First Ride of 2023

Paul Clifton

Jan 2, 2023, 10:11:26 AM1/2/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm really enjoying the Last Ride of 2022 thread with its short descriptions of all different kinds of rides, so I thought I'd start a first ride of 2023.

I got out on my new years day ride down here on the Florida panhandle. It was sunny and over 70 degrees. I rode a nice 12 mile loop that took me through the Saint Joseph Bay State Buffer Preserve, then to a coffee outside stop across from Salinas Park on Cape San Blas, then back to Indian Pass along the beach. A perfect ride with the perfect tires for the job. After the swampy puddles in the buffer and the salty beach sand, I definitely rinsed the bike off when I got back.

I hope everyone has a great 2023.

Paul usually in AR20230101_131633.jpg20230101_140956.jpg

DavidP

Jan 2, 2023, 12:44:09 PM1/2/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Humble start to 2023 with a ~30 minute, 5 mile ramble though some neighborhood roads mainly for the purposes of getting a couple of new miles for Wandrer.earth. I didn't take the Platypus but my Riv-ish Univega Alpina Uno townie (with Bosco bars). Here's a photo taken at a local water district pump station I've never gotten a picture of.

IMG_20230102_114803404.jpg

Happy New Year!

-Dave

R. Alexis

Jan 2, 2023, 5:28:44 PM1/2/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I don't know that it counts, but I took a short post build roll on a Trek 5900 OCLV carbon (Issue Bike) that I rebuilt. Rode it several blocks last night and this afternoon. A bit rainy here today. May have gone longer if it was not. here is to getting out on the bike in 2023, however you can. Sorry, no pics.

Reginald Alexis
Fremont, Nebraska

Brady Smith

Jan 3, 2023, 4:09:50 PM1/3/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
IMG_9036.jpg

I've traded my road-ish bikes for cross country skis until spring, but I did my usual 2.5 mile commute on the Yuba this morning. An e-bike is decidedly un-Rivvy, perhaps, but this one has sold me on the practical value of mixte frames and flat bars. Dreaming of a Platypus for casual duty on warmer days.

Brady in SLC

st nick

Jan 3, 2023, 6:06:17 PM1/3/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Was able to start off the year with 31 miles on my Sam Hillsborne in low 70 degree temperatures.

Paul in Dallas

Paul Clifton

Jan 3, 2023, 6:11:32 PM1/3/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for sharing y'all. I love all the different conditions and distances and reasons for riding. It's all very Rivish to me.

Paul

Wesley

Jan 4, 2023, 5:23:45 PM1/4/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
No pics because it was dark and pouring. I rode up the American River parkway to see the conditions on the river and at the Nimbus dam on January 2. It was a lot of water! I've lived in Sacramento for there years but it's been a drought that whole time so I am seeing the flood control infrastructure in operation for the first time. Very cool and a little worrisome, given the amount of rain that's coming in the next few weeks. I believe the Fremont Weir will begin overtopping with flow into the Yolo bypass this weekend - that'll be a sight!
-Wes

Tom Palmer

Jan 5, 2023, 8:49:49 AM1/5/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi all,
First ride last evening in the dark, rain, and 40 degrees. I had a cold to finish 22 and start 23 but sucked it up because I knew it would be mentally beneficial.
The Platypus continues to astound me. Smooth, quick, comfortable, and agile was the feeling in spite of the weather. No pictures in the dark, but my new front dyno wheel is to be delivered today so I can finalize the build.
Happy New Year.

Tom Palmer
Twin Lake, MI

Jason Fuller

Jan 5, 2023, 2:25:23 PM1/5/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
My first ride was on the 1st, just under 30 km of MUPs in town and some time sat at a bench with this view.  Sam is currently set up with Albatross as you can see because I couldn't shake my curiosity to try this configuration.  I really like it, but I'll probably swap this setup to the Bombadil in the coming months and return the Sam to drop bars for randonneuring season.

PXL_20230101_213006557.jpg

PXL_20230101_213006557.jpg