Introduction and "Classic" Roadini

Jim Plaugher

Jul 13, 2020, 10:46:41 AM7/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi folks! I'd like to properly introduce myself and tell the story of my first Rivendell, a 58 Roadini.
I have been a long time listener to this group, but for many years, bicycling has meant commutng year round in the midwest, on my modified Fuji MTB, a bike I used think had a long wheelbase! As a Rivendell member in the days when the "Reader" was on paper, I enjoyed Grant's writings celebrating the practicalness of bikes, usefulness of saddlebags and his encouragement to prioritize comfort. I enjoy reading all of Grant's writings and I enjoy reading the posts to this group. You are all so expressive with words! I hope it rubs off on me, as I would like to be better at writing.
For the last year I have been living in North East Iowa on top of a bluff with 2.5 miles of a steep gravel road before I hit the scenic paved highway along the Mississippi River. So the Roadini in the picture is nice and clean as it is not my first choice when I head out the door. 26X2.00 feels safer to me than 700X35C on the gravel. But the Leo is really nice to ride, once on the highway!
I am sentimental about some bike components and often remember the history of parts I have traded. This bike has a Phil Wood front hub my family gave me for Christmas.The rear is a 40H first generation Phil freewheel hub with radial lacing on the none-drive side. It came from trading parts from a Peugeot PX1O. I gave up the sewup wheels in favor of parts,I considered to be more practical. The noodle bars and the Shimano 600 cranks also came from the Peugeot. So now I have a bike with a frame from Rivendell, not just various parts. I enjoy experiencing the Rivendell design through riding, and not just reading! I hope to contrbute to conversations in the future.
Jim in Lansing Iowa
20191111_155052.jpg

Lyman Labry

Jul 13, 2020, 1:46:30 PM7/13/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Really beautiful bike and set up!  Curious, have you weighed the bike?  Thanks!

Brady Smith

Jul 13, 2020, 4:47:04 PM7/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Love the bike, and good to see a fellow Iowan on this list. I live in NJ now and while we have some great cycling I do miss the miles and miles of quiet country roads.

Patrick Moore

Jul 13, 2020, 9:03:58 PM7/13/20
to rbw-owners-bunch
Another pretty orange bike. Welcome, and kudos on the nice build.

Patrick Moore

RichS

Jul 14, 2020, 10:53:03 AM7/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jim,

That's a super clean and well appointed Roadini. One of the nicest I've seen. Congratulations on your first Rivendell!

Best,
Rich in ATL

Jim Plaugher

Jul 16, 2020, 12:14:46 AM7/16/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I haven't weighed it. It has a light "let's just go a ride" feel, but is also very stable. I don't weigh it down with a large saddlebag like my Mt Fuji. So I have to bring a back pack for shopping. Back packs don't count as part of the bike weight, right?

Jim in Lansing Iowa

Zack Medow

Jul 17, 2020, 12:19:11 PM7/17/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
That's a really gorgeous build. Congratulations and enjoy!