Cutting tnreadless steer tube

Richard Rose

Jan 16, 2023, 10:40:41 PM1/16/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Perhaps a question for Gus owners only? Is there a consensus on cutting down steering tubes? My Bosco bar will arrive in a day or two & I anticipate I will end up with a lot of extra steerer. How much is too much above the stem once the fit is dialed in? Not just an aesthetic issue but a practical one as well.

Ed Carolipio

Jan 16, 2023, 10:54:22 PM1/16/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Unknown if there's a consensus but I personally cut the steerer so I can install a spacer above the stem. That allows the stem cap to compress against the spacer on assembly instead of the stem. Rule-of-thumb for me is at least a 10mm spacer. I have a 20mm spacer now on my Gus with a Tosco handlebar.

--Ed C.

Joe Bernard

Jan 16, 2023, 11:25:36 PM1/16/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ed's solution is probably a good guideline. I would add to not be in a hurry to cut it, you may ride it for a while and realize Boscos aren't your thing and will need extra steerer for a lower bar. I would put a bunch of spacers on top and let it be weird for a couple months!

Richard Rose

Jan 17, 2023, 7:01:04 AM1/17/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks folks. You all have confirmed my own thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 16, 2023, at 11:25 PM, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:

Ed's solution is probably a good guideline. I would add to not be in a hurry to cut it, you may ride it for a while and realize Boscos aren't your thing and will need extra steerer for a lower bar. I would put a bunch of spacers on top and let it be weird for a couple months!

On Monday, January 16, 2023 at 7:40:41 PM UTC-8 rmro...@gmail.com wrote:
Perhaps a question for Gus owners only? Is there a consensus on cutting down steering tubes? My Bosco bar will arrive in a day or two & I anticipate I will end up with a lot of extra steerer. How much is too much above the stem once the fit is dialed in? Not just an aesthetic issue but a practical one as well.

Scott Luly

Jan 18, 2023, 10:23:57 AM1/18/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Richard,

Thanks for starting this thread.

I'm building a Gus, too, and judging by how looooong the steerer tube is unmounted I think it's likely I'll cut mine down to a more desirable length.

When I make the steerer cut, I'm going to leave enough minimum length above headset stack to allow for use of a stem style like this Discord Chromo Peeper . This style stem would be a great way to regain bar height, if needed, after cutting steerer.

Scott

Coal Bee Rye Anne

Jan 18, 2023, 3:10:49 PM1/18/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Personally, I've cut only a few of my own steerer tubes and being tall I've even needed to leave several stock length anyway, but one trick I've since discovered and applied to my last threadless build was using one of the expandable compression bolts/top cap assemblies meant for carbon forks so I could do plenty of test fitting and shakedown riding before full commitment with cutting & pressing a star fangled nut.

I also had picked up one of those problem solvers adjustable spacers (two halves thread together to adjust overall stack) with the intent of being able to use it for headset compression without any top cap.  I'd Install in it's shorter state within the stack of spacers and unthread after installing the stem and bars for the necessary headset adjustment.  For this latter example, I certainly wouldn't plan to do that while leaving excess and uncovered steerer jutting above the stem since that just seems like an accident waiting to happen but because several of my builds had long headtubes/require the long steerer I've often needed to begin with stem installation at max height anyway and then test to determine whether any cutting is even necessary.  It would work ok in that scenario, I think, but that last build I did had a replacement fork with the longest steerer I've had to date at 400mm, or maybe even 450mm, so I was able to pre-emptively cut those first several cm's off and then went with the expandable compression bolt until settled on stem/bar height and was ready to set a star fangled nut.

Enjoy your Gus!

Brian Cole
Lawrence NJ

Coal Bee Rye Anne

Jan 19, 2023, 2:26:20 PM1/19/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Many of you likely already know what I was referring to earlier but figured I'd follow up and at least provide a link for the parts I mentioned as interim solutions before cutting my threadless steering column and inserting the start nut

Expanding collet compression plug like this:

Adjustable headset spacer:

Funny thing about the adjustable spacer is I that I once obtained one along with with a hand me down project bike only to find it a rather interesting spacer but otherwise deemed it excessive to my needs, instead opting for a stack of standard spacers with the rebuild.  I ended up donating it along with a bunch of other unused and excess parts at that time but of course later came to realize it's usefulness a few projects later when I first came to cutting replacement forks!

Richard Rose

Jan 19, 2023, 5:54:25 PM1/19/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
My Bosco bar arrived yesterday. Unfortunately my bottom bracket did not. So this first mock up is without a crankset so it’s pretty much a “best guess”. My intent for this Gus is to duplicate my position / touch points from my Clem. Based on numerous measurements this represents my best guess. As I’d hoped, I should be able to have my bars as high as on the Clem but with a lot less stem / steer tube exposed. Though I plan to wait a while it certainly looks like I will be cutting some steer tube off this one.
image0.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone

Ryan Frahm

Jan 19, 2023, 6:39:28 PM1/19/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks great, so close!!

Brian Turner

Jan 19, 2023, 7:23:55 PM1/19/23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
It’s been mentioned in this thread already, but worth repeating: considering how high Boscos rise, just be careful you don’t cut off too much, just in case you want to swap bars later for something that might require a bit more stack.

On Jan 19, 2023, at 6:39 PM, Ryan Frahm <fra...@gmail.com> wrote:

Looks great, so close!!