurs, tires, valve stems and a seatpost. I mistakenly bought a 28.6mm post instead of a 26.8mm.

Hopefully everything shows up soon or I’ll start pulling parts from other bikes to get this on the road.

I can not believe how big it is. That steerer tube was so long but then the head tube swallowed it up. I can’t wait to ride it.

-Jacob

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 16, 2022, at 4:03 PM, Mackenzy Albright <mackenzy...@gmail.com> wrote:

I wish I had tried flat bars (or nitto wavies) on the romanceur before I sold it. I did appreciate it's slow speed maneuverability, especially while climbing. it may have been a good compromise to drop bars vs swept backs! Maybe it would have mitigated some of the front wheel lifting off bumps in really low gearing climbs. That being said I ran my romancer with 26" wheels and racing ralph 2.1's and felt like I was constantly getting pedal strike. 650 was better, but I felt it lost some of the spryness I loved so much. I am going to get a custom made based off the romancer with a few tweaks. It was a memorable bike and very much enjoyed my time with it. But agreed bikes are so much subjective! haha

Ryan Frahm

Nov 22, 2022, 9:55:23 AM11/22/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Exciting, I can’t wait to see it built up! I definitely double and probably triple checked on seatpost sizing. A 27.2 would have been really cool but I don’t find any need for my old titanium post on the Susie, it rides smoother than anything.

Can’t wait to hear your thoughts on the Gus! I have been feeling like I should have gone that way so I could load it up and never feel worried but I just love my quill stem! Will has assured me I don’t need to be worried at all with my 175lbs and a 30 or so camp load. I’m getting more comfortable feeling like she’s not fragile but…

Just a note, AVT bike is having a site wide sale up to 25% off. Tough to beat on Paul or White industries parts!

greenteadrinkers

Nov 22, 2022, 10:00:22 AM11/22/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jacob - If you are interested I have a really clean Jones Loop I pulled off an Analog build that I'm interested in selling.

Best,
Scott

Jacob Byard

Nov 22, 2022, 10:33:20 AM11/22/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Scott,
I have an extra Jones loop on hand. Thanks for the offer though! I put a Simworks Fun bar (I think that’s the name) on for the moment. I plan to try out a few different bars.

Ryan,

I’ve got a really nice Simworks Nitto 27.2 post that I don’t have bike for. I think once I get the 26.8 post in and sized up I’ll sand a bit off the Nitto and use it. It’s got a cool finish so I don’t want to remove too much.

Paul levers and Motolites are going on tonight. I pulled them off my Trucker. I’m using a Ritchey triple but a White Industry double would be nice. Gotta get some cash save up.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 22, 2022, at 10:00 AM, greenteadrinkers <greentea...@gmail.com> wrote:

Jacob - If you are interested I have a really clean Jones Loop I pulled off an Analog build that I'm interested in selling.

Ryan Frahm

Nov 22, 2022, 10:57:08 AM11/22/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have also seen (on here) that you can have the seat tube reamed to fit 27.2. I’d probably be okay with it on the Gus but wouldn’t likely chance it on my Susie with thinner tubes.

Ryan Frahm

Nov 22, 2022, 10:59:12 AM11/22/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oh, and just a note on bars, I swapped the Bosco for a 60cm Tosco and what a great swap it was. The front position didn’t work for me and the Bosco was just too high. Highly recommend the Tosco if you try some swept back bars! My first ride with them was 30 miles of pure comfort.

Brian Turner

Nov 22, 2022, 11:28:27 AM11/22/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I too have the widest Toscos (with the 38.1 clamp dia) on my Gus. They’re super comfortable and give you lots of control for rough terrain. I feel like these bars were tailor made for Gus / Susie.

On Nov 22, 2022, at 10:59 AM, Ryan Frahm <fra...@gmail.com> wrote:

Oh, and just a note on bars, I swapped the Bosco for a 60cm Tosco and what a great swap it was. The front position didn’t work for me and the Bosco was just too high. Highly recommend the Tosco if you try some swept back bars! My first ride with them was 30 miles of pure comfort.

Jacob Byard

Nov 22, 2022, 12:18:38 PM11/22/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I haven’t Toscos yet. There’s probably 6-7 different bars floating around my stash. Now I’ll put the Toscos on my list.

Reaming the seat tube had crossed my mind. We are talking about a tiny amount. A dropper post is my dream. As it stands I don’t think I’ll have the height to run a 90-100mm dropper. Some of the internal ones are in the 50-60mm range. I’ll cross that bridge once everything is put together and I have some miles on it.

-Jacob

Sent from my iPhone