2021 Appaloosa thread

Jason Fuller

Jun 4, 2021, 1:01:43 PM6/4/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Now that the new Joe Appa's are hitting shelves (everywhere but at Rivendell, as is becoming the norm!) I reckon it's time for a central place to chat about them, a la the Platy thread!

Crust has their inventory live for purchase at $1650:
https://crustbikes.com/collections/frames/products/rivendell-joe-appaloosa

I will be abstaining because there is no line of reason that could possibly justify my buying one, but I look forward to living vicariously through others!

DSC07418-2_1800x1800.jpg

iamkeith

Jun 4, 2021, 1:35:09 PM6/4/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I don't have time to study nuances and geometries and subtle, running design changes like I used to, but I still sort of regret not getting a 58cm double-top-tuber from the first batch.  (When they were announced and went on sale, I was precluded by the fact that I was still waiting on a Clem from the first run, which ended up being almost - but not quite - ideal for me, so I eventually got rid of it.)

Can anyone provide a clear, accurate summary of how the details of this model have changed?

I know the seat tube sizes/designations are 1cm less, but did the top tubes or effective front-centers stay the same, or get shorter or, better yet, get LONGER?

I know the fork blades got stiffer/thicker after the first run.  Any other changes since.

Has tire clearance improved?

Have chainstays gotten longer or shorter, etc?

Thanks for any geeky analysis or datapoints.

Jason Fuller

Jun 4, 2021, 1:42:57 PM6/4/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Keith,

The current 57 Appa has a 10mm longer top tube than the old 58 Appa did!  Current 57 is a 625 effective TT, whereas the old 58 was 615.  Definitely sounds like good news for you!

Jason Fuller

Jun 4, 2021, 1:47:38 PM6/4/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I was a bit hasty there and neglected the other questions (well, the ones I can answer anyway):  No change to the chainstay length nor the tire clearance, just based on comparison of new and old geometry tables.  I'm not sure on other changes; Grant said this batch has slightly longer "bellies" to the butted tubes which make the frame a touch lighter and livelier, but that's as compared to the last batch rather than the first batch, so not necessarily relevant.

Addison Quarles

Jun 4, 2021, 11:01:04 PM6/4/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm so excited by this color! I saw it in person on Tuesday and can't stop staring at the photos I took (though I'm glad Crust posted some, because mine are kind of awful)
I rode an employee's around Walnut Creek for 45 minutes or so and then rode Grant's around the parking lot; both bikes couldn't have felt more different, and the fact that they're (essentially) the same frame marked just the versatility I'm after. Looking forward to having a Riv of my very own!
It's also really nice to hear that a chunk of their sales will be going to Pine Ridge. It sort of puts a finer point on "voting with your dollar"
By the way Jason, your bike almost sent me into a Bombadil quest like no other, but have decided I want to experience this long chainstay madness.

Damien

Jun 5, 2021, 9:15:13 PM6/5/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've always been a huge Appaloosa fanboy, and that Mermaid colour is sick! I'm honestly toying around with the idea of selling the Sam to grab one of these.

iamkeith

Jun 6, 2021, 2:04:28 PM6/6/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks, Jason, for the numbers.  I really have some hard thinking to do in the next couple of days.

Eric Marth

Jun 6, 2021, 4:23:57 PM6/6/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is the bike for me... (Long sigh)

Jason Fuller

Jun 6, 2021, 10:55:08 PM6/6/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
bicyclerepairium (sorry not sure what else to call you by!):  I reckon that, while the Bombadil is an awesome bike and I love how mine rides, the Appaloosa probably has its own strengths and is more comfy / compliant with that long frame!  Undoubtedly if I didn't have the Bombadil, I'd end up with a Sam / Joe combination.  Just both immensely useful bikes, though I could say the same about the Platypus and well, most Rivs.

Bones

Jun 7, 2021, 9:26:31 AM6/7/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I had a Sam / Joe combo at one point. The bikes were too similar to warrant keeping both (both 62 double TT, both had a 62.5 effective top tube). They are more differentiated now that the Joe grew a bit longer. So I replaced the Sam with a Roadini, and I just picked up a new Appaloosa. Orange. Love the mermaid but I'm a sucker for orange. It is obviously faster too. You aren't kidding about the "everywhere but Riv" comment. I've been waiting for them to come in and happened to pull up Crust's site Thursday night when I saw them available. Two days later I received it and built it. No pics yet though. I'm preparing for a trip to Vermont this week, and I plan on bringing it. I'm pretty close to my dream Riv lineup now: Roadini with drops for road riding, Appaloosa with swept back Billies, and of course my Mad Max Clem H off-road rig.

Bones

Eric Marth

Jun 11, 2021, 9:57:28 AM6/11/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Crust has another complete Appaloosa for sale, this one's 57cm. I'm not into the way this is set up but it's my size :)

Addison Quarles

Jun 12, 2021, 12:25:39 AM6/12/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm really curious to see how fast this batch sells. All of the excitement sure seems to suggest that they're going to be gone in a flash! I'm so plagued by anxiety of missing out on stuff I can hardly bear to shop online for things anymore, though I've missed out on the Sim Works Bubbly pedals every time they've popped up and I can't seem to stop crawling back to them.
Oh Jason, you (and everyone else) can call me Addison; I'd assumed my name displayed in the thread, but maybe I need to change a setting or something.
This will be my first Riv and will be rounding out my quiver quite nicely. Nothing I have right now will clear such a monstrous tire and I can't imagine I'll ever want to go on a ride that it can't handle, so between it and my two other main squeezes I might be able to resist buying (and keeping) another bike for some time.
All the best,
-Addison
Aspiring Appalooser

Jason Fuller

Jun 13, 2021, 1:03:48 AM6/13/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Cheers Addison!  Yeah, I get the feeling at least certain sizes and colors will go quick, with maybe the less popular (or less already-picked-over-by-dealers) permutations lasting a little longer - but probably hours to maybe days, rather than minutes.

Looks like the Montreal dealer has orange ones in-stock and available right now, and hey I suppose there's always a chance that if Riv themselves sell out, there'll still be the odd frame here and there at dealers (like happened with the Platy).  But if you're ready to buy when they hit the web, I am sure you'll get it.

Bones

Jun 14, 2021, 2:46:41 PM6/14/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Made it to Vermont and back. Glad to have an Appaloosa again. Did not get to do much riding; our site was about 1000' above the main road 3 miles below. Daunting climbs to begin with, and impossible with 2 small children. Next time I'll plan better. I was perfectly content laying around drinking beer with my dog anyway. It poured on us the whole ride up, but we had perfect weather the whole time we were there. I may change out the corks grips. Not nuts about how they look.

Bones

joe01.jpg

Matthew Williams

Jun 15, 2021, 12:23:06 AM6/15/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
For a 90.5 PBH, what would be the best frame size?

I'm 6'-0" and my old 58cm Appaloosa felt like the correct size for me, now I'm worried the 57 will be too small and the 60 will be too big.

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated. What say ye?

Kushan

Jun 15, 2021, 1:59:17 AM6/15/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I remember reading somewhere on the RBW site that you should pick the size for which your PBH is in the middle of the range. Based on the PBH ranges on Appaloosa page, I think that method would recommend 57.

My personal preference (you may be different) is to have my seat tube higher than lower - it looks better in general and leaves more real estate for saddle bag, tail light etc.

Joe Bernard

Jun 15, 2021, 2:40:57 AM6/15/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
What Kushan said, plus my understanding is the Appaloosa has a little more reach (effective toptube) in the current frames so the new 57 is probably close-to-exactly like the old 58.

Eric Marth

Jun 15, 2021, 7:17:49 AM6/15/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
FWIW the PBH ranges in yesterday's email are a little different than on the Appaloosa page:

Frame - PBH (That's assuming a 50mm tire.)

46 - 75-80.5cm
51 -  81-84cm
54 -  84 - 87cm
57 - 87.5 - 91cm
60 - 91-97.5cm

Eric Marth

Jun 15, 2021, 7:18:33 AM6/15/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Also, if you're worried, call Rivendell!

Michael Baquerizo

Jun 15, 2021, 12:15:15 PM6/15/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
thanks to (still not sure if i'm happy about it) this thread, I snagged a 51 in mermaid from Maine Bike Works. As much as I wanted one I wasn't going to get my hopes up from RBW, but regardless i'm excited to see how quick things move tomorrow.

unfortunately don't think i'm in a rush to build this one, financially but also i'm not sure i could get a set of wheels for it if i tried, at the moment.

Eric Marth

Jun 15, 2021, 3:18:28 PM6/15/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Despite the short thread here this sale seems to have been every bit as nuts as the Platypus release.

3:03
Orange: all frames sold out except for 46cm
Mermaid: 51cm sold out

3:06
Mermaid: 57cm sold out

3:10
Mermaid: 46cm sold out

3:14
Mermaid: 54cm sold out

3:16
Mermaid: 54cm available again?

Eric Marth

Jun 15, 2021, 3:34:05 PM6/15/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
By 3:30 only 46cm in orange and 60cm in mermaid.

That's another wild one for the books!

Jason Fuller

Jun 15, 2021, 3:41:03 PM6/15/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow, that did exceed expectation, though I knew it would be minutes and not hours like Will suggested.  I have to assume the number available was pretty low, since Riv's been sending out a bigger fraction to their dealer network lately.

I'm sure a lot of potential buyers who are less aware of the reality of being a small bike company than this crowd will be frustrated that Rivendell didn't just order more frames, but in reality there's something like an 18-24 month latency between wanting to order more frames and getting more frames - and sounds like 2022 will be the year of more Riv-supply!
Message has been deleted

Chris L

Jun 15, 2021, 6:04:41 PM6/15/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Based on what Will said RBW's expectations are, I have seven or eight months to make a decision on a 55 cm Atlantis.  And then, I would still have to try and snag one before they are all gone!

Jason Fuller

Jun 15, 2021, 6:17:17 PM6/15/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
When the Charlies eventually land, if I do decide to go ahead with one (very much possible), I am thinking it might be smartest to order thru a Riv dealer to secure it without the panic and potential disappointment.  Especially for me since I'm in Canada and there's a Canadian dealer that can save me a few bucks in shipping / duty most likely.

Joe Bernard

Jun 15, 2021, 6:39:16 PM6/15/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
That Canada dealer is a Riv lifesaver right now. And on your side of the border you win!

Joe Bernard

Message has been deleted

Roberta

Jun 15, 2021, 8:15:07 PM6/15/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
(edited to include an important piece of information)
Jason,

I bought my Platy from a Riv dealer because 1) it still supports Riv, 2) I KNEW I'd get one without the "Beat the Clock" game, 3) they can give me a different build than Riv can.  Once I placed my order with Analog, they started ordering parts for me, so when I wanted to pick up the bike, I didn't have to wait for that "one last item," like wheels (which had been ordered 5 months earlier)!

Now, I had the dealer (who I could drive to) do everything for me, but I do know that many (most) dealers who are reselling frames are requiring an additional $500 (US) in parts, so if you're building it up yourself, you might need to order some parts from your dealer.

For the frame only, I think the cost of tax (in the US, not the crazy high tax in Canada) equaled the shipping cost.

For the others, my first Riv, a 2016 Joe Appaloosa, was also purchased from the same group, I had a chance to ride it before I bought it,  and I LOVED that bike.  The ride is smooth and glorious and just one lap around the parking lot convinced me to spend more money on that bike than all the money I had spent on all my bikes, tires, maintenance in my lifetime--it was that good!  I did sell it for the Platy (after agonizing for MONTHS), which fits my riding style more, but if you do anything from asphalt to off road, you're in for a TREAT!  It's a great bike!

Roberta

PS Jason, I really enjoy your pics and ride reports.  Thank you.

Jason Fuller

Jun 15, 2021, 8:26:16 PM6/15/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Roberta - first off, thank you both for the feedback on the ride reports and especially for the detailed thought process.

I am not even sure yet whether the Charlie will be frameset or complete, because at one point Riv mentioned it being sold only as a complete, but I reckon parts availability might ultimately bend that plan. I also should confirm whether C&L Cylces would be willing to sell as a frameset if that's an option though I believe so far they have been willing to.  Even though I have a decent selection of parts on hand, I'd take a Riv build because the plan for this bike would be economical and functional - it would be the commuter, around-town lock up bike that the over-built Bombadil is used for.  It's great to have a bike that you spared no expense on... but I have too many of those!

Unfortunately C&L is even further geographically from me than Walnut Creek, but the peace of mind of getting a pre-order in is nice--plus, my landed price would probably still come in less than direct.  Tax on bikes here is only 5%, not too bad :)

I was very tempted by the Appaloosa, for sure!  I had a proper, Riv-quality paint job quoted for the Bombadil and let's just say that would have got me more than halfway to an Appa that comes with Riv-quality paint already applied. Instead, the Bombadil will stay clear-coated and the Charlie will be the next big temptation - and its quicker habit and lower cost will both suit my application better anyway!

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 5:08 PM Roberta <rcha...@gmail.com> wrote:
Jason,

I bought my Platy from a Riv dealer because 1) it still supports Riv, 2) I KNEW I'd get one without the "Beat the Clock" game, 3) they can give me a different build than Riv can.  Once I placed my order with Analog, they started ordering parts for me, so when I wanted to pick up the bike, I didn't have to wait for that "one last item," like wheels (which had been ordered 5 months earlier)!

Now, I had the dealer (who I could drive to) do everything for me, but I do know that many (most) dealers who are reselling frames are requiring an additional $500 (US) in parts, so if you're building it up yourself, you might need to order some parts from your dealer.

For the frame only, I think the cost of tax (in the US, not the crazy high tax in Canada) equaled the shipping cost.

For the others, my first Riv was also purchased from the same group, I had a chance to ride it before I bought it,  and I LOVED that bike.  The ride is smooth and glorious and just one lap around the parking lot convinced me to spend more money on that bike than all the money I had spent on all my bikes, tires, maintenance in my lifetime--it was that good!  I did sell it for the Platy (after agonizing for MONTHS), which fits my riding style more, but if you do anything from asphalt to off road, you're in for a TREAT!  It's a great bike!

Roberta

PS Jason, I really enjoy your pics and ride reports.  Thank you.

Addison Quarles

Jun 15, 2021, 10:14:45 PM6/15/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I just happened to be “in the neighborhood” and a little green horsey followed me home.
Let the fun begin!

Jared Wilson

Jun 15, 2021, 10:49:16 PM6/15/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow, it's beautiful, can't wait to see it built up.

Congrats!

Doug H.

Jun 16, 2021, 10:32:24 AM6/16/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
The bike frame looks awesome. And, your seats and stitching looks just like those in my 2018 Toyota RAV4 SE.
Doug

James / Analog Cycles

Jun 16, 2021, 10:32:56 AM6/16/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here at Analog we have a few frames in stock:

Rivendell Appaloosa 46cm
Bliver (1)

54 Bliver (2)

54cm  Dark Orange (1)

57 cm Bliver (1)

57cm Dark Orange (1)

60cm Dark Orange (1)

They're 1650 + at least 500 in parts or as a complete build.

Best, james / Analog Cycles
On Friday, June 4, 2021 at 1:01:43 PM UTC-4 Jason Fuller wrote:
Now that the new Joe Appa's are hitting shelves (everywhere but at Rivendell, as is becoming the norm!) I reckon it's time for a central place to chat about them, a la the Platy thread!

Crust has their inventory live for purchase at $1650:
https://crustbikes.com/collections/frames/products/rivendell-joe-appaloosa

I will be abstaining because there is no line of reason that could possibly justify my buying one, but I look forward to living vicariously through others!

DSC07418-2_1800x1800.jpg

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Jun 16, 2021, 12:17:56 PM6/16/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Analog, coming through for us again, whew! Let them build you a bike and ask them to put a Garbaruk drivetrain on it! So sexy.
Leah

Roberta

Jun 16, 2021, 2:23:30 PM6/16/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Eric, is that 3:30 eastern time, which means they nearly sold out in 30 minutes???

Eric Marth

Jun 16, 2021, 2:25:18 PM6/16/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, Roberta. Nearly sold out in 30 minutes!

Jason Fuller

Jun 16, 2021, 2:28:58 PM6/16/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
My size sold out in 3 minutes across both color options, which is the number I'm naturally most alarmed by!

Andrew Stevens

Jun 16, 2021, 5:56:25 PM6/16/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
We have a 51 and a 57 at Eastside Pedal Pushers in Austin, in the orange

Kushan

Jun 16, 2021, 5:59:57 PM6/16/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
For the folks who managed to get an Appaloosa yesterday (or through the dealers earlier), what type of build ideas are you thinking of? I got a 60 cm Mermaid and planning to have it built as an all-rounder with 80-90% pavement usage.

Addison Quarles

Jun 17, 2021, 2:04:53 AM6/17/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Kushan, I made off with a 54cm Mermaid and will be building it as a long distance, mostly paved touring rig. It’ll have big puffy tires, a heaving saddle bag, a legendary range of gears, and am trying to talk myself into or out of dynamo lighting.
Built the rear wheel tonight, will have the front wheel built once I make up my mind regarding the dynamo. Hoping to have it road ready before the weekend is over!

Jason Fuller

Jun 17, 2021, 2:17:50 AM6/17/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I honestly can't imagine choosing to build a front wheel that is not dynamo. Even my old folding bike has dynamo now haha - it's the best!!

Kushan

Jun 17, 2021, 4:07:44 AM6/17/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I got the Mermaid as well (60 cm). Wheels was the biggest decision for me as well. I was torn between the stock Cliffhangers vs. these bargain dynamo dyads. In the end, played it safe and went with the Cliffhangers because I have never bought bargain wheels online before and wasn't sure of their build quality.

Other than that, I am going with pretty much RBW recommended parts (from Will's recent newsletter) and Albatross handlebar. I saw a Mermaid Appa being rolled out while I was visiting the shop earlier today and that color looks way more blingy than the photos would have you think. Can't wait!

Collin A

Jun 17, 2021, 12:01:18 PM6/17/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks like I'm going to have to swing by and see it in person!

P.S. Dynamo all the way.

Collin, melting away, In Sacramento

Addison Quarles

Jun 17, 2021, 1:16:23 PM6/17/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Okay okay, you guys told me what I wanted to hear.
A Kasai FS hub and my big ol' squishy tires will be showing up tomorrow. I might swing for a SON someday, but this little guy should be more than sufficient for my "needs"
Looking like I'll be able to ride it home from work on Sunday!
You know where to find me, Collin. At the very least I owe you a test ride!

-Addison, laying on my cement floor

Doug H.

Jun 17, 2021, 1:23:08 PM6/17/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Which tires are you going with on the build? I'm looking at tires now too for my Clem build.
Doug

Addison Quarles

Jun 17, 2021, 1:34:53 PM6/17/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Doug, I settled on the Soma Supple Vitesse EX as I'm unable to find the Shikoros in the width I want (48mm)
I could've gotten the folding bead Everwear in 48 but I'm a sucker for brown sidewalls ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm skeptical of their durability, but having commuted on and gone on a loaded tour with Compass 700 x 32 EL tires with only two flat tires I might have some kind of good luck in that regard.
I'll post pictures once the wheel is done and the tires are on!

Addison Quarles

Jun 19, 2021, 1:27:37 PM6/19/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Appa2.JPG

Apologies if I inserted the photo improperly. It looks huge on my screen!
Anywho, here it is. It rides exactly like big, heavy bike should. I love every bit of mechanical advantage that 30x40 low gear gives me and those big, puffy tires feel like I'm walking on water.
Luggage is yet to be determined; I've got a Baggabond saddle bag that will likely wind up on it, but I can't figure out what to do up front.
This thing will take me down the coast this summer and who knows where else as time goes on.
What a fun bike this has been to build!

Kushan

Jun 19, 2021, 8:31:00 PM6/19/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow. That looks stunning. Are those VO Tourist bars? What about the rear rack?

Addison Quarles

Jun 19, 2021, 9:09:24 PM6/19/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thank you! I’ve spent a lot of time/mental RAM on the component choice (trying for equal parts of form and function) so I’m very happy it came out riding just as beautifully as it looks.
The bars are the Velo Orange Granola Bar mounted to their two bolt (31.8) stem. I’ll be trying these for a week and then giving a pair of the narrower bullmoose Bosco bars a try. I’m pretty sure I know which I will like more, but I’m also considering flaring the Bosco’s so they have the same profile as the Granola without being so noodly. The flatness of the Granola bar makes it a lot more versatile in terms of usable real estate; the drop off on the Bosco makes for only one truly firm hand position.
Oh, and the rack is the Nitto 32r. I think they called it the “medium big rack” or something like that. It seems to be discontinued, as all of the similar racks I’ve found lack the pannier rails below the platform.
Mr Jason Bombadil himself has the same rack on his beautiful unpainted masterpiece, which informed my purchase as his was the only photo I could find of one mounted on a bike.
Sorry I’m so blabby; I’m still in the overly excitable phase with this bike (bought it last week and only finished building it less than 24 hours ago) so thank you for baring with me!
-Addison

Michael Baquerizo

Jun 20, 2021, 9:20:32 PM6/20/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Anyone have experience fitting a 55 on an appaloosa? Never spent a bunch of money on tires before but want to try the yet to be released RH Umtanum Ridges for this bike.

Kushan

Jun 21, 2021, 1:08:35 AM6/21/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Michael - I am having mine built at RWB. They were out of the Appaloosa standard 48mm Shikoro tires and so they recommended 55mm Continental Contact Urban. I don't have the bike yet but given that RBW recommended those with fenders, I'd say 55mm should fit as long as it's not super knobby. I'd be happy to send some pics, once I have the bike (who am I kidding - I am going share pics even if you don't need them :) ).

Bones

Jun 21, 2021, 8:22:42 AM6/21/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sharp lookin' bike Addison. Smart build too!

Bones

Kevin

Jun 21, 2021, 11:30:00 AM6/21/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here is an Appaloosa with Maxxis Ikons and Cliffhangers. They are 2.2s, which which would be 55 or 56. Rims are Cliffhangers, which are about as wide a rim brake rim as you can come by.

Collin A

Jun 21, 2021, 1:08:04 PM6/21/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Michael,

I've snuck in some schwalbe g-one 650x55 tires in the fork with ample vertical space, but a bit tight near the legs/crown to where I wouldn't ride it in muddy conditions. There is more room in the rear, but I think the limiting spot was the near the brake bridge...this was also with the slightly larger 650x2.35 g-one speeds. See attached (bike has since been switched to drops, cantis and 650x50 RH slicks):
Capture.PNG
Collin, If its always a hot can you call it a heat wave, in Sacramento

Addison Quarles

Jun 21, 2021, 6:04:02 PM6/21/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Bones! Yours is a beaut, too. It fits right in among that field of flowers!
I’ll be camping on mine next week so I will get to see how it likes having weight on it.

Message has been deleted

Justin

Jun 22, 2021, 10:19:35 PM6/22/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
For Michael Baquerizo
Appaloosa with 700x2.25 Maxxis Ikon and 700x2.2 RH Fleecer Ridge

51263110297_bdb988a306_c[1].jpg
51264579819_74982d3456_c[1].jpg

Michael Baquerizo

Jun 24, 2021, 2:42:41 AM6/24/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
appreciate the info. buying parts for this bike bit  by bit so the tires, despite their sticker shock, shouldn't hurt too much...i think.

Calvin Yolo

Jun 24, 2021, 2:43:05 AM6/24/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
There's one 46cm in Mermaid available right now on Riv's site.

Joe Shoemaker Music

Jun 24, 2021, 12:07:33 PM6/24/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
B7650282-6680-419C-871B-FFC551C47F7D.jpeg
I’m running Schwalbe Thunder Burt 2.25 ( ~57mm) tires on cliffhangers and they fit just fine. The ride is like a cloud too.

Matthew Williams

Jun 24, 2021, 12:17:17 PM6/24/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Nice! Whereabout is that--Napa, Alviso, or points beyond?

Message has been deleted

Joe Shoemaker Music

Jun 24, 2021, 3:14:46 PM6/24/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks, this is in south Napa. Beautiful riding everywhere you turn around here

Adrian Harwood

Jun 25, 2021, 10:59:43 AM6/25/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Absolutely drooling over this build…

bp

Jun 30, 2021, 9:56:28 PM6/30/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
After snagging one of the orange 60cm frames (completed checkout in 45 seconds!) the big brown truck made a delivery Monday. The build is complete and tonight was the test ride. All I can say is, wow. It's replacing a 62cm earlier generation Appaloosa and while it feels the same, it has it's own character. Maybe a better fit for me? Maybe geometry refinements by that mad genius bike architect? Either way, I'm thoroughly enjoying the ride. It ranks high on the smile meter, and that's enough for me.

IMG_1977.jpeg

IMG_1975.jpeg

Doug H.

Jun 30, 2021, 10:09:15 PM6/30/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Nice build! And the scenery isn't bad either. It looks like you chose the Advent 1x10 drivetrain. Are you using the Microshift thumb-shifter?
Doug

bp

Jun 30, 2021, 10:28:31 PM6/30/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
It’s the Advent 1x9 with Microshift thumbie. I had it on hand before the Advent X came out, which currently doesn’t have thumb shifter or barcon options. Nice, economical system.

Justin

Jun 30, 2021, 10:43:35 PM6/30/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Fantastic Appaloosa! How the heck did I miss the memo that Riv was now doing single top tube larger size bikes again? MY double top tube size 58 is free to a good home... in trade for a single top tube version.

brendonoid

Jul 1, 2021, 2:50:15 AM7/1/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Similar story, but my single TT 57cm just feels more right than my 58 double tt did. Better fit? Slightly more ideal geo? Just a better colour?
We aren't talking earth shattering differences, but the differences are good ones.

brendonoid

Jul 1, 2021, 2:58:24 AM7/1/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
BP, your bike build is excellent. Can I please ask which handlebar that is and also do you like the new Beartrap pedals?

Eric Marth

Jul 1, 2021, 7:22:00 AM7/1/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Brent -- That's a nice looking bike there! The friscalating dusklight is complimentary. Where, geographically, are you riding?

bp

Jul 1, 2021, 10:54:26 AM7/1/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Brendon - Nitto Kite bars. Ordered from Blue Lug many years ago. Keep swapping out, keep coming back time and again. Close matches are Soma Osprey or Riv Wavie. Beartraps are OK. Comfortable. Aggressive grip on shoes. And my shins/calves.

Eric - that's out my front door in central Iowa.

Tim Bantham

Jul 3, 2021, 8:46:50 AM7/3/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks all for posting pictures of your Appaloosa builds. It has inspired me to hang on to mine and give it more love. Question for those of you running wider tires (2.25) How much mud clearance does it leave when riding a tire of that size. I am thinking about upgrading from 2.0 WTB Venture tires to 2.25 Thunder Burts. Just wondering how well the tire will fit on Cliffhanger rims. Would appreciate any insight on clearances.

Kushan

Jul 21, 2021, 1:41:24 AM7/21/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
After a few weeks of obsessively checking, finally got a note from Will that it's ready. Picked up my 60 cm Appaloosa arrived today. I took it for a quick 10 mile spin on local paved trail and ride quality has exceeded expectations. It is joyfully upright (Albatross bars), planted, and climbs well. It makes me want to just keep pedaling and forget about things like speed, heart rate, and strava.

Here are some pictures

Kushan

Jul 21, 2021, 1:43:24 AM7/21/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
P.S. It turns out that my frame pump, Zefal HPX4, is a tad too short for 60 cm Appa (although it fits fine on 61 Roadini). To my knowledge, HPX4 is the largest size pump Zefal makes. If anyone has recommendations on larger frame pump (or hacks on how to make HPX4 work), please let me know. It's a bummer because I just got this one a few weeks ago.

Eric Marth

Jul 21, 2021, 7:45:28 AM7/21/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Rad bike, Kushan, and congrats!

I don't have any experience hacking an HPX4 but maybe you could add some felt washers to the piston between the handle and the main frame body to effectively add to the overall length of the pump when compressed.

esoterica etc

Jul 21, 2021, 8:59:12 AM7/21/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Kushan,

Zefal makes plastic pump pegs that you can secure around any tube on your bike. I'm using one on my Atlantis to hold a Zefal pump and it works great (mine's an FPX , not an HPX, but they fit the pegs just the same). I've got an extra one if you'd like, let's say $10 shipped. PM me if you're interested. Cheers,

~Mark
Raleigh, NC

On Jul 21, 2021, at 07:45, Eric Marth <eric...@gmail.com> wrote:

Rad bike, Kushan, and congrats!
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/23372928-38ca-4675-89b2-beed9d0738cen%40googlegroups.com.

J Schwartz

Jul 21, 2021, 9:34:32 AM7/21/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think that's one of the nicest set-up MIT Atlantis' I've seen.  Is that a 56 or 53?
JS

esoterica etc

Jul 21, 2021, 8:25:50 PM7/21/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the compliment JS! It's a 56cm with 650b wheels. Such a fantastic bike. Cheers,

~Mark
Raleigh, NC

On Jul 21, 2021, at 09:34, J Schwartz <jasonas...@gmail.com> wrote:

I think that's one of the nicest set-up MIT Atlantis' I've seen.  Is that a 56 or 53?

Adam Smith

Jul 22, 2021, 10:27:41 AM7/22/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi all, I'm new around here. I've been lurking ever since I managed to snag a 60cm orange Appaloosa frame from Rivendell back in June, which was somewhat of a pandemic impulse purchase. I've wanted a Rivendell for years, but had no real intention of buying a bike this year...until I saw the email from Riv. I'm beyond thrilled and so excited to finally own a Rivendell!

So now Riv is waiting for me to make up my mind on components so they can build it for me. I might be overthinking things a bit. Help!

I'm stuck on what gearing and shifting to go with...

Since I have a 1x11 on my 29er+ and I have 3x9 gearing on my roadie bike, I was leaning towards 2x10 on this one to try something new and it seems to give me the about right range for this "I'm not sure where I'm gonna ride this bike exactly, probably here, probably there, maybe over there" bike. I live in the Catskills, NY, so there's definitely lotsa hills, plenty of country back roads, some gravel and dirt roads for sure, trails too. I might take her bike camping, why not. Or maybe classic 3x9 gearing for the widest range possible and I'm so undecided. I'm happy to go with the Silver brand cranks, but do I need a chain guard. Ooh, those White Industries cranks are beautiful, but I don't need that. But maybe I do?

I've never tried friction shifting, so I wanna try it out. Was leaning towards just going with the Silver bar-end shifters and call it a day. Oh, but the Dura ace bar-end shifters provide both indexed and friction, at least for the 9sp shifters. Indexed only for the 10sp shifters, I think. That could be a way to try out friction, but have indexed mode if it ain't for me.

All else is decided, just hemming and hawing over these two last details.

Thoughts?

Take care, and happy to have found this forum!

Adam

Michael Baquerizo

Jul 22, 2021, 10:28:22 AM7/22/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
https://www.ebay.com/itm/291975824997

the zefal pump pegs mentioned in this thread. although i'm not sure this size pertains as I own one and tried using it, i don't recall where but it was too big.

Collin A

Jul 22, 2021, 11:32:52 AM7/22/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Adam,

Welcome to the cult (err, google group)! If you are lucky, you will end up tinkering on the bike constantly and this decision on whether to go 2x10 or 3x9, etc. will be an inconsequential one. Honestly, i'm surprised there are enough parts out there to make that decision!

But in regards to gearing, a 2x system on a triple crank does let you put on a chainguard which helps with the 'go anywhere' style of bike it sounds like you are trying to achieve and increased utility (like wearing pants to work!).

Friction is fun, and the silver2 shifters are pretty dang good at it (and easy to switch from thumbies to bar ends if you have the mounts for it). I currently have a full drop bar cockpit sitting in my closet that can be switched over to my Joe if I once again decide that uprights aren't for me...but the point is, I can switch between the 2 without much hassle thanks to the silver2s.

Either way, best to make a decision soon so you can ride the bike sooner rather than later! There are no 'wrong' decisions to be made here...

Collin in Sacramento

Kushan

Jul 22, 2021, 12:13:01 PM7/22/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Welcome Adam -

+1 to what Collin said above.

I went with 2x9 wide-low crank on my 60 Appaloosa and I am loving it so far. I also live in a terrain filled with hills and rollers and so far (it's only been two days though) haven't missed the third big ring. Plus I love the look of the chainring guard on the silver cranks.

I also went with the silver bar end shifters and loving the experience. I am a bit biased as I already have friction shifter on my other bike. I would say that if you're going to give friction shifting a try, do it with the best shifter out there (Silver). It's a relatively easy part to change later if you don't end up liking it.

Kushan

Jul 22, 2021, 12:14:41 PM7/22/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Michael.

Kushan

Jul 22, 2021, 12:18:07 PM7/22/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Mark. I am goign to play around with this a bit. My concern with mounting along seat tube is that the gap between the seat stay is pretty wide. While the peg will support the pump near the crank, there won't be any support on seat collar end. Will try it out and report the findings.

Bones

Jul 23, 2021, 7:40:16 AM7/23/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Adam, I would go with a 2x9 or 2x10, silver wide/low with the chain guard. Excellent value. Appaloosas are great for hauling lots of stuff, and if you take it on trails, I doubt you will need that big ring. Every time I've set up a triple on mine, it's never lasted long because I never need that much gearing, and it's pretty flat around me. I agree also with the silver shifters. I've used the dura ace bar ends that do index/friction, but if you don't need that option, the silver shifters are the smoothest thing around. Bar ends or maybe thumbies if you've got lots of real estate on the bars (Billies, Choco's, etc.). Good luck!

Bones

Eric Marth

Jul 25, 2021, 6:30:32 PM7/25/21
to RBW Owners Bunch

Andrew Stevens

Jul 26, 2021, 11:22:15 AM7/26/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Eastside Pedal Pushers in Austin, TX still has a 57 in orange

Cheers
Andrew

Michael Baquerizo

Jul 28, 2021, 1:41:53 PM7/28/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
For Kushan and anyone else : confirming those pump pegs fit fine on the seat tube, top tube, and tubes with similar dimensions. I wanted to use it for the seat stays on my Sam but obviously that didn't work out.

Kushan

Aug 3, 2021, 1:03:16 AM8/3/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
So here is the update on the frame pump situation in case others are in the same boat.

I considered getting the clip-on peg and attach it to the seat tube for a solution similar to Mark's Atlantis above. I noticed that I was actually able to fit an HPX4 pretty well without even needing a peg. The only problem was that the pump ended up pushing against the front derailer cable (see picture). I could have tried fiddling with the derailer cabling but didn't want to mess up risking a perfecting functional front derailer (it is unlikely I would ever be able to adjust the derailer as smooth as the RBW pros). So I ended up forgoing this option.

Eric's suggestion of adding extra washers to the pump was promising but the issue was that HPX pumps are not designed to be dissembled in the area where the washer would go. At this point, I had pretty much given up and had started mentally justifying the insanely expensive but longer alternative from Silca. But then in a moment of pedal-powered inspiration, I came up with the idea of using twine to replicate what the extra washers would have accomplished. The result is a perfectly fitting pump at the cost of few inches of twine (and a minor loss in pump stroke volume).
image2.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image0.jpeg
image3.jpeg

Kushan

Aug 28, 2021, 1:29:37 AM8/28/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
No new posts on this thread in a while.. I must say - i am starting to get jealous of all fun that Leah and other Platty owners having in the other corner of this site. C'mon Appa owners - show us your new pride and joy!

Johnny Alien

Aug 28, 2021, 7:30:15 AM8/28/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I saw that Crust has a small Appaloosa frame for sale.

Collin A

Aug 29, 2021, 4:54:33 PM8/29/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'll bite! Here is my 2020 Joe after yet another (two) cockpit switches and some knobbly tires...it is reverting back to a MTB after taking an 8 month hiatus for more road and gravel rides:
PXL_20210829_204735369.jpg

Collin, in Smokramento

Kushan

Aug 30, 2021, 12:09:58 PM8/30/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice set up Colin. Those Stronglight cranks is not something I see very frequently.. How do those metal fenders do on MTB rides? With the recent posts by Jason and Will (one of the newsletters a few weeks ago), I have been wondering if I should take mine off before going to longer trail rides.

Collin A

Aug 30, 2021, 12:31:47 PM8/30/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! The cranks are just the Sugino cranks with a rebrand and a slightly different inner ring spacing, but I mostly got them for the 165 length and that they were in stock.

Regarding fenders, these particular ones are new, but I used to use 2.2" tires and the simworks flat65 fenders on the bike and they worked fine (I use the berthoud QR clips on the front and the 20mm clearance recommended by RH, so doubly cautious). There has only been one instance where I have felt a little dicey with MTB trails and fenders, and that was the cinderella trail in Joaquin Miller in Oakland at the steep rock garden.

The 'MTB' trails around Sacramento are all hard pack dirt/sand with some river rock here and there so nothing I am worried about when it comes to fenders...and it doesn't get too sticky when it gets wet either. Also less debris to get caught up in the fenders too, at this point in the year its all ash :(

Cheers,
Collin in Sactown

--
Collin A
Message has been deleted

Eric Marth

Sep 5, 2021, 12:23:43 PM9/5/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here's my 54cm Appaloosa. Pretty much stock build with brass anywhere I could manage it.

appaloosa_exsm00.jpgappaloosa_exsm00A.jpgappaloosa_exsm03.jpgappaloosa_exsm05.jpgappaloosa_exsm07.jpg

J Schwartz

Sep 5, 2021, 6:47:15 PM9/5/21
to RBW Owners Bunch

Surprised to see all these 29x2.25 tires on the larger Apps.   Curious if the there are increased clearances on the newer frames.  I have a 2019 silver 55 Appaloosa (newer version with the RBW seat tube decal...not the older J.A. in the star decal)....Tim, I think that's the same as yours.   I've been running 2.1 Thunderburts on Cliffhangers.   I just mounted up some Sim Works super yummy 29x2.22's, tubeless on the same Cliffhangers and they appear to be just barely rubbing the chainstays.  Like just enough so you can hear it.
I haven't measured the actual width off that combo with a caliper yet but I wonder if it's more than 56.3mm.  The front seems fine ...and there are no probs at the rear brake bridge...just getting squeezed at the chain stay by 1mm.  Any tricks to minimize that?

JS

brendonoid

Sep 5, 2021, 7:20:19 PM9/5/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
The clearance difference between my 2018 Appa and my 2020 appa at the chainstays is by eye at least 10mm. I will try to remember to measure it at some point.
It is loading more messages.