fresh Riv content on the Radavist, plus TOP TUBE PANNIERS

Neil Doran

Aug 8, 2019, 3:21:13 PM8/8/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Amusing Sam Hillborne content over on the Radavist just now (https://theradavist.com/2019/08/al-morris-occult-of-cyclocamping-rivendell-sam-hillborne/), pretty nice and standard build of a Sam.

But, did anybody know that these existed? https://www.carradice.co.uk/ranges/originals/top-tube-panniers

I did not know I needed them until just a few minutes ago, and now I need them very badly...

Brett Callahan

Aug 8, 2019, 3:44:23 PM8/8/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
The top tube panniers look cool, but I'd hit my knees on them in stand up pedaling, I think.

What I want to know is how he got those levers to work with v brakes and no travel agent.

Joe Bernard

Aug 8, 2019, 4:34:14 PM8/8/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've used Dia-Compe non-aero levers with cantis on an XO-1, no problem. They don't operate like modern Shimano "SLR" levers intended for road calipers.

Joe Bernard

Aug 8, 2019, 4:36:02 PM8/8/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oops, strike that. You said v-brakes, I was looking at the other bike. Never mind! 😬

Drw

Aug 8, 2019, 4:58:48 PM8/8/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I believe there are some magic combos of non aero lever and v brake model that work adequately. I’ve seen it around a few times but couldn’t tell you which lever pulls more and which brake needs less.

dougP

Aug 8, 2019, 5:56:09 PM8/8/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Radavist site is pretty unpredictable so often entertaining.  Al Morris would be quite an addition to a campout.  Sounds like never a dull moment.  As to those panniers, I dunno, around $100US for 3.5 liters of cuteness?

dougP

Neil Doran

Aug 8, 2019, 7:04:13 PM8/8/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
As those who know me can attest, I love front-of-bike storage, which currently consists of Wald basket, Swift bar bag, AND a feed bag. Plus I have ability to run front panniers via my Nitto Campee 27f rack.

If I added those top tube panniers I would reach the next level of bike-front storage...

Jock Dewey

Aug 9, 2019, 9:09:35 AM8/9/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Those Carradice bags are the special Rough Stuff Fellowship Archive Kickstarter special offering.

If you don't have this book already, you need it!

Jock Dewey / Athens, GA

Marty Gierke, Stewartstown PA

Aug 9, 2019, 12:33:38 PM8/9/19
to RBW Owners Bunch

But, did anybody know that these existed? https://www.carradice.co.uk/ranges/originals/top-tube-panniers

I got in on the Kickstarter for these. I opted for the almost black dark green with honey straps. Brilliant! (And no, they don't hit my knees.)

IMG_6000.jpg

IMG_5993.jpg

Joe Bernard

Aug 9, 2019, 1:47:55 PM8/9/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
All I see is canvas rubbing on all that Joe Bell paint. My heart!

Marty Gierke, Stewartstown PA

Aug 9, 2019, 3:11:37 PM8/9/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 1:47:55 PM UTC-4, Joe Bernard wrote:
All I see is canvas rubbing on all that Joe Bell paint. My heart!

If I had time enough to allow the panniers to rub the paint off the top tube, that would be a badge of honor. I think you just gave me a new goal Joe.

Shawn Granton

Aug 9, 2019, 3:48:27 PM8/9/19
to RBW Owners Bunch

On Thursday, August 8, 2019 at 2:56:09 PM UTC-7, dougP wrote:
As to those panniers, I dunno, around $100US for 3.5 liters of cuteness?

Well, the Sackville Banana Sax has probably* the same capacity, and sells for $108...

Full disclosure: I own a set of the Carradice/RSF top tube panniers and love them. https://www.flickr.com/photos/urbanadventureleaguepdx/48286782817/in/dateposted-public/

-Shawn

*Hard to say exactly, since Riv doesn't always post those deets to the website.

Eamon Nordquist

Aug 10, 2019, 10:07:21 AM8/10/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I love the top tube panniers, and I think my top tube is long enough to keep my knees away from them, but I wonder how much they would mess with my downtube shifters. Downtube shifters were the norm for derailleur equipped bikes when those were designed, so maybe I should just get out a tape measure and see. The Rough Stuff folks seemed to like them. They look like they would be good for snacks, small camera, etc.

Eamon
Seattle

Brett Callahan

Aug 10, 2019, 12:59:37 PM8/10/19
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
They seem like the same great idea as is behind a feed bag or a fuel tank style bikepacking bag--essentials in easy reach.  Sounds like knee whacking isn't a concern.   Cool!