Brooks Brown v. Black

Matthew Williams

Jun 18, 2020, 5:00:15 PM6/18/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

I'm considering swapping my existing brown Brooks saddle and grips for a black set. I made a layered Photoshop file so I could review the colors on the bike.

Just curious, what you folks think.

bike_existing.jpg

bike_black.jpg

Deacon Patrick

Jun 18, 2020, 5:08:16 PM6/18/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm gonna need a picture of it in use before I give my opinion. Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick

Brett Callahan

Jun 18, 2020, 6:49:41 PM6/18/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I almost always prefer brown, BUT, I like the look of the black on your bike. The big question to me is whether you'll ever add gumwall tires, in which case my vote goes back to brown.

Joe Bernard

Jun 18, 2020, 7:03:16 PM6/18/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Black. Brown is too frame-matchy, the mustard/butterscotch needs contrast.

Clayton Scott

Jun 18, 2020, 7:08:21 PM6/18/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I prefer black on this one.

Clayton Scott

Drw

Jun 18, 2020, 9:35:21 PM6/18/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Black, since the frame is a brown shade

Steve Cole

Jun 19, 2020, 6:41:16 AM6/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Black. Since your tires have black sidewalls, the black saddle complements.  The brown saddle clashes with the mustard frame.  At least for me.

mark etze

Jun 19, 2020, 7:52:30 AM6/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Most times I prefer black, I like the brown on this one.

Doug Hansford

Jun 19, 2020, 8:33:48 AM6/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

Can't go wrong either way but I'd say the brown looks better. It blends well with the frame color.
Doug

alex g

Jun 19, 2020, 10:35:06 AM6/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Brown, it ages more than black. The wear areas become your fingerprint.

Benz, Sunnyvale, CA

Jun 19, 2020, 12:37:12 PM6/19/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Are we witnessing the birth of a bag matcher? :)

I agree with Brett — Black is good unless you’re going to run gumwall tires in the future.

William deRosset

Jun 20, 2020, 9:27:57 PM6/20/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I vote for riding the black saddle until it looks brown. I have one Berthoud saddle that is approaching antique brown via usage, and a Brooks Pro that is there. The well used but not abused look is the best one.

Best Regards,

Will
William M deRosset
Fort Collins CO USA

MCT

Jun 21, 2020, 12:34:08 PM6/21/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I am usually a brown color for Brooks saddles, but black works better with this frame color. Good luck with the choice. Either way you have a rad bike.

Matt in OKC

The Snag

Jun 21, 2020, 9:54:34 PM6/21/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
The black one is going to feel exactly the same as the brown one.....

Evan E.

Jun 23, 2020, 12:39:32 AM6/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I vote for the black saddle. (Looks better against the frame's color.)

Mark Roland

Jun 23, 2020, 7:43:45 AM6/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Just remember while you are imparting this beausage, do not wear your khakis. Because that type of patina in that area on pants is...problematic.

Will Ashe

Jun 23, 2020, 9:14:16 AM6/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch

Plus 1 on the black. It's a nice contrast with the butternut/mustard frame.

Will Ashe

Ginz

Jun 23, 2020, 2:15:38 PM6/23/20
to RBW Owners Bunch