Chacos vs. Bedrocks

Dave Grossman

Aug 18, 2019, 10:00:04 PM8/18/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Need some opinions from anyone who has owned Chacos and Bedrocks......I know you are out there.

My old Z1's are coming undone at the outsole.  I might send them in for resoling, but I am debating trying the Bedrocks.  I've read great reviews and heard some IRL positive feedback but the toe strap scares me a bit.  I have heard they are great for riding as well, which I do a lot in my Chacos too.  Mostly they we be for all sorts of warm weather adventuring when I don't want to take my hikers.

Justin, Oakland

Aug 18, 2019, 11:24:17 PM8/18/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Depends on which Bedrocks. The non-3d versions are very very thin compared to Chacos. Plus the retention doesn't feel as LOCKED IN as Chacos feel. The toe strap takes some getting used to but in the long run I think they are a great adventure sandal. I have non-3d Cairns and would definitely get the Cairn with the thicker sole in the future.

-J

Drw

Aug 19, 2019, 12:30:58 AM8/19/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I went from chacos to bedrocks and like them much better. Chacos sole is really thick. Unnecessarily thick, in my opinion. Bedrocks have a grippier foot cushion that is still thin enough to feel some connection to the ground, and the cairn 3D pro’s outsole is definitely thick enough for pretty scrappy hiking. I’ve taken mine on some hikes I wouldn’t consider bringing chacos on. Not that chacos would fall apart or anything, but they feel too chunky on my feet for sandal hiking.

Jonathan D.

Aug 19, 2019, 2:21:22 AM8/19/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Chacos have a high arches and thick soles. I tried them and the arch kills my feet and I can’t wear them without getting leg pains. The Chacos are also really heavy.

I tried the bedrock sandals and love them. The sole is thinner with zero drop. The shoe is very light but doesn’t move on my foot and is substantial enough to wear all day, including hiking, and light enough to forget I have them on. I highly recommend the bedrock. I got them for my wife and she also loves them. I know folks love Chacos but they don’t work work for me and the bedrocks were amazing from day 1.

ascpgh

Aug 19, 2019, 8:15:39 AM8/19/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm a Chaco Z2 guy. I tried a pair of Astrals that had trimmer sole profile, and less chunky sole. They also had straps between the toe that I favored of Chacos since my first pair in earliest '90s when they lead me away from Tevas. As a connected foot cyclist for physiological reasons, I find almost no shoe comfortable on platform pedals, they all seem so overbuilt compared to my Sidis.

The Astrals flip flop strap design, like the Bedrocks, with an adjustable sub strap that can go behind the heel from the span of each of the two main ones, or flip forward in front of your lower shin so you can get in and out without using it. Seemed great.

What brought me back to Chacos was the security on my feet without constriction. The Astral's rear strap was the only adjustment and simply shoved my foot into the thong yoke of the main straps, and that was lots of the time. Various sandals I've tried don't have a secure fit, discovered in the midst of whitewater paddlesports, river access or on-trail experiences. I'm not apologetic if such rotates around my foot while seeking footing in the water, in a boat, on the trail or the messy mix of any.

My feet are "low volume" in the shoe-boot lexicon, they measure just a bit wider than a dead-on medium in the linear scale of the Brannock device, but in circumference are pretty trim. I have to pick and choose to find shoes that will nominally close around my foot without producing wrinkles or puckers in material excess of what my foot cross section requires. Chacos have had the best encircling strap arrangement sandal (without turning into a vented shoe) to keep the sole on the bottom of my foot through a variety of situations. Again, my riding impression isn't a good measure since I'm not fully comfortable outside of cycling shoes when riding.

Our friend who most utterly prefers riding in her Chacos:

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

Christopher Cote

Aug 19, 2019, 8:23:30 AM8/19/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I prefer the Chaco Z1 strap system to the Bedrocks. I don't love the tall heel of the Chacos, I prefer the zero-drop sole that Bedrock offers. As others have stated, the Chacos are heavy. I didn't bond with the original Bedrocks, but the new ones with the 3D footbed are working out pretty well for me. If Chaco would make a zero drop Z1, that would be perfect.

Chris

Leaf Slayer

Aug 19, 2019, 8:37:03 AM8/19/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I purchased a pair of Chacos years ago and never liked them for cycling or even walking. They were heavy and just not comfortable. I tried to like the basic Tevas like Grant has used for years and while i find them fine for walking, never liked them for cycling. I purchased a pair of Bedrock Cairns, the 3D model and pretty quickly took to them. I've been wearing them all summer for everything. Did multiple hikes in them, the longest being 8 miles. The longest ride I did in them was 70 miles over mixed terrain. They not great on overgrown singletrack for obvious reasons. I purchased a second pair but went for the basic Cairn with the thin sole to take on vacation. Turns out I love those even more. I can see how they're not for everyone but they certainly work for me. I'll be bummed when the weather starts to turn here and I have to put them away. Fortunately Altra looks to have a new shoe I may use for cycling through winter--the Wahweap.

--mike

Alex Wirth- Owner, Yellow Haus Bicycles

Aug 19, 2019, 10:26:21 AM8/19/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
No Chaco experience but I had a pair of Bedrock Cairns for a couple years. Absolutely live in them until the weather turns too cold. I upgraded to the 3D adventure pro for the thicker midsole and marine/“sticky” outsole for sailing. My only complaint was the amount of cushioning the original cairns when on pavement all day. I had to be really conscious of my gate or my knees would feel it the next day (osteo arthritic). Prob not a concern for most people but I figured it was telling considering I don’t have that problem in sneakers.

If you’re a size ten you’re welcome to my old cairns for the cost of shipping. They have plenty of life left in them even after two seasons of near daily use.

Cheers,

Alex

Neil Doran

Aug 19, 2019, 4:08:41 PM8/19/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Has anybody tried the Bedrocks and found that the toe strap configuration bothers their feet? That is the problem with my current set of Chacos, I find the 'toe noose' very uncomfortable. I love the thick sole of the Chacos for riding, but a lighter sandal also sounds quite nice. Just don't know if I would be equally bothered by the Bedrock retention system.

Justin August

Aug 19, 2019, 4:28:52 PM8/19/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Its very different on each type of sandal IME.  I would say if it bothers you at first to lube it with some coconut oil and keep going.

On Aug 19, 2019, at 1:08 PM, Neil Doran <neil.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

Has anybody tried the Bedrocks and found that the toe strap configuration bothers their feet? That is the problem with my current set of Chacos, I find the 'toe noose' very uncomfortable. I love the thick sole of the Chacos for riding, but a lighter sandal also sounds quite nice. Just don't know if I would be equally bothered by the Bedrock retention system.

Leaf Slayer

Aug 19, 2019, 7:08:45 PM8/19/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've never been a fan of flip flops because of the toe piece. It bothered me at first on the BR but really, that lasted for about 5 minutes into my first 15 minute walk in them. I just did a 40 mile ride in them today and yet again they were perfect. I will now where them to go get coffee and run some errands.

Not to derail things but just want to put in a plug for MUSA shorts. I have 2 pair that are both about 10yrs old and they remain the most comfortable cycling shorts I own. I want to like my cut off Ben's but they just don't cut it for anything over 10 miles.

--mike

jinxed

Aug 19, 2019, 7:29:09 PM8/19/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Interesting timing on this...I have been looking into the Bedrocks as well with similar questions. I have a pair of Chacos and honestly cant stand them. Or stand IN them more to the point. They make the soles of my feet burn for lack of better description, are silly heavy, and I REALLY dislike the toe loop. I wore Tevas for years, and I'm an avid flip flop wearer in the hot months. Neither have been a problem. Kind of bummed on the Chacos actually as they were the most spendy sandals I've bought to collect dust in the closet. When Bedrock introduced with the originals, I liked all but the super thin sole, now it seems the Cairn really hits that sweet spot.

My questions are regarding the difference between the Cairn regular and 3D footbeds. I understand one is flat and one is contoured, but is the contoured one a lot thicker or something? Pictures seem to show very little contouring on the 3D aside from a small line under the toes, is that really the only difference? I get the pro version has a stickier rubber, but would be the same footbeds as the reg/3D right? Is there any benefit to that little ridge?

Robert Hakim

Aug 19, 2019, 7:48:25 PM8/19/19
to RBW Owners Bunch

On Monday, August 19, 2019 at 12:21:22 AM UTC-6, Jonathan D. wrote:
Chacos have a high arches and thick soles.  I tried them and the arch kills my feet and I can’t wear them without getting leg pains.   The Chacos are also really heavy.

You and I are quite opposite! I love the chacos because I have a wicked high arch. They are one of the few "shoes" I've found that help keep my leg pain at bay. I even have a second pair I wear inside while I'm cooking or standing around the house. Unless there is a foot of snow on the ground I usually wear them through the winter, as they seem to fit my arches almost perfectly at a fraction of the price of custom insoles.

They are fairly heavy, you are right about that... I don't usually take them backpacking, or bike camping for that very reason.

As far as the bedrocks go... I get bouts of achilles tendinitis just watching my friends wear them!

Dave, I suppose the best thing you could do is buy them from a retailer with a generous return policy like REI, Zappos, or Backcountry.com so you can walk around with them for a few days to see if they suit your needs.

Robert "Hell or High Arches?" Hakim
SLC, UT

j.schwartz

Aug 19, 2019, 9:17:52 PM8/19/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Can any Bedrock wearers speak to the differences in the models and/or footbeds.
is one or the other better suited to biking on flat wide pedals?

Andrew Huston

Aug 19, 2019, 9:22:03 PM8/19/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have and live my bedrock Cairns. Work great on grippy flat pedals. I have some Chaco yampas that is like to sell at a great price if anyone lives them. Like new, size 8

Andrew Huston

Aug 19, 2019, 9:44:12 PM8/19/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Geez, LOVES not LIVES!

Robert Barr

Aug 19, 2019, 9:46:30 PM8/19/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I wear the Cairn Pro Adventure. They work great with my Grip Kings. I like the non 3D version because I prefer to have the sandal form to my foot.

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019, 9:22 PM Andrew Huston <firsttolast...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have and live my bedrock Cairns. Work great on grippy flat pedals. I have some Chaco yampas that is like to sell at a great price if anyone lives them. Like new, size 8

Drw

Aug 19, 2019, 10:54:01 PM8/19/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have an almost new pair of chacos, z1 I think, no toe loop, all black, MUSA, vibrant sole....if anyone wants to purchase them.

As for the bedrock cairns, my understanding is that most of the difference is in the outsole. The footbed of even the cairn 3D pro is pretty uncontoured and mostly flat.

Elias Hakim

Aug 20, 2019, 1:25:37 AM8/20/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
What size and how much for those z1's?

-Robert
SLC,UT

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 8:54 PM Drw <drewbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have an almost new pair of chacos, z1 I think, no toe loop, all black, MUSA, vibrant sole....if anyone wants to purchase them.

As for the bedrock cairns, my understanding is that most of the difference is in the outsole. The footbed of even the cairn 3D pro is pretty uncontoured and mostly flat.

ascpgh

Aug 20, 2019, 6:46:15 AM8/20/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Robert,

I think you touched what's possibly the dividing line!

Achilles tendonitis or plantar fasciitis will change the way you assess shoe fit. I've had a go at both and now I use Birkenstock 3/4 footbeds in my shoes at work. Chacos have more contouring of their footbed, like a Birkenstock, and if you've never had those troubles, it seems excessive. For me, the arch(es) and shaping are reassuring when they're on my feet.

Our friend, pictured in her Chacos, is in Birkenstocks otherwise weather permitting. Professional ballet did a number on her feet, and she's picky about her footwear as a car-free bicyclist and pedestrian.

If Z2 toe straps feel more cinched later in the day it can be fluid retention in your feet, a signal for some electrolyte replacement. I try to keep mine adjusted often. When I wash them (often) I really work the strap movement to clean the webbing under the footbed and the channels they move in, it facilitates some movement per your foot while wearing them.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

Ron Mc

Aug 20, 2019, 9:17:37 AM8/20/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is exactly why they fit me, but like all shoes made from recycled rubber, Chacos have finite life, and fail with surprise.  Merrills fit me the same way and last much longer.

jinxed

Aug 20, 2019, 9:58:57 AM8/20/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
We should start a ROG Sandal Exchange Program! Thank you for the comments on the differences, that was my take as well. I did notice there is a different pattern in the footbeds between the regular and pro, so it made me curious if that material was somehow different too.? Not sure I need sticky rubber for water here in Colorado...I'm primarily a dry land animal. But the NON 3D sounds the ticket for sure.

I suppose I'll throw my Z1 Blue Mens 9 in the ring. Maybe 4 wears on them? PM if interested, I could snap some pics.

Justin August

Aug 20, 2019, 10:21:35 AM8/20/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Compounds:
Pro is sticky for water.

Insoles:
3D is thicker sole and slight contour to footbed.

Outsoles:
Cairn is lugged hiking tred
Geo is flattened lugs for casual usage
Plain is slithky textures outsole.

Justin August

Aug 20, 2019, 10:36:37 AM8/20/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Also:
I was told by the Bedrock guys when I bought mine that the Pro wears much faster than the regular outsole so to only get it if you really are going into the water.

Drw

Aug 20, 2019, 11:30:45 AM8/20/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
10m I think. Maybe 10.5. 50$+shipping?

Dave Grossman

Aug 20, 2019, 1:38:03 PM8/20/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm glad to have started the sandal solidarity economy!

Tim Bantham

Aug 20, 2019, 2:58:13 PM8/20/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I can't comment on the Chacos but I do own the Bedrock 3D Cairn. I absolutely love these! I've been wearing them nearly everyday this summer. I originally ordered the Classic model but returned them when I saw how thin the soles were. You need the thicker sole to be comfortable on your pedals if you intend to use them for biking. I wear mine on the bike and think they are perfect. When I first received mine in the mail I went on a week long bike tour and wore these as my only pair of shoes. I wouldn't recommend this approach. At first I was bothered by the strap between my toes but since have gotten used to it and now don't think about it. The one valuable tip that I can share is that your comfort is dependent upon how you adjust them for fit. Follow the instructions both for sizing and how to adjust the straps. At first I had them too tight but once I dialed in the fit they now feel very comfortable!

Deacon Patrick

Aug 20, 2019, 3:31:01 PM8/20/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
A semi-brief comment in general on minimalist shoes/sandals: They are wonderful. No cushion, thin as possible, no support, and foot shaped (w-i-d-e forefoot). I used to "need" orthotics (since age 12), had severe tendon issues and flat feet. Going barefoot strengthened my feet, shortened them from a size 12-13 to an 11.5, widened my forefoot considerably, and no need for support of any kind. But transition requires patience and not doing too-much-too-soon. Initial transition/strengthening took 3 months with 100% barefoot or minimalist shoes (I had to make my own back then, 2009), with full transition taking a year or so. The entire body has to learn how to move without cushion/high heels, et al. Once it does, wow, amazing difference for neck, back, strength, endurance, and flow of motion.

With abandon,
Patrick

Justin August

Aug 20, 2019, 4:08:55 PM8/20/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I disagree with DP on nearly everything except this.
Beyond bone damage the reason most folks end up needing arch support and the like to compensate for weak or unbalanced feet. Get flat shoes to start with, then move to thinner soles and your feet will repay you. On and off the bike.

-J

Mark Roland

Aug 20, 2019, 5:03:16 PM8/20/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I bought a pair of Bedrocks at the beginning of the warm weather this year in the Hudson Valley. Previously I had a pair from Merrell that I liked a lot, but they both broke in the same place (a plastic loop that the heel strap goes through) and after the second time, I never sent them back.

I like the Bedrocks--I have the Cairn 3d -- but on longer rides I was having numbness issues and fatigue. I repaired the Merrells with Duct Tape and use those for longer rides, such as my recently completed D2R2. Out of curiousity-- I'm generally not interested in weight-- I threw each pair on the kitchen scale. The Bedrocks were about a half pound heavier for the set. I'm thinking maybe the weight plus the thong have something to do with it. But I'm continuing to break them in and I am inching up the mileage, because I do like them.

A friend bought the non-molded ones at the same time and he says he had some kind of allergic reaction to the material, so I may be able to compare the thin vs thick soon.

The only drawback with the BR is, no socks. The Merrells have two over the foot straps and a heel strap, so I can wear those into the colder months.

Deacon Patrick

Aug 20, 2019, 5:26:08 PM8/20/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm confused, Justin. What exactly do you disagree with? Because it sounds like you agree with everything I wrote, with the possible exception of transition details. I only gave the details of my transition to barefoot for context, not for "this is the only way to do it." Your description of transition is a viable way to get to the same place: feet strong enough to love minimalist shoes and going barefoot.

With abandon,
Patrick

Loren Rogers

Aug 21, 2019, 12:43:12 AM8/21/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
My favorites used to be Keen Newport H2 but my newest pair weren’t as comfortable, I tried Chico’s but like others have stated they are heavy and uncomfortable. I bought a pair of Bedrock classics and once I figured out the fit they disappeared on my feet. I like the fact that I don’t have heel strike on my crankset like the Keen’s or the Chaco’sI have been riding in them most of the summer. They are great.
Loren Rogers

Drw

Aug 21, 2019, 12:50:01 AM8/21/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Another note about bedrock classic (non cairn). They are basically paper thin and easy to roll up. great/small/easy to carry on a trip or tour where you’ll primarily be wearing shoes but want a sandal alternative for some parts.

Justin Wyne

Aug 22, 2019, 3:28:57 AM8/22/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've tried ever strap configuration and a few sizing swaps with Chacos and just never found a pair that has worked. Being a tall but thin and big footed fella the Chacos always felt so cumbersome and not very good at all if I happened to go swimming in them. I'm someone who uses orthotics of some sort in ever shoe/boot I have and just assumed the footbed of the Chacos was the way to go. I had the opportunity to stop in a the little Bedrock factory and meet the 4 or 5 employees and try them on, and I left a happy supporter. I could never wear the most minimalist pair as I need padding but the other models are just fantastic. I despise flip-flops and the toe thong of the Bedrocks hasn't given me much trouble, maybe a bit in the beginning when I was still figuring out how tight to secure the straps the thong could get a little uncomfortable while riding or hiking. But I learned to not secure the sandal based on the line between your toes, instead the ankle, heel, and instep adjustments gets you dialed in.