Simple, but Dumb, Question

PG

Oct 22, 2019, 10:54:59 AM10/22/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Excuse my ignorance...

Do cantilever and centerpull brakes use the same frame mounts? Or does a bike have to be purpose built for centerpulls?

Thanks in advance...

Steve Palincsar

Oct 22, 2019, 11:02:57 AM10/22/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

On 10/22/19 10:54 AM, PG wrote:
> Excuse my ignorance...
>
> Do cantilever and centerpull brakes use the same frame mounts?

Yes and no.  Paul Racers use standard (i.e., Mafac) cantilever posts.
Other centerpulls (Mafac, Diacompe, ReneHerse) use a mounting post that
is different from a cantilever post.

> Or does a bike have to be purpose built for centerpulls?

Yes,. for braze-on centerpulls.  Regardless of whether the post is the
same or not, the location of the post is very different for centerpulls
vs cantilevers.

You can, however, use a bolt-on centerpull on a bike equipped with
brazed-on cantilever posts, if there's a center hole.

> --

Steve Palincsar
Alexandria, Virginia
USA

Joe Bernard

Oct 22, 2019, 12:05:54 PM10/22/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Purpose-built. Centerpull and cantilever braze-ons are in different spots.

PG

Oct 22, 2019, 12:42:19 PM10/22/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
 Thanks for the insight. It seemed a bit complicated to me as I tried to research it...

George Schick

Oct 22, 2019, 2:02:13 PM10/22/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
PG - there's no such thing as a "dumb" question here.  Some may be complicated and require complicated answers; others may be simple and result it quick, easy answers.  That's what is great about this blog - ask anything and lots of people out there rapidly respond with their expertise and experience!

Joe Bernard

Oct 22, 2019, 2:41:40 PM10/22/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Centerpull braze-on questions are certainly not dumb. Canti-post bikes are everywhere and just about any canti or v-brake will fit most of them. So you see similar looking braze-ons but, oh, they're higher, they must be for centerpulls. Great, I'll just buy some centerpulls!

"Which centerpulls do you have braze-ons for?" 😐

Eric Norris

Oct 22, 2019, 4:22:30 PM10/22/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
By coincidence, Jen Heine weighs in today on centerpull brakes:

https://renehersecycles.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=eebeab1b859456885e4f6967d&id=672fe06a3c&e=af3f54c0cf

--Eric N

On Oct 22, 2019, at 11:41 AM, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:

Centerpull braze-on questions are certainly not dumb. Canti-post bikes are everywhere and just about any canti or v-brake will fit most of them. So you see similar looking braze-ons but, oh, they're higher, they must be for centerpulls. Great, I'll just buy some centerpulls!

"Which centerpulls do you have braze-ons for?" 😐

PG

Oct 22, 2019, 5:55:57 PM10/22/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Eric...

On Tuesday, October 22, 2019 at 1:22:30 PM UTC-7, Eric Norris wrote:
By coincidence, Jen Heine weighs in today on centerpull brakes:

Centerpull braze-on questions are certainly not dumb. Canti-post bikes are everywhere and just about any canti or v-brake will fit most of them. So you see similar looking braze-ons but, oh, they're higher, they must be for centerpulls. Great, I'll just buy some centerpulls!

"Which centerpulls do you have braze-ons for?" 😐

ascpgh

Oct 23, 2019, 6:24:14 AM10/23/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
No.

No dumb questions here. Someone just pointed out last week how there are so many standards that it's hard to pick one. If all the swirling ideas that reach manufacturing produce anything, it'll be questions. Even for brake mounting fixtures attached to the frame and fork.

Jan Heine (of Rene Herse Cycles, Bicycle Quarterly, reader and contributor here) just posted a blog entry about brake formats: https://janheine.wordpress.com

Not square on the head of your question, but enough context in the differentiation between cantilever and dedicated center mount  post locations to answer it.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

Mark Roland

Oct 24, 2019, 7:53:55 AM10/24/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
No dumb questions, but unhelpful subject lines. Something like "centerpull braze ons" or "frame mount centerpull" will help future listers who have the same question find this post. (And at the same time let current viewers have some inkling of what your post is about.)

PG

Oct 24, 2019, 10:32:53 AM10/24/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Is there a way to change the subject line?

Joe Bernard

Oct 24, 2019, 12:10:54 PM10/24/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I wouldn't worry about it, PG, anyone searching "centerpulls" will find it.