PSA - 1997 All-Rounder on Bay Area CL (not mine)

Kevin Lindsey

Jan 13, 2020, 7:10:44 PM1/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I despair of ever finding an All-Rounder that's a) my size (56-58cm) and b) close enough to Virginia to actually drive out and buy it.  In the meantime, however, I found this one (https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/emeryville-1997-rivendell-all-rounder/7054426342.html) that's currently on the Bay Area Craigslist; given how quickly these get snapped up, I figured someone in the group might be interested.

Kevin Lindsey
Alexandria, VA
USA

Joe Bernard

Jan 13, 2020, 7:29:26 PM1/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
You should give him a holler, it has couplers so would be easy to pack and he's probably done it. That's a pretty AR.

Bill Lindsay

Jan 13, 2020, 8:14:49 PM1/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
At that price I should snap it up. I could totally make that work, maybe with an upright cockpit. Evil thoughts...

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito Ca

Karl

Jan 13, 2020, 9:57:02 PM1/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Kevin,

I have a couple of All Rounders. I’ve been thinking of thinning down bicycles. I have a 56cm frame and a 56cm Rivendell Mountain bike. If interested, let me know.... and if you buy the one on Craigslist and it’s too large, I’d be into trading!

Karl
Nashville, TN

Drw

Jan 13, 2020, 11:47:53 PM1/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Good deal! One size down and it’d be mine by now

Clayton.sf

Jan 14, 2020, 12:10:11 AM1/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I am happy to facilitate shipping, packing, and transaction. I am Oakland once a week. PM if desired.

Clayton Scott
HBG, CA

iamkeith

Jan 14, 2020, 1:29:21 AM1/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jan 13, 2020, 5:43 pm

That's actually a 59 or 60, FWIW.  (He gives C-C dimensions.)  Probably makes it too big for Kevin, but does makes it ever rarer.  Not many were made in that size using  26" wheels.

tuolumne bikes

Jan 14, 2020, 2:35:05 AM1/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Emailed them. We'll see if it's gone before I can get there.

Carl, Columbia,CA

Paul Lugo

Jan 14, 2020, 11:18:15 AM1/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Howdy ya’ll,

I’m the seller! Thanks for sharing the CL post, Kevin! I’m hoping to sell it locally, but if that doesn’t work out I’ll ship it. Happy to answer any questions about it. Please pass along to any interested parties.

Best,
Paul in Oakland

Greg J

Jan 14, 2020, 5:11:25 PM1/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
It would fit my 15-year old son, but does a kid need such a bike?  On the other hand, we'd have matching AR's!

Greg in Oakland

John G.

Jan 14, 2020, 10:35:57 PM1/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I know of many of us appreciate knowing the saddle height of a bike posted for sale.

Jay P

Jan 15, 2020, 12:30:46 AM1/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I’ll second that — would you please let us know the saddle height (as pictured)? Thank you ——
Message has been deleted

Paul Lugo

Jan 15, 2020, 12:07:38 PM1/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
My saddle height is probably somewhere more around 87-88cm. I lowered it to around 80cm cause it was more photogenic that way.

Bill Lindsay

Jan 15, 2020, 1:16:02 PM1/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I reached out to the seller and got him to photograph the bike with my Saddle Height of 75.5cm.  It looks fine to me.  More than a fistfull of seatpost, but I expect it'll be ~right there on standover for me at 5'10".  I'm sure I could rock that bike, and I'm nearly certain that somebody is going to pay the seller's price.  If somebody grabs it this week; tailwinds to that person.  If nobody grabs it this week, then it might be tailwinds to me....

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Karl

Jan 15, 2020, 2:21:00 PM1/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I love a good Bill L resell bike!!

Karl (Don’t need it, but want it..... bad)
Nash, TN

Paul Lugo

Jan 15, 2020, 10:11:10 PM1/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi all,

Thanks for all the interest! Carl is the new owner. Happy to see it go to a good home!

Best,
Paul in Oakland

CB

Jan 16, 2020, 1:00:11 AM1/16/20
to Paul Lugo, RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks all and especially to Paul, the OP, and to Bill for his restraint. The bike is in great shape and lighter and zippier than I expected. I'll post when I get it set up.

Carl, Columbia, CA

Kevin Lindsey

Jan 16, 2020, 12:45:08 PM1/16/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Carl -
Looks like a great bike.  Congratulations.
Kevin Lindsey
Alexandria, VA

On Thursday, January 16, 2020 at 1:00:11 AM UTC-5, tuolumne bikes wrote:
Thanks all and especially to Paul, the OP, and to Bill for his restraint. The bike is in great shape and lighter and zippier than I expected. I'll post when I get it set up.

Carl, Columbia, CA

tuolumne bikes

Jan 16, 2020, 2:46:03 PM1/16/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Kevin. I'm long legs/short torso, so tall bike/short top tube/fattish tires has been a need for a long time.

Bill Lindsay

Jan 16, 2020, 3:00:16 PM1/16/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm going to ask for a reverse-finders-fee.  Carl owes me because I didn't buy it, and even offered to broker it.  Paul owes me because I locked his asking price in stone by posting that the bike is worth it.  I need me some commissions!!

Just kidding.  I'm happy to have the chance to chase that bike around Gold Country

Bill Lindsay
Calaveras County, CA

CB

Jan 16, 2020, 11:41:03 PM1/16/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I think my contract requires that finder's fees be paid in beer. Hope you're enjoying the snow and that whatever is happening at my house is all cleared up before I get home.

iamkeith

Jan 22, 2020, 11:46:42 AM1/22/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, congratulations and please post some pictures that you wouldn't mind me copying. I neglected to save the listing photo, but I at one time assembled a collection of images of most (or all?) other known All Rounders in those large 58-61cm sizes.

tuolumne bikes

Jan 24, 2020, 2:44:36 AM1/24/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here are a few from a ride today to try it with weight on the front--less than 10 pounds. More photos on Instagram @tuolumnebikes. Still a lot of changes in store.

I'm too short torso for the drop bars that came on it. The Albastache bars came in a box with the bike. I like the reach and hand positioning, but...

Don't want the brakes at the most forward position if I need to shift weight back to descend sketchy downhills.
Don't really like the chance of having the cable end pop out of the lever when releasing the straddle cable for flats etc. Fine in my garage; sucks on the side of the road.

Will probably switch to dirtdrop stem with northroadish bar. This will also reduce the "stork" look on the stem. May put the Albastache set up on my road bike with a longer stem extension (68/55 frame).

The bike rides nice with weight on front. Less twitchy and no wobbles.

Let me know if you want cleaner photos--I can do some leaning on the garage door.
stump wide.jpg
flume.jpg
old oak 2.jpg

Steven Sweedler

Jan 24, 2020, 2:48:14 AM1/24/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Carl, what is the seat height in the photos. Thanks, Steve

Steven Sweedler
Plymouth, New Hampshire

CB

Jan 24, 2020, 8:49:17 AM1/24/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, Steven Sweedler
34.5", 87.6 cm

Bill Lindsay

Jan 24, 2020, 10:37:43 AM1/24/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Carl

Can you tell me where that gangplank/catwalk is in the second photo?

Bill Lindsay
part-time Arnold,CA

tuolumne bikes

Jan 24, 2020, 12:12:44 PM1/24/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
That's a short flume on the PG&E Main Ditch trail segment between Kewen Mill Road and Old Oak Ranch Road. That ditch segment is pretty long and undeveloped--five miles mostly through the Stanislaus Forest. There's a short video clip of riding the ditch on my IG post:

There's also the Utica Ditch on your side of the river, but I don't know how much is accessible as trail. You can see the flume from across the river and it looks pretty hairy.

The Philadelphia Ditch trail goes east from Spring Gap to the South Fork Stanislaus--a good hike with lots of moderate length flume segments. The water flows over the ridge between the South Fork and Middle Fork to run a powerhouse on the Middle Fork.