Clem PreSale

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

May 22, 2020, 3:14:06 PM5/22/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
It’s high noon! On pre-sale day!

Guess who got a new Clem - no not me, silly #RivFriends - my DAD!!!!!! Dad is 6’3” and rides a diamond frame Specialized Globe that is way too small for him and that I have witnessed him on no fewer than 3 occasions nearly tip over trying to mount.

HE’S GETTING BLUE AND WE’RE GOING TO BE TWINS!!!!! Mom has a Cheviot. She’s kind of spoiled...

Leah

Doug H.

May 22, 2020, 3:20:04 PM5/22/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I checked at 3:12 just after it went live..and the 52 cm Green is already sold out! I guess I will wait for the Platypus after all...or buy an Atlantis. It's nice when choices are taken away from me.
Doug

DHans

Joe Bernard

May 22, 2020, 3:39:31 PM5/22/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey tall people, what's PBH for 6'-3" ? I'm pretty sure Leah's dad needs a 59cm, but not 100%.

Leah Peterson

May 22, 2020, 5:42:36 PM5/22/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Wow, they sold so quickly! I wanted to add a photo of the lucky man who got the RBW Blue Clementine today.

I will also say that Dad never once balked at a step-through frame. He hunts! He fishes! He rides a girls’ bike. Like his daughter.

Dad is adorable.

Sent from my iPad

On May 22, 2020, at 12:20 PM, Doug H. <dhansf...@gmail.com> wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/CAHWKbCKrKskBp3g%3D_byjP%2Bqh%3Dmtqy7BOyigSq2FtS75Naib1NA%40mail.gmail.com.

Ray Evans

May 22, 2020, 6:29:50 PM5/22/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
This is adorable, Leah...but he will stop short of the custom sparkle wheels, right??

masmojo

May 22, 2020, 6:50:20 PM5/22/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I don't think Platypus is a viable name, because there already a Bicycle product with the name Platypus! Hydration pack I think.

Leah Peterson

May 22, 2020, 6:55:46 PM5/22/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Haha, Ray. Dad puts up with a LOT. He just always sweetly smiles at his family’s dumb antics. Like that time I monogrammed his vest GaryBear, or made him an email address, also a version of Gary Bear. We never thought he’d use it for anything important, but now every time he has a business dealing and they ask for his email address, he has to choke out our pet name for him. 🤣

So, if I got him sparkly wheels, hed roll his eyes and he’d ride them. In exchange, he gets me - a daughter who doesn’t hunt but does fish and shoot.

Trade offs!
Leah

Sent from my iPhone

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 2:42 PM Leah Peterson <jonasa...@gmail.com> wrote:
Wow, they sold so quickly! I wanted to add a photo of the lucky man who got the RBW Blue Clementine today.

I will also say that Dad never once balked at a step-through frame. He hunts! He fishes! He rides a girls’ bike. Like his daughter.

Dad is adorable.

<image0.jpeg>
<image1.jpeg>

Roberta

May 22, 2020, 6:59:20 PM5/22/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oh, he is so lucky to get one! I'm looking forward to a Riv family picture this summer.

Eric Daume

May 22, 2020, 7:35:50 PM5/22/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
At 6'3/36" PBH, I rode a 59cm first gen Clem H. It fit well. I'm not sure if/how the geo changed since then.

Eric

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 3:39 PM Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey tall people, what's PBH for 6'-3" ? I'm pretty sure Leah's dad needs a 59cm, but not 100%.

Jingy

May 22, 2020, 8:03:29 PM5/22/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm about 6' 1"-ish, with a 92-96cm PBH(the range is based on my self-measurements and my wife's measurements) and I ordered a 64. Based on their size chart, I could have gone either 59 or 64. I was at the upper end of of 59 and the lower end of 64, so I called and talked to Grant. Before I could finish telling him my specifics he said get the 64!
Based on that, I think GaryBear could ride the 64.

Kiley Demond

May 23, 2020, 3:04:32 PM5/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Zoinks! It's time! Before I put the money in for a 59 complete Clem L, which I am shortening to CLem (the other being CHlem, where the 'h' is silent), what say the spec nerds about the components this time around? I know the tires are too narrow, so I will have to swap those out (and evidently take the others along for the ride). On my Cheviot, I swapped out the cranks to accommodate my absurdly long femurs. I think I will Leah-lighten it, so at some point, it would make more sense for me to wait and buy just a frame. I think I need to go through my components bin and see what I saved; I know I sold most of them.

Also, since Will said that there is already another Clem order in the works, I asked the only possible question: what colors will they be? I haven't heard, but if anyone else has... please share.

Joe Bernard

May 23, 2020, 3:13:37 PM5/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm trying to think of a reason why I need a 45cm copy of Leah's gorgeous blue Clem(entine) even though I just spent a comical amount of money on a custom and sold my grilver Clem(entine) frame. I'll think of something! 🤪

Abcyclehank

May 23, 2020, 4:12:02 PM5/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe,
Because it would make you an honorary step-#rivsister to her and the other intelligent women who share a healthy love of bikes; especially low step over mixte inspired ones. They then bond with these steeds like their own offsprings demonstrating a loyalty and joy of just riding many of us manly men should aspire to emulate.
So yes you should think of a reason to go 45cm ClemL in Leah blue(I see yours having more streamline silver hubs and rims. I will ever hold on to the 26” Copenhagen wheel I was contemplating listing for your eventual future needs; more importantly I will join as well and grab a 64cm metallic green one. So I can express my sisterhood desires as well.

Ryan “Clem considering” Hankinson
Michigan

Joe Bernard

May 23, 2020, 4:25:21 PM5/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oh dude, I already put the mainstream silver stuff on the custom. The whole POINT of a blue Clem(entine) is to get red and orange hubs yo! 🕺💃

Leah Peterson

May 23, 2020, 4:44:36 PM5/23/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
You guys will do anything to get in our #RivSisterhood!

Well, that blue is just the ticket. You can call it Leah Blue, Ryan, but Riv thought they were naming it for themselves. Ha!

I call it: blue-green-shot-through-with-glimmer-like-sunlight-on-seawater. Because that’s what it is.

My own lovely blue Clem is still in the shop where those shop guys are likely putting miles on it - and I can’t really begrudge them that. I rode the Big Blue H 9 miles this morning and had a really good time. Got the familiar spray of black dots all over my legs from those crumby brakes, but otherwise fun. Even with the stock wheels and Sunrace thumbies.

If anyone else gets in on the presale, let us know so we can cheer for you here.

Clems are gems,
Leah

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 23, 2020, at 1:25 PM, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Oh dude, I already put the mainstream silver stuff on the custom. The whole POINT of a blue Clem(entine) is to get red and orange hubs yo! 🕺💃

Leah Peterson

May 23, 2020, 4:50:50 PM5/23/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Kiley, what color are you hoping for? If you choose one from this batch which color strikes your fancy? Do you know how many frames-only  are for sale? Can they tell you if you have a good chance of scoring one when they’re released?

Also, a red Clem would be 😍🌹. You know, if anyone out there is listening...

Sent from my iPhone

On May 23, 2020, at 12:04 PM, Kiley Demond <khde...@gmail.com> wrote:

Zoinks! It's time! Before I put the money in for a 59 complete Clem L, which I am shortening to CLem (the other being CHlem, where the 'h' is silent), what say the spec nerds about the components this time around? I know the tires are too narrow, so I will have to swap those out (and evidently take the others along for the ride). On my Cheviot, I swapped out the cranks to accommodate my absurdly long femurs. I think I will Leah-lighten it, so at some point, it would make more sense for me to wait and buy just a frame. I think I need to go through my components bin and see what I saved; I know I sold most of them.

Also, since Will said that there is already another Clem order in the works, I asked the only possible question: what colors will they be? I haven't heard, but if anyone else has... please share.

Joe Bernard

May 23, 2020, 4:57:35 PM5/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ooh, a sparkly metallic red Clem L. I'd probably have to buy that! ❤️

Kiley Demond

May 23, 2020, 8:37:20 PM5/23/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I do not exactly when and how many are arriving. I am confident when they arrive my spidey-sense will get me there in time. I would get the blue for sure. My second, and really only other choice, is orange. I can’t recall a red Riv. My college bike was a red Raleigh and I got red because that was the only color available in my size at the LBS. My first car was a red Honda Civic and I got red because the only other color it came in was the only color I like less than red, black. So clearly, I will not be on red bandwagon. I’m actually quite fond of the blue and shall enjoy curating components while I wait!

Sent with Unibox

Pancake

May 24, 2020, 12:47:15 PM5/24/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Not legal advice (anyone wanting actual legal advice about this, I can give you referrals to competent attorneys), but some scrounging on google seems to show that it's probably not be a problem. It looks like they are in difference trademark Classes at not likely to be confused:
Class 12 - "Land vehicles and conveyances, ambulances, automobiles, bicycles/cycles" according to Nolo.
Class 24 - Fabrics and Textile Products
Class 25 - Clothing and Apparel Products
Also, Platypus doesn't appear to be a registered trademark of the hydration back company, I think it's copyrighted which has different legal protections (more about the ability to reproduce that item under that name in short).

For example, Camelbak is a similar type of hydration pack used for biking, hiking, running, etc. They're classified in 11, 13, 21, 23, 31, 34 if I'm reading the US Patent and Trademark search site correctly.

Also, it's a great name for a bike that has loads of useful features that have evolved down a weird path to be really fun looking and functional.

Take care,
Abe

Bob Ehrenbeck

May 24, 2020, 2:26:49 PM5/24/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Joe,

If you're really considering picking up a 45 Clem L, you should know that my wife just snagged a 45 yesterday (the bronze green color, her first Riv), so there's one less in the inventory.

Soon, we'll be a two-Clem household (Clem H + Clem L)!

Bob E
Cranford, NJ

masmojo

May 25, 2020, 4:04:13 AM5/25/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Pancake; technically, you could be right, but legality or letter of law might be less of an issue than simple prudence.

It's been my experience that just because the law might be on your side doesn't mean someone can't threaten legal action. And in this case, resulting legal action could have crippling financial implications regardless of a positive outcome or not.
Discretion could be the wiser path.

Garth

May 25, 2020, 5:32:33 AM5/25/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

Platypus bottles are a trademark of Cascade Designs, the company that makes Therma-Rest sleeping pads and who holds a bunch of other trademarks for their brands and products.

Searching for the name Playpus lists a whole lotta trademarks. https://trademarks.justia.com/search?q=platypus

So clearly CD designs doesn't have sole "rights" to use the name Platypus. CD's classification is under "Environmental control apparatus".

Under "Sporting Goods and Toys" there a fishing tackle brand named Platypus, that's all.

Well that was fun !

Mark Roland

May 25, 2020, 8:56:26 AM5/25/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
With  Grant's fondness for anagrams, maybe Patyplus? Could spell it Patti Pluss on the other side...

DHans

May 25, 2020, 10:43:01 AM5/25/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Aptly sup..and in aptly supple ride?
Doug

Max S

May 26, 2020, 4:33:40 PM5/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Or "plapytus" – I do like the silly sound of it. :-)

- Max "what's in a name?" in A2

Mark Roland

May 26, 2020, 7:56:10 PM5/26/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Right. Because platypus is so formal and stuffy ;^)

But seriously, a weird culture that lets corporations "own" the rights to the names of things in nature. I mean, does the Platypus Foundation get a cut of sales?

EricP

May 27, 2020, 6:31:29 AM5/27/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Congrats on the new bike for your dad! (Just posted elsewhere that a 59cm will eventually make it's way to me.)

As for platypus - well, unfortunately, that was my elementary school nickname when being picked on. Since then have never liked the word. Nothing against the animal, or the proposed bike. But the name alone would be a no-go.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN

Patrick Moore

May 27, 2020, 10:01:41 AM5/27/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
My nickname until sometime in my 10 year was "Beaver" because of my big, gleaming "Maxilary Central Incisors". The name stopped after I chipped the left one: 1964 or so, age 9, skateboards new, friend had one, placed it on the concrete driveway, thought it brilliant to run and do belly flop on board, overshot, true story. But I have no animus against beavers; they're rather interesting beasts ("beast" is a standard classification term), certainly more interesting than kittens and puppies.

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 4:31 AM EricP <eperic...@gmail.com> wrote:
.... As for platypus - well, unfortunately, that was my elementary school nickname when being picked on. Since then have never liked the word. Nothing against the animal, or the proposed bike. But the name alone would be a no-go.
Patrick Moore

Kiley Demond

May 27, 2020, 10:33:10 AM5/27/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I went to an all girls school founded in 1884 whose mascot is the beaver, as the animal embodiment of industriousness. That went sideways somewhere in the 1980s or 90s. I remember trying to use “what was your high school’s mascot?” as a security question and entering “beaver" and having the site reject it as unacceptable.

On May 27, 2020, at 7:01 AM, Patrick Moore <bert...@gmail.com> wrote:

My nickname until sometime in my 10 year was "Beaver" because of my big, gleaming "Maxilary Central Incisors". The name stopped after I chipped the left one: 1964 or so, age 9, skateboards new, friend had one, placed it on the concrete driveway, thought it brilliant to run and do belly flop on board, overshot, true story. But I have no animus against beavers; they're rather interesting beasts ("beast" is a standard classification term), certainly more interesting than kittens and puppies.

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 4:31 AM EricP <eperic...@gmail.com> wrote:
.... As for platypus - well, unfortunately, that was my elementary school nickname when being picked on. Since then have never liked the word. Nothing against the animal, or the proposed bike. But the name alone would be a no-go. <embedded image>

Patrick Moore

May 27, 2020, 11:34:33 AM5/27/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
Yeah, I knew this connection, but in 1964, we all at age 9 or 10, had no idea of the connection; and we were hardly cherubic innocents. But I daresay that at an all girls school -- St. Trinian's -- the connection might well be fraught.

The Ronald Searle images, of course.

It was funny -- I remember it 55 years later -- how suddenly the nickname went away when I chipped my incisor.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/C1327727-E1F1-49C7-8298-BDAFF64CF557%40gmail.com.

Patrick Moore

Kurt Henry

May 27, 2020, 12:04:49 PM5/27/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
BBDD, I got in on the presale for my former spouse. I posted a WTB for a 45 that never made it to the list, then finally decided to buy the 45 Clem-H that was in the garage sale section as a best alternative. I called and talked to Grant, who told me that it sold that morning. Sigh... But he told me that the presale email had just gone out (I hadn’t yet seen it) and I could get a new Clem L within a few weeks for my son’s mom. So I ordered her a 45 in sparkly green . She is very excited to be able to cruise around with our son this summer!
Kurt Henry
Lancaster PA USA

Kiley Demond

May 27, 2020, 1:17:55 PM5/27/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Dorothy C

May 27, 2020, 3:00:38 PM5/27/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Fictitious school drawn by Ronald Searle, featured in a couple of old British movies.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Trinian's_School

Kiley Demond

May 27, 2020, 3:28:38 PM5/27/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thank you! My school was private with no religious affiliation so I was confused by the reference (and I failed to utilize google….).

On May 27, 2020, at 12:00 PM, Dorothy C <doroth...@gmail.com> wrote:

Fictitious school drawn by Ronald Searle, featured in a couple of old British movies.

Deacon Patrick

May 27, 2020, 8:13:58 PM5/27/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wisdom, this. "... and I failed to utilize google ..."

With abandon,
Patrick

On Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 1:28:38 PM UTC-6, Kiley Demond wrote:
Thank you! My school was private with no religious affiliation so I was confused by the reference (and I failed to utilize google….).

On May 27, 2020, at 12:00 PM, Dorothy C <doroth...@gmail.com> wrote:

Fictitious school drawn by Ronald Searle, featured in a couple of old British movies.

Doug Hansford

May 27, 2020, 9:23:39 PM5/27/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Okay boomer...Just kidding Deacon Patrick. Your comment made me think back to doing research papers and such in high school, before we had the internet. Libraries and old newspaper articles on microfilm were sources. I'm not implying I'd want to go back to those times but they were so different it's sometimes hard to remember how things were. Was it Abe Lincoln who once tweeted "technology makes wise men of fools"? Probably not. haha
Doug

Kiley Demond

May 28, 2020, 10:18:06 AM5/28/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I worked in Silicon Valley for 30+ years and one of my friends who worked at Google would respond to factual questions with, “Have you heard about this thing called Google?”, as did other employees there. Just as my parents sent me to a dictionary while I wailed, “Can’t you just tell me what it means?”, I find I send my son to Google. Resourcefulness is one of my signature quality. Thank you, Mom & Dad.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/e206055c-90f3-4d81-9b71-4cdfc9d9d9cc%40googlegroups.com.

Patrick Moore

May 28, 2020, 11:00:33 AM5/28/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
The schtick was to set precocious corruption and cruelty against the 1940s-'50s mental background of posh English girls' public (= private boarding) schools.

image.png

You should also Google "Giles cartoons" for the pullulating British working class family (with the grim grandmother) from the same period.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/62E511AE-9723-4078-9962-8A4E6A711EA9%40gmail.com.

Patrick Moore