The Bombadil on Ebay

James

Dec 6, 2022, 8:12:55 AM12/6/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm so curious who bought the beautiful Bombadil that was on ebay recently.  The frame only, in a beautiful yellow, with the loooong diagonal tube.I've never seen one like it and I think if I ever get my appaloosa custom painted I will go with a bright yellow

Eric Marth

Dec 6, 2022, 6:59:42 PM12/6/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
That thing sold fast. There was another Bombadill up this week with a bid but someone went ahead and hit Buy It Now.

Eric Marth

Dec 6, 2022, 7:01:16 PM12/6/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
And just because I think every thread benefits from pictures, here are a few from the listing.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

Joe Bernard

Dec 6, 2022, 7:37:25 PM12/6/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
So. Many. LUGS!

Luke Hendrickson

Dec 6, 2022, 8:45:38 PM12/6/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Such a SICK frame. That’s what I want next. Easily the most beautiful Riv frame to me.

Ryan

Dec 6, 2022, 9:24:07 PM12/6/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
oh wow...that is gorgeous...i always thought a butter yellow frame would be sweet. those lugs.

maybe milk chocolate brown for HT and contrasts...but...nah...I like it the way it is.

APPROVE as BL would say

Minh

Dec 7, 2022, 11:54:48 AM12/7/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
wow, now thats a customer color, and imo a little non-rivish but stands out!   you got to be bold to put down an order for a color like that instead of the more traditional ones, bravo to whoever got it!

Trevor Bradshaw

Dec 11, 2022, 2:13:00 AM12/11/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow, this has my silver Bombadil a tad envious. What a beautiful banana frame!

Does anyone have more production details on the Bombadil? How many frames were made? Mine has always been a machine of lore to me.

IMG_0769.jpg
IMG_0706.jpg

Eric Marth

Dec 11, 2022, 9:58:01 AM12/11/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
@FoolishGold: Nice pics! That silver Bombadil needs to modifications!

There was some nice Hunq/Bombi discourse on "Which Riv would you resurrect" thread. But I'm gonna go ahead and start a thread.

Brian Turner

Dec 11, 2022, 10:05:47 AM12/11/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
John Watson (Radavist, Pro’s Closet, etc) just posted what I assume is this same yellow Bombadil on his Instagram stories. Perhaps he’s the one who snagged it?

On Dec 11, 2022, at 9:58 AM, Eric Marth <eric...@gmail.com> wrote:

@FoolishGold: Nice pics! That silver Bombadil needs to modifications!

Eric Marth

Dec 11, 2022, 10:13:45 AM12/11/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yeah, I confirmed with John he got that Bombadil ;)

Luke Hendrickson

Dec 11, 2022, 10:28:31 AM12/11/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Eric – man he’s been snapping up Rivs and Ritcheys left and right! I love it.

Chris L

Dec 11, 2022, 2:05:36 PM12/11/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think I've seen a Riv that was a very similar color......maybe a Hillborne.   I always thought it was a great color for a Riv!

Chris L

Dec 11, 2022, 2:23:32 PM12/11/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Found it and it was a Hillborne!   Taking lighting into account, it could be a very similar or even the exact color as the Bombadil.

2011-03-07_13_33_39.jpg

Ryan

Dec 11, 2022, 4:47:39 PM12/11/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks slightly darker than the Bombadil, but  still...a really nice subtle yellow. I have seen some lemony yellow Rivs ...and I think that color was an option when I ordered my Road in 2000, but I didn't like it as much as , say, these 2 iterations of yellow so I went with the Harvest Gold

Thanks for tracking that down, Chris!

I am dying to see how  the fellow from Radavist  will build up that Bombadil ! I'm sure he'll post photos and  a story once he does finish building it

Eric Marth

Dec 11, 2022, 5:22:06 PM12/11/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yellow was on an early stock color chart and one of Jan Heine's Rivendells is yellow. I seem to recall Jan posting a comment on the Riv instagram saying something nice about the yellow.

Screen Shot 2022-12-11 at 5.21.13 PM.png

Bryan Dalik

Dec 15, 2022, 2:17:22 PM12/15/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
For anyone that is interested, John Watson of the Radavist scooped up this frame super quick (within a few minutes). I sent him a message as he is building it up - it's going to get decked out in some very nice retro parts as probably a trail centric build. Looking forward to seeing it done.

Eric Marth

Dec 21, 2022, 6:34:23 PM12/21/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Update on Watson's Bombi: https://www.instagram.com/p/CmaZWguujlT/

And a pic for those who don't do instagram!

Screen Shot 2022-12-21 at 6.33.15 PM.png

Luke Hendrickson

Dec 21, 2022, 7:55:56 PM12/21/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes! Spoke to Bailey at Sincere Cycles here in Santa Fe about it. Wald bars and John swapped the wheels off of his Hunq for now until another set’s built up. Thank you for posting, Eric. I’m one of the non-IG ppl.

Paul M

Dec 21, 2022, 10:49:06 PM12/21/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sure resembles the original Breezer Series 1mountain bikes. Diagonal tube, Magura motorcycle brake levers, TA Specialties crankset, Brooks B-72...nice!

Dave Mchenry

Dec 22, 2022, 12:48:24 PM12/22/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Could you still get a custom Bombardil if you wanted one?

Dave McHenry

M: 0417 707 751