Your Favorite Adhesive for Riv Cork Grips???

John Phillips

Jul 13, 2020, 1:19:26 PM7/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
  Do you have a favorite adhesive you use to keep them from rotating?

Thanks,

John

Brian Campbell

Jul 13, 2020, 1:55:07 PM7/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Piece of cloth tape on the handle bar and some Gorilla brand Super Glue. Not the kind the expands as it dries.

John Phillips

Jul 13, 2020, 7:12:34 PM7/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Brian,

   Do you mean the clear Gorilla Glue, or the clear Gorilla Super Glue. The super glue says it only gives you 10-45 seconds of working time.

Thanks,

John

Brian Campbell

Jul 14, 2020, 8:41:42 AM7/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
The super glue. I haven't timed myself but sliding a grip on  does not take 45 seconds. Also the working time is an estimate.

Paul Clifton

Jul 14, 2020, 10:48:48 AM7/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
At one point Riv suggested some like permatex gasket stuff. Its great! It holds the grips in place and I've been able to break them free and reuse them twice now. I'll take a photo later if needed but it's at the auto parts store.

Paul in AR

James / Analog Cycles

Jul 14, 2020, 10:49:50 AM7/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Super 77 spray glue.   Way less expansive than Gorilla Glue.  Wait for it to set up for 30 seconds then slip on.  Some will squirt out, just have a rag handy.  You need a good coating, but that's any glue.  We have glued hundreds of grips on using that spray glue.  Never slips.

-James / Analog Cycles

John Phillips

Jul 14, 2020, 1:28:36 PM7/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you everyone, that's a big help!

John

Ray Varella

Jul 14, 2020, 4:38:33 PM7/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Super 77 and the super 90 are permanent and you will have to pick the cork off in little bits to remove the grips.

If anyone has a solution to soften these adhesives, please share it.

Like James said, they will never slip.

Ray

Benz Ouyang, Sunnyvale, CA

Jul 14, 2020, 4:51:50 PM7/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Tuesday, July 14, 2020 at 1:38:33 PM UTC-7, Ray Varella wrote:

…If anyone has a solution to soften these adhesives, please share it.

Goo gone is purported to work.

Ginz

Jul 14, 2020, 7:10:03 PM7/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Amazing Goop “houshold” aka “household hogar”. It is Contact cement. Cork breaks up as you remove it but not terribly so. Heat gun would probably help.

Michael Baquerizo

Jul 14, 2020, 7:33:03 PM7/14/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
i've seen that glue referenced before (household hogar) and just wanted to let everyone know that hogar is just household in spanish, hah.

Jim S.

Jul 15, 2020, 8:58:34 AM7/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
John, I've had success with a strip of newbaum's tape. No glue, no nothing else. If you don't have enough tape, they'll rotate. If you use too much tape,  you can't get the grips on. But you'll figure out an amount that holds the grips in place. Then you can remove the grips later without needing a blow torch.

Ray Varella

Jul 15, 2020, 11:32:44 AM7/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Benz.
I’ll keep that in mind.

Ray

John Phillips

Jul 15, 2020, 3:29:49 PM7/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Jim,

     Are you using one strip of Newbaum's on the handlebar length-wise under the grip, or wrapping a strip of Newbaum's around the bar under the grip?

If I could get cork grips to work without glue, that would be fantastic.

Thanks,

John

Jim S.

Jul 15, 2020, 4:58:20 PM7/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
John, I just use a strip length-wise under the grip. You could try one on the top and one on the bottom, if one strip alone isn't tight enough. I can't figure out why, but the length of the strip matters. A longer strip seems to hold it in place more than a shorter one, but I"ve had it where if I make the strip too long, I can't get the grip on to the bar. So there's a sweet spot.

John Phillips

Jul 15, 2020, 5:51:55 PM7/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Jim,

   Would you guess you use a strip of Newbaum's somewhere between 1/2 the length of the cork grip and the full length of the grip?

John

somervillebikes

Jul 15, 2020, 7:04:03 PM7/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've used generic spray glues, can't think of any brand names. Maybe Ace brand... anyway it always works well for a year or so then loosens and I repeat. I suppose that might be better than the permanent stuff that forces you to chip away a cork bits when you want to remove them.

Anton