When were butterscotch Appaloosas made?

Eric Grim

Dec 13, 2023, 9:10:35 PM12/13/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Does anyone remember, in what year (or years) were butterscotch-colored Appaloosas made?  The 2018 frames catalog lists blue and silver ones.  The website presently offers them in purple and olive.  Mine's butterscotch, but I don't remember when I bought it.  Pre-pandemic, I think it was . . .

Thanks in advance for any hints.

Eric Grim (Spokane, just a little ways North of the Palouse)

Ryan

Dec 13, 2023, 9:48:01 PM12/13/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
2015 or 2016

Coal Bee Rye Anne

Dec 14, 2023, 9:19:55 AM12/14/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think Ryan's got it with 2015-2016.  I took delivery of my butterscotch/mustard Clem H in late summer 2016 and this came after the Appaloosa was already released in the same color.

Not exactly sure if that Clem batch was considered Clem gen2 or just gen1b since I don't think they changed geometry or design of the smaller sizes yet but this was the 2nd batch of Clems when they added the 65cm H size in forest green and buttterscotch/mustard and I recall deliberately choosing the 'Appaloosa butterscotch' color after placing a spring 2016 pre-order for the incoming 65cm size.

Eric Marth

Dec 14, 2023, 10:16:36 AM12/14/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
This post on the Rivendell tumblr introduces the Appaloosa and it's dated December 19, 2015:

tumblr_nzkyu2pfic1qe3ngpo2_r1_1280.jpg

Michael Morrissey

Dec 14, 2023, 11:20:18 AM12/14/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I bought my butterscotch Appaloosa frame on March 8, 2016. Will told me it was one of the last ones (if not the last one, maybe only the last one in 55cm size) they had.

It is a great bike. I just rode it to work today in freezing weather 7.5 miles in.

Side note: I really wish someone would start putting together a list of production numbers, years, and colors the bikes came in. I have a small hunch Rivendell bikes will be very collectible years from now still, in the same way Serottas, Ibises, or Fat Chances are collectible now.

Michael

Bill Lindsay

Dec 14, 2023, 12:52:02 PM12/14/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I looked up Flickr photos of mine in 2016 as well.

BL in EC

Eric Grim

Dec 14, 2023, 3:00:03 PM12/14/23
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks, that seems pretty conclusive.  I appreciate all of you who responded to my question.

Eric Grim (Spokane)