René Herse Steilacoom for... commuting?

Tim Tetrault

Jul 11, 2019, 4:58:12 PM7/11/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hiya Group-

Does anyone happen to use the Herse (ex Compass) Steilacoom tires for commuting?

...or for that matter, any Herse tire for everyday urban (with some hard pack trail) commuting? I'm imagining the knobs give some protection from glass that the slicks would not afford.

Or maybe I just need to relax and just get some Gravel Kings or Marathon Supremes and wait for that kind of tire experience once my kids are out of the house. : /

Thanks for your thoughts-

(Riding a Sam Hillborne)

Tim in Seattle

ted

Jul 11, 2019, 5:26:58 PM7/11/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I used compass 35mm road tires for daily commute of ~14 miles one way of which about third was dirt levies. Worked fine.

Deacon Patrick

Jul 11, 2019, 5:44:00 PM7/11/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
The new endurance casing may be good against glass and other debris. Conceptually seems well worth a shot. Let us know how it goes!

With abandon,
Patrick

Adam Adeane

Jul 11, 2019, 6:45:08 PM7/11/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I commute on Compass tyres in Manhattan / Brooklyn and have only ever had one flat, but YMMV?

Adam
Brooklyn, NY

Patrick Moore

Jul 11, 2019, 7:51:14 PM7/11/19
to rbw-owners-bunch
I don't commute because I work at home, but I do use the RH extra light 559 X 28 Elk Pass on both my "gofast" and my "errand" Rivs; both see occasional firm dirt, the last carries regular loads, some close to 40 lb in the rear. Fewer problems than with 559 X 32 Paselas.

Back in the day I commuted across town and did my grocery shopping on 200 gram 559 X 22 mm Specialized Turbos (nice tires, if only they had been half again as wide) and these did fine.

My ultra thin (450 grams) 700C X 60.5 mm Big Ones see regular dirt and gravel -- they are on my "gravel bike."

Still 'round the corner there may wait
A new road or a secret gate,
And though we pass them by today,
Tomorrow we may come this way
And take the hidden paths that run
Towards the Moon or to the Sun.
                                --- J.R.R. Tolkien
Resumes, LinkedIn profiles, bios, and letters that get interviews
By-the-hour resume and LinkedIn coaching
Other professional writing services
Expensive! But good.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nuevo Mexico, Etats Unis d'Amerique

Mark in Beacon

Jul 11, 2019, 10:09:54 PM7/11/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
My main commuter bikes all have RH nee Compass tires. They are: Barlow Pass EL on my Takara, RTP on my Trekendell (also Thunder Burts) and most recently, Steilacoom standard version on my Huffy Cyclocross. They are all excellent tires, very few flats. If you are commuting mostly road, the center knobs on the rear of the Steilacoom are wearing rather quickly. But I've also done some long weekend riding with not enough dirt. Still, I just picked up another pair of Barlows and I will probably save the Steilacooms for the damp muddy dirt rides for which they were designed. But they ride so well on pavement, including great cornering at downhill speeds, its going to be hard to take them off, they give the bike the real cyclocross vibe! My commute is 12-25 miles round trip, depending on route, from Beacon to Newburgh and back.

IMG_1441.JPG

MVIMG_20190421_135735747(3).jpg

Shoji Takahashi

Jul 12, 2019, 9:37:13 AM7/12/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Tim,
I commute in Cambridge/Boston ~15 miles RT, which often includes short stretches of hard pack trail. My bikes have Compass 38 and 42 (650b) for the past few years. When I do get flat tires, it's often when the tires are worn down.

Good luck!
shoji
Arlington MA

R P

Jul 12, 2019, 1:26:56 PM7/12/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Tim:
I've been commuting and generally wandering around the greater Boston/Cambridge area on Compass/RH  42s on a Cheviot and 38s on an All-City for the last 5 or so years on pavement (or what passes as pavement in construction in the summer which includes milled surfaces, gravel and/or a patch work of all of the above plus steel plates..sooo delightful!).

Regular commute/errands are about 10-15 mi/ daily. Only one flat to date from an errant sharp wire--probably from all the construction debris.

Hope this helps!

Rachel

Tim Bantham

Jul 12, 2019, 5:40:03 PM7/12/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Tim, FWIW I also have a Sam and currently ride 38mm Gravel King slick treads. I really like these tires. I have them set up tubeless on Velocity Quill rims and find that combination to be about perfect. That said I too am curious about Steilacoms and wouldn't think you would be disappointed if you went that route. My only experience with Compass tires on my Sam have been the Barlow Pass EL casing. I loved the tires but found them to not be as durable as I would like them to be. If you went the route of Gravel Kings I think you would be happy with them.

Tim

Eric Karnes

Jul 12, 2019, 7:37:18 PM7/12/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I rode Steilacooms on my Hanford custom commuter for about a six months on the paved (and I use that term loosely) streets of Philadelphia and found them more durable than the Squ-something-ie Passes they replaced. Perhaps it was the knobs, but I never flatted during the time they were on there. Granted they were the standard, not the extra lights...

Tim Tetrault

Jul 15, 2019, 1:18:19 PM7/15/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks all for the responses.

In the ultimate anti-climactic resolution to this question, probably for a bit, I found an old Vittoria Cross Ranger (I guess this evolved into the Randonneur?) 700x38 and threw it on the back, and double checked that I'm still good to go with my Marathon Supreme up front.

Findings, of note:

1. There's quite a bit more air in a 38cm tire vs a 35- bumps that I'd feel a tiny snap to ride over with 35s have sort of blended into the white noise of the road with this new rear tire (with lower psi)
2. Heavy tire = slow to get going = harder to slow down, even if just by a little.

TLDR; Jan and Petersen are right

Anyway- when it's time, I'll likely have a hard time deciding between the Gravel Kings and the Barlow Pass...

Tim

Adam Leibow

Jul 15, 2019, 2:15:03 PM7/15/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
my sam hillborne is outfitted with compass snoqualmie pass standard casing and i use it for commuting, bike camping, and mixed terrain rides. it's great; don't think you need the knobs unless you need knobs for mud or hard cornering in wet grass or something.

Wilson Wilson

Jul 16, 2019, 10:30:15 AM7/16/19
to RBW Owners Bunch
I use to commute from Waldorf, MD to Bethesda, MD four to five days in a row on Rat Trap Pass. The first version sans tube less. It really mattered what tire pressures were being ran to whether or not I would get punctures. Back then before improving sections crossing over Route 210 were splattered with turn asphalt and steel tire tread. Increased tread only gives you a much larger margin of reducing the punture right at the moment. When I used something like a Nobby Nic, I would still spend time removing embedded wire or glass shards.